Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has Your Attitude Toward Cycling Changed Over the Decades?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has Your Attitude Toward Cycling Changed Over the Decades?

Old 10-25-22, 05:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My first father-in-law grew up in Plzen and, as a boy, worked in the fields picking the Saaz hops that are used in Pilsner Urquell. On our most memorable trip back there, I toured the brewery -- 10km of underground tunnels and caverns, which facilitated the cold fermentation year-round before they had refrigeration. At one point, they took us into a large room with an original oak barrel in which they always had a batch of beer made the original way. (They had moved to stainless steel fermentation containers over a decade earlier.) They poured each of us a small sample, but most of the other folks in the tour didn't actually want theirs(!), and so they gave them to me. Needless to say, I finished the tour a little tipsy.
Dobrư den! See if you can find Trumer Pils on tap, brewed in Berkeley by an Austrian, with all the ingredients except the water imported from Austria. It's the real thing. Yes, Saaz hops are the thing. I think they are slightly psychedelic. That brewery came into existence when the people of Plzň came to the brewery which made the crappy beer of the time, took axes, broke open the casks and poured it all in the river. The new brewery hired a brewer from Germany who created Pilsner beer. (Some words in Czech have no vowels.)
Old 10-25-22, 05:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Dobrư den! See if you can find Trumer Pils on tap, brewed in Berkeley by an Austrian, with all the ingredients except the water imported from Austria. It's the real thing. Yes, Saaz hops are the thing. I think they are slightly psychedelic. That brewery came into existence when the people of Plzň came to the brewery which made the crappy beer of the time, took axes, broke open the casks and poured it all in the river. The new brewery hired a brewer from Germany who created Pilsner beer. (Some words in Czech have no vowels.)
Good info -- dekuji!
Old 10-26-22, 10:11 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
My attitude has changed from "Bicycles are for people who lost their license for DUI" to touring and riding for relaxation, recreation and exercise.
Old 10-26-22, 11:08 AM
cal45

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disc low step, 1999 Trek 800 Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
No. I've always been a casual rider. Fitness, recreation, and enjoying the outdoors.
Ditto - I actually started riding for fitness about 20 years ago in order to get some cardio in as I lost my left leg above the knee and running was now off the table.
Old 10-27-22, 03:51 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
For me it has changed , but not that much. I have been riding lightweight road bikes since the mid seventies . I still have the first one I bought. At 68 , I am not the rider I once was but still ride quite a bit and enjoy building vintage (now a days!) bikes that I could only dream about in my twenties. I don't have the strength I used to have , or the endurance , but I have all the desire I had when I started riding my Schwinn Varsity in high school in the late sixties. Having a ten speed meant going much further than I could on my Sting Ray. In those days your bike was your freedom. Now my bikes are my mental floss , whether I'm wrenching on them or pedaling them.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-27-22, 04:39 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
in 1960, my folks gave me a bicycle for my birthday......
It was like I had been given wings, "wings of wheels".
I had a new freedom to go wherever I wanted;
school, work, university, grad school and on into life.
Continuing to ride for the pleasure of it.............
Likes For martianone:
Old 11-01-22, 07:53 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
I can think of two ways in which my attitude has changed.

I am (evidently) willing to spend a lot more money on cycling than I would have in the past.

I am much less blissfully ignorant of the dangers and vulnerability of riding on roads with traffic, and as a result I make a much greater effort to ride dedicated trails or underutilized rural routes.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 11-01-22, 08:42 PM
adlai

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Nope, lol. I still live like I'm 26 going on fifteen.
Old 11-01-22, 09:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Got a ten speed as a ten and I loved it. Riding was freedom. I thought I was fast.

Then life got in the way and I stopped riding. Didn't try again for about 35 years.

But when I got back on the bike it felt like I'd never stopped. I loved it. But now I know I'm slow.
Old 11-02-22, 01:44 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Got a ten speed as a ten and I loved it. Riding was freedom. I thought I was fast.

Then life got in the way and I stopped riding. Didn't try again for about 35 years.

But when I got back on the bike it felt like I'd never stopped. I loved it. But now I know I'm slow.

