Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need a softer ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need a softer ride

Old 07-17-22, 05:59 PM
ptdadams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need a softer ride

Old guy here who has a great e-bike, a REI co-op 2.1. I ride with most of my weight on my seat. Keeping the tires at the lowest pressure as written on the sidewall is not enough to smooth those small cracks and small bumps. I need a SOFTER ride. Here is my question? Should I go with an expensive suspension seat post OR buy tire liners and reduce my tire pressure 10 more lbs? Would reducing my tire pressure even help? What would be the cheapest way to soften my ride.

David
PS I ride city streets and paved bike trails.
Old 07-17-22, 07:41 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ptdadams
...lowest pressure as written on the sidewall ...
Lowest usable pressure depends on total weight of rider and bike.

What is the pressure you run? Give us some details - tire model and size, tire pressure, and total weight on those tires.

For comparison, I'm 220 lbs. and my bike is well over 30 lbs. and my tires are 700x50mm and I run 25 psi front and 30 psi rear.

I'd work on dialing in the tire pressure before buying suspension seatpost etc.

You can estimate a good tire pressure with this tool:

https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-17-22, 08:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Keeping the tires at the lowest pressure as written on the sidewall is not enough to smooth those small cracks and small bumps.
A suspension seatpost might help, but you're never going to smooth out every bump or crack in the road.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Give us some details - tire model and size
According to the specs, the OP's ebike has Schwalbe Big Ben 27.5 x 1.95.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-17-22, 08:38 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
The cheapest quality seatpost suspension there is, Suntour something model is less than $100. Fairly cheap I think.
Old 07-17-22, 09:20 PM
ptdadams

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need a softer ride

Originally Posted by Rolla
A suspension seatpost might help, but you're never going to smooth out every bump or crack in the road.

According to the specs, the OP's ebike has Schwalbe Big Ben 27.5 x 1.95.
You are correct that the tires are 27.5 and the air pressure is 50-110 lbs. I weight 175 lbs. The tire has hard to read markings but it does read 2.75x 2.00 but I do not know what this means. My weight is 175 lbs.
What would you do to soften my ride?
Much thanks for your help.
Old 07-17-22, 10:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You are correct that the tires are 27.5 and the air pressure is 50-110 lbs. I weight 175 lbs. .
That seems way too high of a tire pressure for those tires. I'd lower the pressure in 5 PSI increments, ride it and see how it feels. I bet it will feel best in the 25-30 PSI range. But lower the pressure in increments.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-17-22, 10:17 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I plugged some numbers into the Silca calculator.
weight 175+50 bike = 225 lbs.
"worn pavement / some cracks"
650B/27.5 wheels
2 inch tires should be close to 50mm width
"mid range casing" tire
47/53 weight distribution front/rear.

Front: 29.5 psi
Rear: 31 psi

That sounds about right to me. Tire minimums are often quite high, and might only be necessary occasionally.

I'm 170 pounds. I ride my 23 pound gravel bike with 38mm tires at 38F and 45R psi and the ride is very nice, even on really rough gravelly chip-seal roads. 50mm tires have 70% more air volume than my 38s! so that allows lower pressures. My 38s are very flexible tires, with no tread and less puncture protection -- the advantage is that the tire can efficiently flex over small bumps on the rough roads, "soaking up" bumps. Your tires are likely a bit stiffer, but the bigger size helps a lot.

At these more comfortable pressures, there's a larger chance of "pinch flats". That's where the tire bottoms out against the rim edges, causing a tube flat where it's mashed between tire and rim. You need to avoid hitting deep potholes at fast speeds, and hopping curbs without good technique. (Tire liners wouldn't avoid pinch flats, they are good for sharp thorns or glass slivers going through the tread.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-17-22 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 11:55 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
The tire has hard to read markings but it does read 2.75x 2.00 but I do not know what this means.
If you read 2.75 instead of 27.5, your sidewalls might be cracking but hoping that's not the case.
Old 07-18-22, 12:15 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Old guy here who has a great e-bike, a REI co-op 2.1. I ride with most of my weight on my seat. Keeping the tires at the lowest pressure as written on the sidewall is not enough to smooth those small cracks and small bumps. I need a SOFTER ride. Here is my question? Should I go with an expensive suspension seat post OR buy tire liners and reduce my tire pressure 10 more lbs? Would reducing my tire pressure even help? What would be the cheapest way to soften my ride.

David
PS I ride city streets and paved bike trails.
You've gotten good advice on tire pressure, the summary is that yours might be too high. Go to one or more of these pressure calculation sites (links below), put in your weight data and see what they say. Since you say you pretty much sit on the saddle with all or most of your weight, I'd use at least a 60/40 ratio of your total "system weight" (60 rear), maybe even heavier on the rear tire.

