Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need a tail light that uses regular batteries

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-09-22, 04:20 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

My cheapo Planet Bike rear light jumped off the bike today and was crushed by our follow car. I need a new tail light that uses AAA batteries because none of the new lithium USB tail lights can be shipped to me. I can buy it through Amazon or eBay. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-09-22, 04:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I like my Cateye Reflex Auto. 2xAAA, large area for visibility, also meets reflector standards. Cateye offers mounts for seatpost, seatstay and rear rack.
Likes For tcs:
Old 01-09-22, 04:41 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Im looking also. Also need a super bright battery powered LED headlight. No reflectors though just the lights.
Old 01-09-22, 04:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Originally Posted by BikePower
Also need a super bright battery powered LED headlight.
'Battery', like AA or AAA?

The gold standard was the now discontinued B&M Ixon IQ, 4xAA. A few are still available here and there; get 'em before they're gone.
Still available is the less impressive but okay Cateye GVolt25C, 3xAAA.

There's the Fenix BC30 V2.0, 2x 18650 or 4x CR123A. You can practically arc weld with one of those.

Last edited by tcs; 01-09-22 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 06:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have had very good luck with Planet Bike Superflash and Planet Bike Superflash 65 taillights, for me they do not jump out of the holder.

I use rechargeable AAA batteries, NiMH. Eneloop batteries are good and Amazon carries them, but you also need a recharger.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-09-22, 06:20 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by tcs

The gold standard was the now discontinued B&M Ixon IQ, 4xAA. A few are still available here and there; get 'em before they're gone.

There's the Fenix BC30 V2.0, 2x 18650 or 4x CR123A. You can practically arc weld with one of those.
I wonder why they discontinued it? I see that more and more. Its like management catches wind that they are making an excellent product and they put a stop to it.
Old 01-09-22, 06:21 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by tcs

Is this it?
Amazon.com : Busch & Müller Headlight Lumotec IQ-X Black, 164RTSNDI-01 : Sports & Outdoors

or this one
Busch&Muller Ixon IQ Premium Front Light Black, Bikeinn
Old 01-09-22, 07:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
I recently went through a search of battery powered tail lights and it looks like the "Cat Eye Omni3" is as good as you can get using two AAA batteries. I use rechargeable batteries and keep a fresh set of Alkalines in my tool pouch.
Old 01-09-22, 07:56 PM
pennpaul

Thanks everyone. Found the Omni 3 for a good price on eBay. Bought 2
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 01-09-22, 08:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
glad you found something, when my PBs die I might be replacing them, even tho I've found them durable. I've still got 3 so it may be a while. but I do use an elastic to keep them from hopping their mount. been there/done that, no fun

Old 01-09-22, 08:49 PM
tcs
Palmer

Yep. German beam shape; puts light were you need it ON THE ROAD. For off-road, not so much.
Old 01-09-22, 08:55 PM
tcs
Palmer

I wonder why they discontinued it?
The age of the AA/AAA light is over, the time of the USB rechargeable has come, Gandalf.
Old 01-09-22, 09:10 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
The cateye rapid 3 is a good option if you can find it too. Single AA.
Old 01-09-22, 09:18 PM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
glad you found something, when my PBs die I might be replacing them, even tho I've found them durable. I've still got 3 so it may be a while. but I do use an elastic to keep them from hopping their mount. been there/done that, no fun
I used to do that, too, because the red plastic cover would pop off the base but the base never actually came off the mount. I moved the light to my road bike last night and wrapped the perimeter of the cover and the base with electrical tape. However, the rubber band didn't make it. Mistake.
Old 01-10-22, 04:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I used to do that, too, because the red plastic cover would pop off the base but the base never actually came off the mount. I moved the light to my road bike last night and wrapped the perimeter of the cover and the base with electrical tape. However, the rubber band didn't make it. Mistake.
oh interesting. never had the two halves separate on their own. always need a coin to open them. they just used to hop off the mount. either I heard it hit the ground behind me or I didn't. when I didn't hat was sad ... I have to use special elastics like o-rings or the rubber bands that they use for vegetable bags at the grocery stores. little green ones
Old 01-10-22, 05:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I do not have trouble with the two halves of a Planet Bike light coming apart either. They are made with good tolerances, but I can see were after swapping batteries hundreds of times, they might get worn and loose.

I had some cheap copies of planet bike superflash lights, on those I had corroding parts from getting wet in rain and one of those came apart and half was lost. But those were cheap copies.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by tcs
The age of the AA/AAA light is over, the time of the USB rechargeable has come, Gandalf.
When you see your light is dim, with AAA batteries you can swap them out for either new or re-charged ones and get back out on the road again. I recall once accidently leaving my taillight on and the batteries were shot when it was time to ride home from work in the dark. A quick trip into a Walgreens for some new (and over-priced because of the store) AAA batteries and I was safe to go home.

And my Planet Bike Superflash lights will last longer than most Li Ion batteries do, I hate throwing out good devices when the proprietary battery no longer works. Some of my taillights that are over ten years old still work just fine.

