Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 03-13-09, 08:37 AM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
You're Millford, Peterborough ride sounds good. I have a fun ride that I do quite often that involves Worcester, George Street, and Mt. Wachusett. When it gets nicer just yell and i'll ride.
Is it just me, or does Mt Wachusett get steeper every year? LOL...these 50+ legs are finding it harder and harder to make it to the top! I do wish they would resurface the "down" road though. I'm scared to death when I descend. Conversely, the main road going past the ski area is fun, I can hit 50 mph on it. I feel like such a kid!
Old 03-13-09, 09:35 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I only do this once in a while but how many of you use the "bit off more than I can chew commuter rail option" for your rides outside of Boston?

I've grabbed trains in Attleboro when I knew I left too late to make it home by dark. Same thing on the Framingham/Worcester line. And even on my most recent outing I had to make a quick detour back to Boston for an obligation I'd forgotten (my wife drove me back) but then to continue my trip cycled a quick 10 miles to the train station and grabbed the commuter train to Providence and pretty much picked up where I'd left off.

I feel "oh so European" when I do this. It also works if you want to get a jump on traffic on a long ride- take the train to Worcester, for example, as a start for a cross Mass. ride or up to NH or VT.

I had a late start on my long ride from Providence (1:15). I was reassured once I got to Franklin and much of the rest of my ride paralleled the commuter train so it gave me the option to ride to the next town at any time and just hop on the train.
Old 03-13-09, 08:55 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Hey Buzzman: Would like to meet up with you and ride closer to the city sometime. I plan on taking my bike into Boston this year and spend the day rolling thru the city. My wife and I go there several times a year and spend the day walking the city, so now I want the bike part.

Suzie: I was doing Mt Graylock in N. Adams every year, but they closed it for two years to resurface the roads. It opens back up this year so i'll give it a shot, I like pain I guess.

I always hate the down road at Mt. Wachusett, but once you get on Mile Hill Rd. you can blast by the ski lodge. I'm not far behind you at 49 year old legs.
Old 03-13-09, 10:06 PM
buzzman
----

Hey Buzzman: Would like to meet up with you and ride closer to the city sometime. I plan on taking my bike into Boston this year and spend the day rolling thru the city. My wife and I go there several times a year and spend the day walking the city, so now I want the bike part.

Suzie: I was doing Mt Graylock in N. Adams every year, but they closed it for two years to resurface the roads. It opens back up this year so i'll give it a shot, I like pain I guess.

I always hate the down road at Mt. Wachusett, but once you get on Mile Hill Rd. you can blast by the ski lodge. I'm not far behind you at 49 year old legs.

IM me. I ride into and out of Boston pretty much every day. And, if I can maintain any kind of discipline, will be doing my loops west of the city with some regularity.

I have no speed right now so you may be disappointed if you're looking to hammer about.
Old 03-14-09, 04:37 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Riding the FG w riding buddy up to Waltham for the museum bicycle exhibit (CRW going at 10AM but I'll be later) then looping around Waltham and back. Should be great weather and always great food on Moody St.
Old 03-14-09, 07:16 AM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never ridden up that mountain, I hear it is a LOT harder than Wachusett. My road bike has a 39x25 and if it's more difficult, I'd probably end up walking the steep parts. The top section of Wachusett really makes me work! I could probably do it on my MTB with the lower gearing.

That's OK, I'm done getting any older. It'll take you 7 years but I'll just wait for you to catch up and pass me.
Old 03-14-09, 07:39 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Hammer about ! Not umless I want to taken away in an ambulance. I'm hoping my son brings back my 2 winter bike's. He has had them with him at school since last fall, for him and his roomate to use. I've been using my Zipp's for winter riding which make's it tougher with the gearing I have on them. Buzzman i'll give you buzz (LOL) soon.

Suzie: Graylock is a lot tougher than Mt. Wachesett, from the N. Adams side. Some have told me it is easier from the back side, but I have never tried it from that side. The highest peak in Mass.
Old 03-14-09, 06:50 PM
buzzman
----

I have a place in western MA and do Greylock regularly. It has been closed for 2 years for the road reconstruction but my understanding is it is now complete. It's always been a great ride but improved road conditions should make it spectacular. My loop takes me up the backside (from the North) of the mountain, which is a bit steeper but was such an awful descent due to frost heaves and potholes that I preferred the somewhat less intense descent of the southern route.

I think a 39x25 would be tough unless you're in really good shape. There are some sections that are hairpin and extremely steep and come on the heels of a few miles of steady tough climbing. It's nice to have something to drop into so that you don't come to a screeching halt and tip over!

I hope to see you all up there this summer- the view is fantastic.
Old 03-14-09, 06:58 PM
sherbornpeddler

You Young Legged Hill Climbers,
I gained weight as a 50 mile fixed gear flatlander today. Great bicycle exhibit at the Waltham Museum perfectly followed with lunch at Wilson's Diner then javaberry ice cream at Dairy Joy in Weston on to Concord and south along the Sudbury River to Wayland via Plain and Rice, over to Rivers School and back via Wellesley.

