Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Missing Link Reuse?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Missing Link Reuse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 04:55 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Missing Link Reuse?

Yea, Ok. I know all the missing link directions are quite clear that you should only use them once. Why? How many folks reuse them and what is the thinking behind this or consequences? Seems this could get quite $$$ for those of us that like to remove our chains often for cleaning.
Old 09-17-18, 05:03 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...uick-link.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...uick-link.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...eed-chain.html
Old 09-17-18, 05:10 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I've used them over and over again without consequence. Once I couldn't get one loose and had to bend the crap out of it, but that's it. I have 1 per chain and I also keep a few spares around just in case.
Likes For Doctor Morbius:
Old 09-17-18, 05:52 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
My KMC chains say 'Reuseable' right on the packaging. My one SRAM chain doesn't say it specifically on the packaging, but it's been apart a handful of times, wit no ill effects.
Old 09-17-18, 05:53 AM
buffalo4life

Bikes: 86 Trek 330 fixie, 2011 Trek 1.1, POS mb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use and re use the quick link for the life on the chain it's part of. New chains get new quick links.
Likes For buffalo4life:
Old 09-17-18, 06:34 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
My KMC 9 speed links are marked re-usable. The 11 speed ones are marked as one-time use. I believe that I would try to reuse, since I always carry a few new links,
Old 09-17-18, 07:13 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I reuse them, found that after a few times they become loose, as in you can assemble/disassemble them with your bare hands. Still no problem, they never came out while riding. RD tension is apparently enough to keep them together.
Old 09-17-18, 08:14 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
If you want a true ‘reusable’ quick or ‘master’ link, then get a Connex link. It’s hands down the best, and designed to be reused indefinitely. I use a Connex chain on my daily rider, but I use Connex links on all my chains, regardless of brand and they are fantastic. Requires no tools to install or remove.
Old 09-17-18, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
One QL per chain. Then when the chain is worn out, the QL goes into the spare link stockpile. I think I've only ever used the spare link once or twice in the last dozen years.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-17-18, 09:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I wouldn't be too interested to use a link on multiple chains. New link on old chain is a waste of a link & it would unfairly assume more than its fair share of the load based on wear disparity. Old link on new chain? Similar thoughts. If it wasn't worn out, why'd you replace it?

When the chain wears, the link wears with it, presumably at the same (or similar) rate as the rest of the chain. Reusing the same link on the same chain, however...sure. I would call it a "matched set." But I wouldn't be keen to make/break the link gratuitiously. When they snap together/apart easily...say after 4 or 5 uses, I consider, but don't necessarily buy, a new link. The chain is usually worn enough by that time to replace the whole kit & kaboodle by soon anyhow.

Last edited by base2; 09-17-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 09:27 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
If you want a true ‘reusable’ quick or ‘master’ link, then get a Connex link. It’s hands down the best, and designed to be reused indefinitely. I use a Connex chain on my daily rider, but I use Connex links on all my chains, regardless of brand and they are fantastic. Requires no tools to install or remove.
Thanks! Nice tips
Old 09-17-18, 09:51 AM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, remove quickie link, clean chain, put back on, repeat, during life of chain.

When chain is worn out the quickie link is given to riding buddies to carry as emergency spare.

You see the quickie link wears just like the rest of the chain pins so it will be retired with the chain when the chain is at end of life.

Then start the cycle again with new chain and new quickie link.

Used SRAM, KMC and Connex quickie links for as long as they have been around. Now using the new Shimano quickie links. Like them all. Shimano seems to be the tightest of the snap together style. Quickie link pliers make removal/installation a breeze. Connex is neat as it is simple bare hands jigsaw puzzle. Be sure to orient the Connex link to match cassete curvature or it will skip on 11 tooth cog.

Since using these quickie links for so long over the years I have had only one Connex link crack and one SRAM link fail. Pretty decent record considering the number of miles and abuse on and off road.

Good luck
Old 09-17-18, 10:00 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by base2
I wouldn't be too interested to use a link on multiple chains. New link on old chain is a waste of a link & it would unfairly assume more than its fair share of the load based on wear disparity. Old link on new chain? Similar thoughts. If it wasn't worn out, why'd you replace it?

