Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Olympics

Old 08-05-21, 06:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Also loving the under saddle (I'm guessing) camera views for the rider behind. Those pain faces for pursuit are something special versus a longer TT, man those must hurt. Especially in the medal round races.
Me too. Seeing that action up close like that is fantastic. The Keirin rounds are even more entertaining from that angle.

Because of the schedule, and the lackluster cycling coverage we get in the US, we've been recording the races and watching them later. Sometimes the schedule changes though, which is annoying. For example, women's keirin was supposed to be on a 6 am this morning, and I scheduled it to record. They changed it to baseball and moved keirin to 10 - which was not scheduled to record. I got up early to watch it. Anyway, one nice thing about recording is that I can rewind and watch the races in slow motion, which is pretty cool.
Old 08-05-21, 03:46 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
[QUOTE=Because of the schedule, and the lackluster cycling coverage we get in the US, we've been recording the races and watching them later. Sometimes the schedule changes though, which is annoying. For example, women's keirin was supposed to be on a 6 am this morning, and I scheduled it to record. They changed it to baseball and moved keirin to 10 - which was not scheduled to record. I got up early to watch it. Anyway, one nice thing about recording is that I can rewind and watch the races in slow motion, which is pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

If you all can get it using a VPN, I highly recommend the link I posted above. So far every heat of every race has been covered live on NHK.
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 08-05-21, 04:33 PM
brian44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else wish there was event held with standardized equipment? So...a Japanese Keirin...but for the madison for example? I feel so out of touch with the tech sometimes and it would be super interesting to see how results would change with equipment standardization.
Likes For brian44:
Old 08-05-21, 04:58 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
No way! In fact I'd go the opposite. It would be great to see the UCI loosen the reigns a bit and make the Olympics kind of like the F1 of cycling.

But fast is fast, so in standardising equipment, I don't think that positions would change much
Likes For brawlo:
Old 08-06-21, 12:51 PM
bicievino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
No way! In fact I'd go the opposite. It would be great to see the UCI loosen the reigns a bit and make the Olympics kind of like the F1 of cycling.

But fast is fast, so in standardising equipment, I don't think that positions would change much
I echo this.
I think the current homologation and commercial availability requirements are a good balance of fairness and innovation.
Folks see, for instance, the Velobike NZ "horny bars", and everyone has a shot at using them instead of just the NZ team. But the technology of the sport still advances instead of being cast in amber.
Old 08-06-21, 06:41 PM
brian44

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bicievino
I echo this.
I think the current homologation and commercial availability requirements are a good balance of fairness and innovation.
Folks see, for instance, the Velobike NZ "horny bars", and everyone has a shot at using them instead of just the NZ team. But the technology of the sport still advances instead of being cast in amber.
As I stated in my original post...standardizing ONE event rather than everything might be interesting. With races being won my a few tenths of a second, this may expose the "marginal gains" that wealthier teams/countries have the advantage of. I think in actuality having one standardized event (as well as depending on the theoretical event) will result in similar standings with larger margins of victory. As a consumer and amateur, these "innovations" further distance similar populations from the top tiers of the sport even though the equipment, in theory, is available for purchase.
Old 08-08-21, 07:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Whelp, as a great racer once told me, "When in doubt, lead it out!":
Old 08-08-21, 07:42 PM
carleton
Elitist

Valente gets her wheel swiped from under her in the Points Race, goes down, gets back up and finishes strong to win the Omnium. Amazingly close to it being a tragic loss after coming into the race leading in standings.

Old 08-08-21, 07:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Lots of shenanigans from both Hoogland and Lavreysen, but Lavreysen simply has more horsepower:

Old 08-09-21, 05:24 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Oz commentary said he had stomach pains after the TS. Hopefully he is back on deck for the keirin
He seemed out of it this whole Olympics. I hope he is alright... It seems like everyone from Malaysia is attacking him on social media.
Old 08-09-21, 05:43 PM
brawlo

Well he beat thyroid cancer and then after coming back from that, he had a massive calf tear at the start of last year. I think he did well to be even at the Olympics let alone making it to the keirin final.

Malaysia might be attacking him, but Awang made a choice and it didn't work. I think perhaps everyone might have been expecting Glaetzer to run much harder and so sat in rather than going around him. He put in a charge but it wasn't enough and I think you can see from the rest of the race that he just didn't have the gas to chase Kenny down and everyone else should have jumped much earlier than they did. He's still quite fast, but not as fast as he used to be ATM, but after all he's been through he's still up there with the best.
Old 08-14-21, 07:57 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tri-spoke is by Hope and not zipp, it's the same one GB have used since Rio it's just properly available now. I think at least one other non Aus/GB team used it
Old 08-14-21, 11:05 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej
Tri-spoke is by Hope and not zipp, it's the same one GB have used since Rio it's just properly available now. I think at least one other non Aus/GB team used it
So I guess there was nothing new from Zipp after all for the Olympics.
Old 08-14-21, 11:07 PM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
So I guess there was nothing new from Zipp after all for the Olympics.
Yeah just the discs
Old 08-16-21, 11:19 AM
2500W

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Nicholas Paul rode 9.500 s in Keirin Quarterfinals. However, he was disqualified in semifinals after passing through Cote d'Azur,
Kenny 9.569 in a Repechage.
Probably a dozen others were able to ride 9.6 s either in keirin or matchsprint.

Last edited by 2500W; 08-16-21 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 01:15 PM
m@tty

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej
it’s not the same wheel! Similar but not the same! Look at where the spokes meet the hub different shape.

Old 08-18-21, 11:43 PM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
m@tty I'm indeed mistaken, it's by the same company that made the accessories for our BT's and are now doing the same for the Argon's. (not bastion, Adelaide based)
Old 08-19-21, 04:26 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Argon tri front wheels are made by FSA. Argon notes it on its website.
Old 08-21-21, 11:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Did that new Koga bike ever make it out of the prototype phase?

https://www.velobike.co.nz/blog/2019...o-track-review
Old 08-21-21, 11:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, I haven't studied the photos and videos too much, but I didn't notice any groundbreaking equipment that I thought people would be itching to get their hands on.
Old 08-22-21, 03:00 PM
brawlo

Originally Posted by carleton
Did that new Koga bike ever make it out of the prototype phase?

https://www.velobike.co.nz/blog/2019...o-track-review
Yes they did, the Dutchies were on them in Tokyo. I know a guy that has just taken delivery of one
Old 08-22-21, 07:03 PM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm pretty sure the Argon tri front wheels are made by FSA. Argon notes it on its website.
Funnily enough it's called the metron, but I doubt there's any further link. The vision/FSA trispokes (old and new) look nothing like it