Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 04-11-20, 11:31 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
As I remember, it had a rubbery texture. Here's a better picture.
Old 04-12-20, 10:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor

My daughter picked her bike up this morning for a test ride. The saddle is a sort of raggedy one that came on my m/v. I have a lot better one for it that Seypat sent. She is pretty picky about saddles so this one is just for testing, I'm sure she will change it. We haven't picked out bar tape yet we wanted to see how it fit. So far she says it feels good. It got rainy before she had a chance to ride it much. We had to repaint part of the green and the parts store didn't get it matched very well. She said she sort of likes it, I am wishing we had painted the whole seat tube, but it looked a lot closer until it dried. We also repainted some of the white and I think it came out good. I don't really like the black chain rings but that's what I had. They are 30/39/50 with a 11-28 10 speed cassette. She wanted something that would climb hills and I think it will fit the bill.
Nice looking bike! If you have any experience with Avocet touring saddles, they made Women's specific models. You might look for one of those.
Old 04-12-20, 11:28 AM
CenturionII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have enjoyed reading all of the great information on this thread. I don’t have the Ironman, but an 86 Elite RS that my brother left me back in the early 90’s. I still love the ride.

Likes For CenturionII:
Old 04-12-20, 11:58 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionII
I have enjoyed reading all of the great information on this thread. I don’t have the Ironman, but an 86 Elite RS that my brother left me back in the early 90’s. I still love the ride.

Don't tell anyone but the people who follow this thread like all things Centurion.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 04-12-20, 05:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I finally hit the wall with my Ironman frame touch-up project. My initial goal was to get it looking OK from 10 feet - I told myself not to go totally anal on the project. Just get it ready to ride. Yeah . . . right! After about a month of mixing paint, I feel I got the color at about 98% - you can tell the spots when you’re at 2 feet. Every time I did a spot, my wet sanding (800 grit) would take it down to the primer. I tried airbrushing, but my skills were suspect, at best. Eventually, I returned to the airbrush and got a much better result. I haven’t been able to get out and find the appropriate color to mix for the yellow, yet, but that will be less of a hassle. I just needed to get this bike put together! Today, I installed the bottom bracket, the headset, the brakes, rear axle stops, and handlebars. The cables and housing should be here tomorrow (white braided). I’ll start out with the white saddle and maybe switch to the yellow one once I figure out how to get the leather to wrap around the difficult curves. Bar tape will be yellow/gold. I will likely go back and retouch a few spots, but for now, I just want to get out and ride!

If I am ever trying to do a touch-up of paint that has chipped off, I never sand or feather the edges first.
I clean the chip as best as I can first and then thin the paint as much as possible...just thin enough to leave a decent amount of color in the chipped area (going out to the edges of the chip) and let it dry before applying another coat of color. The lack of feathering leave and edge that the new paint can fill to....I never try to fill in with one complete coat but use several to build up the paint so that it is just slightly above the "original" surface...then try to sand "only" the smallest amount of area where the touch-up is in order to get it level. use a 1200 wet dry to do this and follow with a fine polishing compound.
Another trick that I have found useful is to position the frame so that the chip is as parallel to the ground as possible...this is done so that I don't get that blob or pooling of paint that always occurs when the paint flows downwards...you know what I mean, and I never sand through to the primer unless I am going to use an airbrush or spray gun to paint with.
It would be nice to see how your method turned out..it looks good from 2 ft.
JM2C's
Ben
Old 04-12-20, 06:34 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
If I am ever trying to do a touch-up of paint that has chipped off, I never sand or feather the edges first.
I clean the chip as best as I can first and then thin the paint as much as possible...just thin enough to leave a decent amount of color in the chipped area (going out to the edges of the chip) and let it dry before applying another coat of color. The lack of feathering leave and edge that the new paint can fill to....I never try to fill in with one complete coat but use several to build up the paint so that it is just slightly above the "original" surface...then try to sand "only" the smallest amount of area where the touch-up is in order to get it level. use a 1200 wet dry to do this and follow with a fine polishing compound.
Another trick that I have found useful is to position the frame so that the chip is as parallel to the ground as possible...this is done so that I don't get that blob or pooling of paint that always occurs when the paint flows downwards...you know what I mean, and I never sand through to the primer unless I am going to use an airbrush or spray gun to paint with.
It would be nice to see how your method turned out..it looks good from 2 ft.
JM2C's
Ben
Thanks for the tips, Ben. I think you might have described your process earlier somewhere, because I tried some if those techniques. I was probably a little heavy-handed with the sanding, though. My biggest challenge was getting the paint mixed closely enough to the original - that purple/magenta is a bear to match up. With your method, you can focus specifically on the spot. I ended up covering a larger area to get a smooth (mostly) coating. I was able to finish without using any sandpaper - I used 3M Perfect It II followed by 3M Finesse It and then Zymol Spray Wax. The result is an acceptable finish from about 8 feet, but when you get the magnifying glass out, you can tell where the work was done. Still, it’s better that when I got it it. Thanks again for the tips - I’ll try that on one of my other bikes.
Old 04-12-20, 08:44 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Ben. I think you might have described your process earlier somewhere, because I tried some if those techniques. I was probably a little heavy-handed with the sanding, though. My biggest challenge was getting the paint mixed closely enough to the original - that purple/magenta is a bear to match up. With your method, you can focus specifically on the spot. I ended up covering a larger area to get a smooth (mostly) coating. I was able to finish without using any sandpaper - I used 3M Perfect It II followed by 3M Finesse It and then Zymol Spray Wax. The result is an acceptable finish from about 8 feet, but when you get the magnifying glass out, you can tell where the work was done. Still, it’s better that when I got it it. Thanks again for the tips - I’ll try that on one of my other bikes.
Looks better than an 8 footer! What did you do to the seat, it looks great....
Best, Ben
Old 04-12-20, 09:14 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Looks better than an 8 footer! What did you do to the seat, it looks great....
Best, Ben
I have to start over on the seat - it had too many compound, tight curves in the back to get the leather to lay flat. I may have to splice in a rear section like the original WTB cover. I’ll have get my daughter to help with proper stitching for that. But for the top and sides, it looked pretty good.
Old 04-13-20, 10:11 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
so for those of you who have restored or repainted the ironman which brand of white paint did you use and as far as prep what did you do ?
Old 04-13-20, 01:32 PM
valve_timing

