Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

70s F W Evans: Somebody, please cancel my internet

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

70s F W Evans: Somebody, please cancel my internet

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 05:45 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
That is a link that I didn't find earlier, thank you for that. At the link there is something very interesting:

"
When FW Evans died during the war (knocked down by a milk float) his wife took over the business for several years, before selling it to Joe Smith. By the time I was a regular visitor, along with cycling author Richard Ballantine, the shop had moved round the corner to Kennington Road. Joe’s son Gary ran the relatively up-market operation with frames hung up in rows along the ceiling and bikes on the floor as far as you could see. Through a hole in the floor you could peer into the workshop where frame-builder Harry Healey built custom frames (models like the Continental and the Classic) and Bob the mechanic serviced bikes. It was in the window of the shop that I spotted what appeared to be the perfect bicycle — a gleaming black frame, gold components and superb vintage gold transfers saying ‘The Evans’ in a 1920s-style script. The lugs were Spearpoint but with the uncommon addition of round cut-outs. I learned that it was Ballantine who had uncovered the old (20s) transfers and assembled the glorious machine. It turns out that Ballantine, an old LCC member, still owns and rides the bike.

Gary Smith expanded the Evans business, moving to The Cut at Waterloo and then opening another shop nearby. Harry the builder was moved into yet another basement and continued brazing until he died in the 1980s. Thereafter Evans frames were made by outside builders like Nigel Dean and Bob Jackson (who also built the second generation Hetchins). Touring frames continued to be a speciality.
So, the frame builder that Doug Fattic met and photographed in 1975 very likely could have been Harry Healey.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 04-13-20, 06:50 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

read this also with interest.

was puzzled as to what be a "milk float."

---

also an Evans marque in the U.S. -

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ev...nt-700.169215/

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-14-20 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-14-20, 10:25 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Here's a slightly older Evans, from the mid-50s to the early 60s

The photomontage above is Hilary Stone's, but there are a bunch more detailed photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131757...h/26016887023/

As noted by Doug Fattic above, its construction and detailing are very nice indeed. It's not a real lightweight, like an early 50s R.O. Harrison that I also have, but it's no slouch for a Reynolds 531 bike. The badge says "Kennington Rd" which I assume is the original shop, and the serial number is "0207". I guess they thought they might build as many as ten thousand.

It has early Simplex 880 forged dropouts, the drive side rear of which broke where it entered the seat stay, and was brazed together. I've been searching for a replacement for years (actually have a Jeunet frame outfitted with them, but didn't care to wreck that to harvest a single dropout) -- and a few months ago ran across an eBay auction for an old frame for ~$40 or so, and persuaded the seller to chop off the dropouts and a few other bits and send to me for the auction price. Now I just have to get out of prison so I can have the Evans frame "corrected". I love the hand-painted Evans logotype running vertically on the down tube (have to view that in my Flickr album) and would like to repaint the frame, but duplicate that feature.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 04-14-20 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 01-17-21, 06:32 AM
Neil S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an older thread but one of the better F.W. Evans information sources I've been able to find. Thank you all for that. It's really a shame the company didn't catalogue their own history better. I live just South of Baltimore Maryland and picked up an Evans last spring. The owner had 2 lovely Bob Jacksons, one beautifully restored F.W. Evans and one rough F.W. Evans "Frankenbike". I offered $100 for the Frankenbike and they sent it home for me. I knew nothing about F.W. Evans so I've been researching since Feb 2020. Anything remotely related, I bookmark and and filed. But this thread keeps popping up in my searches. I'd like to add my bike to this thread just in case somebody else is searching and maybe somebody can use some of this information in the future. . The bike had the original black paint, Evans Head and Seat tube decals and the sloped Reynolds 531 decal on the seat tube. I took lots of photos. The Decal is the Waterloo decal so it puts my frame date post 1977 when Evans moved to The Cut Waterloo location. I haven't been able to find another Evans frame remotely like this one. Believe me, I've Googled my fanny off. I do know that F.W. Evans would build to order, judging by the brazed on parts, I believe this was built to order. I have never seen these forks on an Evans but the serial number on the forks and on the BB match. So the frame is complete. No indication that anything was added to the frame or as it appeared to be original paint, complete with dents and scratches. I pulled out all the dents and filled where necessary. I'm in the process of repainting the bike now and will piece it back together when the clear coat gets good and hard. That will be several weeks from now. I screwed up the 1st paint job so I's being redone. Since I don't know what components the bike had on it originally and probably never will, it really doesn't matter what I put on it. My best guess would be a Campag groupset. I really just want a nice bike to ride and it rides like a dream.

