Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta tube in a Schrader rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-21, 03:29 PM
larryforgy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have an older bike that I have replaced the wheels with two used ones. Wheels have the same tires, but one tube has a Presta valve and one has a Schrader valve. I wanted to replace the Schrader tube with a presta tube, but one guy told me that because the hole in the rim is larger, I needed a little nipple-like insert to make the hole smaller, or it might damage the tube.

I can't find such an insert on-line, and the proprietor of my local bike shop has not heard of this. So, can I just replace the tube with a presta tube, or is there something I need to do to the rim.

Thanks,
Larry Forgy
Old 07-27-21, 03:35 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I've put Presta valves in rims drilled for a Schrader valve several times and never had a problem. I do recommend using the little locknut that comes with most Presta tubes to help hold the valve tight to the rim and seal the opening.
Likes For nathand:
Old 07-27-21, 03:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
This

Disappointing your shop wouldn't know of these.
Old 07-27-21, 04:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
New tube with the correct valve stem won't cost you much more if any than the adapters. You might can make your own. But unless you need to be innovative to feel good, just toss the tube and get another.

Or is it that one wheel will be different than the other? Hmm, yeah, in that case I'd buy the adapter too or engineer my own grommet or something. I might be tempted to drill the other rim and use all schrader.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-27-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 04:14 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I've put Presta valves in rims drilled for a Schrader valve several times and never had a problem. I do recommend using the little locknut that comes with most Presta tubes to help hold the valve tight to the rim and seal the opening.
Same here though I use two locknuts for added support.
Likes For runner pat:
Old 07-27-21, 04:20 PM
larryforgy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This

Disappointing your shop wouldn't know of these.
Thanks! Don't know how I missed this. If you type just "presta valve adapter" into Amazon, you just get shown the pieces to screw into presta valves so you can use a schrader pump.
Larry
Likes For larryforgy:
Old 07-27-21, 04:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
BITD I heard of people using washers that fit nicely over the valve stem. A quality washer with rounded edges on one side; that nice side toward the innertube should do the job well. (And shouldn't cost more than about 10 cents at say Ace Hardware. I'd bring the tube and look at both English and metric and buy the best fit You might need to bend the washer a little to fit the rim and perhaps file two flats if the washer is wider than the channel. You don't want gaps or sharp edges.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-27-21, 04:37 PM
larryforgy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
BITD I heard of people using washers that fit nicely over the valve stem. A quality washer with rounded edges on one side; that nice side toward the innertube should do the job well. (And shouldn't cost more than about 10 cents at say Ace Hardware. I'd bring the tube and look at both English and metric and buy the best fit You might need to bend the washer a little to fit the rim and perhaps file two flats if the washer is wider than the channel. You don't want gaps or sharp edges.
Perfect! I probably already have one in my jar of stainless fasteners. Definitely wife approved.
Larry
Old 07-27-21, 04:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by larryforgy
Thanks! Don't know how I missed this. If you type just "presta valve adapter" into Amazon, you just get shown the pieces to screw into presta valves so you can use a schrader pump.
Larry
If you search for “Presta adapter nuts”, you’ll find these. They are a bit simpler than the inserted adapters. Both work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-27-21, 04:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
^^^Those look very much like the nuts that come on Conti tubes.
Old 07-27-21, 04:58 PM
cajunpedaler

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Continental presta tubes have nice little washers that facilitate this.
They have a little rim where they seat nicely in a schrader hole.
Likes For cajunpedaler:
Old 07-27-21, 05:01 PM
cajunpedaler

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Continental presta tubes have nice little washers that facilitate this.
They have a little rim where they seat nicely in a schrader hole.
Likes For cajunpedaler:
Old 07-27-21, 05:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
a brass grommet inside the rim through the schrader hole could work, too. hmmm...(off to the shed to find grommets)
Old 07-27-21, 06:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by larryforgy
I can't find such an insert on-line, and the proprietor of my local bike shop has not heard of this. So, can I just replace the tube with a presta tube, or is there something I need to do to the rim.
I hope you can find a better bike shop. Adapters to sleeve a Schrader rim hole down to fit a presta valve are made in several configurations including the Wheels Manufacturing shown in the Amazon listing, rubber grommets to reduce the diameter, valve nuts with a ridge to center them in the rim hole, etc. Any worthwhile bike shop should have one or more of these and certainly should know what they are.

