Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop the airport!

Old 11-15-22, 11:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

Got my Vector, Victor and my Clearance, Clarence... Flaps Down... Final Approach...

Old 11-15-22, 11:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Better get my aspirin up there and ride that trail before it becomes runway L1.

Old 11-16-22, 03:41 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Flying squirrels? Sugar gliders?
Saw some mice riding an Albatross once.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 11-16-22, 03:47 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Sounds like the times. Will ya be able to stop it? NO. Airport planing and building is most likely lined up and committed long before anyone in the general public gets any word. I think your best bet is to see that they provide a suitable Bike Path around it. Just getting that will be a challenge but it's plausible...
Louisville international airport took a neighborhood, and they bought half another one, and took a part of a road, part of a bike lane doesn't sound that bad.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 11-16-22, 07:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Got my Vector, Victor and my Clearance, Clarence... Flaps Down... Final Approach...

Roger, Roger.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-16-22, 08:09 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Surely y'all must be joking.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-16-22, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Surely y'all must be joking.
Don’t call me Shirley.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-16-22, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Don’t call me Shirley.
Do you speak jive?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-22, 09:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Compared to what? LaGuardia has two runways.
The smallness of La Guardia was a major design driver for the 727's complex flaps. The earlier 707's and their Convair and Douglas counterparts couldn't go there. The biggest planes that can go there now are widebody twinjets like the 767. Planes like the 747 and A380 are not invited.

It's also overcrowded. There's a limit how fast planes can take off and land at an airport because each one makes a wake that must dissipate before the next one can come in or leave. La Guardia is maxed out.

However from the glass half full perspective it does seem to fit perfectly on the land it's occupying...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-16-22, 09:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The smallness of La Guardia was a major design driver for the 727's complex flaps. The earlier 707's and their Convair and Douglas counterparts couldn't go there. The biggest planes that can go there now are widebody twinjets like the 767. Planes like the 747 and A380 are not invited.

It's also overcrowded. There's a limit how fast planes can take off and land at an airport because each one makes a wake that must dissipate before the next one can come in or leave. La Guardia is maxed out.

However from the glass half full perspective it does seem to fit perfectly on the land it's occupying...

My point was that there's no particular definition of a "mega airport" and that LaGuardia generates a lot of traffic with just two runways. I have no idea how long the 2 runways at the new airport will be, but the article said they were looking at traffic about equal to SeaTac. SeaTac is actually busier than LaGuardia.
Old 11-16-22, 10:32 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
BTW, I think the solution here is obvious, just put a bike lane on each of the runways.
Integrating pedestrians with aircraft has been tried and the results are not good.

https://www.military.com/video/aircr.../1042478788001

John
Old 11-16-22, 10:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With a path around the end of the run ways, it would give us that like airplanes something else to see on our rides.
Old 11-16-22, 10:42 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Integrating pedestrians with aircraft has been tried and the results are not good.

John
I see your doom and gloom and raise you success. https://www.traillink.com/trail/mont...l-detail-about
Old 11-16-22, 10:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I see your doom and gloom and raise you success. https://www.traillink.com/trail/mont...l-detail-about
To the airport or through the airport?

I suspect at least part of the motivation was to create a connection to the GAP, which I believe the Montour Trail eventually connects with. Nearly every year in Touring there is a thread about long term parking in connection with a planned GAP ride. Long term parking lot at the airport seems like a useful thing. The southern terminus of the GAP in Cumberland, MD has free long term parking under I-40 just off where the GAP & C&O trails meet.
Old 11-16-22, 11:23 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
To the airport or through the airport?

I suspect at least part of the motivation was to create a connection to the GAP, which I believe the Montour Trail eventually connects with. Nearly every year in Touring there is a thread about long term parking in connection with a planned GAP ride. Long term parking lot at the airport seems like a useful thing. The southern terminus of the GAP in Cumberland, MD has free long term parking under I-40 just off where the GAP & C&O trails meet.
Yes it goes to the airport. The point is though, that accommodations can be made, safely.
Old 11-16-22, 11:44 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm not really finding the alleged best bike path in the nation either on Google Maps or Strava Heatmap. Failing to see bike forums relevance. It pretty much looks like the commission found the edge of the exurbs and said, "Here." It's hardly the Katy Trail. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-16-22, 12:29 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

One of the dumbest things you can do is stand behind a jet aircraft which is beginning its takeoff roll. If that jet wash is powerful enough to propel a multi-ton aircraft down the runway and into the sky, it's powerful enough to blow you off your feet.

Reminds me of the videos from Maho Beach.

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-16-22, 01:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
One of the dumbest things you can do is stand behind a jet aircraft which is beginning its takeoff roll. If that jet wash is powerful enough to propel a multi-ton aircraft down the runway and into the sky, it's powerful enough to blow you off your feet.

Reminds me of the videos from Maho Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqVjD3nBSQg
LOL! Go retrieve your beach chair and await the next departure.

John
Old 11-16-22, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

What would be cool is if the land was bought up by a conservatory organization, because although they might stop this for a while, it will probably rears it's ugly head up in the future as the population in the area grows.
This was done along a white water section of the South Fork American River near Sacramento. it takes a lot of money but it can be done.
However, there are about 200,000 people who go down that river every year, way more than the people who use the Chehalis Western.