also my 89 came with a hyperglide 7 speed cassette on it. and shimano 52/42 biopace crank i know the smallest cog is 13t gotta go home and check to see what the largest is . but i wanted to know what the largest rear cog the RD will handle. Just want something for climbing .
Old 04-13-20, 02:50 PM
ddeand 

With all the time I've had on my hands, I figured I'd do a little update on how I went about touching up the chips and scrapes on my Ironman with an airbrush. I had one spot left to do, so I took some pics and did a short (and very amateurish) video of the process. First, of course, is getting the area ready to paint - then the steps are as follows:
  • Tell your Alexa or other device to play Steely Dan music
  • Cut out and tape on a "frame"around the area you're painting
  • Add a small amount of paint to the airbrush cup you borrowed from your son
  • Adjust the spray power/flow to about half of full blast
  • Slowly and carefully spray the area through the hole on the "frame"
  • Let it dry, then rub out with light rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and wax
Here are the pics from today. In all, it took me about 5 hours to get the paint right and learn how to use and adjust the airbrush, and about 5 minutes to actually do the work today. As the paint dries, it will blend in better. Also, rubbing it out will also help with the blend.

Here is the little YouTube video I made of the spraying part. Sorry for the quality - first time and all.

This is the spot on the top tube that needs the touch-up

This is the "frame" around the spot

Thank you, Andy!

Through the cutout.

Immediately after spraying.

Ten minutes after spraying.

Results from two feet. The little flaw will rub out with compound.

Interesting process, and I learned something new! I'll definitely use this technique again and maybe do a whole paint job with the airbrush.

Old 04-13-20, 04:09 PM
texaspandj

Nice job. For video and post.
Old 04-13-20, 04:31 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Great job on the color match. I should get back to work on my wife's MV.
Old 04-13-20, 05:18 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by valve_timing
so for those of you who have restored or repainted the ironman which brand of white paint did you use and as far as prep what did you do ?
For my 86, IM I only needed to touch up the white . I used Krylon Shorts Cuts White (comes in a small bottle with a screw cap) To prep the chip I sand the edges , clean and put in some 3M single part spot putty , sand that and paint color with a good touch up brush (I get them from a art supply store . For painting a whole frame (I have never had to strip to bear) I fix chips like I just said , just spot filler , then I sand the whole frame with paper and I also use 3M Scotch Bright pads , those make it very easy to get to the tight spots . At this point decide if you want to primer , Always do a light sand between coats , heavier where there is orange peel . Krylon is my favorite rattle can paint , most of it you don't really even need to clear coat or primer . Please this is just what works for me . But now reading @ddeand s' post that looks very good .

Last edited by markwesti; 04-13-20 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 05:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
also my 89 came with a hyperglide 7 speed cassette on it. and shimano 52/42 biopace crank i know the smallest cog is 13t gotta go home and check to see what the largest is . but i wanted to know what the largest rear cog the RD will handle. Just want something for climbing .
The rear derailleur should handle up to a 28T big cog on a 7-speed freewheel or cassette. I was skeptical about this myself a couple of years ago, but made it work just fine with Suntour GPX and comparable Shimano rear derailleurs.

Main issue: Be sure the chain is long enough to shift into the 52T big chainring and 28T rear cog. Even if you plan to avoid ever using that combination, some day, some way, when you're egg-beatering up a climb, legs thrashing like a Yorkie dog paddling, thighs on fire, all form and grace lost 30 seconds ago, desperately trying to avoid slowing down to a walking pace and toppling over or actually bailing out and walking... you'll shift into the dreaded big/big combo.

