Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Interesting experiences with insects? I had one!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Interesting experiences with insects? I had one!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
As others, I was stung by bees, swallowed gnats and mosquitoes, etc. But the worst was when climbing a steep hill on a touring loaded bike, at about 7-8kph, lots of horseflies kept attacking me. They can bite through clothes, but they are slow, so usually you can kill or shoo them away before they bite. Finally I stopped, cut a small branch from a tree and used it to keep the bugs at bay while riding one handed.
Old 12-28-20, 08:40 PM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
I once pulled a glass out, dumped ice and then tea into it. First swig and felt something "fuzzy" in my mouth. Leaned over the sink and spit out a big, black spider. Flushed it down. It wasn't moving so I figured it was dead in the glass before I filled it. New glass, fresh tea. Walked by the sink and guess what was now crawling out of the drain.
I never told the wife about that of course.

You might have just invented a new vodka-based cocktail...
“Spider Spritz Tea”. It must be on ice, of course, as it keeps the swelling down.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 12-28-20 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-20, 07:52 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I've been lucky on bicycles, I guess; only ever bothered by clouds of gnats and haven't swallowed any yet. If I think of it I'll take a bandana to put over my face in the future.

I got nailed by a wasp once though. I'd gone someplace on my motorscooter and locked my helmet onto it. When I came back out, I started to put the helmet on and got stung on the ear a couple times. Flung the helmet down on the grass and ran off a few yards until it was safe, then got on the scooter and made for the nearest drugstore to buy a box of antihistamines and found somewhere to get a drink to wash a couple of them down with. Now I have them in my little first aid kit which is with me anytime I'm cycling or kayaking. Also, I always check the helmet before putting it on. Boy Scout motto.
Old 01-02-21, 01:12 PM
Roychol

Bikes: Scott Reflex 3.0/GT Karakoram Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've ingested more than a few gnats. Also have had loads of gnats and little flies getting trapped in my beard. Never been stung/bitten by anything while riding but have had many bugs painfully pelting off my arms and face. Had a few bugs in the vicinity of my eyes, but a quick flutter of the eyes cleared that out pretty quick my naturally long lashes came in handy I guess. One time I did have a bug get caught in my eye. Not sure what it was, but it hurt like crazy. Almost abandoned my ride and went home, but as I stated to move again I was okay, and just moved away from the MUP by the river to the road that parallels it, far enough from the bugs that like the river area on the early evening.
Old 01-02-21, 03:03 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Nothing more than riding thru a horde of gnats on a bicycle. But I did have a bee fly into my motorcycle helmet once--heard it buzzing, but luckily I had a full head of thick hair back then! Also rode thru a horde of cicadas on the motorcycle-while wearing a t-shirt--ouch! All over 30 yrs.ago.
In some sections on the trail I ride on, the horde of gnats can be 50 ft long!
Old 01-04-21, 07:24 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Mostly gnats. Had one fly all the way into the back of my throat. Hurts! Breathe thru my teeth when I see them nowadays.

Only a couple of bee stings. Unknown sting in the dark. Possibly bee but the swelling was worse and lasted longer than the typical bee sting. Don't think it was a wasp 'cause they don't bother me as much as a bee sting.