Late spring, early summer I should give Wachusett or Greylock a multispeed try.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 03-14-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-09, 06:24 PM
sherbornpeddler

Weekend is looking good!
Old 03-19-09, 07:45 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Felt shi**y most of the week, no bike since last Sunday. Doing better today so will be down riding in Leominster Friday after lunch, no set route. Saturday I think i'll take rte.12 into Keene, NH. and back. Sunday will roll out of Westminster thru Sterling, Leominster, Fitchburg, Ashburnham, and then home. Can't wait to get the legs rolling again. I'll stop into Gearworks Friday and see Gene about a road bike. I haven't had a road bike set-up since I stopped racing about 12 years ago, been getting the itch for one lately.
Old 03-20-09, 09:10 PM
buzzman
----

I managed to get in a 45 mile ride out through Concord today. (in addition to my 20 mile commute- so a 65 mile total). I layered up and I was fine but then I got a flat about 10 miles from the end and had to take my gloves off to get the tire on the rim and my hands got brutally cold and I didn't have real warm gloves. My hands were so cold I could barely shift or brake and had to make fists and shake my hands out for a couple of miles. After I climbed a couple of hills at a high rate of speed I started warming up and was fine by the time I got home.

But it's still pretty cold out there! Some areas still had quite a bit of snow on the ground and I could feel the difference in air temperature when I was near it.

I'm still pretty slow but was happy I was putting some miles in.
Old 03-25-09, 05:12 PM
sherbornpeddler

I've been lagging y'all. Monday got back on the bike even though it was racing a dutch computer 20 miles on my indoor trainer.

Tuesday 37 miles Strawberry Hill loop. My FG is in the shop for it's free 200+ mile tune up/repair of a broken spoke and popped strand on brake cable) so I'm back on trusty Fierte.

Today, 104 miles via a sandwich in Carlisle, fig newton in Wayland, a zapped potato w/goat cheese at home then the same Strawberry Hill course. 17.2 mph avg. better than I expected. Wachusett and Greylock beckon.
Old 03-25-09, 07:13 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Got out for a little 24 mile ride around town today. The next few days I have alot of tree clean up i'm doing for friends, so that's my workout. I haven't checked the weekend forcast yet, hope it's good to ride.

Finished tuning up my flamed Zipp2001, and had it picked up Tuesday. I have a friend that I let use every year for tri's, see it in the fall.

Got my winter Cannondale Multi-sport back from my son, spent 2 hours today breaking it down, cleaning, and tuning it up. That's what I rode for my ride today.

The black Zipp2001 is now down in the basement, and i'll break it down and tune it up over the next week or so.

The Zipp2001 unassembled frame is going to Gearworks in the next week or so to be sold. I've been putting it off because it's been with me since berth, and it's hard to let go.
Old 03-25-09, 09:22 PM
buzzman
----

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler

...Today, 104 miles via a sandwich in Carlisle, fig newton in Wayland, a zapped potato w/goat cheese at home then the same Strawberry Hill course. 17.2 mph avg. better than I expected. Wachusett and Greylock beckon.

whoa! very impressive!

I'm hoping to get some miles in tomorrow and a few more Friday- though I'm watching the weather and it's looking iffy for Friday- maybe I can grab some time on the bike on Saturday.
Old 03-27-09, 11:54 AM
sherbornpeddler

can't stand it....
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...y=134&site=BOX
Fixed gear is back
60F
added brake cable adjusters
sunny
must ride....

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 03-27-09 at 11:54 AM. Reason: sequence
Old 03-27-09, 12:16 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
I managed to get in a 45 mile ride out through Concord today. (in addition to my 20 mile commute- so a 65 mile total)...I'm still pretty slow but was happy I was putting some miles in.
I've been lagging y'all. Monday got back on the bike even though it was racing a dutch computer 20 miles on my indoor trainer.

Tuesday 37 miles Strawberry Hill loop...

Today, 104 miles via a sandwich in Carlisle..17.2 mph avg. better than I expected. Wachusett and Greylock beckon.
can't stand it....
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...y=134&site=BOX...60F...sunny...must ride....
I rode 12 miles this week over three days--I was sick
Old 03-27-09, 12:18 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only do this once in a while but how many of you use the "bit off more than I can chew commuter rail option" for your rides outside of Boston?
I haven't done an impromptu bail to a commuter rail per se, but I did do one ride to Holliston on my Trek to visit ANT and talk to Mike about building up a bike, then took the commuter rail back from Framingham because I had to be home in time for a dinner party.

I've also ridden the commuter rail out to Springfield to do a 400k in Westfield, then took the train back home; and also the girl and I planned a weekend around taking the North Shore bike train up to Rockport, overnight with some friends, then do a Tour De Cure century around Cape Ann and Essex County then ride back to Boston. That was a nice little weekend; and travelling by train has always been generally pleasant (if not always punctual)
Old 03-27-09, 12:26 PM
spokenword

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and just to add for spring riding so far ... I'm prepping for a 1000k out in Vancouver Island in June, so have been stocking the upcoming schedule with brevets out of Westfield and Hanscom. Did a 200k out in Westfield last weekend that went up to Deerfield, MA, then looped back and headed down to Simsbury, CT. A little chilly and windy, but got through it ok. This weekend, I'm just working on strength, but will probably do another century the next weekend and a 100k on the following.

Aside from that, it's the 6.7 mile commute from Belmont to downtown everyday for the past year or so. Glad, for once, to be able to commute again with just one layer.
Old 03-27-09, 03:59 PM
sherbornpeddler

James de Boston,
Sunday! Be sick on rainy Sunday. Not "sunny days"!
I wish you a speedy recovery.

I assume it is a cold and nothing too serious.
Speaking of health and biking, a very fine gentleman and dedicated cyclist hit a utility pole in Holliston, MA and suffered serious head, hip and other injuries. His helmet broke but no doubt prevented worse damage.

I have no idea what precipitated his accident but was reminded by a North Carolina transplant how bad are our spring roads with heaved open cracks and pot holes. Kepp your eyes on the road and not on my snappy odometer or other gizmos and gadgets.

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 03-27-09 at 04:00 PM. Reason: format
Old 03-27-09, 04:05 PM
sherbornpeddler

Originally Posted by spokenword
oh, and just to add for spring riding so far ... I'm prepping for a 1000k out in Vancouver Island in June, so have been stocking the upcoming schedule with brevets out of Westfield and Hanscom. Did a 200k out in Westfield last weekend that went up to Deerfield, MA, then looped back and headed down to Simsbury, CT. A little chilly and windy, but got through it ok. This weekend, I'm just working on strength, but will probably do another century the next weekend and a 100k on the following.

Aside from that, it's the 6.7 mile commute from Belmont to downtown everyday for the past year or so. Glad, for once, to be able to commute again with just one layer.
Good golly!
Bravo brevet! I've never tackled an organized ride more than 100k. Maybe this year. I've got good lights now and I'm testing new orthotics. Sore feet are my weak link. ....Ok that and my sense of navigation.

SpokenW, so daily commuter miles between long weekend rides? Wow.
Old 03-27-09, 04:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
James de Boston,
Sunday! Be sick on rainy Sunday. Not "sunny days"!
I wish you a speedy recovery...
Thanks for your gracious note; see my PM reply.
Old 03-27-09, 08:44 PM
buzzman
----

Originally Posted by spokenword
I haven't done an impromptu bail to a commuter rail per se, but I did do one ride to Holliston on my Trek to visit ANT and talk to Mike about building up a bike, then took the commuter rail back from Framingham because I had to be home in time for a dinner party.

I've also ridden the commuter rail out to Springfield to do a 400k in Westfield, then took the train back home; and also the girl and I planned a weekend around taking the North Shore bike train up to Rockport, overnight with some friends, then do a Tour De Cure century around Cape Ann and Essex County then ride back to Boston. That was a nice little weekend; and travelling by train has always been generally pleasant (if not always punctual)

Great idea to grab the train to Springfield! Where did you get off and on to do that? I've been getting the notices of the Westfield brevets after doing the D2 R2 last summer but am philosophically challenged to driving a car to a bike ride so I haven't headed out to do any. I have a place in Western MA and when I'm out there I hope to join in on at least one of their rides. Especially since one of them goes only a few miles from my home.

In the meantime my rides are out here. My hope is to do the ride back from my Western MA place next weekend, which is just over 200k (136 miles). The hills and wind are in my favor on the way back to Newton so it's a better first long ride of the year for me than the reverse.

edit: I see that is an Amtrak train- the "Lake Shore Limited". How accommodating was that train to a cyclist? Did you need to box your bike? If that train is "bike friendly" that could be great for me.

Last edited by buzzman; 03-27-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 04:57 AM
sherbornpeddler

probably already looked. looks like calling is necessary for official policy. https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...487&ssid=11114
It does look good, a standard $18, 2 hour ride from South Station, gets you in just after 2PM so either late start and night ride or depart the next day.
Old 03-29-09, 10:50 AM
spokenword

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit: I see that is an Amtrak train- the "Lake Shore Limited". How accommodating was that train to a cyclist? Did you need to box your bike? If that train is "bike friendly" that could be great for me.
you have to box your bike and check it in as luggage. Not ideal, but I didn't mind it, and the station keepers at Springfield allowed me to leave the box in the station and reuse it on the return trip, so that I wouldn't have to pay the fee twice over.

I will post, as a warning, that the return train from Boston is notoriously late since it's frequently delayed by freight traffic using the same lines. Usually, I've only made train travel work by basing an entire weekend around it. (ie. take time off from work on Friday afternoon, arrive in Springfield friday night, ride on Saturday, return late Sunday).

Also, as an additional caveat to folks contemplating taking the train to Springfield and riding to Westfield, avoid Rt. 20. That road is a nasty piece of work (and this coming from a guy who commutes into Post Office Square on a daily basis), it adds a few miles to the journey, but it's much easier to just detour south via 147, Springfield St. and 57, then come into Westfield through N. Longyard and Shaker Rd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.