Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titus? Frame ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Titus? Frame ID

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 05:55 AM
MarkusT 

Bikes: 2020 Giant Talon 2, 99 GT XCR 3000, 01 Titus Racer X, 80's PUCH Meteor MTB, 14' Crosstrail Elite, 92&93 Bridgestone OX-3, Marin Point Reyes (polished), 80's Mongoose Hilltopper, Giant Cypress SX, 96 Giant ATX 890, 94 Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Titus? Frame ID

Hi All, just picked up this "Titus" frame off of ebay, but am now sure it's not a Fireline but maybe 99 or 00 HCR frame? Someone put on aftermarket decals, I believe. I've not found any serial numbers anywhere. 73mm BB, which started on the HCR frames in 99. Not sure now if it's titanium or alum. Any help in trying to determine model/frame material would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 03-23-21, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Sure looks the dark silver of TI rather than light silver of Al and looks to have the harder surface of Ti with far fewer signs of use (scratches, rubs, etc.) than an Al frame as well as the typical beautiful weld beads we see on Ti. You could soak the RD hanger in salt water bath for a few hours, maybe over night, Al will react and Ti unaffected. I would not recommend screwing with that gorgeous frame but if you can find a place to use a file and get some shavings, if you put a torch to the shavings they will ignite and burn with a very bright light.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 03-23-21, 08:57 AM
MarkusT 

Bikes: 2020 Giant Talon 2, 99 GT XCR 3000, 01 Titus Racer X, 80's PUCH Meteor MTB, 14' Crosstrail Elite, 92&93 Bridgestone OX-3, Marin Point Reyes (polished), 80's Mongoose Hilltopper, Giant Cypress SX, 96 Giant ATX 890, 94 Stumpjumper FS

Wow, interesting easyupbug! Might be something I'll try later on. Thank you!
Old 03-23-21, 06:39 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
sure looks like Ti to me! And some nice looking welds, too!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-23-21, 10:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Yes, titanium. Titus was one of many builders that rode the titanium wave in the '90's and then went poof with the economy's challenges in the '00's. Here's the story of their dissolution:
The Story Behind Titus Bikes’ Demise - Bike Intelligencer

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 03-24-21, 08:54 AM
MarkusT 

Thanks Jeff. Guess I'll never know what model this is and I'm surprised there is no ser#! Things that make you go Hmmmm. :-)
My plan is to use 8 spd XT components and other parts I have around and remove the Fireline decal.

Thank you!