The only things I have done with the bike was to replace the cheap mountain bike rear derailleur with a used Cyclone MKII found in the back room of a bike shop and a new chain. The cranks were Sugino AT with odd sized chain wheels. I replaced the 3 chain wheels. The Hubs are the original Phil Wood hubs so they are period correct. The shifters, brake levers, pedals and headset are Campag NR. Brakes are Suntour Superbe. Seat post is SR Laprade. Italian bars and 3ttt neck. Front Derailleur is a Shimano 600. I'm in no hurry to replace everything but I'd like to swap out a few components when they present themselves. I'd like to make it all period correct.

F.W. Evans serial # 5035

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post pictures unless I make 10 posts on this site first. If anybody would like pictures, let me know and I can send them to you. I really don't want to make 10 posts just to post pictures.

Last edited by Neil S; 01-17-21 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-17-21, 07:04 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
Pic assist for Neil

More pics here

Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 01-17-21, 07:43 AM
Neil S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you? Where did you get these?? I know I posted here in the spring but I couldn't find the tread... the problem being a noob. I only need several more posts before I can show better pictures, details of the lugs, BB, serial #s, braze ons etc.
Old 01-17-21, 07:43 AM
Neil S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's orange and white now.
Old 02-25-23, 10:08 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I don't normally revive zombie threads, but this one seems to be the main source of information for FW Evans Cycles.

While on vacation, I found a FW Evans bike at an Alabama antique shop. It is packed up in the car right now, so I'll get pictures when I get home in a couple days. It has Campagnolo dropouts, ornate lugs, and decals like the bike in the first post. The downtube decals are all gone, leaving only the shadow. It also came with tubular wheels, a TA crank, and the headlight mount on the right fork leg. The shift levers are Campy, but the derailleurs are Sun Tour. The paint is rough, so it could go either way for preserve vs. repaint. Hopefully, I can find decals.
Old 02-26-23, 05:33 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Pompiere, sounds great! Let us know.
Old 02-26-23, 06:40 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I don't normally revive zombie threads, but this one seems to be the main source of information for FW Evans Cycles.

While on vacation, I found a FW Evans bike at an Alabama antique shop. It is packed up in the car right now, so I'll get pictures when I get home in a couple days. It has Campagnolo dropouts, ornate lugs, and decals like the bike in the first post. The downtube decals are all gone, leaving only the shadow. It also came with tubular wheels, a TA crank, and the headlight mount on the right fork leg. The shift levers are Campy, but the derailleurs are Sun Tour. The paint is rough, so it could go either way for preserve vs. repaint. Hopefully, I can find decals.
Three years hardly constitutes zombie status, in my opinion anyway. This has been a very interesting thread, like many here. Thanks for reviving it.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 02-26-23, 01:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
No such thing as a zombie thread in C&V. C&V threads develop patina.
Old 02-26-23, 11:19 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
"Hopefully, I can find decals."

H Lloyd cycles appears to have them available.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 02-27-23, 10:30 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts

Gotta share pics or we'll never believe you!

Old 02-27-23, 11:09 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Originally Posted by francophile
Gotta share pics or we'll never believe you!
Here's a couple I took in the shop to whet your appetite. Does anybody know how to fix a tubular tire?

1960's? F.W. Evans

F.W. Evans

I found what looks like the serial number stamped on the bottom bracket: 234. There doesn't appear to be any soft or incomplete stampings adjacent to it.

Last edited by Pompiere; 02-28-23 at 06:39 AM. Reason: added serial number
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-28-23, 06:59 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Fellow frame builder Mark Bulgier has a website with old bicycle brochures. One of them is an old FW Evans brochure from the 1930's that advertises his layout fixture so one does not have to do a full scale drawing. The principles used on his figure are the same ones I used on the laser cut fixtures I have made in Ukraine: https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/FWEvans-late30s/

This website has information on many classic era custom frame builders in the UK. Hillary Stone wrote this one: https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...ers/evans-f-w/.