Slow is good. In this fast-paced, always busy society we live in, it's good to slow down. Enjoy the cycling however slow you may go.
Old 11-02-22, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
As usual, I'll have a weird answer. When I was a kid, I'd ride to explore, and frequently would get lost and find it challenging to find my way home. As an adult, this is something I never wanted to do for fear I'd really get lost and endup too far away to get back in a reasonable time. Then I discovered GPS. Exploring is fun again because I can always bail.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-02-22, 03:36 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
......For me, like running, cycling in my 30s and 40s represented pushing boundaries and gaining accomplishments. Whether it was increasing distances, average speed or......
...Fast forward 30 years, and after a hiatus off the road bike for 10 years then getting back after it......
I tried to get back into my old ways. I pushed myself hard but recovery took longer which was very frustrating. What I was easily able to do in the past in terms of a day’s ride - 70-80 miles, just seemed like way too much. Now if I do 50-60 I feel like I have pushed it beyond my comfortable 30-40. When young I would attack every hill and now I pace myself.......
So what’s your story? Have you changed or have you remained constant?
Much of what the OP describes, almost perfectly describes my current perspective. I did get into the road racing scene for a few years back in the early 2000's, and virtually all my rides then were balls-to-the-wall training rides (but I loved it!)
Now that I'm pushing 60, Im still a gym rat, and still do regular 30-40 milers ,but that's my comfort limit, I've largely left those hill-topping attacks behind.
One big change in my attitude is that im not the high-end bike snob and weight-weenie I used to be. I've kinda gone full circle in that respect, and am again happily riding lower end bikes I scored Craigslist deals on, that are running humble Alivio or 105 level components, and whatever decent wire-bead tire i scored the best deal on, and I couldnt be more content with them.
Old 11-02-22, 08:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Much of what the OP describes, almost perfectly describes my current perspective. I did get into the road racing scene for a few years back in the early 2000's, and virtually all my rides then were balls-to-the-wall training rides (but I loved it!)
Now that I'm pushing 60, Im still a gym rat, and still do regular 30-40 milers ,but that's my comfort limit, I've largely left those hill-topping attacks behind.
One big change in my attitude is that im not the high-end bike snob and weight-weenie I used to be. I've kinda gone full circle in that respect, and am again happily riding lower end bikes I scored Craigslist deals on, that are running humble Alivio or 105 level components, and whatever decent wire-bead tire i scored the best deal on, and I couldnt be more content with them.
Maturity can be wonderful and makes life so much easier.

Today I rode my 1986 Bianchi Campione which still rides like it did when new. I sure wish I did too! Yeah I have a newish carbon as well, but it’s mid-pack price wise and has Ultegra and not the high end gruppo and not the Campy that the purists say is a must. Too bad and too bad for them. I too get by as economically as possible by not buying high end anything, just what works fine. Have to agree about the 30-40 milers being the most comfortable. Don’t have anything to prove other than occasionally trying to take fastest for my age bracket 65-70 in Strava.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-04-22, 01:09 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I've been riding bikes off and on (more off than on) since I was young, but 10 years ago I dived deeper into cycling after moving into a bike-friendly town. I started back on a Schwinn but after reading forum posts I realized that I needed a better bike. Chasing performance as a recreational rider (with a few centuries rides) sounds silly, but I got caught up in the hype. The next bike was a new Spec Crosstrails, then a used alu Domane, and after watching bike reviews and reading posts, I believed carbon was the answer. Found a pristine used carbon Domane, then a tite bike (a more comfortable ride), and finally (so far) A Spec Roubaix. I saw reviewers talk about how a new bike was a game-changer, 1 kilo lighter, 15% more aero, electronic shifting, hydraulic disks, etc.
The bike industry fed the frenzy with stuff like Rider First Engineered™ (RFE), FreeFoil Shape Library tubes (whatever that means), future shock, integrated cockpits, IsoSpeed, etc. To feed the frenzy, the ads show fit 20+ year old riders winning races while waving their arms. (Two things I've never done are winning races and riding a bike with my hands off the handlebars.) That's exactly what I want as a recreational rider (a category that most cyclists fall into) who has with $6,000+.to plunk down on a new bike. (As an aside, last year I bought an older used sports car in good shape for $6.000, so there was no way I was spending more on a bike weighing less than my door panel.)
Over the years, I've became cynical about the bike industry and some of the Internet bike reviewers who appear objective but must be getting something in return. One UK reviewer almost never finds a bike, tire or accessory he doesn't like. These kinds of reviews also desensitize people to the price hikes by making relatively small changes seem revolutionary. I've stopped watching or reading new bike reviews since most of those bikes are way too expensive for my budget and the "revolutionary changes" don't seem all that revolutionary to me. My attitude has changed to where I only buy quality older model used bikes that cost $1,000 or less. Anyway, I feel sorry for people who bought into the hype and spent $8-10,000 on a bike they are trying to sell used on Craigslist or Facebook for $4,500, which even at that discount still doesn't sell.
Old 11-04-22, 01:13 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I'm in my mid 50's, so been on a bike about a half century. I've done all kinds of cycling in that time, road, MTB (since '86), touring, some competitively, some for hard riding fun and some for leisure. For the past few years, the task is to exert, relax and have fun simultaneously. If you can relax and exert at the same time, the fun comes naturally. I don't think I'll ever be a speed freak or weight weenie again.
Old 11-04-22, 02:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I'm already in for RAMROD 2023. Will probably be the same course as 2022 due to announced road construction plans by MRNP.
I really don't want to go electric either.
Don’t know if you were or were not referring about electric bikes on RAMROD, but I can assure you that they would not be welcome in a venue where, strength, stamina and determination, as you and I both know, are what’s required. Wishful thinking…. It would be rather funny though if one of their bikes ran out of power either climbing to Paradise or up Cayuse and they were stuck with a 50+ lb bike to ride on their own power. I know when I test rode our former 40 lb tandem solo up hills it was less than zero fun.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-04-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 06:57 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t know if you were or were not referring about electric bikes on RAMROD, but I can assure you that they would not be welcome in a venue where, strength, stamina and determination, as you and I both know, are what’s required. Wishful thinking…. It would be rather funny though if one of their bikes ran out of power either climbing to Paradise or up Cayuse and they were stuck with a 50+ lb bike to ride on their own power. I know when I test rode our former 40 lb tandem solo up hills it was less than zero fun.
I was not referring to electric bikes on RAMROD. Just me hoping that I don't ever have to ride one due to poor physical health.
For someone to ride RAMROD on an electric bike I think they would definitely have to pack an extra battery with them.
Old 11-04-22, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I was not referring to electric bikes on RAMROD. Just me hoping that I don't ever have to ride one due to poor physical health.
For someone to ride RAMROD on an electric bike I think they would definitely have to pack an extra battery with them.
and a lot of nerve!

