Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Decent 26 inch rims, make/model/source?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-22, 06:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

This thread was prompted by a discussion in the touring section..rather than derail that thread, it should be a new discussion.

There's a reasonably good selection of 26 inch tires available yet, but 26" wheelsets and rims are a bit harder to find.

I'm interested specifically in decent quality RIM BRAKE rim makes/models/sources to build some wheelsets out of. (Good hubs and spokes are easily sourced.)

Sun Ringle(CR18 & XL Rhyno Lite) and DT Swiss(535) seem to readily or somewhat available.

I'm interested in what additional options are out there..thx
Old 11-04-22, 08:20 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
You can't go wrong with CR18s.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-04-22, 08:30 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 847 Posts
velocity dyad wheels. USA made not sure how great they are.

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-05-22, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Velocity makes a whole bunch of 559 ISO rims some of them also rim brake compatible and some disc brake compatible.A23

Aileron

Atlas

Blunt 35

Cliffhanger

Dually

NoBS
Alex also does some cheaper stuff which is decent and of course Sun Ringlé is always there. I have probably missed some other brands but those three come to mind but Velocity especially is a great option as you can get stuff for touring, road bikes, mountain bikes or heavy duty usage from them.
Old 11-06-22, 02:09 PM
jadmt

question for those way smarter than me..
looking at the specs on the velocity Dyad that I included the link for above, do the BSD and the ERD seem odd? the ERD is showing 535 and BSD 630. maybe a misprint?
Old 11-06-22, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
What makes them decent?

Inexpensive? Last forever? Inexpensive and last forever? Or just look aesthetically pleasing?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-06-22, 04:23 PM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
This thread was prompted by a discussion in the touring section..rather than derail that thread, it should be a new discussion.

There's a reasonably good selection of 26 inch tires available yet, but 26" wheelsets and rims are a bit harder to find.

I'm interested specifically in decent quality RIM BRAKE rim makes/models/sources to build some wheelsets out of. (Good hubs and spokes are easily sourced.)

Sun Ringle(CR18 & XL Rhyno Lite) and DT Swiss(535) seem to readily or somewhat available.

I'm interested in what additional options are out there..thx
I’ve used Rhyno-lites and they were fine for me.
Likes For Chicken_fat:
Old 11-06-22, 04:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
question for those way smarter than me..
looking at the specs on the velocity Dyad that I included the link for above, do the BSD and the ERD seem odd? the ERD is showing 535 and BSD 630. maybe a misprint?
Velocity also makes a 27" Dyad, so it's no doubt a copy-and-paste error.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-06-22, 05:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What makes them decent?

Inexpensive? Last forever? Inexpensive and last forever? Or just look aesthetically pleasing?
As an accused Velocity Fanboi here whose built up about a dozen or so...Velocity rims come exceptionally round & true right out of the box. They build up nice with a minimum of complications/hassles that so often happen on budget rims.

The spoke holes are drilled at an angle pointing towards the flange that spoke goes to. This eliminates unnecessary stress at the spoke hole or upon the nipple.

The rims are pinned/chemically welded at the seam. So if running tubeless, this has obvious benefits over manufacturers that pin only the seam.

The well is deep. This makes fitting tight tires a bunch easier. The con to this is loose fitting tires, run tubeless can be harder to seat. When running Panaracer/Rene Herse tires, I solve this with 2 layers of 10mm Velox tape before installing tubeless rim tape as normal.

The ERD listed is true. I don't even bother independently measuring before ordering spokes anymore.

Then there is the usual options of various colors & machined brake tracks or not that most manufacturers just don't offer...There is the option of just about any rim being available in about any drilling 24-40 spokes.

Oh, and all Velocity rims have a build tension of 110-130kg/f so you can build strong, stiff wheels that can carry heavy loads with a minimum of spoke breakage concerns that can occur with low tension or over loaded wheels.

In short: The Quality Control is high & the product is consistent, well thought out & brilliantly executed. The times I have dealt with their customer service, it has been exceptional.

Back to the OP:
For 26 inch tubeless, & support of tires as wides as 2.5 inches, the Cliffhanger is the obvious choice. They have a nice wide flat spoke bed to avoid fatigue cracking. If you don't care about tubeless, are running 1.75 inch tires & want to save a bit of weight, Dyads are decent. Or for a bit of added strength the Atlas has eyelets at each spoke hole.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-06-22, 05:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by base2
What makes them decent?

As an accused Velocity Fanboi here whose built up about a dozen or so...Velocity rims come exceptionally round & true right out of the box. They build up nice with a minimum of complications/hassles that so often happen on budget rims.

The spoke holes are drilled at an angle pointing towards the flange that spoke goes to. This eliminates unnecessary stress at the spoke hole or upon the nipple.

The rims are pinned/chemically welded at the seam. So if running tubeless, this has obvious benefits over manufacturers that pin only the seam.

The well is deep. This makes fitting tight tires a bunch easier. The con to this is loose fitting tires, run tubeless can be harder to seat. When running Panaracer/Rene Herse tires, I solve this with 2 layers of 10mm Velox tape before installing tubeless rim tape as normal.

The ERD listed is true. I don't even bother independently measuring before ordering spokes anymore.