There are many Evans bicycle stores in the UK. They don't make custom frames anymore like they did in their basement when I visited them near Waterloo Station in 1975. They have a website and some information about their history: https://www.evanscycles.com/help/company-history.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_Cycles
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 02-28-23, 10:51 PM
Pompiere

The stem and seat post are free! All it took was PB Blaster and patience. The frame has Campy dropouts, 27.2 mm seat post, Nervex lugs, so it seems to be a quality piece. The paint is really trashed, I don't think there is any hope of saving it. Derailleurs were Suntour Vx. The bike had Grab-on bar padding, so I suspect it was last worked on in the 1980s. The seat post and headset are Campy. I wonder if the bike originally came with Campy derailleurs and they were swapped with the Sun Tour at that time.

Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-01-23, 09:36 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
The stem and seat post are free! All it took was PB Blaster and patience. The frame has Campy dropouts, 27.2 mm seat post, Nervex lugs, so it seems to be a quality piece. The paint is really trashed, I don't think there is any hope of saving it. Derailleurs were Suntour Vx. The bike had Grab-on bar padding, so I suspect it was last worked on in the 1980s. The seat post and headset are Campy. I wonder if the bike originally came with Campy derailleurs and they were swapped with the Sun Tour at that time.
Logical thought process. A lot of folks favored the ease of Asian vs. Italian.

It said, it's really interesting to see this with the old Campy vertical dropouts. I wasn't expecting that. Looks like it was a touring build. May help with dating, dropout and lug eras aren't my wheelhouse. Maybe @juvela can help shed some light on both. I consider him to be a superb BF resource in that arena!

I'd think long & hard about giving the frame a bath in OA for sure.

Old 03-02-23, 05:19 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
Found this in the July 1984 issue of Richard Ballantine's magazine, "Action Bike."

Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 03-02-23, 06:42 PM
Pompiere

I found what looks like the serial number stamped on the bottom bracket: 234. There doesn't appear to be any soft or incomplete stampings adjacent to it.
I removed the fork and found it stamped 284. Upon closer examination, the 3 on the bottom bracket could be a mis-stamped 8.
Old 03-05-23, 06:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile

It said, it's really interesting to see this with the old Campy vertical dropouts. I wasn't expecting that. Looks like it was a touring build. May help with dating, dropout and lug eras aren't my wheelhouse. Maybe @juvela can help shed some light on both. I consider him to be a superb BF resource in that arena!
-----

thar be an unexplored career awaiting thee in the field of comedy

---

see that Doug has already posted so shall need to be most careful

as am not remotely in his constellation

---

big thanks to Pompiere for sharing this wonderful find!

appears we are in the second half of the nineteen sixties here

the Campag Racing ends set Nr. 1060 is a helpful date bracketing limit

it is first shown in the Campag catalogue Nr. 15 of 1967

the prior catalogue, Nr. 14 of 1960, did not show it so we know it launched no later than '67 and no earlier than '61

unfortunately the product is not mentioned in Chuck Schmidt's Campag timeline

---

crown appears to be Vagner Nr. 12

pump peg NERVEX Ref. 845

rack eyelets NERVEX Ref. 893 bis

curved brake bridge may be NERVEX 600 serie item
these were offered vertically drilled, horizontally drilled, undrilled, flanged, unflanged & in assorted lengths

centrepull bridge at first glance resembles one we have all seen many times on french cycles but is not the same
note for example how washer stands off of strap

do not know maker, perchance an item from Haden or similar...

---

minor revision -

Pompiere mentions headset to be a Campag item

it hails from the venerable Thomas D. Cross & Sons Ltd of Bermin'ham (TDC) and is a model termed Continental Italia

[images courtesy of VB]

---

suggestion -

when disassembly completed and cleaning finished suggest to hang frame is a spot where you will frequently see it over time, of course being considerate of the feelings of Mrs. Pompiere

this to let you consider your course of action in an unhurried manner

am right up there with the "preserve & conserve" crowd but must agree this finish be a bit too far gone for that approach

with time, you will decide upon what you consider the best course...

thank you once again for sharing this outstanding find!

