Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Model B, finally!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 07:33 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts

About half a year after first seeing it, I got to bring it home. It looks to be a 1970 model, 58 X 58 c-t-c. It's almost all there but for the rims, spokes and Unicantor. The PO didn't want the tubs so he got a local bike shop to lace the front GS hub into a Rigida clincher, and some other generic hub with a matching rear clincher. A Shimano 600 derailleur caps off the mods. Fortunately the guy kept the rear hub and gear. The shop is long gone and so are the low mileage (Fiamme Red?) rims.

I don't think this bike saw many roads. The paint is excellent, the chrome is typically so-so, the decals are very good although it's only got one set of World Champion stripes. TA chainring wear is minimal and the Universal 61's appear to have original pads. Axle adjusters, all the clips and original green housing is there. Nitor seat pin. Big Cinelli cockpit with long old logo stem and wide Giros. The pedals are junky, they look like Sheffields. Now if only it was 54/54!

Not a lot of documentation online for this generation and model so any info or ephemera would be appreciated. Rim choices?

Here's a folder with bunch-o-shots https://goo.gl/photos/LoMrp24Pn1cbRCmL7
Likes For clubman:
Old 08-02-16, 07:48 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Nice, I could live with that.
Old 08-02-16, 08:15 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Me too.

Old 08-02-16, 08:26 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Does this fit you?
Old 08-02-16, 08:32 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Great colour.

Wonderful find.

No great insights to share, but happy to spectate!

Subscribed.
Old 08-02-16, 09:12 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by gomango
Does this fit you?
No, I broke the 'only buy bikes that fit' rule just because I have a fondness for these and the price was reasonable. I used to spend a lot of time in Mike Barry's shops and saw a number of B's and SC's and was always impressed. I'll take my time with this one, keep it original and hang it. We'll see what happens down the road.

I need to find a good scale. The bike feels quite light for a large frame.
Old 08-03-16, 03:30 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Congratulations on finally getting your Model B. It does look great in that colour and it sounds like a pretty good and original example too. I can appreciate ignoring your size/buy rule to get this beauty. If you do get a little stressed with the size issue - it is my size and I would be willing to take over ownership - to help you out.
Old 08-03-16, 05:04 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Fiamme red label tubulars would be my rim of choice. I know these were the stock rims in 1973. However, this may have been custom built from a frame, given the crankset.

The Fiamme yellow label would be another possibility, though less likely. The 2nd most popular Italian rim manufacturer during this period was Nisi, with their two most popular rims being the Corsa Stretto and Super Corsa. Ambrosio was the next most popular Italian brand, but i don't have any literature from this era. Of course, since it has a TA crank, a Mavic Sport or Montherly would not be out of the question or possibly a Weinmann 270 or 294.
Old 08-03-16, 07:55 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Fiamme red label tubulars would be my rim of choice. I know these were the stock rims in 1973. However, this may have been custom built from a frame, given the crankset.

The Fiamme yellow label would be another possibility, though less likely. The 2nd most popular Italian rim manufacturer during this period was Nisi, with their two most popular rims being the Corsa Stretto and Super Corsa. Ambrosio was the next most popular Italian brand, but i don't have any literature from this era. Of course, since it has a TA crank, a Mavic Sport or Montherly would not be out of the question or possibly a Weinmann 270 or 294.
Thanks T-Mar. According to another list member the TA was a stock crank for the Mod B around this time frame but I'm unable to find another online. I know it's seems odd but remember the Altenburger Cinelli. Maybe they were trying to reach out to other markets.

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Congratulations on finally getting your Model B. It does look great in that colour and it sounds like a pretty good and original example too. I can appreciate ignoring your size/buy rule to get this beauty. If you do get a little stressed with the size issue - it is my size and I would be willing to take over ownership - to help you out.
Thanks and I'll keep you back of mind
Old 08-03-16, 08:17 AM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
One of my favourite bikes in my favourite Cinelli colour. Those Sheffield pedals are original and were considered good pedals in their day. Seatpost and brakes also original. Boy if it's too big for you I'll trade you my custom 1984 Strawberry frame which is 54cm x 54cm which is too small for me....
Old 08-03-16, 08:22 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
that's a beaut. I'd own that in my size, and i'm not really interested in more vintage bikes.

