Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

More important upgrade: mechanical -> Hydro brakes or non tubeless -> tubeless wheels

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

More important upgrade: mechanical -> Hydro brakes or non tubeless -> tubeless wheels

Old 06-11-22, 03:41 PM
Cnguyen323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I ride about 75% pavement and 25% gravel. All the terrain I’m on is relatively flat. No climbs longer than a few hundred feet if that. I’m a heavy rider (240 lbs) on a Poseidon X with tektro mech brakes and stock wheels.

I understand the safety and importance that comes with significant stopping power. Should I prioritize upgrading the brakes before the wheelset? I’m considering something from the juin tech lineup for brakes.

Does anyone know the performance difference between hybrid flat mount hydraulic brakes and a fully hydraulic brake setup like something from sram/shimano?

and I know I should ride up grades before thinking about upgrades… but I digress.
Old 06-11-22, 03:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Neither. Save the coins for the better bike you’ll inevitably want.
Old 06-11-22, 03:48 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Neither. Save the coins for the better bike you’ll inevitably want.
that is coming for sure. Just got this one a few weeks ago though. Decent platform for upgrades. I do plan on saving up for a bike that comes stock tubeless ready with hydro brakes though.
Old 06-11-22, 03:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Hydraulic brakes >> tubeless.

Hydraulic brakes will fundamentally improve your ride, your confidence, and lower your life insurance premium by thousands of dollars per year.

If you already have tubeless-compatible rims, it is an easy and inexpensive "upgrade" anyway, but unless you are pinch-flatting all the time, it isn't going to be as life-changing an experience as getting hydraulic brakes (assuming they are Shimano and not SRAM).
Old 06-11-22, 04:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Upgrade your brakes and forget about tubeless.
Old 06-11-22, 04:00 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you ride in puncture-prone areas, I say tubeless.
Old 06-11-22, 04:01 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Hydraulic brakes will fundamentally improve your ride, your confidence, and lower your life insurance premium by thousands of dollars per year.

If you already have tubeless-compatible rims, it is an easy and inexpensive "upgrade" anyway, but unless you are pinch-flatting all the time, it isn't going to be as life-changing an experience as getting hydraulic brakes (assuming they are Shimano and not SRAM).
I figured as much. The difference is surely more significant for a heavy rider like me. My stock wheel set isn’t tubeless compatible and I would want to get something $400 to make the upgrade significant. I’ll probably just ride tubes until I get another bike down the line. Thanks for the advice!

is there a point in shimano’s brake lineup where the upgrades are diminishing returns? Deore or Xt maybe? I know they have a off road and road lineup. I’m not too knowledgeable on the specifics of their brake hierarchy.

Last edited by Cnguyen323; 06-11-22 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 04:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Other people know better than I do, but XT dual piston would be ideal (quad piston if you are really heavily into mountain biking). The lower-level ones are probably perfectly adequate. A "good" wheelset for a heavy rider will be double or triple what you are quoting, but worth it if you start breaking spokes or bending rims. More spokes is better.
Old 06-11-22, 04:46 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
I recently upgraded the brakes on a 2012 hybrid from Deore to Deore XT (M785 brake levers and calipers), BH90 hose, and RT81 Ice-Tech rotors

The braking (feel and performance) is significantly improved

overkill for this bike - but I smile almost every time I pull a brake lever

My guess is the current XT brake systems are an improvement compared to the older model I upgraded to

Last edited by t2p; 06-11-22 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 05:02 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnguyen323
is there a point in shimano’s brake lineup where the upgrades are diminishing returns? Deore or Xt maybe? I know they have a off road and road lineup. I’m not too knowledgeable on the specifics of their brake hierarchy.
I'm not as familiar with the current Shimano hydraulic brake systems - but I believe the significant step up is SLX

(again) I believe SLX and the better Shimano hydraulic brake systems use the same type / track / 'depth' rotors (and pads) and brake hoses ; both resin and sintered (metal) pads can be used

The lower end stuff uses a wider track rotor and pad ... most of the rotors / pads (but not all) for these applications are resin only
Old 06-11-22, 05:43 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
The descents you are taking don’t really matter. For flat stuff, you could probably get away with putting your foot on the tire. Riding in traffic is a different story but on the open road or better yet, gravel road, no biggie.

The tires will make small a difference but it’s probably not enough to break the bank over.

If you’re riding gravel tires around 40-50psi, you might consider doing a ghetto tubeless setup on your bike. It used to work great on mountain bikes before tubeless became standard. I wouldn’t do it at road bike pressure though.
Old 06-11-22, 07:27 PM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
The descents you are taking don’t really matter. For flat stuff, you could probably get away with putting your foot on the tire. Riding in traffic is a different story but on the open road or better yet, gravel road, no biggie.