When the chain wears, the link wears with it, presumably at the same (or similar) rate as the rest of the chain. Reusing the same link on the same chain, however...sure. I would call it a "matched set." But I wouldn't be keen to make/break the link gratuitiously. When they snap together/apart easily...say after 4 or 5 uses, I consider, but don't necessarily buy, a new link. The chain is usually worn enough by that time to replace the whole kit & kaboodle by soon anyhow.
this is all valid info and advice, but as a someone who removes his chain pretty regularly to clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner, the rate at which I remove my chain far exceeds the rate at which it wears, so a proper use and re-use quicklink is extremely practical and helpful. This is why I recommend a Connex link. Generally though, if you’re concenrned with being able to reuse a quick link, then you’re probably removing your chain more regularly than most others. It stands to reason you’d want a properly reusable link. If none of those apply, I still recommend the Connex link if for nothing else than it can be installed and removed easily without tools. That’s a big bonus if you ever find yourself having to do any maintenence or repairs unexpectedly on the side of the road.
Old 09-17-18, 10:06 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by Ald1
Thanks! Nice tips
no problem, mate. If you do get a Connex link, it’s important to remember that the link is directional and can be a bit confusing the first time, and can cause skipping teeth issues if you get it wrong. None the less, it’s a great product and I’ve mixed Connex links with chains from every major brand without issue. Of course, remember to get the link that matches your chain ie: 10spd to 10spd, 11 to 11. You get the idea.
Old 09-17-18, 03:00 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use the same set of quick links for the life of the chain as well. New chain new quick links. Lots of miles never had one issue. Ride on and don’t worry about it.
Old 01-16-21, 01:55 AM
John_E

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of questions,

Since I have switched to waxing I had to re use missing links quite a few times.

For my 11 speeds the kmc/sram links that came with them are non-reusable. I still re use them making sure that they click on tight and I can not open them by hand. I always use a kmc quick link removal tool while making sure that the chain is straight while removing them. I will stop using the link if it can be opened or closed by hand however so far they are going strong. Is there any problem with reusing these links other than they can open in the middle of a ride ?

10 speed kmc chains come with a reusable link, even the cheap ones. I haven't seen any difference with the non-reusable ones. The prices of these links still how come an expensive 11 speed chain comeing with a non-reusable link while these cheap ones come with one ?

The prices of these links are usually expensive. Even the cheap KMC quick links are $6-10 a piece. The so called re-usable Connex link is on another level, the 11 speed ones are $25-30 a piece while you can get one included in a $50 chain of theirs. I can try one of these links for $10 but for more than $25 I don't know. Also I don't know if they are really safe since even the non-reusables I have still hold. The 10speed and less versions are far cheaper, so why is the 11 speed connex link so expensive ?

I want to be safe but if they can be reused safely I'd rather not waste too much money on these.
Old 01-16-21, 03:04 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by John_E
Is there any problem with reusing these links other than they can open in the middle of a ride ?
That is precisely the problem, that they can open when you least expect it. I suppose it can throw you off bike and or possibly lead to some damage.

I thought even QLs marked as re-usable are usable maybe 5 or 10 times but more likely it is as said above, until they are too easy to undo. Or maybe the test of usability should be when they stop making a click when put together?
Old 01-16-21, 03:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
just go the whole hog and use Connex chains, they're great, even the low end ones
Old 01-16-21, 04:09 AM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
That is precisely the problem, that they can open when you least expect it. I suppose it can throw you off bike and or possibly lead to some damage.

I thought even QLs marked as re-usable are usable maybe 5 or 10 times but more likely it is as said above, until they are too easy to undo. Or maybe the test of usability should be when they stop making a click when put together?
That is my test too, I make sure that they can not be easily undone and when putting them together it has to have some resistance and make a click(I am also carrying spare ql's just in case). BTW I installed a new 10 speed reusable link, it made less sound than the used non-reusable 11 speed one when I was putting it back on the 3-4th time.

Another thing is the chain is always under tension won't it make it harder to undo by itself?
Old 01-16-21, 07:43 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else is saying - 1 link for the life of the chain; regardless of how many times the chain is removed,

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-16-21, 08:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Yea, Ok. I know all the missing link directions are quite clear that you should only use them once. Why? How many folks reuse them and what is the thinking behind this or consequences? Seems this could get quite $$$ for those of us that like to remove our chains often for cleaning.
I have reused my quick links many times on both my bike and trike, when I take the chain off to clean it and the drive train.

The only time I throw them away is when I put a new chain on.

I guess my question would be------------since they are always under tension, and never come loose why would you?
Old 01-16-21, 08:30 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Connex links are great, but no 12 speed model actually seen for sale, despite website info dating back at least 18 months. The problem is there are already many different versions of 12 speed chains and a link that fits an eagle chain will be too loose for the narrowest axs chain. An eagle link works well with a Campy 12 chain. I've reused axs links many times. Just be sure there's some snap left in it, when rejoined.
Old 01-16-21, 09:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
A couple of questions,

Since I have switched to waxing I had to re use missing links quite a few times.