Old 11-20-22, 11:12 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
Yes and despite some injuries I stilll love riding bikes 38 years later. Started at theage of the 6 years where I had a bernard dangre steel city beater, then later had a motobecane foldable city bike and in my teenage years got a hi ten champion super market mountain bike that I got rid of after two years of owner ship. At the age of the 18 years till 21 years , I was in to road bike competitions but after a serious left knee injury, I stopped road biking and used a peugeot chenonceaux as a commuter forgetting the groceries and as a commuter that I still use. Then in year 2008 a friend of mine whom I was often road biking with was cleaning his garage and told me that he was also moutain biking, he had this albon and a gt karakoram in much worse shape that he was getting rid of . I took the Merida because it was in much nicer shape and it was equipped at the time with Deore 400LX 21 speed, biopace crank and rapid fire shifting levers, the rims were low end araya rims with terrible tires. The first thing I did was upgrade the rims to mavic xm819 tubeless v brake rims in 2009 and hutchinson toro tubless tires with which I have never had a flat. I enjoyed and still enjoy to ride this bike which is not my most light weight mountain bike but which is built like a tank and is quite manoeuvrable and nimble.I went into having my first hybrid bike in 2014, a 1992 giant tourer when one of my best friends was getting rid of his old bikes, it was upgraded with better rims and schwalbe tyres ,the rest was left as stock as it was already a very nice and comfy riding machine. In 2016 my choice was focused on the shimano XT 780 T (for trekking) 30 speeds which was a much nicer aesthetically regarding rear derailleur (a non shadow derailleur) but also more precise shifters regarding gearing since on the XT 780 T shifters, you have the numbers of speeds indicated not the case on the XT780 M shifters. With the XT 780T upgrade, I have made in 2016, I saved 700grams on the whole weight of my Merida Bike. I also had two other MTBs built back between 2015 and 2017 the Scapin in Dedacciai DR Zero and the Kona Kilaeua which were and are my favorite MTBs. I will turn 44 the 30th November but as birthday presents I am going very probably to have one vintage high end steel MTB and one vintage high end steel road bike built, I will also purchase spare parts which is important because when some parts are discontinued they are hard to come by and are expensive. I am a recreational rider but I appreciate high quality bikes. After my left knee injury depite 25 years passed, I prefer to avoid roads but I don't mind to ride on a nice road when there is not much traffic but otherwise I am more using my MTBs for the week ends ride.

Last edited by georges1; 11-20-22 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 11:51 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

44? What a young punk. Believe a poll found the average age, for respondents, was about 65. Am glad you have found your own best way to bike as well as the joy of upgrading your rides.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-21-22, 06:31 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I don't know that my attitude changed. I have had different interests within the cycling world and outside it, but I have always had the same interest and joy in riding. As a young kid I went on rides with my dad and brothers and rode on my own around town. Over the years it was transportation, sport and just plain fun. I did a little of most of the stuff you can do on a bike over my 71 years so far, but there has been and still is some of the same attitude of that young kid from all those years ago. I hope it lasts as long as I can swing a leg over a bike.
Old 11-21-22, 07:08 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Sixty-Six years ago my Mom won a full size Hawthorne at Montgomery Wards when I was six and my Dad let go of me at the top of our driveway and I made it to the bottom before crashing into our mailbox. I used to love to ride the El Tour de Tucson. Would not consider doing either of those any more.
Old 11-21-22, 09:37 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Yeah I have; I don't like riding as far as I used to, thanks to a 12 or so mile away job I had, that I often had to. If it takes longer than about 30min; I don't wanna do it. And I hate riding out of neccesity.