Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dangit. Tore thread(s) in the casing.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-04-21, 04:09 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Was putting on my Suomi/Nokian W106 studded tires. Heard at least one of the threads in the casing snap when I was stretching the bead over the rim. Dang it. Is there a fool-proof method of putting tires on so you don't ruin them? Not the first tire I've damaged in this way, but definitely the most expensive.
Old 01-04-21, 06:33 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Not sure if this will help in your situation but are you mounting the tires with both beads in the middle of the rim? I have to do that with my American Classic wheels or I'll ruin tires and break tire levers trying to get a tire on.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-04-21, 09:32 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
It takes a heckuva lot of force to break a bead. Are you sure that's what happened?
Old 01-05-21, 01:47 AM
duffer1960

Originally Posted by John_V
Not sure if this will help in your situation but are you mounting the tires with both beads in the middle of the rim? I have to do that with my American Classic wheels or I'll ruin tires and break tire levers trying to get a tire on.
Not sure what you mean by that. I put one bead fully on.. that's easy... get the valve stem through.. completely deflate the tube while.. getting the other bead on. It's the last few inches that take some force.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It takes a heckuva lot of force to break a bead. Are you sure that's what happened?
Not breaking the bead wire, just snapping one or more threads in the casing when pushing the last few inches over the rim. No, not even sure that's what happened. The tire is on and performing fine. My concern is I've shortened the life of the tire. Maybe not much if only one thread got broken. The effect I'd fear is the tire would eventually get a wiggle or bulge that would force me to retire it. That has happened with another tire, on the other hand they were cheap tires and rather old and worn at the time... may have been casing fatigue that would've happened anyway.

--------------

I didn't have to use tire levers; these don't seem that tight. Maybe if I had used tire levers, and levered the last few inches over without dragging them hard on the edge of the rim. Sounds easy enough.

Last edited by duffer1960; 01-05-21 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-05-21, 06:56 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
Not sure what you mean by that. I put one bead fully on.. that's easy... get the valve stem through.. completely deflate the tube while.. getting the other bead on. It's the last few inches that take some force.
After you have one side of the tire mounted and the tube in, as you start mounting the other side of the tire, push both sides that have been mounted toward the center of the wheel so that the wire beads are touching each other. Before you mount the last few inches of the tire, go around the tire and make sure that what you have mounted is still in the center of the wheel, Those last few inches should pop right on, often times without a tire lever. This method also helps prevent pinch flats since the tube has to be inside the tire in order for the beads to be touching each other.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V:
Old 01-05-21, 03:41 PM
duffer1960

Originally Posted by John_V
After you have one side of the tire mounted and the tube in, as you start mounting the other side of the tire, push both sides that have been mounted toward the center of the wheel so that the wire beads are touching each other. Before you mount the last few inches of the tire, go around the tire and make sure that what you have mounted is still in the center of the wheel, Those last few inches should pop right on, often times without a tire lever. This method also helps prevent pinch flats since the tube has to be inside the tire in order for the beads to be touching each other.
Thanks. Yes, sounds right.