Old 08-03-16, 09:11 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Green with envy To find it original in that beautiful frame condition is quite something. Big + on those cables too!
Old 08-03-16, 09:21 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Pretty color, will clean up very nice. Green with envy as they say.
Old 08-03-16, 09:53 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
One of my favourite bikes in my favourite Cinelli colour. Those Sheffield pedals are original and were considered good pedals in their day. Seatpost and brakes also original. Boy if it's too big for you I'll trade you my custom 1984 Strawberry frame which is 54cm x 54cm which is too small for me....
Wow, I'd trade a cinelli for a strawberry any day.
Old 08-03-16, 10:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Thanks T-Mar. According to another list member the TA was a stock crank for the Mod B around this time frame but I'm unable to find another online. I know it's seems odd but remember the Altenburger Cinelli. Maybe they were trying to reach out to other markets...
I went back and double checked some literature that I have just to make sure that I had recalled things correctly. 1972 does not mention the crank but shows what appears to be a 3 pin, steel, cottered crankset. 1973 spec is a Magistoni, 3 pin, steel crankset with Simplex chainrings. Curiously the 1973 SC specs Fiamme red label while the 1973 B specs Nisi. No rims specs mentioned for 1972. Sorry, I have nothing for 1970 or 1971.
Old 08-03-16, 12:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have seen Nisi rims on Model B's that appear original, no eyelets.
Old 08-03-16, 02:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
If you plan on really riding the bike enough miles, seriously consider other rim choices other than Fiamme Ergals, even though the seem to be very appropriate......
Unless you like to spend half your time with the bike truing the wheels every few miles.
Ergals perfectly define what "noodle" rims are.......
I suspect Fiamme might have used aluminum alloy
very similar to just what was used on those old poolside folding lounge chairs..... and oh how their spoke holes do scarily pucker up quite a bit with any significant tension on them.......
Old 08-03-16, 02:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by Chombi
If you plan on really riding the bike enough miles, seriously consider other rim choices other than Fiamme Ergals, even though the seem to be very appropriate......
Unless you like to spend half your time with the bike truing the wheels every few miles.
Ergals perfectly define what "noodle" rims are.......
I suspect Fiamme might have used aluminum alloy
very similar to just what was used on those old poolside folding lounge chairs..... and oh how their spoke holes do scarily pucker up quite a bit with any significant tension on them.......
Appreciate the advice. Due to it's size, I can't really ride it, maybe perch is the right term, testing it out, experiencing it's 'Power and Glory'. As the B model faded toward it's final days in '73, it seems that there was a mish-mash of possible componentry. @T-Mar has suggested a number of suitable rims so I'll cross the yellow Ergals off the list. 1970's tubulars are not my expertise, if they were I would never have ditched my blue Paris-Roubaix's back in the 80's
Old 08-03-16, 03:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
wrt the chainset -

in about 1973 had the opportunity to see a 1969 model B in silver, all original. factory built as complete machine. was kitted same as cycle under discussion with the specta trois attachees chainset. (of course it was not wearing a yoshi stern mech!)
Old 08-03-16, 04:17 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by juvela
wrt the chainset -

in about 1973 had the opportunity to see a 1969 model B in silver, all original. factory built as complete machine. was kitted same as cycle under discussion with the specta trois attachees chainset. (of course it was not wearing a yoshi stern mech!)
Excellent. So I'm just a wheelset and saddle away from original. I'm sure the bike feels humiliated every time it has to change gears in public.

We will fix that.
Old 08-03-16, 04:54 PM
juvela

since it wears a valentino front mech it may have been kitted with a valentino or velox rear one.

it has been nearly forty-five years but i think the silver '69 i saw had something like record front and rear mechs...alas the memories dimmeth!

also assembled a machine for a customer with a model B frameset. he got it bare and it had been resprayed. it was absent chrome and transfers so not of much assistance here...

if your example a 1970 one would think it late enough to have a 70mm shell rather than ye olde 74.

iirc the changeover year was ~1967...but of course the cino experts will know better.
Old 08-03-16, 05:14 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Really...I have the original Gran Sport rear mech and I assumed that the front was GS as well. Yech

Originally Posted by juvela
since it wears a valentino front mech it may have been kitted with a valentino or velox rear one.

it has been nearly forty-five years but i think the silver '69 i saw had something like record front and rear mechs...alas the memories dimmeth!

also assembled a machine for a customer with a model B frameset. he got it bare and it had been resprayed. it was absent chrome and transfers so not of much assistance here...

if your example a 1970 one would think it late enough to have a 70mm shell rather than ye olde 74.

iirc the changeover year was ~1967...but of course the cino experts will know better.
Old 08-03-16, 06:33 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by clubman
Really...I have the original Gran Sport rear mech and I assumed that the front was GS as well. Yech
hello again clubman,

did not mean to startle you...

there are three very similar looking campag front mechs.

your photo gallery will not display for me so i have only the one picture to go by.

you can make a determination on your own since you are in possession of the actual bits...

the campag gs front mech nr. 1052/2 has the pinch bolt to hold the position of the cage on the top.

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo 1005/2, Gran Sport

the chrome plated parts are also polished.

the campag valentino front mech nr. 2050 has the pinch bolt on the front as yours does. the plated parts have a duller satin finish as compared to those of the gs.

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo 2050, Valentino

and just to make matters more complex there is the seldom seen turismo model:

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo Turismo

-----------

slightly puzzled by presence gs rear mech. if machine a 1970 i would have thought the gs discontinued by this time. afaik the close for the gs rear mech was the 1967-68 year. the record model launched in 1963 and the nuovo record model launched ~1969 (some experts state late 1968). do not think the gs would have still been going with those two in production... of course it is always possible factory had some old stock to work through.

if mine, would probably go for a record/record build to get the better shifting and still be within time correct. front record mech should be second generation to be period correct.

hope this assists you a bit...

---------

one very nice fitting i noticed you got was the cinelli headset. many experts assert these to have been magistroni contract built. have no hard information on that one way or the other.

---------

nice to see your rampinelli (reg) frame pump. appears it is mounted with the companion rampinelli umbrella clip, nr. 376/S.

Last edited by juvela; 08-03-16 at 07:22 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-03-16, 06:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Valentino it is. Hmmm. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-21-21, 10:46 AM
cjs9

Bikes: 1968 Cinelli Model B, 2008 Cinelli Supercorsa Pista, Cannondale CAAD12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
devinfan - I see you're from Jet Fuel coffee.. I'll have to swing by with my Mod B one day since I am not yet able to post pics of mine to the thread here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.