Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek vs Canyon

Old 01-05-22, 05:53 AM
jans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek vs Canyon

Im looking for a new road bike, and I am also aware of the likely delays due to supply.

Just by doing research online I am comparing Trek Emonda SL6 eTap ( $4929.99) and Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8 eTap ($5599.99).

Anyone have experience with either one or input/ advice?
Old 01-05-22, 06:17 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Sorry, I have neither.
Besides, we're in a blizzard warning right now...and wind-chill warning.

So I am on my Lifecycle. Be glad to review it for you.

But I'd buy the one you can get from a local shop.
Old 01-05-22, 08:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jans

You might have missed the endless thread on the guy having warranty claim delays with Canyon. It made me think that I'd rather have a store bought bike where I know I can take it in if there's a warranty problem. Although I don't follow my own advice as my carbon road bike is a Chinese frame so cheap that I wouldn't bother going the warranty route, I would just purchase another.
Old 01-05-22, 08:50 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
The Canyon has better components making it a better value. (Force vs Rival)

For me, it would come down to whether I could ever forgive Trek for what they did to Greg Lemond vs Canyon's service.
Old 01-05-22, 10:09 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Trek screwed over Greg Lemond because they thought Lance was a hero.
Go with Canyon or anybody else.
You should consider more than just two bikes, is Cannondale an option?
Old 01-05-22, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Just be honest with yourself and assess what your experience and bike knowledge is. Especially about mechanical things. If you are less than great, then consider getting a bike that has an authorized shop and representative near you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-05-22, 12:02 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Would pick the Canyon, better gear and they make really good bikes.

Forget the whole servicing thing, every bike shop which is competent enough to work on a Trek Edmonda is equally competent to service a Canyon Ultimate.
Old 01-05-22, 01:38 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Would pick the Canyon, better gear and they make really good bikes.

Forget the whole servicing thing, every bike shop which is competent enough to work on a Trek Edmonda is equally competent to service a Canyon Ultimate.
^^^This.
Old 01-05-22, 02:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Trek screwed over Greg Lemond because they thought Lance was a hero.
Go with Canyon or anybody else.
You should consider more than just two bikes, is Cannondale an option?
Trek screwed over Greg Lemond because Lance was their cash cow - heroics had nothing to do with it - pure financial expedience
Old 01-05-22, 02:20 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I was looking at Canyon and went with Trek because I liked the Domane features as well as a store within driving distance had my color/size in stock. I also wanted a threaded BB.

Lemond was my personal hero when I was in high school but that hasn't driven me away from Trek. Tom Cruise sounds like a lunatic but the man makes a decent film....scientology wackiness doesn't stop me from watching.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 01-05-22, 02:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Can we please leave the Trek/Lance/Lemond stuff out of this? It’s ancient history and a sure way to get the thread locked. Guaranteed.

Old 01-05-22, 02:41 PM
OBoile

Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I have nothing substantive to add, but if it were me, I'd go with the Canyon. A Trek just doesn't seem like a "cool" bike to own. I'm sure they (along with every major manufacturer) are just fine, but I've never really had the desire to own one.
Old 01-05-22, 02:49 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I have nothing substantive to add, but if it were me, I'd go with the Canyon. A Trek just doesn't seem like a "cool" bike to own. I'm sure they (along with every major manufacturer) are just fine, but I've never really had the desire to own one.
My Trek is too cool for school as long as I am on it !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 01-05-22, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Both bikes have the fugliest rear derailluer known to road bikes, so thats a wash.

