Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Garmin Controlled Kickr & ERG mode.

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 10-09-22, 10:38 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts

I use a Wahoo Bolt to control my Kickr in ERG mode.
I can do this in two ways.
1. I can use the Bolt to set and adjust Target Watts in real time while on the bike
2. I can load an ERG file into the Bolt and ride it. The ERG (Workout) file then controls the resistance.

With the Garmin 830, I can import the Workout file into Garmin Connect (Web), The website will sync the Workout file to the 830.
But if I try to ride the ERG file, the Garmin 830 fails to control the resistance. It does display data from the Kickr (watts, cadence) so it is truly connected.

Am I missing something here. Is there a trick to getting a Garmin Edge 830 to control a Kickr via a workout?

Thanks

Barry
Old 11-24-22, 10:57 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I use a Wahoo Bolt to control my Kickr in ERG mode.
I can do this in two ways.
1. I can use the Bolt to set and adjust Target Watts in real time while on the bike
2. I can load an ERG file into the Bolt and ride it. The ERG (Workout) file then controls the resistance.

With the Garmin 830, I can import the Workout file into Garmin Connect (Web), The website will sync the Workout file to the 830.
But if I try to ride the ERG file, the Garmin 830 fails to control the resistance. It does display data from the Kickr (watts, cadence) so it is truly connected.

Am I missing something here. Is there a trick to getting a Garmin Edge 830 to control a Kickr via a workout?

Thanks

Barry
You have probably connected to the trainer sensors as if it were the sensors of a bike.
on the main Home Screen, on the bottom right click Training and then Indoor Trainer, here you can connect to the trainer and control it as you want.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-07-22, 10:35 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Garmin Edge 830 ERG mode Ramp on Kickr

I had two issues.
1. Yes, I hadn't connected the Kickr as a trainer. Easily fixed.
2. I was attempting to ride an ERG controlled Ramp.
The Edge 830 would control the Kickr in ERG mode, butonly if the watts were at a static number.
As soon as I asked for a Ramp (Example from 100W to 150W in 5mins ) the resistance control was lost.

I opened a ticket with Garmin support. Both mine and my buddies Edge 830 & Kickr Bike had the same issue.
Garmin had me provide various examples via various methods over 5 weeks.

Final outcome.
Per Garmin Support.... Edge 830 does NOT support an ERG controlled Ramp.
The Edge takes the median and displays that wattage, resistance control is lost for the Ramp.

My Wahoo Bolt V1 will be remaining on my Wahoo Kickr Bike and my plan to purchase Dual Garmin Rally Pedals for the Kickr Bike won't be happening.

Barry
Old 12-07-22, 11:46 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I had two issues.
1. Yes, I hadn't connected the Kickr as a trainer. Easily fixed.
2. I was attempting to ride an ERG controlled Ramp.
The Edge 830 would control the Kickr in ERG mode, butonly if the watts were at a static number.
As soon as I asked for a Ramp (Example from 100W to 150W in 5mins ) the resistance control was lost.

I opened a ticket with Garmin support. Both mine and my buddies Edge 830 & Kickr Bike had the same issue.
Garmin had me provide various examples via various methods over 5 weeks.

Final outcome.
Per Garmin Support.... Edge 830 does NOT support an ERG controlled Ramp.
The Edge takes the median and displays that wattage, resistance control is lost for the Ramp.

My Wahoo Bolt V1 will be remaining on my Wahoo Kickr Bike and my plan to purchase Dual Garmin Rally Pedals for the Kickr Bike won't be happening.

Barry
Why the need for power measuring pedals for the Kickr bike.
Old 12-07-22, 12:24 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Why the need for power measuring pedals for the Kickr bike.
Wahoo Kickr Bike has what equates to a Hub type power meter.
This Hub type PM measures the total of both legs, Unlike a single sided (Crank or pedal type) that measures one leg and doubles the value.

I wish to work on pedal stroke and that requires not only both legs to be documented individually, but also where within the stroke I'm developing power.
Garmin's Cycling Dynamics are ideally suited to this type of training.

I'd like to be able to use my Garmin Edge 830 and a pair of Garmin Rally Pedals, just the same as I do on my road bike.

Barry