Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

For the 50+ 'newbie' rider

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

For the 50+ 'newbie' rider

Old 10-25-09, 05:25 PM
korona100
New at Riding, Loving it!

Bikes: 2009 TREK Navigator 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent CW. I'm new to the forum and new to cycling (3 months). I am finding all of what you wrote very useful!

-Mark
Old 11-17-09, 05:50 AM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner Comfort Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You for the info. I bought a Schwinn Skiliner for $70.00 at a pawn shop, Took it to a bike shop for a tune up, only needed some simple adjustment they didn't charge me the $75.00 tune up fee. Got finders put on. I am very happy with the service at the Bellevue, WA, Performance Bike shop. Every time I need some thing and I buy it there they put it on for free just as if I bought the bike from them. The Spin Doctor Tech guy's know their stuff too.
Old 11-17-09, 06:00 AM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK so any suggestions on a good water repellent. Scotch Guard kind of works I live in Bellevue Washington and this is our rainy season. My Avenir Metro III Panniers I found out are not waterproof. Had an inch of rain inside the bags. Dried them out sprayed with Scotch Guard now just gets damp inside . Do I just add another coat or is there something better on the market.
Old 12-24-09, 05:43 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What if you are BOTH?

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Many forums have some sort of a sticky about choosing a bike, etc. I.e., the Clydesdale forum has special info for heavier and larger riders.

So, let's not try to do a "be all" thing, but instead the special things aimed at 50+'rs.

Good job, Cat
So what about us 50+ heavyweight then? We have to read through both sets of documents?

I think with the increase in internally geared hubs, people buying their first bike may be better served by more non-dérailleur information.(Like its not necessary to shift down before stopping, because you can shift while stopped/standing, without harming the hub.)

And the gear ratio of a Shimano eight speed hub, is about that of a 27 speed dérailleur, so they can buy a modern bike and not be plagued with shifting, while they learn to ride, in traffic, on an unadjusted bike. It can be hard, to get it all down at once, and it may be unnecessary. The downside is most 8 speed hubs cost an additional $150-200, which may not be all that large a sum. (Sheldon Brown has pretty good information about the gear ratios across many hubs, but it may need more info on the Nu Vinci (gearless) hub.)

On another topic, I have located a PDF file, originally from Rivendell Bicycle that may help people choose the size of their wheels and tires, to suit their riding styles/preferences/need for comfort, and most of us can stand to limit our choices, intelligently, up front.

Would that be better posted here, on the Clydes forum, or not at all?
Old 12-24-09, 05:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Clydes forum

Old 12-24-09, 05:52 PM
Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by froging
OK so any suggestions on a good water repellent. Scotch Guard kind of works I live in Bellevue Washington and this is our rainy season. My Avenir Metro III Panniers I found out are not waterproof. Had an inch of rain inside the bags. Dried them out sprayed with Scotch Guard now just gets damp inside . Do I just add another coat or is there something better on the market.
How about Kiwi Kamp-Dri? Similar in nature to Scotch Guard, but a bit heavier. You need to reapply now and again, like scotchguard, but it is designed for shoes, tents and heavier material, more moisture. Spray cans, about the size of a small can of spray deodorant.

Pr0n: Pagan relying on nothing?
Old 12-29-09, 12:20 AM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire
So what about us 50+ heavyweight then? We have to read through both sets of documents?

I think with the increase in internally geared hubs, people buying their first bike may be better served by more non-dérailleur information.(Like its not necessary to shift down before stopping, because you can shift while stopped/standing, without harming the hub.)

And the gear ratio of a Shimano eight speed hub, is about that of a 27 speed dérailleur, so they can buy a modern bike and not be plagued with shifting, while they learn to ride, in traffic, on an unadjusted bike. It can be hard, to get it all down at once, and it may be unnecessary. The downside is most 8 speed hubs cost an additional $150-200, which may not be all that large a sum. (Sheldon Brown has pretty good information about the gear ratios across many hubs, but it may need more info on the Nu Vinci (gearless) hub.)

On another topic, I have located a PDF file, originally from Rivendell Bicycle that may help people choose the size of their wheels and tires, to suit their riding styles/preferences/need for comfort, and most of us can stand to limit our choices, intelligently, up front.

Would that be better posted here, on the Clydes forum, or not at all?
OK so Who is right and who is wrong. Cuase the Spin Doctor guys at Performance Bike shop in Bellevue, WA told me IT'S NOT GOOD TO SHIFT when I'm stopped and the wheels are not spinning. So I don't think this is a good message to put out there. They told me it can harm the de-railers.
Some of us 50+ are buying used bikes so we can learn to ride again and then step up to a new bike after we fall a few times with the old bike. When I buy my new bike I want it to look new for awhile not look all beet up from falling. But then again that is just me. But I bet there is more like me out there.

Last edited by froging; 12-29-09 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Left something out
Old 12-29-09, 09:21 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OK so Who is right and who is wrong. Cuase the Spin Doctor guys at Performance Bike shop in Bellevue, WA told me IT'S NOT GOOD TO SHIFT when I'm stopped and the wheels are not spinning. So I don't think this is a good message to put out there. They told me it can harm the de-railers.
Some of us 50+ are buying used bikes so we can learn to ride again and then step up to a new bike after we fall a few times with the old bike. When I buy my new bike I want it to look new for awhile not look all beet up from falling. But then again that is just me. But I bet there is more like me out there.

Depends on whether or not you have an internal hub gears or external derailleurs.
Old 02-22-10, 08:31 AM
terrymk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm here...sigh.
I'm 58, female (or feline whatever you prefer). I am currently training for a ride called the "Tour de Phoenix". There are 2 rides--the 72 and 26. I have done both and neither are easy. Why,you say? Well, the roads are primarily that stoney-tar stuff that sticks to your wheel and makes you feel like you're riding in mush (never mind the hills around the lake in the desert, because that's just a given). Secondly, the wind; it is worse in the spring and never lets up from any direction,never under 10 mph, especially in the Usery Pass area...the worse false flat I have ever riden. I have observed grown men walk parts of that evil 3.7 mile, winding 5% grade, average wind 15+ on any given day...I do this ride like the salmon swim up stream every year. I really want to go faster but, I don't know...call it age...I am currently training 125+ a week, doing 40-45 mile rides a couple times (will soon start to up the mileage), when it rains, the 3 hour Spinerval DVD, and yet, I can't seem to get my average speed up no matter what technique I use, what I eat or how much I rest. So, my question is based around riding in wind better/faster. I get the heebie-geebies every year that the wind is going to knock me over or I'm going to bonk!
Old 04-21-10, 06:45 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope someone sees this post. It seems like it has been a while since the last post in this thread.

I am definitely a newbie to cycling. I have loads of questions. The big question I have right now though concerns the heat. I live in Florida so the heat can be murderous. I recently got offered a job that is a few miles away which I can do on my trike. However, I'm concerned about arriving to work sweating like a pig when it really starts to heat up, which will be soon here.

Right now my gear is low-tech. I did splurge on a helmet and plan to put a three speed on my one speed trike. But, what can I do about the heat besides drink plenty of water. Is it worth it to invest in some biker apparel that I would change out of when I get to the office? And what am I looking for exactly?

I would hate to arrive at the office, already soaking wet with sweat.
Old 04-21-10, 07:29 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by SunnyMiami
I hope someone sees this post. It seems like it has been a while since the last post in this thread.

I am definitely a newbie to cycling. I have loads of questions. The big question I have right now though concerns the heat. I live in Florida so the heat can be murderous. I recently got offered a job that is a few miles away which I can do on my trike. However, I'm concerned about arriving to work sweating like a pig when it really starts to heat up, which will be soon here.

Right now my gear is low-tech. I did splurge on a helmet and plan to put a three speed on my one speed trike. But, what can I do about the heat besides drink plenty of water. Is it worth it to invest in some biker apparel that I would change out of when I get to the office? And what am I looking for exactly?

Thanks for posting.

I would suggest that you post in the commuting forum - lots of answers there, I would think. However, you may also get some good responses here, but as this is a sticky, sometimes it is ignored.
Old 04-22-10, 03:58 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll do as you suggest since I need some type of answer relatively quickly.
Old 05-23-10, 04:34 AM
daveinozbikes

Bikes: Apollo racer. circa 1984.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent post Catweazle......

Catweazle?? I remember the TV series...funny or what !!! "NOTHING WORKS !!!" hahaha.

Now, I"m just turned 65 (ugh) and a year ago I dragged my old racer out of the shed where it had sat under a plastic sheet for 20 years...yes, twenty years !! Because in that time I was into touring motorcycling big time all over Australia.

Even when I first got the bike it was a whim and I hardly rode it.

Then I went crazy...or crazier. I spent $300 doing the old bike up.... Bought all the "right" clothes and shoes,even fitted clipless pedals on the old bike. The kids cracked up laughing..

I had always been told "your feet should touch the ground" OK...

Then people like you taught me the correct way. slide off the saddle when stopping. One problem though....the topbar was 1" above my groin so I never got round to trying that method.

Soooooo...bought the frame of a triathlon bike ( a Trek Equinox E9 in RED) for a song and proceeded to rebuild it with parts from Ebay and others. What a project!! I suggested to my wife that I had got so much knowledge perhaps I should tried bike mechanics part-time..

