Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 12:21 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sergioflorez
has anybody here used or seen someone use a bmw gangsta in a track race?
yeah, but not like, for real. if it can double up as a cyclocross it probably ain't much of a track bike, you nkow?
Old 01-07-15, 12:44 PM
misterwaterfall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
yeah, but not like, for real. if it can double up as a cyclocross it probably ain't much of a track bike, you nkow?
Those don't look like good track shoes

Old 01-08-15, 08:57 PM
rvigeant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the thoughts on cleat position for an enduro trackie? Forward? mid foot? "standard" ?
Old 01-08-15, 09:24 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Boston will compete with other international cities to host the 2024 Olympics. So I assume either a permanent or temporary velodrome will be built. I can't find any plans yet.
Old 01-09-15, 02:44 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kind of a random questions, but are shoe covers legal for endurance events (USAC)? I was thinking about it and I don't think I saw anyone wearing them at any omniums last year.
Old 01-09-15, 04:39 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rvigeant
What are the thoughts on cleat position for an enduro trackie? Forward? mid foot? "standard" ?
There's a whole lot of personal preference and individual biomechanics and pedalling style that contribute to this. There are some very general guidelines out there. Its been discussed in this forum before, so if you can get the search function to work for you, you'll get a whole lot of comments and links in that
Old 01-09-15, 07:52 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
Kind of a random questions, but are shoe covers legal for endurance events (USAC)? I was thinking about it and I don't think I saw anyone wearing them at any omniums last year.
I remember seeing pursuiters with shoe covers at my Regional and District USAC Championships. I'm not sure if there any in mass start races.
Old 01-09-15, 09:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
Generally speaking, USA Cycling rules follow UCI rules which means that shoe covers are only allowed in outdoor events. There is only 1 indoor track in the USA.
Old 01-09-15, 01:11 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the rumblings have been that rule will change as well and only allow them in truly bad weather.

On the topic of aero skin vs fabric, in 100% seriousness, are there aero socks on the market? I've heard you can have up to halfway up the calf covered, which for me is like 10inches of exposure. Im thinking something like cotton/breathable on the sole, and thin, shoe cover like on the ankle.
Old 01-09-15, 01:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
And the rumblings have been that rule will change as well and only allow them in truly bad weather.

On the topic of aero skin vs fabric, in 100% seriousness, are there aero socks on the market? I've heard you can have up to halfway up the calf covered, which for me is like 10inches of exposure. Im thinking something like cotton/breathable on the sole, and thin, shoe cover like on the ankle.
That's a great question. I think there are opportunities there for sure. Here are the triathletes chatting about it:

Aero socks?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
Old 01-09-15, 09:33 PM
rvigeant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I did search before I posted, and in all the results, there is only one from the track racing section. I was hoping for a little more than "search the forums"
Old 01-09-15, 11:42 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rvigeant
So I did search before I posted, and in all the results, there is only one from the track racing section. I was hoping for a little more than "search the forums"
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
There's a whole lot of personal preference and individual biomechanics and pedalling style that contribute to this. There are some very general guidelines out there. Its been discussed in this forum before, so if you can get the search function to work for you, you'll get a whole lot of comments and links in that
RVI, I'll give you an answer that is befitting of the type of question you originally asked. Whatever works best for you. I know, I'm being an ass and I'll tell you why.

You asked a vague and open ended question in the "small, random track related questions" thread without giving us anything to go on, and you got a small, track related answer. The answer just about wraps up your question with the information that you gave us. In fact, it gave you more information to start doing proper research on the subject or asking how those factors affect cleat position. You then ***** about the answer after throwing us a ****ty question.

It's kind of like asking "what's the best geometry for a track bike?" or even "what's better, small medium or large?" and not telling us a thing about yourself. What sort of cleat position are you running? What is your experience level? Do you have any fit issues that need to be addressed or kept in mind? What sort of cleat positions have you tried and what was your experience with them? What are your strong suits as a rider?

Did you read any of the threads that the search came up with, or did you just give up after not finding a thread that exactly matched your question? If you read some of the threads on cleat position (and there are plenty out there, not all in the Track forum, some of them in the Bike Fitting forum), and the related linked articles in them, you might find your answers or come up with some questions that we can actually help you with.

If you show up expecting to get spoon-fed, all you'll get is a spoon.

Last edited by taras0000; 01-10-15 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-10-15, 01:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
If you show up expecting to get spoon-fed, all you'll get is a spoon.
+1

Specific questions get specific answers (or specific opinions).

General questions usually get ignored.

We aren't trying to be rude. That's just how good message boards work.

The signal/noise ratio is very good on this forum compared to many others and this is one reason why.
Old 01-10-15, 03:30 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the article i was referring to before, that i has been mentioned previously on this forum. Knock yourself out: POWER TO THE PEDAL ? CLEAT POSITION » Bike Fit » Feet » Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website
Old 01-10-15, 10:01 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cleat position has never really been a topic in my circles outside of comfort/knee pain. Ive gone in for a 'proper' fitting before and didnt like it and changed in back. I dont think there is power to be found in the way your seat height matters.
Old 01-10-15, 02:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
This is the article i was referring to before, that i has been mentioned previously on this forum. Knock yourself out: POWER TO THE PEDAL ? CLEAT POSITION » Bike Fit » Feet » Steve Hogg's Bike Fitting Website
Cleat position is an interesting topic. I read that article years ago.

