Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rim Brakes or Disc Brakes- Bike Friday New World Tourist

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-22, 11:41 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan

Hi Everyone.
I am 60 years old and am ordering a Bike Friday this week.
I have to decide on rim vs. disc.
BF sales person suggesting rim brakes because they are easier and cheaper to work on and they say the parts will still be available for 20+ years and not obsolete. Simplicity and less $ for brake adjustments appeal to me (rim).
It does rain where I live (Oregon) but I won't be riding so much in the rain.
Better braking in the rain appeals to me (disc).
BF staff also says I can braze on disc mounts at any time (and replace wheels) but it would require a repaint.
Your advice?
Thanks!
Have the frame equipped with bosses for rim brakes and tabs for disc brakes.
You can use either, switch if necessary.
Old 08-18-22, 11:52 AM
amyvegan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Have the frame equipped with bosses for rim brakes and tabs for disc brakes.
You can use either, switch if necessary.
i actually suggested that with BF sales but they said "perhaps unnecessary, as you'd need to also have disc hubs, too, and additional costs up front and additional costs to add disc calipers later..."
Old 08-18-22, 12:05 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
i actually suggested that with BF sales but they said "perhaps unnecessary, as you'd need to also have disc hubs, too, and additional costs up front and additional costs to add disc calipers later..."
It isn;t a big deal for them to supply disc-hubs with out the discs installed.
Old 08-18-22, 12:33 PM
anga

That shouldn't be a constraint. All wheels I build have rims with machined brake surfaces for rim brakes and disc hubs. I can use these wheels with rim brakes or disc brakes.

Hubs for disc brakes may cost a few dollars more than hubs for rim brakes.

Cost for adding disc tabs or rim bosses later are high, since you need to repaint the frame.

Insist on disc tabs (is or pm), rim brake bosses, rims with machined brake tracks and disc hubs. That's what I do when I have the option. Don't have a preference for one or the other brake but want to retain flexibility.

Also, go for adjustable dropouts. Will allow you to switch between cassettes and derailleurs and internally geared hubs (IGH).

If within your budget, go for a Rohloff hub (expensive) and Hebie's chainglider. Your maintenance will be restricted to checking tire pressure. Or, you can start with derailleur and cassette and switch to a Rohloff once you start using the bike a lot.

It is always less expensive over the life of the bike to retain flexibility by paying a little extra at the start. And, Bike Friday's are on the expensive side.
Old 08-18-22, 03:00 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
It isn;t a big deal for them to supply disc-hubs with out the discs installed.
they can do it. but i'm being discouraged i guess. i know rim brakes are easy and i can work on those myself. disc? nope. thanks.
Old 08-18-22, 03:02 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That shouldn't be a constraint. All wheels I build have rims with machined brake surfaces for rim brakes and disc hubs. I can use these wheels with rim brakes or disc brakes.

Hubs for disc brakes may cost a few dollars more than hubs for rim brakes.

Cost for adding disc tabs or rim bosses later are high, since you need to repaint the frame.

Insist on disc tabs (is or pm), rim brake bosses, rims with machined brake tracks and disc hubs. That's what I do when I have the option. Don't have a preference for one or the other brake but want to retain flexibility.

Also, go for adjustable dropouts. Will allow you to switch between cassettes and derailleurs and internally geared hubs (IGH).

If within your budget, go for a Rohloff hub (expensive) and Hebie's chainglider. Your maintenance will be restricted to checking tire pressure. Or, you can start with derailleur and cassette and switch to a Rohloff once you start using the bike a lot.

It is always less expensive over the life of the bike to retain flexibility by paying a little extra at the start. And, Bike Friday's are on the expensive side.
thanks so much for all this but this hub stuff is waaaaaay above my understanding ... i will send your comments to BF and see what they say. thanks.
Old 08-18-22, 05:18 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Do you want to be able to fold your BF to take it upstairs, or do you just want a smaller bike?

If I had to fold my BF regularly, it would really annoy me. It doesn't fold up easily or into an easily carryable package, like (for example) a Brompton.

thanks for this. wow, so sorry about your accident. hope you weren't hurt. and all the thefts. how awful.
i live in a tiny condo in a high rise and it's not safe to leave anything in our cars or even our "bike room," hence moving to folders from full sized bikes. thanks for all this very informative info.
Old 08-18-22, 05:21 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
Do you want to be able to fold your BF to take it upstairs, or do you just want a smaller bike?

If I had to fold my BF regularly, it would really annoy me. It doesn't fold up easily or into an easily carryable package, like (for example) a Brompton.
good question. it fits in an elevator unfolded. i will be folding it in my car (honda fit) and maybe for plane travel.
i can fold it in my living room when i have a guest futon on the floor.
the BF has 18 speeds and elec. assist and i do need all that because i'm old and it's hilly here. thanks.
Old 08-19-22, 04:25 AM
anga

they can do it. but i'm being discouraged i guess. i know rim brakes are easy and i can work on those myself. disc? nope. thanks.
Since it is an ebike check with folks on ebike forum about brakes.

