Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Pedal Assist for a Double Vision R32

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 09-06-22, 03:17 PM
HKTangler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I am trying to find out how I can add pedal assist to my Double Vision R32 Recumbent Tandem. I was recommended to try a Grin or Falco kit, but I cant figure out where to buy one and don't have the first idea of who could install one for me. I contacted Bafang and they don't support tandem weight, sigh. Also I have heard from one guy I need a front drive motor and from someone else a rear drive. This is all so confusing. LOL

Your help would be greatly appreciated. This bike takes hills quite arduously, and my knees aren't up for it anymore!!
Old 09-14-22, 07:33 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Is Double vision a 20"/26" setup or 20"/20" setup?

It would probably be easier to have a 20" front hub motor wheel, if the fork allows proper hub spacing.
Front motor would have less cables running, maybe better weight distribution for battery/controller placement under the captain's chair.

Rear 26" or 20" hub motor would likely have no frame spacing issues.
Just that running the throttle, sensors, controller/motor wiring would have to be entire length of the tandem.
Old 09-14-22, 04:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Hmmm. Before any comments directly to the subject of e-assist. I have to observe that hills are simply a matter of gearing! Unless I way miss my guess that tandem has a low gear around 28". If instead it was 18"! Maybe even 16"! Would the o.p.'s knees still be in distress? Also any e-assist will work better when the underlying gearing is optimized for the riders strength level.

A 20" powered wheel is a torque monster. A tandem will need no less than a 500W motor and that simply is too much torque (power) to put at the front end. Looking at that bike, I would get rid of any IPS, if present and put a mid-drive on the Stokers (1st choice) or Captains (2nd choice) cranks and run the wires where they have to be run. There will be plenty of placement options for the battery pack(s) to optimize weight distribution. It need not be confusing. I am ready and willing to DM about this, and if you hit up Eco-Cycle who mainly deal with Tong-Shen TSDZ mid-drive systems, then you can talk with David Hall about these motors as well. Bafang mid-drives are powerful but they are not torque sensing. I went with the Tong-shen for that reason. If I had it to do over I probably would just go Bafang. Cadence sensing isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you are so ... *cough* unacquainted with e-assist systems, as to be unaware of the various technologies and what they represent.

''If you are NOT going to install the system yourself then, IMO you should find a dealer who can and trust them on what to install and how* but, of course, it helps to have some knowledge of what you want. There is much more to it.
*make sure they pay attention to providing adequate torque arms, ideally on both sides if a hub motor. Tong-Shen mounting kit for recumbents has a nifty torque arm for boom mounting (Captains cranks) the motor.
Old 09-28-22, 07:53 PM
drbenjamin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished installing a Bafang BBSHD at the captains cranks on my Double Vision. Hung the battery below the captain's seat. If you're handy it's not too hard but you do have to mess with the cabling to get it all to work. It's really nice, way more power than we'll ever need.
Old 09-28-22, 09:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by HKTangler
Hi there,

I am trying to find out how I can add pedal assist to my Double Vision R32 Recumbent Tandem. I was recommended to try a Grin or Falco kit, but I cant figure out where to buy one and don't have the first idea of who could install one for me. I contacted Bafang and they don't support tandem weight, sigh. Also I have heard from one guy I need a front drive motor and from someone else a rear drive. This is all so confusing. LOL

Your help would be greatly appreciated. This bike takes hills quite arduously, and my knees aren't up for it anymore!!
Where do you live? I've got a guy in the Bay Area that installed my trike system and he's great. If you're in Norcal. Also look to see if a company called Velofix operates in your area. They are mobile mechanics and they will install e-assist systems.