Bike touring usually have one taillight flashing all the time, I recharge my AAA taillight batteries weekly even if they are still bright to make sure they stay bright, have two on the back of my bike.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-10-22, 08:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Eneloop batteries
I used those when I was commuting. kept a charger at work & at home
Old 01-13-22, 02:51 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
My cheapo Planet Bike rear light jumped off the bike today
Bit of a side topic, but I had a rear light that did this once, I fixed it by superglueing it to it's mount.
Batteries could be removed without taking the light off the bike.
If you needed to get rid of the light you could still do it by just removing the entire mount.

I need a new tail light that uses AAA batteries because none of the new lithium USB tail lights can be shipped to me.
That's a bummer, I gave up on AA rear lights when I arrived home several times to find the battery had jostled itself out it's contacts and the light wasn't working.
Battery was still in the light but it was providing no power.
Builtin lithions don't do that so I switched.
Also since I keep my bike in the garage I just put the usb-charger next to the bike and hook it up after every time I'm done riding. Light is always charged, no more hassle of taking out and charging batteries.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 01-13-22, 04:20 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Two wraps of electrical tape around the TurboFlash mount eliminates the possibility of it jumping off. It is the best AAA replaceable light out there, still.
Old 01-13-22, 03:48 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
The cateye rapid 3 is a good option if you can find it too. Single AA.
I love my Rapid 3 lights! Plenty bright, runs a long time, just one battery to mess with. Plus, Cateye sells a ton of different mounting brackets, which are on all of my bikes, and you can buy the brackets from Cateye.
I'm sure they will wear out some day, or just get lost, but until then, I'm quite pleased.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-14-22, 01:25 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I use rechargeable AAA batteries, NiMH. Eneloop batteries are good and Amazon carries them, but you also need a recharger.
This does not pertain to the original issue, but rechargeable lithium AAA and AA are now available. Their capacity is lower than NiMH, given the internal circuitry that takes space. However, they provide stable 1.5V voltage and are far less vulnerable to low temp than NiMH. I switched to those for the bike and do not look back.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-17-22, 07:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by 2_i
This does not pertain to the original issue, but rechargeable lithium AAA and AA are now available. Their capacity is lower than NiMH, given the internal circuitry that takes space. However, they provide stable 1.5V voltage and are far less vulnerable to low temp than NiMH. I switched to those for the bike and do not look back.
Thanks for posting. I was unaware of such batteries. Did some internet searches and found that yes they are out there. Some on Amazon needed their own proprietary charger but one brand had what looked like a micro USB jack for charging each battery without a separate charger.

Since you are using these, do you find much warning before you run out of power? With disposable or NiMH AAA batteries in my taillight, it gets dim as a warning that the batteries are getting low. But if the Lithium ones provide full power until they shut off, I would be hesitant to use for a taillight where I might not be aware that I no longer had a light on.

Touring, I charge up my taillight batteries once a week, I do not wait for them to get dim. But for my many bikes that I use for riding around near home I do not keep track of how many hours of use I have on each taillight, I wait for them to get dimmer.

So, could you elaborate on whether or not there is any warning before the batteries stop functioning, and if so, what is that warning like?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-22, 08:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Thanks for posting. I was unaware of such batteries. Did some internet searches and found that yes they are out there. Some on Amazon needed their own proprietary charger but one brand had what looked like a micro USB jack for charging each battery without a separate charger.

Since you are using these, do you find much warning before you run out of power? With disposable or NiMH AAA batteries in my taillight, it gets dim as a warning that the batteries are getting low. But if the Lithium ones provide full power until they shut off, I would be hesitant to use for a taillight where I might not be aware that I no longer had a light on.

Touring, I charge up my taillight batteries once a week, I do not wait for them to get dim. But for my many bikes that I use for riding around near home I do not keep track of how many hours of use I have on each taillight, I wait for them to get dimmer.

So, could you elaborate on whether or not there is any warning before the batteries stop functioning, and if so, what is that warning like?

Thanks.
There is a bit of warning when you use them on motorized devices, such as a toothbrush. However, I doubt you can easily perceive the subtle decline on a taillight.

From the choices, there is one type, Pallus/Kratax/Hixon, that can be charged by connecting them to anything from 3V to 5.5V, i.e., they can be charged straight from USB. However, you do not have suitable connectors around for the task. I found those with USB micro sockets to be most practical, as you always have the corresponding cables around anyway. In AA size, the Vapcell seem to be the best in the on-line tests. In AAA, Powenergy have worked fine for me. The real capacity is usually 10-15% below that claimed for the different batteries in this type.
Old 01-18-22, 10:31 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
See private message I sent you for a possible way to have a rechargeable light that is sent without batteries. i would never again use a light that uses standard batteries.
Old 01-19-22, 09:58 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I have had very good luck with Planet Bike Superflash and Planet Bike Superflash 65 taillights, for me they do not jump out of the holder.

Note that while the 65 may have more lumens than the Superflash Turbo it's beam pattern is ring shaped and super wide meaning most of the light does not direct toward any person behind the cyclist. Side by side comparison the older Turbo is much more visible. I sent the 65 back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.