Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2013ish Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 Creaking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 04:52 PM
drewhosick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2013ish Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 with an FSA Gossamer crank system. It's a BB30a I believe. I just had a shop replace the bearings because I don't have the tools. I had it done because I started to get creaking sounds. It's not constant.

Anyways, I got my bike back but still have creaking. Today I took it apart and it seems that I might be missing spacers but I'm not 100% sure. I thought it came with two spacers, one on each side, in addition to the two seals and the one wave washer(non-drive side). I don't feel much play if any in the crank arms but it's possible it's just enough to still cause a random creaking sound. It all started after I made the stupid mistake of pressure washing the bike. I know, I know(now....).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it should have come with spacers for sure because I swear I thought it did and if that could be causing the issue. It's still not constant creaking in the fact that I can sometimes pedal 10+ revolutions and not hear it and then it can happen 3 times within a stroke or comes and goes more often and less often. I do find if I pedal less hard with my drive leg it's not as bad than when I pedal evenly. I also noticed that if I pedal really hard, it doesn't seem to be any worse than, say middle of the road power. In fact, it might actually help it somewhat get better. Finally, if I'm in low gear and not pedalling hard or going down hill, it doesn't seem to be as bad at all but not completely gone.

Any ideas if it's the spacers, if it could be something else maybe? And is it safe to pedal even if it isn't the spacers? I don't want to damage it either.
Old 06-07-23, 06:03 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
your best course is use a search engine and watch as others fight their FSA Gossamer Cranksets and bottom brackets which have CREAKING NOISES too.

search: installing FSA Gossamer Crankset and BB30 bottom bracket.

as i've found, many of their new BB's come without spacers.. they are direct fit... and the spring washer is a Crankset part, if i recall correctly.... i tend to AVOID FSA stuff now...

PS.. Most FSA cranksets make noises at some point in their lives.... and many of their high end SL-K Carbon Fiber cranks end up having loose pedal thread inserts... i fight a creaking set of FSA chainrings on my DB rail trail speeder... welcome to the FSA Creaks Club.
Old 06-08-23, 05:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Grease your seatpost and saddle rails. Then move through the many other possible creak sources. You shouldn't start with the assumption the shop did something wrong.
Old 06-08-23, 06:20 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
Also check chainring bolts and pedals are tight. My recent "has to be the BB" creaking was the RD hangar needing removal, cleaning and tightening.
Old 06-08-23, 10:12 AM
drewhosick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will check the chainring bolts etc... But I received an email back from the shop saying it's possible it still needs the spacer. I do have a very little bit of movement if I wiggle the crank arms. and while the Wave washer seems to be touching on both sides, it's not getting that much compression. Thinking it could use a bit of a shim. Also thinking it could be the chainring. I will try tightening those after lubing them and then if not they offered to have a look at no extra charge so I may do that
Old 06-08-23, 03:15 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by drewhosick
I have a 2013ish Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 with an FSA Gossamer crank system. It's a BB30a I believe. I just had a shop replace the bearings because I don't have the tools. I had it done because I started to get creaking sounds. It's not constant.

Anyways, I got my bike back but still have creaking. Today I took it apart and it seems that I might be missing spacers but I'm not 100% sure. I thought it came with two spacers, one on each side, in addition to the two seals and the one wave washer(non-drive side). I don't feel much play if any in the crank arms but it's possible it's just enough to still cause a random creaking sound. It all started after I made the stupid mistake of pressure washing the bike. I know, I know(now....).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it should have come with spacers for sure because I swear I thought it did and if that could be causing the issue. It's still not constant creaking in the fact that I can sometimes pedal 10+ revolutions and not hear it and then it can happen 3 times within a stroke or comes and goes more often and less often. I do find if I pedal less hard with my drive leg it's not as bad than when I pedal evenly. I also noticed that if I pedal really hard, it doesn't seem to be any worse than, say middle of the road power. In fact, it might actually help it somewhat get better. Finally, if I'm in low gear and not pedalling hard or going down hill, it doesn't seem to be as bad at all but not completely gone.

Any ideas if it's the spacers, if it could be something else maybe? And is it safe to pedal even if it isn't the spacers? I don't want to damage it either.
Do a search on clicks or creaking. There are myriad possible causes beyond the BB and BB threads.