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-05-23, 09:42 PM
Pompiere

@juvela Thanks for the correction and your thoughts on the age of my bike. As I learn more about it, I feel like I stumbled upon a winning lottery ticket. I was pointed to a FW Evans Facebook group that has also shared some good information. I gave the frame a good scrub with Bar Keeper's Friend to remove some surface rust, but I think an Oxalic Acid bath will be in order. I have ordered a set of decals from H Lloyd Cycles. I will put the bike together and ride it a bit before deciding on paint. All of the pictures of original bikes I have seen have only one color. It seems a waste not to highlight the Nervex Professional lugs, either with lug lining or paint color. I have a pretty good collection of parts to put the bike on the road, but the Memory Lane and Monroe swaps are coming in a few weeks, so I'll have a shopping list for any remaining items. I'm not not trying to make it original, as long as it is comfortable and functional. I need to build a set of wheels with 120 mm spacing, since the ones that came with the bike have severe pitting on the braking surface. And I'll have to find another B17. Of course, I'll continue to post updates on the progress. I don't want to go too far because I may use the bike as my entry for the Clunker Challenge.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-25-23, 10:23 PM
Pompiere

So, I've got a couple rides in and I have to say I am very pleased. The fit is perfect, the bike feels like it was custom made for me. The ride over rough pavement and chip seal is very smooth. For the first rides, I borrowed the wheels from my Miyata. The dropouts are 120 mm, so I built a set of wheels with the proper spacing using hubs from the Box O' Crap. I'll keep riding it while I decide on paint. I have already received the decals from H Lloyd Cycles. Next week, I'll be shopping for bits and pieces at the Memory Lane and Monroe swaps.

F.W. Evans
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-25-23, 11:18 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

So, I've got a couple rides in and I have to say I am very pleased. The fit is perfect, the bike feels like it was custom made for me. The ride over rough pavement and chip seal is very smooth. For the first rides, I borrowed the wheels from my Miyata. The dropouts are 120 mm, so I built a set of wheels with the proper spacing using hubs from the Box O' Crap. I'll keep riding it while I decide on paint. I have already received the decals from H Lloyd Cycles. Next week, I'll be shopping for bits and pieces at the Memory Lane and Monroe swaps.
I can see from the picture your frame has fairly laid back angles. Certainly not 73º parallel like is common with more modern frames. With your handlebar height nearly the same as your saddle, this shallow seat angle balances your body weight over the pedals. The result is a comfortable smooth ride where you are not required to hold the weight of your upper body using the strength of your core or arms. You are now less likely to have wrist pain issues. The paint is a bit gone for any preservation and when it is redone should look as good as it rides.

By the way it is pretty unusual for classic British frames to have vertical dropouts. It is hard to build a frame with verticals and have the rear wheel exactly center between the stays. That is why horizontals with screw adjusters were the popular choice. They took away the extra time or accurate (read expensive) fixturing required to insure the rear wheel was precisely centered.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 04-25-23 at 11:23 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-26-23, 06:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I studied the photos for a long time before I contacted the seller and figured it was large 53 to large 54 and that's my best size. Contacted the seller and he said 54 cm, so it's my size. Showed the pictures to my wife and she says, "So, you'll cancel the order for the Bob Jackson." Actually, that's just a joke.
The frame looks like the seat tube is very laid back, maybe as far as 70 degrees, and the head tube maybe 72, but that seems to target the same geo and feel as the early '40s and '50s Club style bikes released by Raleigh from Nottingham. The low-curved fork looks like it has a lot of offset, and that suggests a pretty low trail. However, it's dodgy to compare geometries without a tape measure and an angle finder.
Old 04-26-23, 09:29 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by Road Fan
The frame looks like the seat tube is very laid back, maybe as far as 70 degrees, and the head tube maybe 72, but that seems to target the same geo and feel as the early '40s and '50s Club style bikes released by Raleigh from Nottingham. The low-curved fork looks like it has a lot of offset, and that suggests a pretty low trail. However, it's dodgy to compare geometries without a tape measure and an angle finder.
It is interesting to me how the fashion of frame design changes over time. A bike designed like this might be very popular today with the fit recreational riding crowd compared to the racy geometry much more popular now. The Brits prohibited road racing before WWII so as to not anger the general population by closing down roads. But they did ride their bikes a lot for general purposes and this bike fits that category. Pompiere's testimony to how well he likes its ride is an illustration of how this old geometry may be out of style but not because it won't work well for those not using a bicycle for competitive reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.