Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift:HUB indoor trainer with cassette $499

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 09-08-22, 09:01 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts

Zwift:HUB indoor trainer $499 with cassette is a KILLER deal!

Thoughts? Interest?

I am probably going to snag one..

https://us.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub

Likes For raqball:
Old 09-08-22, 09:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
The 2.5% accuracy isn't great if you're racing and Campagnolo riders like myself won't be supported, but I love the idea for Zwift. A simple direct drive smart trainer with incredibly easy setup with their cards, but still gives people the full smart experience. Comes with cassettes ranging from 8-12 speed so new riders can just use whatever bike they have gathering dust in their garage. You don't even need to calibrate. All for $500.

When they started talking about making their own trainer/smartbike, they were talking about making an all-in-one system like Peloton has so that it would be very easy to onboard new riders who just bought the system and hopped onboard (then they got all fancy in their plans and instead started designing high end things for enthusiasts like themselves). The environment has changed, but this gets them back to their first reason to make a trainer.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-08-22, 09:18 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by himespau
The 2.5% accuracy isn't great if you're racing and Campagnolo riders like myself won't be supported, but I love the idea for Zwift. A simple direct drive smart trainer with incredibly easy setup with their cards, but still gives people the full smart experience. Comes with cassettes ranging from 8-12 speed so new riders can just use whatever bike they have gathering dust in their garage. You don't even need to calibrate. All for $500.

When they started talking about making their own trainer/smartbike, they were talking about making an all-in-one system like Peloton has so that it would be very easy to onboard new riders who just bought the system and hopped onboard (then they got all fancy in their plans and instead started designing high end things for enthusiasts like themselves). The environment has changed, but this gets them back to their first reason to make a trainer.
It's really a killer trainer for the price.. I am seriously considering it..
Old 09-08-22, 09:50 AM
himespau 

I would be too. Looks like you can still get the Saris H3 for a bit under $400 with similar specs (but not the ease of integration into Zwift), but, other than that, it looks like a killer option if it's what you want to do. I got lucky last winter that, just as my last trainer broke, Zwift was blowing out their supply of Direto XR trainers for about $100 more. Had it happened after they came out with this trainer, I might have chosen it instead.
Old 09-08-22, 11:27 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Anyone who buys - pls post notes, would appreciate hearing your experience. thx.
Old 09-08-22, 06:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Anyone who buys - pls post notes, would appreciate hearing your experience. thx.
fwiw, it's basically a rebranded one of these: https://www.jetblackcycling.com/indo...cycle-trainer/

DCrainmaker did a review on this if you're interested also
Old 09-08-22, 06:51 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

DCrainmaker did a review on this if you're interested also
His review video is listed in the OP..
Old 09-08-22, 06:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by raqball
His review video is listed in the OP..
Sorry missed that... but go back a year and there's a full review on the original (pre-Zwift) model
Old 09-08-22, 06:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I got an email about this as soon as I placed an order with REI for a Saris H3 on sale. The power accuracy on that is 2%, so this isn't significantly worse.

Also, in the Saris H3 setup video they claim an 11-speed Campy drivetrain will work with a Shimano 11 speed cassette. My Shimano cassette is 11-34T, and my Campy derailleur is set up for a 29T max, so I haven't tried, but thought it was of interest (assuming they aren't BS-ing).

I'm curious if it locks you into Zwift somehow. I am trying Rouvy for the first time, and like it a lot more.

I just watched the DC Rainmaker video and it sounds like they (Zwift) have some firmware issues to work out, but it should be available by October, and he says it will work with anything Bluetooth/ANT+.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 09-08-22 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 06:59 PM
raqball

Sorry missed that... but go back a year and there's a full review on the original (pre-Zwift) model
It's similar to the Jet Black but with improvements (he covers them in the video) and I don't recall if the Jet Black came with a cassette of your choice or not but I don't think it did..

Last edited by raqball; 09-08-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 07:04 PM
raqball

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I'm curious if it locks you into Zwift somehow.
According to DCRainmakers video you are not.. If it were then I prob would not purchase it.
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-08-22, 07:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

It's similar to the Jet Black but with improvements (he covers them in the video) and I don't recall if the Jet Black came with a cassette or not but I don't think it did..
I'll get around to the video. A bit OT though.. how much value is there in a cassette coming with the trainer. What are the odds these days of it coincidentally being the needed 10, 11, 12, 13 or 9-speed(?) that the bike owner would need for it to work?
Old 09-08-22, 07:08 PM
raqball

I'll get around to the video. A bit OT though.. how much value is there in a cassette coming with the trainer. What are the odds these days of it coincidentally being the needed 10, 11, 12, 13 or 9-speed(?) that the bike owner would need for it to work?
I guess the value of the cassette is for each person to decide. For $500 it looks like a very good, well equipped trainer. Is it for hardcore training? No, but I think for the masses like me who just want to stay active when the weather turns bad it's a great option at a great price..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-08-22, 07:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

He says in the video they will offer a selection.

