Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Weird use-case advice

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Weird use-case advice

Old 08-29-22, 04:17 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
I do not like Ergon grips because they do not provide almost no shock or vibration absorption.

I prefer by far thick silicon MTB grips like the ESI Chunky or Extra Chunky (yes, there are much cheaper ones but before buying and testing them, you never know the amount of shock+vibration absorption).

They help a lot on the Brompton that has small stiff wheels with narrow high pressure tires.

On the Birdy, they aren't necessary but they weight less than the factory mounted Ergon grip.
Old 08-29-22, 05:02 AM
mobamoba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
As in any other area, beware of products that have surfaced last month and supposedly solve all problems of the world. A folding bike needs to be rugged. Its abuse that may be outside of your control. Moreover, functionality of those bikes strongly depends on various accessories that may need to be well tailored to particular brand or model. With this, more so than in other areas, it is advisable to go with products that have been well tested and embraced by the market.
The biggest problem I've found is that, even living in NYC, it borders on impossible to find folding bikes by any companies other than the ones I mentioned in my initial post even though, for instance, I've heard Pacific Cycles and Mobot are good companies but unfortunately there's no way for me to test their products before purchasing. It's the unfortunate appeal of buying off of Amazon - I can test it an return it for nothing but I'd rather get some guidance before doing so.
Old 08-29-22, 05:02 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
I’ve just ordered these and then saw your answer. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Which model did you order?
How about a brief review after using these for a couple of months?
Old 08-29-22, 05:11 AM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
Which model did you order?
How about a brief review after using these for a couple of months?
411 as I have none-sqlab grips. Will definitely review them.
Old 08-29-22, 06:10 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by mobamoba
The biggest problem I've found is that, even living in NYC, it borders on impossible to find folding bikes by any companies other than the ones I mentioned in my initial post even though, for instance, I've heard Pacific Cycles and Mobot are good companies but unfortunately there's no way for me to test their products before purchasing. It's the unfortunate appeal of buying off of Amazon - I can test it an return it for nothing but I'd rather get some guidance before doing so.
You need to be realistic. Eventually something will break in the bike you get and you will need to get some specialized part or dealer to fix it. It can be harder to get that specialized part than the whole bike. If the bikes are only available somewhere else in the world, so will be the parts or worse. Of course you can be a pioneer for a brand at your location, but then you better have knowledge and skills comparable to a dealer.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-29-22, 03:34 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Get the lightest Brompton you can afford. I would not add the electric. If you have to go far, then take it multi-modal using busses trains. Electricals add weight and complexity. Bromptons have the best fold.
Agree with Schwinnsta here.

I think a standard Brompton wins followed by an Electric Brompton. Realize that your electric requirement greatly impacts the weight, cost and simplicity for your primary use. IMO, that's a big compromise for an emergency that requires you to evacuate (911 chaos comes to mind). I mean, what are the chances of that happening, and if it does I don't think you will be wishing you had a different bike because it had larger wheels. You will be so stoked and grateful to be riding something while people are walking or stuck in traffic.

If you must have assist, then consider the Electric C or P line Brompton.

IMO, i​​​​​f your commute or errands require multiple folds/unfolds, it's so hard to beat a Brompton.

Disclaimer - I am a Brompton fan and have never ridden or owned any other folder.

Last edited by bee-man; 08-29-22 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-29-22, 04:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
In an emergency or an a regular basis, you can cycle 40 miles on a 20" wheel. I am sure there are more qualified members who can chime in.
I've done many long rides, including a couple Centuries, on my Tern Verge S11i. No electric assistance necessary, and quite comfortable.
Old 08-29-22, 04:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I started thinking about folding ebikes because I kept thinking 16" tires (or even 20") would suck for 30/40 miles without pedal assist.
Strida, 16" tires, single speed, 600km tour:

Dahon K3, 14"tires, 3-spd, 330 km brevet:

Last edited by tcs; 08-29-22 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 08-29-22, 05:06 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

I thought some people here might have some opinions on what might work and/or point me in other areas or brands I haven't considered. Thanks.
Dahon K3 Plus/K3 Pro. Disc brakes. 9-spd. 16" wheels. Small fold. Light. Less expensive than the 'Bs' (BikeFriday, Birdy, Brompton)
Likes For tcs:
Old 08-29-22, 06:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Origami Lotus,... 9 speed, cromoly frame, disc brakes, about 25lbs I believe, 16" wheels, $629 (solid price), and a looker: https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/lotus
Old 08-29-22, 07:46 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Strida, 16" tires, single speed, 600km tour:
https://youtu.be/P5rfWH6AtnI
I did this very same tour, plus two more branches off the main trunk, on a 20" wheel folder. In total, maybe 700km.

This dude did it single-speed. I got questioned here why I had only a 11-36t cogset.
​​​​​What would I ride in NYC? Something along these lines...

​​​​​​.
A Dahon K3 Plus sells for about $1,500 in the U.S. Th0rUSA, for example. Same bike here, $675. I am not sure the Dahon is a good value at all at $1,500.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-31-22 at 05:38 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 08-29-22, 09:47 PM
tcs
Palmer

... in the case of an emergency (like a citywide blackout or something) I want a means of transportation to get out of the city to family that's around say 40 miles away in New Jersey. I mean if there's a blackout, there's no subway and I'm guessing every Uber will be totally booked so I want a means of getting myself out without relying on anyone else.
Just add bug out bag:

Old 08-30-22, 02:03 AM
CEBEP

Blinking rear red light is not a good idea. It’s almost impossible for human eye (car driver behind you) to determine distance and distance change in total darkness based on a blinking light. This is why they are forbidden on bicycle in Germany.
Old 08-30-22, 02:53 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by tds101
Origami Lotus,... 9 speed, cromoly frame, disc brakes, about 25lbs I believe, 16" wheels, $629 (solid price), and a looker: https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/lotus
As Mobamoba noted, most of these folding bikes with center frame hinge, even if they aren't heavy, are bulky and unpleasant to carry due to their folded shape.

That's why he only listed bikes that fold differently, Brompton. Byb, Birdy, Bike Friday.

So, its useless to again propose center frame folding bikes.

And also, seen the list of folding bike given and the possibility to have an e-assist, obviously price is not an issue for Mobamoba.

BTW, if price isn't an issue, the Seattle Cycle Burke 20 could fit too (assuming it is really available ?). Its fully US made.
Old 08-30-22, 03:21 AM
CEBEP

There is also Vello Bike from Austria. Never used them and not sure if they are available in US. If money no object, they offer some variety of models including electric, titanium and different drivetrains including belt.

Old 08-30-22, 03:56 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Just add bug out bag:

https://youtu.be/k-DLqc9Vplg
That is a total other level of commitment!!! kudos to the guy.

To the OP, there is also the Dahon curl but, looking @ EU price, I would go brompton

Last edited by Fentuz; 08-30-22 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-30-22, 04:03 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
As Mobamoba noted, most of these folding bikes with center frame hinge, even if they aren't heavy, are bulky and unpleasant to carry due to their folded shape.

That's why he only listed bikes that fold differently, Brompton. Byb, Birdy, Bike Friday.

And also, seen the list of folding bike given and the possibility to have an e-assist, obviously price is not an issue for Mobamoba.

BTW, if price isn't an issue, the Seattle Cycle Burke 20 could fit too (assuming it is really available ?). Its fully US made.
Then the OP can decide, without you quoting me. Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-30-22, 04:03 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
There is also Vello Bike from Austria. Never used them and not sure if they are available in US. If money no object, they offer some variety of models including electric, titanium and different drivetrains including belt.
I like Vello too. But gave up when they didn't deduct VAT for shipping outside EU.
You will find at least one horror story about service within warranty period.
No dealers in US.
Likes For anga:
Old 08-30-22, 04:37 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by tds101
Then the OP can decide, without you quoting me. Have a wonderful day.
Sorry, it was just for the picture of an example of such this type of folding bike.

For the Vello, a friend of mine had one and the manufacturing isn't really good. You can for instance compare the folding fork design/manufacturing of the Vello with the same concept on the Tyrell Ive.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 08-30-22, 04:47 AM
mobamoba

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe

BTW, if price isn't an issue, the Seattle Burke Cycle could fit too (assuming it is really available ?). Its fully US made.
Thanks. And this thread has made it clear that tire size won't be an issue for the type of emergency ride - the guy with the boat was awesome! - I might face and in some ways I'm unconcerned about buying an integrated ebike since I know I can get a Swytch (or similar) aftermarket and use as needed. A removable e-system also takes care of any weight issue though honestly that's not a major concern for me in general - if it maxes out around 40 lbs with the battery, I can live with it as my building has an elevator and I can lug it up/down the occasional subway stair if it comes to that.

The prime concern is not having to argue with a maitre'd, bartender, security person at Shoprite, etc. because the fold makes the bike look bulky and they don't want me to bring it inside (like the Dahon Mariner I mentioned in my OP - it's hard to imagine any NYC bar letting that inside without an argument). The B brands I listed are the ones most known for looking small when folded, but I thought there might be other ones I should know about that are competing on compactness the way Brompton is. I guess I thought since Brompton has been such a success in the space that other companies (beyond the ones I mentioned) would be getting into the "tiny when folded" folding bike business as well.

It's not that price is no issue; it's that I know the engineering and manufacture that goes into a compact fold is going to cost more and I'm at peace with that but I just want to make sure I've explored all my options before buying and not just the bigger brands in the space with marketing budgets to make themselves known.
Old 08-30-22, 04:55 AM
Jipe

If you want an E-assist at least partly removable and the bike usable without E-assist, the Brompton Electric P-line seems the best option: you can remove the battery and then there is only the additional weight of the front hub motor that has almost no drag when riding without E-assist.

My experience is that when carrying the folded Brompton in a shoulder bag like the Radical Design bag, its possible to go almost everywhere without problems, even sensible places like an hospital since nobody think there is a folded bike inside.
Old 08-30-22, 06:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Fentuz
To the OP, there is also the Dahon Curl
OP in NYC; Curl currently not sold in NA.

BTW, Thor has retired. His business, ThorUSA, closed on August 22.

Last edited by tcs; 08-30-22 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-30-22, 04:52 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
I've been commuting on folding bikes from Hoboken to Coney Isl. since 2013.
I rode a Bike Friday Tikit from 2013 to 2017, until I got T-boned by an SUV in the rain.

I tried a friend's Brompton for few weeks, determined that it was too expensive of a bike in case it gets stolen or gets hit by another car.
In attempt to have a lightweight, cheap folding bike, I bought a 16" Citizen Tokyo ($250) from 2017 to 2018, until it got stolen from my locked basement.

Between 2018 & 2019, I tried a few other cheap folding bikes with V-brakes, just didn't car for trueing wheels when I abuse the crap out of them hopping curbs.
I found a $125 Sundeal aluminum folding bike with disc brakes on eBay, back in 2019.. still ride it today.
My bikes gets ridden in all weather, even in the snow, slush, ice, salt covered roads.
Bikes goes on and off the subway, PATH train, get banged against doors, metal posts, curbs, walls, etc..
It certainly takes abuse and require very minimal maintenance.
For $125, it is well worth it, and I don't really care if it gets stolen after 3 years of use.
I rarely lock it, just fold it up next to a bike stand, take off the long seatpost and no one ever messes with it.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-30-22 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-30-22, 07:23 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
I've been commuting on folding bikes from Hoboken to Coney Isl. since 2013.
I rode a Bike Friday Tikit from 2013 to 2017, until I got T-boned by an SUV in the rain.

I tried a friend's Brompton for few weeks, determined that it was too expensive of a bike in case it gets stolen or gets hit by another car.
In attempt to have a lightweight, cheap folding bike, I bought a 16" Citizen Tokyo ($250) from 2017 to 2018, until it got stolen from my locked basement.

Between 2018 & 2019, I tried a few other cheap folding bikes with V-brakes, just didn't car for trueing wheels when I abuse the crap out of them hopping curbs.
I found a $125 Sundeal aluminum folding bike with disc brakes on eBay, back in 2019.. still ride it today.
My bikes gets ridden in all weather, even in the snow, slush, ice, salt covered roads.
Bikes goes on and off the subway, PATH train, get banged against doors, metal posts, curbs, walls, etc..
It certainly takes abuse and require very minimal maintenance.
For $125, it is well worth it, and I don't really care if it gets stolen after 3 years of use.
I rarely lock it, just fold it up next to a bike stand, take off the long seatpost and no one ever messes with it.

Nice share of your experiences.
I like how you found utility in the simplicity of the cheapest bike.
We sometimes get carried away that only the best most costly gear will do when the fact is just getting out there and doing it.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 08-30-22, 08:10 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
I've also tried a few compact folding ebikes, genreally they are fine if you're not carrying it up & down stairs.
But my commute require me to take the PATH to get across from NJ into Manhattan, ebikes just a bit too much to manage for subways.

For those snow days that I just have too much stuff to carry, cheap folding bike easily up to the task:
Likes For cat0020:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.