Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Better sealant than Stans for road tubeless?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 12:16 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts

Quick background - Light Bicycle rims with Pirelli P-Zero tires and regular Stans. After about 1,100 miles the tires started taking a bunch of micro cuts which sealed up just fine. Then I finally took a bigger cut of about 2-3mm which resulted in a geyser of sealant spewing all over. I managed to keep enough pressure on the cut with the hole pressed to the road and it eventually sealed and I was able to add air and finish the ride. The next day the same hole opened up again.

It seems like regular Stans just can't handle the high pressure of road tires. Are there better options?
Old 08-16-22, 12:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
A cut of that size might be better repaired with a plug than sealant alone. I've used Stan's and Orange Seal, and have found no difference in their performance.
Old 08-16-22, 12:32 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
There are more aggressive sealants with chunks of stuff in them that plug bigger holes but they can also plug up valves.

Stan's Race sealant is one, but there are other brands too.
Old 08-16-22, 12:51 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I've only been tubeless for about a year and a half but I did a lot of reading prior and the experienced tubeless roadies mostly preferred Orange Seal (regular) to others and many said Stan's was not good for road tire pressures. A couple of weeks after I went tubeless I hit something that was bad enough to spew sealant (as evidenced by having to peel it bits of it off the back of the seatpost and my tailight) but it quickly sealed and I finished the ride without even knowing it happened. So, a satisfied Orange user here.

My anecdotal 2 cents worth.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 08-16-22, 12:52 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

I tried to plug it, but couldn't get the sticky bacon strip threaded into that little needle without mangling it. Better technique may be needed!
Old 08-16-22, 12:58 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
In my experience, Orange Seal original formula is better than Stans in almost every way. It seals bigger holes and it doesn't develop the the little "Stanimals" of balled up of latex inside the tire. I tried the Orange Seal Endurance formula and it did not perform very well at sealing holes.
Old 08-16-22, 03:22 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts
2-3 mm is a large cut and I don't think most standard sealants would hold over time. At least at road bike pressures. On the side of the road, a plug would be in order. But back at home, for a stubborn hole that won't stay sealed, I'll pop the tire off and apply a common tube patch to the inside wall of the tire. Always seems to work well.

As for Stan's vs Orange Seal, I found Stan's sealed punctures well, but did not seal leaky tire sidewalls well. Obviously, this could be very dependent on the tire and my number of tires I've used is limited. It's not uncommon for new tubeless tires to have leaky sidewalls. I had some tires that Stan's never completely sealed the sidewalls of the new tires. Orange seal has worked well for me in this regard. So, I just use Orange seal.

As for bacon strip plugs, I've found these less than ideal. I've had the plug work itself out of the tire just finishing the ride. I really like Dyna Plugs. These are preloaded with a metal tip that stays inside the tire. Basically it is impossible for the plug to back out. They are also super fast to insert since they are preloaded and ready to immediately push in. They also don't dry out like bacon strips do, or at least take a lot longer to do that.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 08-16-22, 09:37 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
+1 on Orange Seal Regular over Stan’s.

Used Stan’s in GP5000 TL but it failed to seal sidewalls on new unridden GP5000 S TR
Had to switch to Orange Rregular to stop excessive air loss overnight

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-16-22, 09:49 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
In 3 years I've only used Orange Seal Endurance, which sealed the one puncture I've gotten albeit not as quickly as I expect OS Regular might've. Endurance lasts much longer in my tires than I expected so maybe I'll switch to Regular if I ever use up my Endurance bottle.

Buddy was on Stan's which made a huge mess and didn't seal at all and he was going to give up on tubeless until I told him about OS. He told me he'd since punctured and had it seal, so no more drama after the switch.
Old 08-17-22, 02:20 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I tried to plug it, but couldn't get the sticky bacon strip threaded into that little needle without mangling it. Better technique may be needed!
Get better plugs! Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories
Old 08-17-22, 06:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Your name is Dunlop and you are not using tubes At least they are pneumatic tires...LOL.

Probably all the sealant is the best stuff or absolute crap depending on who you talk with. Though if I were spec'ing it for myself I would probably go Orange Seal because it is MUSA but the Effetto Mariposa Veggetex stuff made from old olive oil pits seems kinda neat as a potentially less eco-destroying solution
Old 08-18-22, 09:18 AM
keithdunlop

Originally Posted by Rolla
Ordered!
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 08-21-22, 11:34 AM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I started using Stan's sealant on road tires in 2012. It sealed very well, but I had severe corrosion issues with the Shimano tubeless rims. Both Shimano and Stan's blamed each other. It was so bad I had to replace the rims. Furthermore, the residue was very difficult to clean from the tires and rims.
I been using Effetto Mariposa caffelatex in my road tires for a year without any problems of corrosion, no sealing holes issues, and it is much easier to clean.
On my Mtn bike tires I had been using Effetto Mariposa caffelatex, but tried Stan's race sealant. The problem with that is that you cannot add sealant through the removable core valve, and have to break the tire to rim seal.