Buy the adapters and use Presta tubes in both wheels. It greatly simplifies tube inventory, pump heads, etc.
Old 07-27-21, 06:35 PM
larryforgy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I hope you can find a better bike shop. Adapters to sleeve a Schrader rim hole down to fit a presta valve are made in several configurations including the Wheels Manufacturing shown in the Amazon listing, rubber grommets to reduce the diameter, valve nuts with a ridge to center them in the rim hole, etc. Any worthwhile bike shop should have one or more of these and certainly should know what they are.

Buy the adapters and use Presta tubes in both wheels. It greatly simplifies tube inventory, pump heads, etc.
To be fair, I assumed it was the proprietor. He was the only guy in the shop, and was of course working on a bike. He first showed me one of those presta to schrader fittings you screw onto the end of a presta valve. When I explained that I wanted a fitting for the rim to go schrader to presta, he looked a little confused, consulted his computer, and told me that his suppliers don't have anything like that. He was nice enough, but I think he wanted to get back to his bike repair.
Old 07-27-21, 07:14 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Bike shops are so busy with repairs that they have little time for small issues sadly.

This is due to no inventory so everyone is "dusting off" their bikes and getting them rideable.

Some bike shops are 3 WEEKS out on repairs!!!!

It's a crazy time for sure.

Glad you were able to resolve with the " wealth " of knowledge by this awesome site and its members
Old 07-27-21, 07:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Schraeder to presta adopters (so you can use a presta pump to inflate schraeder valved tubes) - we used to make them but I cannot for the life of me remember how. (1977. The shop I worked at was a regular early evening stop for a guy named Sheldon Brown: friend of our equally odd mechanic.) My TBI was that fall. I just now remembered that the two of them used to make those adapters. I did too and I made some. Just now remembered I think we used the common presta to Schraeder screw on adapter and an innertube presta valve. Did we use the fully threaded valves and simply screw the adopter onto the innertube end? If that worked, easy, small and light! Going to have to go through my old tubes and find a good candidate.

Oh, the universal name for those adopters in that part of the mid-'70s Boston bike world was the very PinC "damsel in distress" valve or adopter. We carried them to be able to assist women (who in that era were almost all on Schraeder) with flat tires.
Old 07-27-21, 08:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^Those look very much like the nuts that come on Conti tubes.
They come with various tubes but not with all tubes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-27-21, 09:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
It'll almost certainly be fine without any adapters - especially if you're careful with removing the pump.

Old 07-28-21, 02:14 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you search for “Presta adapter nuts”, you’ll find these. They are a bit simpler than the inserted adapters. Both work.

Yep, we salvage the nuts from damaged Presta valve type tubes for this reason, got a small drawer full of them

Last edited by JoeTBM; 07-28-21 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 03:59 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
It'll almost certainly be fine without any adapters - especially if you're careful with removing the pump.
It almost certainly is an unnecessary risk. An adapter nut, linked above, is the safest answer, and the only way I'd ever recommend anyone attempt to use a Presta valve in a Schrader hole..
Old 07-28-21, 11:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
It almost certainly is an unnecessary risk. An adapter nut, linked above, is the safest answer, and the only way I'd ever recommend anyone attempt to use a Presta valve in a Schrader hole..
Six years I rode my commuter bike with presta valves in Shrader holes just like that photo. Never once had a valve stem issue. Those little nuts are fine - they're just not as necessary as you think.
Old 07-28-21, 11:35 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Maybe you can make it seven...I won't even try for one day. To each their own.

They aren't necessary when the Presta valve is poking though a Presta sized hole...back when I used tubes, I never used nuts...but I was pushing the valve through the holes they were deigned to fit through. The same is not true for Presta valves in a Schrader hole. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying there is some risk involved, more than I am willing to accept and more than I am willing to recommend anyone accept when the solution to remove that risk is readily available for pennies.
Old 07-28-21, 11:40 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I've used rubber grommets from a real hardware store before, prob cost 32 cents each. I reamed my mtb rims for schrader tubes just in case, but used presta tubes with a grommet.
Old 07-28-21, 11:45 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I also heard of cutting the top off of a presta valve stem cover and flipping the cap upside down, screwing it all the way down it will fill the hole in the rim and prevent rattling of the stem in the hole.
Likes For Ryno317:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.