For my 11 speeds the kmc/sram links that came with them are non-reusable. I still re use them making sure that they click on tight and I can not open them by hand. I always use a kmc quick link removal tool while making sure that the chain is straight while removing them. I will stop using the link if it can be opened or closed by hand however so far they are going strong. Is there any problem with reusing these links other than they can open in the middle of a ride ?

10 speed kmc chains come with a reusable link, even the cheap ones. I haven't seen any difference with the non-reusable ones. The prices of these links still how come an expensive 11 speed chain comeing with a non-reusable link while these cheap ones come with one ?

The prices of these links are usually expensive. Even the cheap KMC quick links are $6-10 a piece. The so called re-usable Connex link is on another level, the 11 speed ones are $25-30 a piece while you can get one included in a $50 chain of theirs. I can try one of these links for $10 but for more than $25 I don't know. Also I don't know if they are really safe since even the non-reusables I have still hold. The 10speed and less versions are far cheaper, so why is the 11 speed connex link so expensive ?

I want to be safe but if they can be reused safely I'd rather not waste too much money on these.
A few thoughts/questions:
1. Are you sure that the ML that came with your 11s chains is not the reusable version? If so, that strikes me as pretty *****ty of SRAM to cheap out on speccing the $1 cheaper (?) non reusable version to package with their chains.

2. A trip to KMC's own storefront site, interestingly no longer even shows an Non reusable version for either 10 or 11 speed missing links (except for their $20 "DLC" 11speed option which strikes me as a waste of money).
https://store.kmcchain.us/c/connecting-link_missinglink

3. Not sure when the price spiked on the KMCs. Used to be from memory that a 6-pack of 11s reusable Missing Links I think was $18-20 (~$3 per link)
Try these as an alternative (reusable up to 5 times): https://moltenspeedwax.com/products/...er-link-qrs-11
Old 01-16-21, 09:44 PM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A few thoughts/questions:
1. Are you sure that the ML that came with your 11s chains is not the reusable version? If so, that strikes me as pretty *****ty of SRAM to cheap out on speccing the $1 cheaper (?) non reusable version to package with their chains.

2. A trip to KMC's own storefront site, interestingly no longer even shows an Non reusable version for either 10 or 11 speed missing links (except for their $20 "DLC" 11speed option which strikes me as a waste of money).
https://store.kmcchain.us/c/connecting-link_missinglink

3. Not sure when the price spiked on the KMCs. Used to be from memory that a 6-pack of 11s reusable Missing Links I think was $18-20 (~$3 per link)
Try these as an alternative (reusable up to 5 times): https://moltenspeedwax.com/products/...er-link-qrs-11

Good questions,

1) I believe Sram's all 11 speed qls are non-reusable. My KMC 11 speeds also came with non-reusable ones which is ...tty as you say. The non-reusable KMC links have a notch. Well on the other hand I have been reusing them while being careful and putting extra wax on them and they seem to be tight and require force to do/undo. KMC 10 speed chains all came with reusable links and they don't even state number of times they can be reused.

2) I got my 11 speed 2 pack from Amazon but it is still $15-16 for two. I haven't used them yet since the ql's came with the chains still lock in place tightly. But yes they are expensive.

3) Those you mentioned are priced reasonably. I don't know how they compare to KMC or Sram's own.

Still if it is safe I really would like to use the ql's that came with the chain themselves until they are no longer tight or the end of the chains life.
Old 01-16-21, 09:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Good questions,

1) I believe Sram's all 11 speed qls are non-reusable. My KMC 11 speeds also came with non-reusable ones which is ...tty as you say. The non-reusable KMC links have a notch. Well on the other hand I have been reusing them while being careful and putting extra wax on them and they seem to be tight and require force to do/undo. KMC 10 speed chains all came with reusable links and they don't even state number of times they can be reused.

2) I got my 11 speed 2 pack from Amazon but it is still $15-16 for two. I haven't used them yet since the ql's came with the chains still lock in place tightly. But yes they are expensive.

3) Those you mentioned are priced reasonably. I don't know how they compare to KMC or Sram's own.

Still if it is safe I really would like to use the ql's that came with the chain themselves until they are no longer tight or the end of the chains life.
Thought I'd dig thru my old Amzn orders.. Who says there's no inflation.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.