You also don't know about electric motors and so on. No one knows everything.
Disc brakes are listed as a choice for NWT. Makes no sense for bike friday to discourage you. Parts shortage?
I would insist, but your choice.
Old 08-19-22, 09:39 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Everyone has preferences but I much prefer rim brakes. If you go with discs do NOT get the Avid BB5, get the 7's. Discs are fiddly, imo, to keep them quiet. I ride where it's mostly dry and motorized and rims work just fine to stop. If you live where it is wet, then maybe discs are preferable especially with a motor. Weather is the biggest factor in choosing imo. Weight is another factor; if you're light weight then you don't need the stopping power of discs as much as a big guy might. As to working on them, they're just different from what you are used to but it's not difficult. Watch a few you tube videos and you've got it. But - as I said - the Avid BB5's require a LOT more frequent tinkering than the BB7's to keep them from squealing so definitely get the 7s if you get discs.

Last edited by linberl; 08-19-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-19-22, 11:30 AM
anga

Originally Posted by linberl
Everyone has preferences but I much prefer rim brakes. If you go with discs do NOT get the Avid BB5, get the 7's. Discs are fiddly, imo, to keep them quiet. I ride where it's mostly dry and motorized and rims work just fine to stop. If you live where it is wet, then maybe discs are preferable especially with a motor. Weather is the biggest factor in choosing imo. Weight is another factor; if you're light weight then you don't need the stopping power of discs as much as a big guy might. As to working on them, they're just different from what you are used to but it's not difficult. Watch a few you tube videos and you've got it. But - as I said - the Avid BB5's require a LOT more frequent tinkering than the BB7's to keep them from squealing so definitely get the 7s if you get discs.
Amy lives in Portland, OR.
While the thread started as rim vs disc, it has come to the frame, hubs and rims providing options for rim and disc brakes. Bike Friday is steering her towards rim brakes only, without any option for switching to disc brakes.
Old 08-19-22, 11:44 AM
linberl

Amy lives in Portland, OR.
While the thread started as rim vs disc, it has come to the frame, hubs and rims providing options for rim and disc brakes. Bike Friday is steering her towards rim brakes only, without any option for switching to disc brakes.
Ahh...Portland. Yeah I would do disc brakes then. Two reasons: 1) crappy weather, 2) resale value. Discs will be more palatable to anyone in that area if the bike is resold. I would just stay away from the BB5's as I said (I have them and have finally got them to be less of a pain on my recumbent trike) and go with the BB7's right off. Amy should watch some you tube videos and will realize that just because they are unfamiliar doesn't mean they are difficult to maintain. Worst case, you get your local LBS to let you watch how to adjust them; they might show for free but even if they charge it won't be a big deal. Once you know, it's pretty easy. Just don't get the BB5s. Seriously. I don't see any reason to get the BF set up for both systems. Don't let fear of the unknown dictate the bike specs. I am a 72 year old female and if I can adjust my stupid BB5s (often) then Amy can handle discs as well. If BF doesn't have stock right now then Amy can source the BB7s herself and send them to BF. I did that with a couple of the parts I wanted on my pakiT build.
Old 08-19-22, 01:15 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They do offer mechanical, not hydrolic, disc brakes. I think the sales person thinks mechanical disc will be more expensive to maintain/repair and that v-brakes are sufficient for me even in the rain.
They will sell me mech. disc, of course they will, but he thinks it's overkill for me I guess.
THANK YOU Everyone.

Last edited by amyvegan; 08-19-22 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-19-22, 01:35 PM
linberl

They do offer mechanical, not hydrolic, disc brakes. I think the sales person thinks mechanical disc will be more expensive to maintain/repair and that v-brakes are sufficient for me even in the rain.
They will sell me mech. disc, of course they will, but he thinks it's overkill for me I guess.
THANK YOU Everyone.
If you haven't already you should join the BF group. You'll get advice specifically from BF owners there and great ideas, too. Bike Friday Community | Facebook
Old 08-19-22, 01:52 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If you haven't already you should join the BF group. You'll get advice specifically from BF owners there and great ideas, too. Bike Friday Community | Facebook
i did join after posting here and i will join. thanks.
Old 08-19-22, 02:07 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Since it is an ebike check with folks on ebike forum about brakes.

You also don't know about electric motors and so on. No one knows everything.
Disc brakes are listed as a choice for NWT. Makes no sense for bike friday to discourage you. Parts shortage?
I would insist, but your choice.
good idea, re: e-bike. thanks.
Old 08-19-22, 02:14 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
One issue I have in the rim/disk wars is that to my knowledge Bike Friday does not offer thru-axles, only the traditional dropouts. In my readings it seems like thru-axles are a somewhat crucial part (or important upgrade) of the brake system. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it and it doesn't really matter. Sometimes it's hard to separate reality from the hype. I've never owned a disk-braked bicycle so I do not have any first hand knowledge on the matter. So for me, at this stage of my brake type education, I'll probably be going for rim brakes. But I am open to new information and reserve the right to change my mind.
Old 08-19-22, 02:16 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
One issue I have in the rim/disk wars is that to my knowledge Bike Friday does not offer thru-axles, only the traditional dropouts. In my readings it seems like thru-axles are a somewhat crucial part (or important upgrade) of the brake system. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it and it doesn't really matter. Sometimes it's hard to separate reality from the hype. I've never owned a disk-braked bicycle so I do not have any first hand knowledge on the matter. So for me, at this stage of my brake type education, I'll probably be going for rim brakes. But I am open to new information and reserve the right to change my mind.
thanks so much for this. right now, i'm thinking e-assist + rain + hauling a burley trailer loaded w/food = disc but i dunno...
in 20 years, will rim brake pad and parts even exist? would anyone want to buy my bike when i'm 80 (in 20 years) with rim brakes?
e-bikes come w/disc and i am getting e-assist (and will remove the battery much of the time).
sigh.

this is a really hard decison for me.
Old 08-19-22, 02:32 PM
HelpSingularity 

thanks so much for this. right now, i'm thinking e-assist + rain + hauling a burley trailer loaded w/food = disc but i dunno...
in 20 years, will rim brake pad and parts even exist? would anyone want to buy my bike when i'm 80 (in 20 years) with rim brakes?
e-bikes come w/disc and i am getting e-assist (and will remove the battery much of the time).
sigh.

this is a really hard decison for me.
Concerning parts availability I don't think you really have to worry about that (although I could be wrong). There are millions and millions of rim-braked bicycles in the world that are going to be around for a long time. Plus it is a mature technology so it is unlikely to change much. Plus rim brakes over the last 90 years have worked perfectly fine.
But certainly a very real thing is perception. Will rim-brakes in 20 years seem so hopelessly outdated that you can't give the d*mn thing away? Who knows ? Equally the current crop of disk brakes (and accouterments) could become obsolete and parts availability will become problematic in 20 years. I guess we can touch bases again in 2042 and see how it all played out.
Old 08-19-22, 02:33 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Concerning parts availability I don't think you really have to worry about that (although I could be wrong). There are millions and millions of rim-braked bicycles in the world that are going to be around for a long time. Plus it is a mature technology so it is unlikely to change much. Plus rim brakes over the last 90 years have worked perfectly fine.
But certainly a very real thing is perception. Will rim-brakes in 20 years seem so hopelessly outdated that you can't give the d*mn thing away? Who knows ? Equally the current crop of disk brakes (and accouterments) could become obsolete and parts availability will become problematic in 20 years. I guess we can touch bases again in 2042 and see how it all played out.
lololo. omg, with climate change, will there even be a human alive on the planet in 2042? lolol.
Old 08-19-22, 02:38 PM
HelpSingularity 

#amyvegan
Just a fyi: It's funny that you should bring this subject up; 'cause I've been reading up and thinking about this very subject since I started contemplating getting a Bike Friday myself a few months ago.
cheers
Old 08-19-22, 02:41 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
#amyvegan
Just a fyi: It's funny that you should bring this subject up; 'cause I've been reading up and thinking about this very subject since I started contemplating getting a Bike Friday myself a few months ago.
cheers
climate change issues are front and center for me. it's not going to be pretty.
Old 08-19-22, 02:43 PM
HelpSingularity 

lololo. omg, with climate change, will there even be a human alive on the planet in 2042? lolol.
My theory is yes, there will be some humans still hanging on, Mad Max style, but with bicycles.
Old 08-19-22, 02:43 PM
amyvegan

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My theory is yes, there will be some humans still hanging on, Mad Max style, but with bicycles.
lolololololol. and no replacement parts.
Old 08-19-22, 04:54 PM
linberl

Maybe you are overthinking this. Your only reason against discs from what I've read is you aren't familiar with working on them. It's not hard. If you can adjust rim brakes you can adjust disc brakes. the bb7 has 2 adjusters which is much easier than the bb5 which only has one. So where with your rim brakes you would adjust the pull of the cable and also the position of each pad, with disc brakes (BB7) the equivalent to the pad adjustment is done with the two dials, not hard at all. replacing them is pretty easy as well. watch a video on you tube and you'll feel a lot more confident. And just like you can put kool stop pads on your rim brakes, they also make pads for mechanical discs. So when the originals wear out you can switch over if you want. As long as you get discs with both inner and outer adjustment dials, I just don't see any problem. as for pulling a trailer, I haul `60lbs on a burley travoy attached to my recumbent trike (which has the crappy bb5 discs) and I have to say coming down a hill with a load is definitely better with the discs. I used to pull that load with my BF pakIT with caliper brakes and they are shimano 105's which are pretty good, but the discs are better.
Likes For linberl:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.