Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Older "Ultimate" bike repair stand and modern dropper posts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-05-23, 11:48 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have this old (1999) Ultimate repair stand. It worked fine grabbing onto standard fixed seatposts. Meaning the bike wouldn't spin around while in the stand.

It does have difficulty holding onto the inner post on a dropper post. Meaning the outside diameter is too small for the repair stands jaws to clamp onto firmly. So the bike spins on the seatposts axis.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

I know I can extend my dropper posts outer post and grab onto that, but then I have to get the post back to the right height, set the seat perfectly straight, and torque the seat post bolt down when I'm finished working on the bike.

Thanks

Old 06-05-23, 11:57 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I have this old (1999) Ultimate repair stand. It worked fine grabbing onto standard fixed seatposts. Meaning the bike wouldn't spin around while in the stand.

It does have difficulty holding onto the inner post on a dropper post. Meaning the outside diameter is too small for the repair stands jaws to clamp onto firmly. So the bike spins on the seatposts axis.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

I know I can extend my dropper posts outer post and grab onto that, but then I have to get the post back to the right height, set the seat perfectly straight, and torque the seat post bolt down when I'm finished working on the bike.

Thanks
I have the newer version of that stand, it still doesn't fit droppers. Cardboard?

juvela red red I like red...

Last edited by Schweinhund; 06-05-23 at 01:16 PM. Reason: just for fun
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-05-23, 12:02 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I have the newer version of that stand, it still doesn't fit droppers. Cardboard?

I wonder if Feedback sports make after market jaws for the vise end of the stand. Or if there are rubber pipe jaws that can be modified for this stand.
Old 06-05-23, 12:12 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
I wonder if Feedback sports make after market jaws for the vise end of the stand. Or if there are rubber pipe jaws that can be modified for this stand.
Worth a try!
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-05-23, 06:56 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Wrap a rag around the seatpost thickly enough that the clamp is tight enough that it won't spin
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 06-05-23, 07:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
Wrap a rag around the seatpost thickly enough that the clamp is tight enough that it won't spin
With the caveat that you should be extremely careful when clamping a dropper post and the rag should be clean so you don't introduce any nasty stuff or scratches to your dropper.

Wireless droppers are great because you can just remove it and put in a cheap-o rigid seatpost and clamp as you wish. Not saying that is the reason to get one but it is a nice benefit. That being said I won't give up my Thomson anytime soon.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-05-23, 08:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Cut a piece of hardware store rubber hose the needed diameter in half lengthwise. Or try wrapping the jaws in an old inner tube if that's enough
Likes For dedhed: