Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bikes stolen?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bikes stolen?

Old 12-08-20, 01:08 PM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are bikes stolen?

Hello All:
Was reading another thread about stolen bikes and am wondering, "Why ARE bikes stolen?"
I'm sure no-one is sticking them in shipping containers and sending them away like they do with luxury cars / SUVs.
Is there a black market for bike parts? Or do people just steal these things and sell them for cheap online?
I could see someone stealing a bike to get around, but a CF race bike seems like a poor choice for a daily driver.
Old 12-08-20, 01:17 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
People sell stolen bikes and parts on Craigslist all the time. There is a surplus of buyers looking for a good deal and (usually) not asking many questions. The transactions are usually completely anonymous and cash-only.
Old 12-08-20, 01:18 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Someone once said bikes are the currency of drug addicts.

Lots of stories of people finding their stolen bikes for sale on line. Most thieves don't even bother to disguise them, just sell them outright. Pawn shops are another fencing ground.

I occasionally come across $3k new, year old full suspension bikes on CL for $500 or less. Seems like the picture is usually in front of a storage unit. The ads rarely stay up more than a day so my guess is they sell in hurry to people who ask less questions than I do.

Unfortunately the market is there.

Would also say lots of cheaper bikes are just dumped somewhere else.
Old 12-08-20, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Seriously?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-08-20, 01:24 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I see that you're in BC.
Here you go: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/d/b...rts/search/bip

I'm sure most of this stuff is legit, but 2700+ listings for "bike parts". Not hard to imagine that some of this might've come off of stolen bikes and/or been shoplifted.

Where did this person get a dozen bike forks from?https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...243504774.html
Old 12-08-20, 01:26 PM
CaliDreaming

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes have value and are relatively easy to steal. It's sad but you can do things to protect against this, like storing your bike inside.
Old 12-08-20, 02:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Because they can be stolen and in many cases they can be quite easy to steal because people don't lock them up. It is a way to make money for some without much work. Plus as long as there is a market people will keep doing it. If people stopped buying stolen bikes and equipment there would be less theft and if we could provide people with good jobs that pay fairly and provide people with quality healthcare and housing without putting them in financial ruin, maybe just maybe we wouldn't need to steal much if at all. I mean one could go much deeper than that but if we all take care of each other we may not need to steal from each other?

Stealing can also provide some cheap thrills and people love excitement. Maybe provide people with more accessible thrills and that could also help.
Old 12-08-20, 02:18 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
$/lb, bikes are one of the best things that a thief can steal.

Sad but true.

I know a buddy who was sitting in his velombile by a convenience store once, with the race hood on, so it looked empty from a distance. Two guys got out of a truck and literally started to lift it with him in it when he yelled and they ran away.

People suck.
Old 12-08-20, 02:50 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Bikes are pretty valuable, pretty easy to steal/transport and pretty hard to identify or prove/disprove ownership. If you don't know the serial number and don't have any custom parts, how can you tell that it's your bike and not some other of the same model?

There's a roaring trade in 2nd hand bikes of all values, some of which are presumably stolen. Most of it is opportunistic to steal something easy and sell it for $100 online, though some of it is targeted because some people won't ask many questions if a bike is being sold for a fraction of it's real value.
Old 12-08-20, 02:52 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by The Clumsy Oaf
Hello All:
Was reading another thread about stolen bikes and am wondering, "Why ARE bikes stolen?"
I'm sure no-one is sticking them in shipping containers and sending them away like they do with luxury cars / SUVs.
Is there a black market for bike parts? Or do people just steal these things and sell them for cheap online?
I could see someone stealing a bike to get around, but a CF race bike seems like a poor choice for a daily driver.
Hello Clumsy:
Was reading another thread about tires wearing less on dirt paths and am wondering, “Why DO tires wear less on dirt paths?”
I’m sure the pavement is not just moving around and yielding to the rubber like the way dirt does.
Is there a black market for road tires? Or do people just ride these tires then sell them for cheap online?
I could see someone using a road tire to get around, but it seems like a poor choice for riding on dirt paths.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 12-08-20, 03:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Hello All:
Its a valued good. Its stolen for the same reasons other valued goods are stolen.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-08-20, 03:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Why doesn’t everyone steal bicycles?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-08-20, 03:27 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Bikes are stolen because they have value.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-08-20, 03:57 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
bikes are stolen because some folks are thieves
Old 12-08-20, 04:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Bikes have been used as currency among the homeless and drug addicts.

I'm sure no-one [sic] is sticking them in shipping containers and sending them away like they do with luxury cars.
I wouldn't be so "sure." Bike theft can be incredibly organized. It's much easier to sell stolen goods outside the market in which they come, even if it's in the next state over.
Old 12-08-20, 04:58 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sometimes, I believe, bikes are just stolen by bored kids, but the majority are probably stolen for resale. I have read that bicycle theft is worst in areas where bike riding is popular. Contributory, I suspect, is also less than energetic pursuit by the police. Perhaps some of the victims here could comment on that.
Old 12-08-20, 07:27 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Hello All:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-09-20, 01:51 AM
Herzlos

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I wouldn't be so "sure." Bike theft can be incredibly organized. It's much easier to sell stolen goods outside the market in which they come, even if it's in the next state over.
True, it'll be much easier to pass a high value bike off as legitimate if it's in a different country/state. There's less chance of any bike registration scheme covering both countries or the owner stumbling across it for sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if bikes were stolen in the US to be sold in stores in Mexico, for instance. It wouldn't make sense for a Walmart special, but would for the higher end stuff.
Old 12-09-20, 06:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I wouldn't be surprised if bikes were stolen in the US to be sold in stores in Mexico, for instance. It wouldn't make sense for a Walmart special, but would for the higher end stuff.
I would be. Unless you're in a border town transporting a $1000 or less item makes no sense. I don't know how much high end disposable income exists in Mexico either.
Old 12-09-20, 06:34 AM
Herzlos

Originally Posted by dedhed
I would be. Unless you're in a border town transporting a $1000 or less item makes no sense. I don't know how much high end disposable income exists in Mexico either.
Only if you're driving a single bike over, then it's not worth the time. Take a van full of bikes/parts over and you could easily make enough. I've no idea how much Mexicans spend on bikes but presumably there are still plenty of people who'd want a $10,000 bike for $2,000.

I'm only using Mexico as an example since I assume most of the forum is Mexican. I was originally thinking something like Germany to Albania (which is where a lot of stolen cars end up). It'd probably work within a country too; almost no-one in Florida will be looking for their stolen bike in Vegas.

One of the bike parks here is getting a bad reputation for bikes going missing - groups of cyclists mostly standing about watching people and then their bikes being stolen a few days later, people leaving a bike unattended for seconds and it being in a van and away.
Old 12-09-20, 07:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
No need to go to Mexico .... Steal a few vans-full of bikes at college campuses, drive a hundred miles to the nearest major city .... Everybody wants a $10,000 bike for $2,000 .... just some of us would realize it was too good to be true and wouldn't get involved.
Old 12-09-20, 07:15 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
True, it'll be much easier to pass a high value bike off as legitimate if it's in a different country/state. There's less chance of any bike registration scheme covering both countries or the owner stumbling across it for sale.

LOL. I have a house in Mexico and lived there for many years. You'd be surprised at how not stereotypical it is. You are so wrong, its not funny. High end bikes there are more expensive because of import costs, and they are not stolen.

There are some very wealthy people there, it is a nation of haves and have-nots. The "haves" have a LOT.
Old 12-09-20, 07:27 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Only if you're driving a single bike over, then it's not worth the time. Take a van full of bikes/parts over and you could easily make enough. I've no idea how much Mexicans spend on bikes but presumably there are still plenty of people who'd want a $10,000 bike for $2,000.

I'm only using Mexico as an example since I assume most of the forum is Mexican. I was originally thinking something like Germany to Albania (which is where a lot of stolen cars end up). It'd probably work within a country too; almost no-one in Florida will be looking for their stolen bike in Vegas.

One of the bike parks here is getting a bad reputation for bikes going missing - groups of cyclists mostly standing about watching people and then their bikes being stolen a few days later, people leaving a bike unattended for seconds and it being in a van and away.
This sort of thing goes on here in Canada. I know one person in my city (in Ontario) whose high-end bike was stolen. It was found months later in Calgary, Alberta, under new "ownership". Located because the original owner had registered it with a dedicated site, and filed a proper police report when it was stolen.
Old 12-09-20, 07:32 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
They're hard to trace and easy to pawn.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-09-20, 07:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.