Canyon is simply just a cooler company, even when they make some frustratingly odd decisions for design/spec.
With that said, if I only had the 2 bikes you mention to choose from, I would pick the Trek. The cockpit is not integrated on the Trek and I appreciate the ability to easily and economically change the stem length, stem angle, and the bars.
I have 0 interest in an integrated cockpit.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-05-22, 03:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Can we please leave the Trek/Lance/Lemond stuff out of this? It’s ancient history and a sure way to get the thread locked. Guaranteed.
Definitive answer provided. No more Trek talk means Canyon ftw
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-05-22, 05:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If my choice was only those two and I had no other options for some really strange reason that doesn't make sense in this context but I will play along for the viewers at home... I would go Trek, they are a well known quantity with shops so you can test ride a bike (under non-covid related stock issues) but more importantly have warranty support through their dealers rather than Canyon and other online brands doing the "you do it all yourself and we didn't say good luck" and you really have no support in your corner.

I mean the Trek in this instance is cheaper and has a threaded BB (which makes it a win in my book, threaded will always win out). Rival vs Force not really that big a deal to me because I am not a SRAM fan but you will be served fine on either. The only reason Canyon would win out very minorly is that their logo is slightly smaller but that is about it. If I were looking at carbon I would get a Specialized Aethos Expert. It has Di2, is cheaper than the Canyon and probably lighter than both and the logo is very small and not even in the normal spot on the downtube. Plus I think it looks the best as it looks more like a normal bike and is made for normal folks not those who race so it can be featherlite.

However if it was me I would probably go with like a Lynskey or similar decent quality lower cost titanium frame but I really love titanium.
Old 01-06-22, 05:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You might have missed the endless thread on the guy having warranty claim delays with Canyon. It made me think that I'd rather have a store bought bike where I know I can take it in if there's a warranty problem. Although I don't follow my own advice as my carbon road bike is a Chinese frame so cheap that I wouldn't bother going the warranty route, I would just purchase another.
If you are going to go off forum woes then you would never buy any bike! I'm sure if I searched I could find a thread or two concerning Trek warranty issues.
Old 01-06-22, 05:53 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jans
Im looking for a new road bike, and I am also aware of the likely delays due to supply.

Just by doing research online I am comparing Trek Emonda SL6 eTap ( $4929.99) and Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8 eTap ($5599.99).

Any reason why you need to have the SLX frame? The SL is a lot better value and less than 200g heavier.
Old 01-06-22, 07:13 AM
GhostRider62

The Canyon is 1.5 pounds lighter. Trek;s hidden cables and headset look like a nightmare waiting in the shadows. The Canyon 73.5 seat tube angle would not work for me (Trek's 72.5 would). I suspect OP needs the fitting advice of a good shop and the maintenance services they offer, neither which are all the easy to obtain on a Canyon. If my guess on that is correct, shop for a good bike shop first and the bike second.
Old 01-06-22, 07:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Shimano....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-06-22, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just be honest with yourself and assess what your experience and bike knowledge is. Especially about mechanical things. If you are less than great, then consider getting a bike that has an authorized shop and representative near you.
Good idea. You might even get the dealer to make sure the bike fits you before you roll out the door!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-06-22, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Good idea. You might even get the dealer to make sure the bike fits you before you roll out the door!
But if that were to happen we might have one less "Did I Buy the Wrong Size Bike?" thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-06-22, 08:48 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by indyfabz
But if that were to happen we might have one less "Did I Buy the Wrong Size Bike?" thread.
Or how many more of these posts....."work on your core....stretch...yoga...acupuncture.....ride with gloves, ride with no gloves...."
Old 01-06-22, 08:47 PM
jans

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks all. Nothing is really available so it doesn't matter for now. And it doesn't have to be a choice between only these 2 bikes. I am open to other bikes as well. There are so many to compare. I am coming from riding on a TT frame the past 8-10 years. But since I am not racing triathlons anymore, time to switch back to a road bike .
Old 01-07-22, 11:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Definitely not guaranteed that a dealer will sell you the correct size. What you can do instead if you are unsure of your fit is get an independent pro bike fit without a bike and then choose a frame based on the results. Most decent bike fitters would recommend that approach anyway. A dealer will be more interested in rolling you out on whatever size bike they happen to have in stock, whether it fits properly or not. Some are better than others obviously.

With Canyon you get 30 days to decide whether or not you bought the wrong size.
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.