Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

SON connectorless dropout/dynamo experience?

Old 09-19-22, 08:04 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
SON connectorless dropout/dynamo experience?

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm building a new bike and wondering if this is a useful "bling" upgrade. I haven't been able to find many user testimonials online.

I'm also wondering about the pragmatic side. Does the fork builder have to build it with a specific light attached? What happens if you want to switch out your light? And can you use it with a non-dynamo wheel?

Debating this vs. just regular internal fork routing...
Old 09-19-22, 10:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
You can use it with a non-dynamo wheel. I have one, I built a fork, and I have never used it for goofy reasons. Mostly because I'm slow and intend to get the frame painted some day. I have done quite a bit of riding with a shimano hub in that fork

There are some advantages to just getting a regular hub with the coax connector. That certainly solves most of the problems with the spade lugs. I have sat by the side of the road for more time than I wish to think about waiting for someone to fix the connection with those things.