Then there is the usual options of various colors & machined brake tracks or not that most manufacturers just don't offer...There is the option of just about any rim being available in about any drilling 24-40 spokes.

Oh, and all Velocity rims have a build tension of 110-130kg/f so you can build strong, stiff wheels that can carry heavy loads with a minimum of spoke breakage concerns that can occur with low tension or over loaded wheels.

In short: The Quality Control is high & the product is consistent, well thought out & brilliantly executed. The times I have dealt with their customer service, it has been exceptional.

Back to the OP:
For 26 inch tubeless, & support of tires as wides as 2.5 inches, the Cliffhanger is the obvious choice. They have a nice wide flat spoke bed to avoid fatigue cracking. If you don't care about tubeless, are running 1.75 inch tires & want to save a bit of weight, Dyads are decent. Or for a bit of added strength the Atlas has eyelets at each spoke hole.
Well I was asking what "decent" meant to the OP since the title asks for decent....

But perhaps your version of decent is similar to the OP's criteria for what makes a decent rim.
Old 11-06-22, 05:29 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

What makes them decent?

..the conventional definition of decent..that being good quality at a reasonable price.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-06-22, 05:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

..the conventional definition of decent..that being good quality at a reasonable price.
I've ordered a lot of stuff from this place. Though not rims or wheels. They've always had a reasonable price for the things I looked at....

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5527
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-06-22, 05:43 PM
fishboat

base2 ..thanks for the recommendation..the Velocities sound...pretty decent!

I run a set of 32H Cliffhangers on my touring bike and have had zero issues with them.

With winter coming, I figured building a couple wheelsets(one 26 and one 700) might be worthwhile(and fun).
Old 11-06-22, 05:44 PM
jadmt

I bet the majority of people knew what you were asking ...I am sure someone will want to know your definition of a good and reason
Old 11-06-22, 05:45 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
makes sense.
Old 11-06-22, 05:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I bet the majority of people knew what you were asking ...I am sure someone will want to know your definition of a good and reason
Well to be completely honest I was being a little sarcastic with my first reply. It just sort of goads me when people put such descriptors in their titles and questions. And using the word "best" really sets me off! <grin>

To me it's senseless to use the word since it is actually ambiguous or best or decent might not mean quite the same to all. And besides, if anyone is going to recommend something, would they recommend something that they thought was bad?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-06-22, 07:58 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Based only on reputation, I'd rank Velocity rims as way better than "decent."

To me, Alex rims meet the definition of "decent": inexpensive, reasonably good looking, not too heavy, have nice-to-have things like double eyelets, and the couple of pairs I built were easy. Built straight and tight, no drama, (even for a novice wheelbuilder like me,) and took a beating like a good double-wall hand-built wheel should.

That, to me, is what decent parts are all about.

--Shannon
Old 11-06-22, 08:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One of the Bontrager rims that came on our new tandem in 2010 cracked a few years later. I had Velocity rebuild the wheels with Atlas rims on the original Velocity hubs. Both wheels (406 front and 559 rear) are quite robust.
Old 11-07-22, 09:12 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
If you’re planning on running tubeless, I would just go for Mavic UST wheels. You can find these on the used market. The UST rims have no spoke holes, and are much more foolproof to set up tubeless. Mavic UST rim + panaracer UST tire = a snap to mount , literally.
I just set up both kids mtb’s with tubeless, one with the aforementioned Mavics and the other with TLR rims, and the former is just far easier to deal with than the latter. Well worth whatever extra you have to pay.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 11-07-22 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 11:08 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Well to be completely honest I was being a little sarcastic with my first reply. It just sort of goads me when people put such descriptors in their titles and questions. And using the word "best" really sets me off! <grin>

To me it's senseless to use the word since it is actually ambiguous or best or decent might not mean quite the same to all. And besides, if anyone is going to recommend something, would they recommend something that they thought was bad?
It's a valid thing to ask. Attributes like durability, light weight, tubeless compatibility, beauty, and low price are not likely to occur all at once, so determining which one(s) are most important to the OP will guide the advice we give.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-07-22, 01:48 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I emailed Velocity and it is now corrected on their website.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-07-22, 05:37 PM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
To me, Alex rims meet the definition of "decent": inexpensive, reasonably good looking, not too heavy, have nice-to-have things like double eyelets, and the couple of pairs I built were easy. Built straight and tight, no drama, (even for a novice wheelbuilder like me,) and took a beating like a good double-wall hand-built wheel should.

That, to me, is what decent parts are all about.

--Shannon
I’ve built up three* 26” wheels using Alex Adventurer2 rims and have been pleased with the results. They were easy for this novice wheel builder to get/keep true and round with even tension and weren’t expensive. Still true years later without any touch up.

*A wheelset first, and then a dynamo front for a lighting upgrade a couple of years later.
Old 11-08-22, 03:55 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
velocity dyad wheels. USA made not sure how great they are.

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-26
Dyads are good but light if your intended use is heavy duty w rim brakes. I built some mtn bike wheels out of them when they first came out and smashed the rim down a bit at the hook of the rim. The rim was still round but the hook/brake track wasn’t. After looking at them for awhile it’s evident that it’s thinner at the brake track than heavier rims.