They're probably going to be different, but similar. Start at the one that gives you the highest pressure, and then experiment by going down 5 psi at a time until you get to the lowest, and see how it feels.
Tire Pressure Calculator – Rene Herse Cycles
SILCA Professional Tire Pressure Calculator
Bike Tire Pressure Calculator - Road, MTB, Gravel | CS|Cycling-Sport GmbH
Old 07-18-22, 12:37 AM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I have an Aluminum Cannondale comfort bike -- my wife's -- with those same exact tires. They're great tires, and very comfortable at the correct pressure. The Silca calculator linked above is what I use. The weight of my wife and her bike are a hundred pounds less than yours but on the calculator, it only makes a difference of a few psi. These large volume tires just don't need a lot of pressure. We run them about 26 psi, sometimes as much as 28 so we can go a week or 10 days before we have to pump them up a bit due to permeability of the tubes. You can use the calculator, and I think you'll find around 30 psi is right. I would not worry about pinch flats with that pressure.

Dirt bikes (motorcycles) use even less pressure, and even fairly small 125cc kid's playbikes that don't have enormous tires can run around 12 to 15 psi -- and they jump those things at that pressure without pinch-flatting. Now to be sure, those tires are fatter than your Big Bens and I'm not suggesting a pressure lower than the calculator does. Just don't believe that some much higher pressure is needed to avoid pinch flats. What you may have some concern about is tearing valve stems off with your e-bike's torque. This will depend on how much torque it has and how you ride it. You don't give the impression of someone apt to whale on the throttle and brakes, so there's probably no concern. More powerful dirt bikes (which are the main type of motorcycle that still uses tires with tubes), have bead-locks that clamp the tire to the rim so it does not spin and tear the valve stem off. I've actually torn the valve stem on little 125's (with no bead locks) not with the engine torque, but with the brakes (front wheel). Brakes often have more torque than motors, but e-motors can be pretty torquey and right-away. I doubt that your bike will do this at anywhere near 30 psi, but this can become a concern in addition to pinch-flats if tire pressure were much lower than the calculator suggests.
Old 07-18-22, 01:50 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
A 2.0" tire with 50psi is pretty damn hard. In fact I usually fill to 60psi and anything over 50psi just doesn't feel any different. I do it because I don't mess with my tires again until they get scary in turns. About 20psi. Takes around 4 months! The extra 10psi at fill-up doesn't make the ride any worse and buys me another month of no fuss riding time. I refuse to obsess about my weight, my load weight, and what tire pressure(s) that requires. At 175lb the o.p. is pretty light, and unless I way miss my guess they don't have all that much padding, and THAT is the main reason for their issues.

As stated earlier, I fill my tires to 60 psi (max = 70psi) and ride them down to 20psi. The sweet spot for comfort/handling is indeed around 25psi but I wouldn't exactly say the ride is comfortable then! And I need to drop a gear to cruise. At any pressure safe and practical for good handling (and rolling resistance) the ride will still be quite firm. It's a bicycle. An unsuspended bicycle, and it is NOT ever going to ride like a fully suspended off-road rig. If more comfort is needed, the tires are the worst place to look for it. Does that need to be said? Clearly so. Way too many posts are about this or that tire pressure. The post about the shock post is very much on the right track. And this saddle should get thorough consideration. In fact, I'd buy the saddle first and see how that goes.
Old 07-18-22, 06:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
A suspension post plus a seat with springs. My wife has a comfort bike with both plus front suspension. It's a Columbia step-through...I think around a 2003. Very isolating, it that's what you're looking for.
Old 07-18-22, 07:09 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 438 Posts
IME, a Kinekt (2.1, I think) spring seatpost soaked up about 1" worth of bumps and cracks, etc., so 2" bumps feel like 1" bumps. Better, but not a miracle.
Old 07-18-22, 07:10 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Schwalbe Big Ben is narrower than what it says on the sidewall. Unless mounted on very wide rims. First step is to measure the inflated tire. Guesses are guesses.

I've used that tire and liked it enough to use it until the tread wears through. Rides well and handles well. Over inflated it might as well be a solid rubber tire.
Old 07-18-22, 10:32 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
As others have said, you’ll need to experiment with tire pressure to get the balance between comfort and flats, if you are riding surfaces with jarring sharp edges.

There are 2 “basic” types of suspension seatposts. One is basically straight down suspension where the pedal distance changes. The other, and more expensive, moves the seat down and rearward to lesson the compression impact on pedaling.

John
Old 07-18-22, 02:26 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
As above, try around 30 psi.