To all:

The mid-foot cleat may not be a bad thing, especially when applying brute force. It is to be noted that the calves can be a "weak link" in the power chain. In other words, you can only put as much force into the pedal as you calves can sustain while holding your foot stiff. Being that the foot is now a lever, moving the cleat back lowers the load on the calves.

On the other hand, having the cleat further from the leg allows the feet to act as accelerators of the pedal in a whipping effect, finishing off a high-speed pedal stroke.

I don't really know what the right answer is. There is definitely no right answer for every riding style.

Regarding "Ball of the Foot over the Pedal Spindle":

- If you were crushing a stubborn walnut using a boot, would you use the ball of your foot, mid-foot, or heel?
- If you were running a 5K, would you strike the ground on the ball of your foot, mid-foot, or heel?
- If you were sprinting a 100M dash, would you strike the ground on the ball of your foot, mid-foot, or heel?

See how much it can vary?

What you gain in one area, you lose in another.

Cleat position has never really been a topic in my circles outside of comfort/knee pain. Ive gone in for a 'proper' fitting before and didnt like it and changed in back. I dont think there is power to be found in the way your seat height matters.
Same here.

I've also seen people be really particular about it, down to the millimeter. Then I've seen others not feel the difference...like I've heard of people riding 1 crank 165 and the other 170mm for a season and not notice!

People are weird...and highly adaptable.
Old 01-10-15, 05:16 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Generally speaking, USA Cycling rules follow UCI rules which means that shoe covers are only allowed in outdoor events. There is only 1 indoor track in the USA.
Thanks. Didn't know there was only 1 indoor track, I guess that's the one in LA. I also didn't realize there are only 26 in the US ( just looked it up ). I feel lucky to only be 40 minutes from one.

also the sock thing is really interesting and I'm going to snoop on slowtwitch to see if I can fine anything. Those guys wind tunnel test stuff like that.
Old 01-11-15, 01:51 AM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The slowtwitch consensus on shoe covers is the same as for aero helmets - that it depends. Sometimes slower sometimes faster. Depends on the shoe, fit and material. Helmets also depend a lot on the rider position.
Old 01-11-15, 07:07 PM
SBUndefeated201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have a standard purefix crankset that comes stock on the basic $200 dollar fixies. I want to upgrade mostly to drop weight (stiffness would be an excellent addition however). I am torn between a SRAM S100 courier crankset and the SRAM Omnium. I understand the Omniums are the track standard and are the main choice. I am a broke college kid is trying to be wise with what I get. Are the omniums that much better than the s100s? Or will I notice a significant difference by just upgrading from the standard alloy crankset to the S100s? I should also note that I am primarily a fixed road rider who rides the velodrome once in a while..not a serious trackie. (The FSA Vero crankset is being considered as well.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by SBUndefeated201; 01-11-15 at 07:48 PM. Reason: New info
Old 01-11-15, 08:05 PM
Oldan Slo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is upgrading a $200 fixie isn't going to be cost effective, especially for a casual track racer. The money could be better spent on food, gas, entry fees and spare parts.
Old 01-11-15, 08:12 PM
SBUndefeated201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldan Slo
My guess is upgrading a $200 fixie isn't going to be cost effective, especially for a casual track racer. The money could be better spent on food, gas, entry fees and spare parts.
I apologize. I should have clarified it is a carbon fork with 7005 track frame.
Old 01-12-15, 05:09 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What if you have an unknown medical issue where your feet are freezing in even the hottest weather, especially coinciding with timed events...

The UCI continues to stuff up cycling! Just discovered my TT bike needs to be modified again to meet the latest UCI directives!
Old 01-12-15, 07:18 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I apologize. I should have clarified it is a carbon fork with 7005 track frame.
Are you racing track? What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 01-12-15, 08:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I currently have a standard purefix crankset that comes stock on the basic $200 dollar fixies. I want to upgrade mostly to drop weight (stiffness would be an excellent addition however). I am torn between a SRAM S100 courier crankset and the SRAM Omnium. I understand the Omniums are the track standard and are the main choice. I am a broke college kid is trying to be wise with what I get. Are the omniums that much better than the s100s? Or will I notice a significant difference by just upgrading from the standard alloy crankset to the S100s? I should also note that I am primarily a fixed road rider who rides the velodrome once in a while..not a serious trackie. (The FSA Vero crankset is being considered as well.)

Thanks in advance for your input!
You won't experience any difference in cranks.

- If you are a broke college student, the worst thing you can do is buy track parts a-la-carte (piece by piece).
- Don't upgrade anything on that bike.
- Save your money and buy a used complete track racing bike.

If you don't find a bike that's your size, keep saving. Eventually you'll have enough to buy something like a Felt TK3 or Hoy Fiorenzuola.

Pro Tip: Spend money to solve particular problems. Don't just buy what you see others riding without knowing that it will solve a problem for you. A BT Stealth is probably heavier that your bike.

Last edited by carleton; 01-12-15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 12:57 PM
SBUndefeated201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to Wens and Carleton. I wasn't sure if piece by piece upgrades were beneficial (more expensive but less spending at one time) or if just buying a whole new bike was the better way to go. Thanks for the valuable advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.