Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

R7000 cassettes compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 08:41 AM
cheesesandwich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I have a 11-34t on my older HED Ardennes. Recently I got a custom built wheel with DT350 hub. For this I bought a 11-32t as it is enough for my local road use. When I put the new wheel on my bike I noticed the shifting isn't as nice and the rd stays on the 2nd cog and won't go to the smallest cog even thought the shifter was pushed all the way, going to the biggest cog it is ok without going out of the limit. I switched the older 34t to the dt350 and was able to shift nicely while the newer 32t to HED has the problem .Now obviously the problem is with the cassette.

11-34t is designed is a way that it can fit on a 10-speed freehub body and requires extra spacing for a 11-speed one. This I have done when fit on both hubs. While the 11-32t is purely for 11-speed. I believe I have done them up all properly. It seems the 32t is not working well with my bike that was set up for the 34t.

I can do a few things: 1) Sell the 32t and get 34t to standardize (the easiest) 2) Get a few different thickness spacers to play around with the 34t while the bike tuned for 32t this time. ( this is a hassle and might not even work) 3) Leave it as it is as I plan to use the HED for short commuting as I don't use the shifting fully. I don't understand why they can't work properly together. Anyone knows and perhaps can help? Both are R7000 cassettes,

Last edited by cheesesandwich; 03-15-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 08:48 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Did you try to adjust the rear derailleur's high limit screw? If it's too tight for the 11-32 cassette, that's your problem. The two cassettes apparently don't "sit" in the exact same place on the freehub body.
Old 03-15-20, 09:08 AM
cheesesandwich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've tried that and adjusted the cable barrel. Strangely it still did not go to the smallest cog. I guess I need to loosen up everything and do it properly. But there could be a problem that if I do it for the 32t then when using the 34t, the chain could go out of limit over the smallest cog. IF what you said is true that both don't sit correctly. Currently I am on option 3, in that case I might just as well sell the 32t as it's quite new with just 1 ride.
Old 03-15-20, 09:50 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You should expect to have to adjust the limits and indexing slightly when you swap wheels.