Also look at this saddle:
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/flyer.html

or this one:
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/b67.html
Old 07-18-22, 03:26 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
You are correct that the tires are 27.5 and the air pressure is 50-110 lbs. I weight 175 lbs. The tire has hard to read markings but it does read 2.75x 2.00 but I do not know what this means. My weight is 175 lbs.
What would you do to soften my ride?
Much thanks for your help.
whooooooaaaaaa Nellie. According to Schwabe they are supposed to be 30-55 PSI. NOT 50 - 110 lps

https://schwalbetires.com/Big-Ben-11100554
Old 07-18-22, 04:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
A Kinekt post is the way to go. If you want a little more comfort that is going to be your best bet. Avoid the other stuff and go for the best. It has replaceable springs based on your weight or riding preference and it really works nicely. Certainly avoid any pogo stick seat posts as those don't really work well and eventually spin around like a captain chair but also don't do well for your knees.

Of course keep in mind the seatpost can only do so much and an entry level bike with no suspension or really poor suspension is probably going to ride a bit rougher but it will certainly help and I could not imagine riding an e-bike without one.
Old 07-18-22, 08:53 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
whooooooaaaaaa Nellie. According to Schwabe they are supposed to be 30-55 PSI. NOT 50 - 110 lps

https://schwalbetires.com/Big-Ben-11100554
Well, you're almost right, but you gave the pressure for the 20 inch not 26 inch tires.

Last edited by phughes; 07-19-22 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 09:25 PM
OmenGregg

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low tire pressure with larger tire is good enough to make a soft rider,but the downside is you lost some speed and power transfering efficiency,If you don't mind the speed much,larger tire with lower pressure would be best solution,if care about the speed and responsive of the bike,suspension is a good choice.
Old 07-18-22, 09:34 PM
big john

Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
I have an Aluminum Cannondale comfort bike -- my wife's -- with those same exact tires. They're great tires, and very comfortable at the correct pressure. The Silca calculator linked above is what I use. The weight of my wife and her bike are a hundred pounds less than yours but on the calculator, it only makes a difference of a few psi. These large volume tires just don't need a lot of pressure. We run them about 26 psi, sometimes as much as 28 so we can go a week or 10 days before we have to pump them up a bit due to permeability of the tubes. You can use the calculator, and I think you'll find around 30 psi is right. I would not worry about pinch flats with that pressure.

Dirt bikes (motorcycles) use even less pressure, and even fairly small 125cc kid's playbikes that don't have enormous tires can run around 12 to 15 psi -- and they jump those things at that pressure without pinch-flatting. Now to be sure, those tires are fatter than your Big Bens and I'm not suggesting a pressure lower than the calculator does. Just don't believe that some much higher pressure is needed to avoid pinch flats. What you may have some concern about is tearing valve stems off with your e-bike's torque. This will depend on how much torque it has and how you ride it. You don't give the impression of someone apt to whale on the throttle and brakes, so there's probably no concern. More powerful dirt bikes (which are the main type of motorcycle that still uses tires with tubes), have bead-locks that clamp the tire to the rim so it does not spin and tear the valve stem off. I've actually torn the valve stem on little 125's (with no bead locks) not with the engine torque, but with the brakes (front wheel). Brakes often have more torque than motors, but e-motors can be pretty torquey and right-away. I doubt that your bike will do this at anywhere near 30 psi, but this can become a concern in addition to pinch-flats if tire pressure were much lower than the calculator suggests.
I ran 9 psi in the front tire of my dirt bikes and never had a tire problem from that pressure. I use 15 psi in the front of my mountain bike (27.5x2.8) and have never had a pinch flat even with tubes.

I don't know what the OPs' situation is but if any road shock is intolerable and money is no object I would get a short travel full suspension e-mtb and set it up soft. Or one of those monster e-bikes with the 4 inch wide tires.

Last edited by big john; 07-18-22 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 09:40 PM
big john

Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by OmenGregg
Low tire pressure with larger tire is good enough to make a soft rider,but the downside is you lost some speed and power transfering efficiency,If you don't mind the speed much,larger tire with lower pressure would be best solution,if care about the speed and responsive of the bike,suspension is a good choice.
It's an e-bike.
Old 07-19-22, 04:07 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Well, you're almost right, but you gave the pressure for the 20 inc to 26 inch tires.
See.. close counts in more things other than horseshoes and hand grenades
Old 07-19-22, 04:17 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
See.. close counts in more things other than horseshoes and hand grenades
No, not really.
Old 07-19-22, 04:19 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by OmenGregg
Low tire pressure with larger tire is good enough to make a soft rider,but the downside is you lost some speed and power transfering efficiency,
No you don't, in fact on rough roads you gain efficiency.
Likes For phughes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.