I had an extra 105 sitting around, but many people have to shell out an additional ca. $80
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-08-22, 07:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by himespau
Iooks like you can still get the Saris H3 for a bit under $400 with similar specs (but not the ease of integration into Zwift),.
I just paid $650 or something like that on sale from REI. Their own website says $800. What have I missed?
Old 09-08-22, 08:21 PM
himespau 

Also, in the Saris H3 setup video they claim an 11-speed Campy drivetrain will work with a Shimano 11 speed cassette. My Shimano cassette is 11-34T, and my Campy derailleur is set up for a 29T max, so I haven't tried, but thought it was of interest (assuming they aren't BS-ing).
All 11 speed cassettes from the big 3 had the same spacing. If you're using 10 speed (like me) or 12, that's not the case.
I just paid $650 or something like that on sale from REI. Their own website says $800. What have I missed?
I've seen it several places for sub$400 recently. Just took this from the Zwift sub-re ddi t as an example "This is on slickdeals currently: Saris.com has Saris H3 Direct Drive Indoor Bike Smart Trainer for $384 when you apply discount code CSDEALDD-40 at checkout. Shipping is free."
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-08-22, 08:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, it isn't quite that good, but definitely better than what I paid for it a few days ago:

Maybe what I paid for it at REI was a discount that was previously on their website, so that would account for the small remaining difference.

The net result of this is it makes me want to take mine back and not get anything from them.
Old 09-08-22, 08:42 PM
himespau 

A trainer that you have that works and has a warranty (and an actual physical place you can return it) is better than a trainer that you might be able to get from the internet at a future point with a pricing that seems to change by the day (hour?) and may not be the same price when you finally order. At least to me. This summer, Saris themselves was blowing out all their trainer products (really wanted their rocker plate, but the budget wasn't there) at like half off as they were trying to liquidate inventory to get themselves in a better place so they could try to find someone to buy them.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-08-22, 08:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, the nice thing about REI is if I get one of the 10% or whatever it is that are lemons, I can return it. I can't really justify returning a functional one, just two save a couple hundred nearly worthless CA dollars.
Old 09-09-22, 09:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Zwift:HUB indoor trainer $499 with cassette is a KILLER deal!

Thoughts? Interest?

I am probably going to snag one..

https://us.zwift.com/pages/zwift-hub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26rJzrSbR7c
Looks pretty much the same as any other mid-range trainer. Quoted power accuracy is not great either. I had an Elite Direto X for a couple of years, which was more accurate and rock solid. So I would go with a more proven brand (Elite, Wahoo, Tacx, etc) if I was in the market for a new trainer. I don't see any usp for Zwift here.
Old 09-09-22, 10:00 AM
raqball

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Looks pretty much the same as any other mid-range trainer. Quoted power accuracy is not great either. I had an Elite Direto X for a couple of years, which was more accurate and rock solid. So I would go with a more proven brand (Elite, Wahoo, Tacx, etc) if I was in the market for a new trainer. I don't see any usp for Zwift here.
I don't think any of these budget type trainers are intended for the hardcore and/or those looking for accuracy. The trainer you mention is $400 more. I think some are missing the point that for $500, with an included cassette of your choice, it's a good deal for those just looking for a trainer to stay active during inclement weather or to just get a quick ride in..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-09-22, 10:03 AM
raqball

Yeah, the nice thing about REI is if I get one of the 10% or whatever it is that are lemons, I can return it. I can't really justify returning a functional one, just two save a couple hundred nearly worthless CA dollars.
Love REI....
Old 09-09-22, 10:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
I don't think any of these budget type trainers are intended for the hardcore and/or those looking for accuracy. The trainer you mention is $400 more. I think some are missing the point that for $500, with an included cassette of your choice, it's a good deal for those just looking for a trainer to stay active during inclement weather or to just get a quick ride in..
I picked up my Direto X on sale for about the same price as this Zwift unit, but yeah I take your point. It does look like a good deal if there are no teething troubles. That would be my main concern given that the unit it is based on appeared to have some issues previously (unless I'm mistaken - which I could be!)
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-09-22, 10:41 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I picked up my Direto X on sale for about the same price as this Zwift unit, but yeah I take your point. It does look like a good deal if there are no teething troubles. That would be my main concern given that the unit it is based on appeared to have some issues previously (unless I'm mistaken - which I could be!)
I think the main issue with the JetBlack Volt was that the old outer casing (since redesigned) didn't work with all disc-brake frames. Seems there are a few teething issues with Zwift's proprietary firmware, but, if they can get it fixed by the release date, it seems like it'd be a decent machine for a decent price. DC Rainmaker says that the accuracy of the Volt was more in the 1-1.5% range based on his tests. If the new trainer can hit that and they change the specs to claim that (which would make it eligible for high end racing even if it doesn't have the resistance many high end racers would want), it'd be a great deal.

I got my Direto XR for not much more than the Z Hub's list because Zwift was blowing out their pandemic-bloated inventory. Saris was selling the H3 at less than $400 recently to blow out their pandemic-bloated inventory. For people not lucky enough to be in the market when those special sales are going on, this seems like a solid option for 95% of riders (and especially to get new riders in the door). Would be nice if LBS could sell it as a gateway option as well.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-09-22, 02:32 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
I'll get one for my wife, I think it's perfect for her and the coming winter.
Likes For BTinNYC:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.