Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

brake blocks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

brake blocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 08:43 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
brake blocks

I'm working on a kid's bike that has painted rims and sidepull brakes. The sides of the rim aren't parallel, but taper in, so that the brake blocks have to be beveled to meet up to the rim. Does anybody sell these beveled brake blocks, or do I just need to get some regular square ones and file a bevel on them?
Old 03-27-22, 08:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
Only a couple of years ago some LBS suppliers did offer angled face brake pads, I just searched both QBP and JBI's sites for such pads and I no longer see them listed.

I suggest getting the thickest pad you can find and grinding down their faces to the angle you need. Filing would take longer but is also OK. Andy
Old 03-27-22, 09:58 AM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Having the same issue with an old 3 speed. Tapered rims with "square" brake shoes. Only the top edge makes contact. None of my LBSs carry them. They suggest the same thing. Don't think it's a big deal. I'll use my belt sander to get the angle. This particular bike won't be ridden very much so it's not that critical.
Old 03-27-22, 10:10 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably use a belt sander, too, but I might ought to get some extra ones, in case I screw them up.
Old 03-27-22, 12:08 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
If the brake doesn't already have a concave surface so you could use a convex washer, you could try using a combo of 1 convex and 1 concave washer to allow an angle.
Bike Brake Pad Adjusting Washers - 2 Pairs - 2 each Convex and Concave Washers 600192975386 | eBay

Last edited by freeranger; 03-27-22 at 12:44 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-28-22, 12:00 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I have used a grinder to get the angle to match the rime on a non adjustable shoe. Its quick and easy. Rubber can clog up a sanding belt, but if you have a disk/belt sander you can place the shoe on the table and do a better match.
Likes For speedy25:
Old 03-29-22, 11:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you sand the brake pads to shape, it wouldn't hurt to finish with a file so that you don't leave any grit from the sanding paper embedded in the pads.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-29-22, 01:57 PM
KenCarlson

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you sand the brake pads to shape, it wouldn't hurt to finish with a file so that you don't leave any grit from the sanding paper embedded in the pads.
I keep a file reserved only for brake pads in my bike toolbox separate from the rest of my tools, for just this reason. Don't want to unintentionally embed any metal filings from a file into the brake pads.

-Ken
Likes For KenCarlson:
Old 03-29-22, 05:57 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hey if any of you need angle cut brake pads, the bike shop I work at carries them. We are a small non-profit community shop, no web store or anything. But, if you need PM me and I will send some to you, just cover postage and shipping.