"Thurston County-owns and operates 22 miles of Chehalis Western Trail in public ownership. The trail is an integral and significant linkage in the planned 48-mile county-managed trail system. It features four trailhead facilities with parking, restrooms, and picnic facilities at the Chambers Lake Boat Launch, Scenic Overlook at Chambers Lake, the Yelm Highway Pedestrian Overpass, a trailhead at 67th Avenue with parking and trail information, and a parking area at Fir Tree Road. The northern section has a trailhead at Woodard Bay with parking and restrooms. With spectacular views, the trail system provides excellent opportunities for users to enjoy a tranquil and refreshing outdoor recreation experience any time of the year."

So it's 22 miles long--how much would be taken out by the new airport?
Old 11-16-22, 01:47 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
What would be cool is if the land was bought up by a conservatory organization, because although they might stop this for a while, it will probably rears it's ugly head up in the future as the population in the area grows.
Just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in the area? Can you write a few paragraphs about the stunning natural beauty of the trail that isn't copied from the Washington Trails Association website?

Often, these rail-trails are created as much to create a recreational attraction as it is to preserve the corridor intact in the advent of future development. For example, Weyerhauser might want the land back to re-build the railroad someday. Or, population growth in the area might warrant a new airport. It happens.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-16-22, 02:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Can you post a good map of the proposed area.

Both Seattle and Portland have good airports. Plus I think the Boeing airport. Are there also local military airports?

I'm wondering of the Seattle airport is having growing pains.

Just like New York City is surrounded by airports.

One option might be to reroute the puddle jumpers.

So, for example, if one takes a plane from Eugene to Richland, I believe there is a transfer in Seattle. But that transfer could be done just as easily in Portland.
Old 11-16-22, 03:40 PM
70sSanO

It is not quite as bleak as initially indicated. It is one of 3 proposed sites, plus a possible expansion to an existing airport.

It is opposed by local Olympia officials, which I would hope have a little bit of sway with the state legislators who come to town... "Sorry Congressman, we don't know what happened to your car. Was it impounded because it was illegally parked?"

Thurston County officials also oppose it.

But it is good to get organized and explore the multitude of options to keep it from getting built.

One issue that might hurt stopping it is if the State of Liberty is created as the 51st state, or 52nd if Puerto Rico beats them to it.

John
Old 11-16-22, 03:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It is not quite as bleak as initially indicated. It is one of 3 proposed sites, plus a possible expansion to an existing airport.

It is opposed by local Olympia officials, which I would hope have a little bit of sway with the state legislators who come to town... "Sorry Congressman, we don't know what happened to your car. Was it impounded because it was illegally parked?"

Thurston County officials also oppose it.

But it is good to get organized and explore the multitude of options to keep it from getting built.

One issue that might hurt stopping it is if the State of Liberty is created as the 51st state, or 52nd if Puerto Rico beats them to it.

John

I had to google the State of Liberty thing. That ain't happening.
Old 11-16-22, 04:08 PM
70sSanO

I had to google the State of Liberty thing. That ain't happening.
I pretty much figured that. Then again it would be funny if Puerto Rico became the 51st state and Liberty the 52nd state. Would you like some salt with that wound?

Neither of which will happen.

John
Old 11-16-22, 04:33 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Recently, the generous owner of an equestrian ranch that sits alongside a part of the bike path sold his property to the county in order that it may be protected from urban sprawl. This section of land is of the rare prairie oak variety. There is a project currently in progress that is working to restore this ranch to it's natural state. This happens to be the exact place where they want to build an airport.

If you ride the Chehalis Western Trail from start to finish and back again, you can travel about 70 miles of beautiful territory without riding on the highway, save a few road crossings.
At night you can here coyotes howling off in the distance, you can hear thousands of frogs creating an almost deafening sound, i have had owls flying over my bike in order that i might scare up some food with my light, there are rabbits crossing the trail at every mile, fox, possum, deer, garter snakes, just to name a few.

I can not think of a worse place to start a project like this. Not only will the airport ruin a wonderful area, the access roads will also screw things up.

I am just trying to make aware to any people from this area what is going down.

14 miles of this trail are used in the Seattle to Portland ride of which about 10,000 people take part. The airport would be going in very near to this section of trail from Yelm to Tenino.

"South Sound is unique in the Puget Sound Region as the historic and only remaining location for native prairies and oak woodlands. South Sound native prairies support an array of plant and animal species, including several endangered species: Taylor’s Checkerspot butterfly, Mardon skipper, streaked horned lark, Western gray squirrel, and Mazama pocket gopher. According to the Center for Natural Lands Management (CNLM), 150,000 acres of prairie landscape and habitat has been reduced by 90%, with only 3% of that remaining as pristine prairie. Oak woodlands are dominated by Oregon white oak, the only oak species native to Washington, and contribute to the South Sound’s rich biological diversity by providing feeding, breeding, resting and sheltering habitat for more than 200 species of birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.