Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1997 Scapin KS Pro Racer

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1997 Scapin KS Pro Racer

Old 05-05-22, 05:57 PM
600RD 

Bikes: Merlin Titanium, Scapin KS Pro, Marin Pine F.R.S., Marin Rift Zone 2, State All-Road Black

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
1997 Scapin KS Pro Racer

Hi all,

I wanted to share my most recent build. I know that this one probably straddles the line between oldish and classic, but at least it's steel *shrug*.

First, the details:
  • Frameset: 1997 Scapin KS Pro Racer purchased NOS. I mean NOS...it came with the warranty and sales stickers still attached from a now closed shop in Italy.
  • Tubes: Columbus Nemo. These are some interesting, very lightweight, Nivacrom tubes. The frame uses both TIG welding and lugs for the chain stays...
  • Bars: Cinelli Nerve
  • Stem: Scapin Branded ITM Drop
  • Seatpost: Chorus 9s
  • Seat: Scapin Branded Selle Italia Trimatic...this can only be described as 1950s scratchy sofa fabric on plastic.
  • Headset: Chorus 9s
  • BB: Chorus 9s
  • Brifters: Chorus 9s
  • Brakes: Chorus 9s Dual Pivot
  • RD: Chorus 9s
  • FD: Chorus 9s
  • Hubs: Chorus 9s...
  • Wheelset: Torelli Master
Pictures...

Not going to lie...I'm afraid of riding and damaging this piece of art :/
Old 05-05-22, 06:08 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Nice, I like it! What's it feel like out on the road?
Old 05-05-22, 06:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I like it also. I am not usually a fan of multi colored paint jobs on bicycles, but that all goes together quite well. Scapin is one brand of road bike I would really like to own. I was bidding on one last year, but folded when the price got higher than I wanted to go, cannot remember what that was. There was one on another forum that I anguished over for a while before it sold. It was just a bit too big and I am not doing that. It went for a really low price.
Old 05-05-22, 07:26 PM
600RD 

Bikes: Merlin Titanium, Scapin KS Pro, Marin Pine F.R.S., Marin Rift Zone 2, State All-Road Black

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Nice, I like it! What's it feel like out on the road?
This is the first week I feel it's warm enough to find out. Hoping to go for a ride in the next few days!
Old 05-05-22, 07:28 PM
600RD 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I like it also. I am not usually a fan of multi colored paint jobs on bicycles, but that all goes together quite well. Scapin is one brand of road bike I would really like to own. I was bidding on one last year, but folded when the price got higher than I wanted to go, cannot remember what that was. There was one on another forum that I anguished over for a while before it sold. It was just a bit too big and I am not doing that. It went for a really low price.
Thanks! I'm also more of a fan of simpler designs but fore some reason this one was so 90s that it felt OK. I will definitely be replacing the saddle before I actually take it out though. Reading reviews it's...bad and I kind of want to preserve it to keep the whole outrageous livery going.
Old 05-28-22, 01:39 PM
haecar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
very nice bike, wish you many nice kilometers with it.

I also plan to set up a Scapin and I'm looking for a frame. Can you please tell me how long the seat tube and the top tube are and how much the frame weighs.

Thank you and best regards

Carsten
Old 06-30-22, 01:13 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Very nice! I'm presently building a Scapin Pro Racer with a "Geoid" frame, and am looking for the proper diameter seat post. The inside of the seat tube measures 26.6mm. Is that what you have? Can you recommend a proper diameter? Thanks!.