Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

45 Years Ago: March 1978 in Bicycling! magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 05:49 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Articles/columns included are:
QUESTION MAN
IDEAS and INNOVATIONS
-- New Time Trial Records with IPD
-- Mairag Variable Geometry Crank
"On the Lighter Side of Bicycle Racing"

The following articles from this issue were included in past posts:

BICYCLE WORKSHOP: Saddles Part 2. (Equipment/Product Review (1978) Saddle Review)
Part I from the Feb 1978 issue is also there.

ROAD TEST: Custom Bicycles for Specific Needs (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-serotta.html)

Otherwise, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-14-23, 10:17 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
Owen Mulholland was three days older than I am, and was a lifelong friend. He got me started writing for bike magazines.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 03-14-23, 11:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The photo and reminder of Allan Kingsbery. For me, a memory both sad and angering. That was the time when the US cycling authority was ABRA (IIRC; I think that was 3 name changes ago). Putting riders first when it came to safety was not always emphasized. So - fast forward to 1980. Kingsbery was reigning US TT champ, defending his title in Wisconsin. Course was on a rural road, a quiet Sunday. It ran through a stop sign at an arterial with volunteer course monitors to stop traffic. 6 grade girls and too few. She/they (again I do not recall) was tied up with a stopped vehicle when both Allan Kingsbery and a cement truck working a Sunday job showed up. Kingsbery blew the stop sign. Truck driver just drove into the intersection just like any other with no stop sign (he was on a minor arterial). never dreaming a cyclist was going to blow the stop sign on the side street at 30 mph. (He had passed no signs warning him of a bike race happening. Hit Kingsbery square. He lived but that was the end of his racing.

By contrast, 3 years before when I was racing out of Boston under the district representative, Grace Jones, we all had to drive to New Hampshire for the State TT to do it on a state highway with an excellent shoulder and a very easy to monitor and negotiate roundabout as a turn around. (Irony - three years later, the top several placers would have qualified to put their lives at risk at the Nations.) Yes, we grumbled about having to drive to New Hampshire. And we all completely took for granted that we got to race on well laid out and monitored courses. It wasn't 'till I crossed the country that I realized what I witnessed wasn't always the norm. Then to read about what happened at the National Championships.? To the reigning champion? Because you were going to send him through a traffic control while riding to defend his title? That "governing" body lost my respect right there.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-14-23, 12:40 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Always great to read one of Owen Mulholland's articles! He provides a lot of insight and context to the basic story of a race.

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-14-23, 01:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbob
I rode the same national TT championships when Kingsbery got hit, maybe only a few minutes behind in starting order. I noticed a very loose situation at cross roads etc.. Perhaps luckily, I flatted one of my red tread Clement 195g seta extras at about the 10 mile mark.
The bike looking after you?

I had my avatar photo fix gear run into trivial chain slack issues before 2000' of descending to get home. Set the chain too loose and just moseyed down the hill. 5 miles from home the bike started bucking every time I touch the front brake. Both forks were about break. 1/3 and 2/3 cracked round the blades at the crown. (Metallurgy issue. Always heat treat high strength steel properly after nickle plating - or else!) I had a fork fail 3 years before Kingsbery got hit. Completely different injuries, but just as life changing.
Old 03-16-23, 03:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

The thing to do with your '70s Camaro or Firebird torn buckets was to fit real sheepskin covers on them. That is, if you could afford them at $50/ea. You could get the faux stuff for half that.
And these are Eddie Bauer brand........Nothing says class on your A@# like EB.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1: