Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Weird use-case advice

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Weird use-case advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-22, 04:53 AM
mobamoba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
I've been commuting on folding bikes from Hoboken to Coney Isl. since 2013.
I rode a Bike Friday Tikit from 2013 to 2017, until I got T-boned by an SUV in the rain.

I tried a friend's Brompton for few weeks, determined that it was too expensive of a bike in case it gets stolen or gets hit by another car.
In attempt to have a lightweight, cheap folding bike, I bought a 16" Citizen Tokyo ($250) from 2017 to 2018, until it got stolen from my locked basement.

Between 2018 & 2019, I tried a few other cheap folding bikes with V-brakes, just didn't car for trueing wheels when I abuse the crap out of them hopping curbs.
I found a $125 Sundeal aluminum folding bike with disc brakes on eBay, back in 2019.. still ride it today.
My bikes gets ridden in all weather, even in the snow, slush, ice, salt covered roads.
Bikes goes on and off the subway, PATH train, get banged against doors, metal posts, curbs, walls, etc..
It certainly takes abuse and require very minimal maintenance.
For $125, it is well worth it, and I don't really care if it gets stolen after 3 years of use.
I rarely lock it, just fold it up next to a bike stand, take off the long seatpost and no one ever messes with it.
That is definitely an interesting way to go that I hadn't thought of - don't worry about compactness of fold but rather buy something cheap enough that if I'm forced to lock it up outside and it gets stolen (the prime reason I want a compact fold - taking it indoors everywhere) then bummer but not the end of the world. I could, if desired, add an aftermarket battery system to have that option if I wanted in an emergency. Interesting thanks for that thought.

As I'm reading through people's thoughts on this thread, part of me is wondering if the cost of making one bike do too many things is worth it. Honestly if I felt I had the room in my apartment, I'd take my college-age niece's long-unused but perfectly fine full-sized non-folding Schwinn and keep that as an emergency bike then get a cheapo used folding bike plus something like a Xiaomi Scooter as electric and non-electric options for local errands.

Hmm.
Old 08-31-22, 11:26 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Upcoming legislation, I hope it passes:

New York’s proposed e-bike rebate could slash electric bike and scooter prices by 50%

https://electrek.co/2022/08/31/new-york-e-bike-rebate/
Likes For cat0020:
Old 08-31-22, 05:05 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
OP in NYC; Curl currently not sold in NA.

BTW, Thor has retired. His business, ThorUSA, closed on August 22.
Store closed on the 26th of August. Wonderful person,...he deserves his retirement!

Last edited by tds101; 08-31-22 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 06:46 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
So I live in the Bay Area so similar bike theft issues. I purchased a Bike Friday pakit customized to my own component specs; it weighs 19lbs and has 8 gears; I electrified it with a friction drive that is no longer available so Swytch would be the obvious choice. I'm old and frail and I can carry it up 3 flights of stairs. I use wax on the chain so it's clean but you can also get a belt drive which eliminates any muss when carrying it. It folds narrower and longer than Brompton but folds just as fast, if not faster; it doesn't roll well but it's so much lighter than a Brompton it doesn't matter. I use a Brompton style velcro frame handle to carry it. It also rides like a full sized bike (except for potholes which can swallow 16" tires so you do have to watch out) and people tour on them. I also bought a cheap used Dahon Mu Uno folder (22 lbs) that I rode if I had to leave the bike outside locked up (some movie theaters, etc.). The BF never ever left my hand. This worked really well for me but if you don't have room for 2 folders it might not work for you.
Likes For linberl:
Old 08-31-22, 06:48 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Store closed on the 26th of August. Wonderful person,...he deserves his retirement!
Here is an industry note. Curl is listed on ThorUSA as a retired model, as is Boardwalk!
Old 08-31-22, 07:28 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Here is an industry note. Curl is listed on ThorUSA as a retired model, as is Boardwalk!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-22, 08:32 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
They should invite him back to this forum, since there is no perceived conflict of interest now.
I miss his inputs (and never found him to be promoting his stuff here )
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 09-01-22, 07:53 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by pinholecam
They should invite him back to this forum, since there is no perceived conflict of interest now.
I miss his inputs (and never found him to be promoting his stuff here )
He wasn't promoting anything, and was a pillar of the BF community. He definitely deserves to be asked back into the community, but I think he's a bit busy enjoying life right now.
Old 09-01-22, 12:56 PM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
My two cents: perhaps worth more or worthless

To the OP,

I’ve gone back and forth on making cheap bikes work vs buying something straight away that I know I’ll like riding. I’ve done both. Sometimes the cheap bike is exactly what you need/want and sometimes the bike you think will be perfect turns out underwhelming.

It’s tough to predict how you’ll jive with any particular bike.

For your purposes, I’m having a hard time making a recommendation, because I don’t know to what extent you value riding for enjoyment. You note some practical reasons for the bike search, but will you ride also for fun? Does riding the bike for the practical purposes sound fun to you?

If you’re simply getting a bike as a tool to accomplish commutes/errands, and a city escape, then get the Brompton. Super compact fold, and proven to be ridable for loooong distances, with and without luggage.

