Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which spokes to use for Archetype 36h?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 11:43 AM
illusiumd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wheel newb here. I'm around 220 riding with load - like to get some butted spokes - lace up 3x 36h Archetype to White Industries T11. I'm leaning toward Wheelsmith DB14. What would be the DT Swiss equivalent? Spoke calculator says:

Left spoke length: 287.6 || Right spoke length: 282.6

Do I round up? Wheres a good place to purchase?
Old 12-09-15, 12:12 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the rule of thumb is to always round up to the next available size, unless there are other circumstances to take into account. As for where to buy them... amazon? My spoke calculator says that you generally have to buy DT swiss spokes a mm longer in some instances for the same hub/rim combination.
Old 12-09-15, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea the Thinned section between the Butts will elongate a bit more than a straight gage ,

so Id say get a bit longer you want the spoke Threads filling the nip Head , to reinforce the Nip ..

Me? I shop Locally ..
Old 12-09-15, 01:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
DT Competition is the DT Swiss equivalent. Their narrow section isn't quite as narrow as the Wheelsmith DB14, but it's close. I've built wheels with both and haven't had a problem with either, but Peter White (who probably builds more wheels before lunch than I have in my life) says the Wheelsmith are better.

A few of tips from one amateur wheel builder to another:

-Use brass nipples. Alloy nipples are tempting with their lighter weight and available colors, but they are significantly softer and the silver ones at least look like crap after a year or so of exposure to the elements.
-Lube the spoke holes in some way, otherwise the nipples will get really hard to turn as you get close to final tension. (This applies to non-eyeleted rims.)
-Use a 4-sided spoke wrench. It can be a bit harder to get on the nipples, but you're a lot less likely to round the nipples.

I buy my spokes from Universal Cycles. They sell them individually, but you need to buy the nipples separately. You can find better prices on a per spoke basis if you shop around (eBay is a good starting point), but you generally end up with more spokes than you want so it seems to me that it's about a wash. Universal also builds wheels, so they can probably give you informed answers to any questions you might have via their live chat.