And don't count on drivetrain noise as a guide to avoiding crosschaining. When ambient noise is high from wind, traffic, or if we listen to music or podcasts while riding, we won't even hear crosschaining. And if the drivetrain is optimized, including super-slick lubes like wax, Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry with PTFE, or your favorite lube of choice, it's harder to hear or feel any crosschaining.

If I'm installing a new chain and don't have the old chain as a guide for the correct length, I'll err on the side of cutting the chain too long, then remove one link at a time until it'll safely handle the big/big combo without being too long and flopping around smacking the seat stay.

Some older rear derailleurs have the "B" screw for adjusting the distance between the RD pulleys and freewheel/cassette. It'll help when stuffing a 28T big cog into a setup intended only for 21 or 24 tooth big cogs. Takes a bit of fiddling and testing on a work stand or indoor trainer to get it right. But once done it's usually set and forget, won't need to be adjusted again.

With Biopace rings, which are eccentric -- not quite oval but not round -- there will be slight differences in chain "length" throughout the cycle. So check the shifting thoroughly on a work stand or indoor trainer (or have a helper hold up the bike with the rear wheel off the ground/floor) while you shift through the entire gear range several times. Before riding I always check on the indoor trainer with the resistance set normally, which emulates road riding conditions pretty well -- although it's not unusual for a glitch to become apparent only on the road.
Old 04-13-20, 07:04 PM
CenturionII

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CenturionII

I meant to say this is an 85. Fat fingered the date.
Old 04-13-20, 07:24 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
... some day, some way, when you're egg-beatering up a climb, legs thrashing like a Yorkie dog paddling, thighs on fire, all form and grace lost 30 seconds ago, desperately trying to avoid slowing down to a walking pace and toppling over or actually bailing out and walking... you'll shift into the dreaded big/big combo.
That’s some of the finest prose I’ve ever read on BF. Chapeau, Sir!
Old 04-13-20, 07:28 PM
texaspandj

You should have the 600 (6400) tricolor deraileurs. You shouldn't have a problem with a 28. On the Shimano level below it 105 (1050) some reportedly have even put a 30t rear cog.
Special note: not only adjust the B screw but also adust the drop out screws. Allow your rear wheel to really set back .
Old 04-15-20, 12:17 PM
ddeand 

I got as far as I could go with the touch-up portion of my rebuild - still need to get the yellow sorted out. So, here’s the MV as it stands, now - ready to ride! The setup is 8-speed D-A, 600 hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims. I was shocked when I weighed the bike with my digital fishing scale - 21.5 lbs. That’s pretty light for a 58cm bike from this era, so I’ll have to double-check it later. I’d go out today, but it’s only 26 degrees. Maybe Friday or Saturday.

Last edited by ddeand; 04-15-20 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-15-20, 01:27 PM
valve_timing

a little update i got a cinelli 1E 110 stem from a buddy and i managed to round off the clamp binder bolt and i cant find a m7 1mm metric cap screw.
Old 04-15-20, 02:27 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 91 Posts
fleslider...

Yes, thank you so much for posting the Centurion catalogs, including my year, 1987.

I don't remember what thread, or with who, but recently we discussed what cluster came original on an '87 Master.
The debate was whether it was a 13-21 or 13-24.
The catalog shows 13-21 for the Master, and 13-24 for an Expert.
Likes For 67tony:
Old 04-15-20, 03:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
18.2 lbs

I’d double check that scale. They “ride lighter,” anyway, but 18.2 in that trim; doubtful. Almost any setup, actually.

I got as far as I could go with the touch-up portion of my rebuild - still need to get the yellow sorted out. So, here’s the MV as it stands, now - ready to ride! The setup is 8-speed D-A, 600 hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims. I was shocked when I weighed the bike with my digital fishing scale - 18.2 lbs. That’s pretty light for a 58cm bike from this era, so I’ll have to double-check it later. I’d go out today, but it’s only 26 degrees. Maybe Friday or Saturday.

Old 04-15-20, 03:08 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by 67tony
fleslider...

Yes, thank you so much for posting the Centurion catalogs, including my year, 1987.

I don't remember what thread, or with who, but recently we discussed what cluster came original on an '87 Master.
The debate was whether it was a 13-21 or 13-24.
The catalog shows 13-21 for the Master, and 13-24 for an Expert.
That's interesting. My stock '88 Master came with 13-24. Also my '89 Master. I never had an '87 Master only the Expert, which of course had the 13-24.
We definitely need to get a '88 and '89 Catalog.
Old 04-15-20, 03:17 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I’d double check that scale. They “ride lighter,” anyway, but 18.2 in that trim; doubtful. Almost any setup, actually.
I was figuring it would fall in the 21-22 lbs. range. That’s what my Miyata Pro weighed with this set of components. Maybe the handlebar tape was 2 lbs. lighter?😉
Old 04-15-20, 07:21 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Rechecked the weight. It’s 21.5 lbs. Much more believable!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.