Now I can do it right..starting and stopping (and the Trek is about 10kgs lighter than my old bike), which sits forlornly in the shed again....
Old 08-21-10, 01:38 PM
scary_perry
Fatso

Bikes: 2010 GIANT TCX 1, 2010 Tomac Cortez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turn 40 next year. Riding well past 50 is a really big deal for me. I want to be active right to the end.

For you awesome folk that have kept the flame alive - what tips can you give me?

My focus will be weight loss, flexibility and bone density. Anything else?
Old 08-21-10, 03:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by scary_perry
I turn 40 next year. Riding well past 50 is a really big deal for me. I want to be active right to the end.

For you awesome folk that have kept the flame alive - what tips can you give me?

YES

None of the above goals will keep you riding after 50.

What will keep you riding after 50 is finding that bicycling is a totally enjoyable and fun activity, and finding in that activity other things that interest and/or satisfy you. Perhaps it is the challenge of the race; or the sociability of riding with others; or the "alone time" when you have an opportunity to reflect and shed the days/weeks/months worries; or the solititude as you go new places by yourself and meet your own personal challenges; or the satisfaction of touring around the country, etc., etc.

Those are the kinds of things that will keep you bicycling (or perhaps some other interesting physcial activity) after 50. The things you mentioned are side benefits, except bone density.

Bone density is NOT a side benefit of bicycling - in fact, just the opposite. which is why many of us engage in resistance training and cross training.

But, first of all, it must be fun.

Have a great ride,

DnvrFox - age 70 and still riding.
Old 08-21-10, 03:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by scary_perry
Find others to ride with.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=524843

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-21-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 07:06 AM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I lost my Driving rights and that is why I ride. Can't drive a car but can ride a bicycle, both in State of WA are motorized vehical, RIGHT my heart is the motor. But have learned to enjoy riding even in the rain. HA HA WA again RIGHT rains 90% of the time. Any how you will just enjoy it and hay if you ride at 40 think how much better you will be at 50.

When I was driving I use to just get in the car and drive see where I end up. Well some day I need to do that with my bike just ride and see where I end up.

Have fun and hey eat some bugs. Make less for me.
Old 08-23-10, 07:10 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Well I lost my Driving rights and that is why I ride.
Probably one of the best reasons stated on this forum for bicycling!!
Old 08-25-10, 06:34 AM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent! Very informative. Thanks to Catweazle for the original post, and to the other contributors, well done. I'm a newbie to BF but not to cycling, this post and comments gives anyone who reads it much to consider and learn from. Again, well done and thanks a bunch.

DW
Old 08-30-10, 12:33 PM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in Heat

Originally Posted by SunnyFlorida

I ride to work every day and when it hot tripple didgets here Yes in Seattle Washington it was 105 well I just used extra deotoernat when I got to work. I bus tables in a food court at a mall. So I was in from the heat and in 5 mins on the floor bussing. Only thing I was asked was how was the ride today I said HOT. and that was it. So wear your work close or bring them with you if your concerned. Happy riding in the heat.
Old 09-05-10, 11:06 PM
jlew

Bikes: Velo Sport Niagara, se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. I turned 50 this year back in April, and today was my first ride since I was a teenager (17 I think), so I truely am a new newbie say to speek. I will be watching for any pointers that anyone has to offer. And oh, today's ride was most enjoyable...I think I bored my wife with it, as it was all I talked about the rest of the day.
Old 09-06-10, 06:13 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by jlew
Hello everyone. I turned 50 this year back in April, and today was my first ride since I was a teenager (17 I think), so I truely am a new newbie say to speek. I will be watching for any pointers that anyone has to offer. And oh, today's ride was most enjoyable...I think I bored my wife with it, as it was all I talked about the rest of the day.
Welcome. Get your wife riding with you.
Old 09-07-10, 02:40 PM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Done and done. Topics are included in the links list.

Edit:

P.S. I'm done with this for today. My daughter has just informed me that it's my birthday, so I'm off to celebrate what I'd forgotten about
Well let me wish you a happy Birthday. And many more
Old 09-07-10, 04:27 PM
froging
Fully Relying On God

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Catweazle has disappeared.

However, there is an excellent recent 50+ thread on what to carry, somewhere. Just do a search, and if you find it, post the link on this thread
So why didn't you look it up and post it here? Since you know where it's at, and it's out there! I did a search and it sent me to this thread. Thats how I started on this thread back in 2009.
Old 09-07-10, 04:44 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

So why didn't you look it up and post it here? Since you know where it's at, and it's out there! I did a search and it sent me to this thread. Thats how I started on this thread back in 2009.
I don't know where it is any more than anyone else. Just because I remember reading it, doesn't mean I know where it is.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-07-10 at 05:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.