If you’re looking for a compact bike, that can fold, and is a joy to ride, then get a Bike Friday. I’d have absolutely no trouble riding my Bike Friday in the 60+mi range, and folks regularly ride them further. This is the compact bike that I’d get if ride quality and biking fun are prioritized over compact fold and practicality.

This isn’t to say that the Brompton or other would not also be a joy to ride, but at 6’3” with longish legs, the customizability of my Bike Friday is a selling point.
Old 09-01-22, 01:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Curl is listed on ThorUSA as a retired model, as is Boardwalk!
Sold worldwide, just not in NA. Dahon even featured a Curl "Mk II" with disc brakes and internal cabling in their virtual showroom.
Old 09-01-22, 01:22 PM
mobamoba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vaultbrad
To the OP,

I’ve gone back and forth on making cheap bikes work vs buying something straight away that I know I’ll like riding. I’ve done both. Sometimes the cheap bike is exactly what you need/want and sometimes the bike you think will be perfect turns out underwhelming.

It’s tough to predict how you’ll jive with any particular bike.

For your purposes, I’m having a hard time making a recommendation, because I don’t know to what extent you value riding for enjoyment. You note some practical reasons for the bike search, but will you ride also for fun? Does riding the bike for the practical purposes sound fun to you?

If you’re simply getting a bike as a tool to accomplish commutes/errands, and a city escape, then get the Brompton. Super compact fold, and proven to be ridable for loooong distances, with and without luggage.

If you’re looking for a compact bike, that can fold, and is a joy to ride, then get a Bike Friday. I’d have absolutely no trouble riding my Bike Friday in the 60+mi range, and folks regularly ride them further. This is the compact bike that I’d get if ride quality and biking fun are prioritized over compact fold and practicality.

This isn’t to say that the Brompton or other would not also be a joy to ride, but at 6’3” with longish legs, the customizability of my Bike Friday is a selling point.
I don't see myself using this particular bike recreationally. Don't get me wrong; I love recreational biking (my brother and I used to go mountain biking and it was a blast) but NYC with all the traffic and pedestrians and crowded bike lanes... I mean anything can happen, but I just don't see myself using the bike other than as straight-up transportation.

I don't commute as I work from home and part of my mental struggle has been that BF and Brompton almost seem like overkill for essentially errands, seeing friends, and having a way out of the city in a public transit emergency. cat0020 made the point about using a cheap bike and not worrying about theft so much (my prime reason for wanting a super-compact folder) and at this point, I'm contemplating getting two bikes: an old 10-speed Schwinn my brother said he'd give to me and which I could use in an emergency plus something like a Fiido D11 or similar (a Swagtron? a Jetson Pro?) which I've seen for around $600ish and lock it up and hope that between the lock and removing the battery and seat (the D11 has the battery in the seat which is appealing in that regard) a thief will decide it's not worth it.

I'm vacillating at this point between going one high-end/compact/no-thieving (since will never leave my side) bike vs 2 low-end/bulkier/thief-risk-but-cheap bikes.
Old 09-01-22, 01:36 PM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mobamoba

I'm vacillating at this point between going one high-end/compact/no-thieving (since will never leave my side) bike vs 2 low-end/bulkier/thief-risk-but-cheap bikes.
Fair. In your shoes, I’d get the Brompton or BYB. And just have the one bike to worry about.
Old 09-01-22, 08:45 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by mobamoba
I don't see myself using this particular bike recreationally. Don't get me wrong; I love recreational biking (my brother and I used to go mountain biking and it was a blast) but NYC with all the traffic and pedestrians and crowded bike lanes... I mean anything can happen, but I just don't see myself using the bike other than as straight-up transportation.

I don't commute as I work from home and part of my mental struggle has been that BF and Brompton almost seem like overkill for essentially errands, seeing friends, and having a way out of the city in a public transit emergency. cat0020 made the point about using a cheap bike and not worrying about theft so much (my prime reason for wanting a super-compact folder) and at this point, I'm contemplating getting two bikes: an old 10-speed Schwinn my brother said he'd give to me and which I could use in an emergency plus something like a Fiido D11 or similar (a Swagtron? a Jetson Pro?) which I've seen for around $600ish and lock it up and hope that between the lock and removing the battery and seat (the D11 has the battery in the seat which is appealing in that regard) a thief will decide it's not worth it.

Do not get the Fiido D11 off of eBay, as it has no warranty, support, and is most likely the version of the bike that may have a faulty frame. I messaged the seller, and I'd recommend passing on this one. Direct from Fiido is how I'd go.
Old 09-02-22, 04:30 AM
mobamoba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not get the Fiido D11 off of eBay, as it has no warranty, support, and is most likely the version of the bike that may have a faulty frame. I messaged the seller, and I'd recommend passing on this one. Direct from Fiido is how I'd go.
Thanks. Fiido's website listed a local dealer and I was going to buy from them. I didn't realize the D11 had a frame issue (I'm aware the Fiido X did). Also, not married to the Fiido D11, just an example of the sort of cheaper folding ebike I was contemplating if I go the non-high-end route with this.
Old 09-02-22, 05:01 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Brompton is not necessarily high end, there is the A-line which is cheaper than a C-line and much cheaper than a P-line (and T-line) !