The tires will make small a difference but it’s probably not enough to break the bank over.

If you’re riding gravel tires around 40-50psi, you might consider doing a ghetto tubeless setup on your bike. It used to work great on mountain bikes before tubeless became standard. I wouldn’t do it at road bike pressure though.
I am running about 40-45 PSI so I think I may attempt the ghetto tubeless. I’m pretty novice in the both cycling and mechanic aspects. I ride mostly flat predictable terrain, though I have some interest in taking my gravel bike on some tame flowy trails. I assume hybrid calipers from juin tech would be enough for that sort of thing.

I try to avoid traffic as much as possible. There are some high speed feeders and main suburban roads that I have to cross to get to my typical trails.
Old 06-11-22, 08:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
I ride about 75% pavement and 25% gravel. All the terrain I’m on is relatively flat. No climbs longer than a few hundred feet if that. I’m a heavy rider (240 lbs) on a Poseidon X with tektro mech brakes and stock wheels.

I understand the safety and importance that comes with significant stopping power. Should I prioritize upgrading the brakes before the wheelset? I’m considering something from the juin tech lineup for brakes.

Does anyone know the performance difference between hybrid flat mount hydraulic brakes and a fully hydraulic brake setup like something from sram/shimano?

and I know I should ride up grades before thinking about upgrades… but I digress.
Honestly, brakes are more about how you use them than what they are. I have (and have used) cantilever, v-brake, mechanical disc front/v-brake rear, mechanical disc, and hydraulic. The only brakes I didn’t like were the hydraulic. I’ve never got the “superior modulation” from a hydraulic. It felt like on or off with nothing inbetween.

The cantilevers, by the way, are on my loaded touring bike that I load with all kinds of gear for weeks long expeditions and throw it down whatever hill comes along with wild abandon. One set of mechanicals is on my tandem which I load me and my wife on and throw it down hills with wild abandon…much to her horror.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-11-22, 11:23 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I've never used "Tektro MD-C510 Mechanical Disc" brakes, but just a better quality brake, whether hydraulic, mechanical or cable pull hydro (like Juin Tech), would be better.
Old 06-12-22, 12:10 AM
JohnMorgan

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hi. I suspect you’ve already answered your own question re ‘brakes/tyres’, as you lead with ‘understanding the importance of stopping’ :-)
No idea of the performance difference between the systems you mention, other than YouTube videos which favour cable actuated disc brakes (with or without hydraulic pistons).
GCN have done brake system comparisons between rim and disc brakes - you might get something from them?

I’d leave well enough alone, ride the current set up some more, and do your own tests to find out your braking distances in different conditions. This will give you an idea of whether you consider the present system is ‘safe’. You mentioned ‘don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades’, so let me give you ‘ride it ‘till you know how it rides’ :-)
Good luck!
Likes For JohnMorgan:
Old 06-12-22, 03:04 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

Did I miss the sarcasm?
Wow!
Old 06-12-22, 04:10 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Both tubeless and hydro discs have their place. From what you've described, the biggest difference in putting them on your bike is you'll be able to say you put them on your bike.

I'm somewhat close to your weight and most of my miles, in much hillier areas, are done using cantilever brakes. Good quality brakes, well adjusted, with Koolstop pads. The bike seriously STOPS.

You say you're new to cycling. Take a deep breath, buy some really good tires, and ride the bike (and learn how to maintain it).
Likes For fishboat:
Old 06-12-22, 05:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Save your money and buy a better bike
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-12-22, 08:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Did I miss the sarcasm?
Wow!
Nothing gets by you.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-12-22, 09:55 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
The correct answer is "get both." Good disc brakes and tubeless tires are, to me, mandatory upgrades, and I'll never buy a new bike that doesn't have them. Upgrading to both doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor, but if you're on a budget, get the brakes first. Hybrid cable/hydro brakes feel a little different than full hydros, but the performance is pretty much identical. The Juin Tech units are available under other brand names, btw.
Old 06-12-22, 11:21 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The correct answer is "get both." Good disc brakes and tubeless tires are, to me, mandatory upgrades, and I'll never buy a new bike that doesn't have them. Upgrading to both doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor, but if you're on a budget, get the brakes first. Hybrid cable/hydro brakes feel a little different than full hydros, but the performance is pretty much identical. The Juin Tech units are available under other brand names, btw.
I just upgraded from V-brakes to cable actuated discs (my bike had both V-brake and disk brake mounts on the frame) and I am very impressed. So much easier to install than fully hydraulic brakes since there isn't any bleeding or special tools required, and they can use standard cable levers, but really good performance and brake feel. And if you already had mechanical discs installed, it would be super easy to install them- you probably would still be able to use the same cable.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 06-13-22, 04:27 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
I am running about 40-45 PSI so I think I may attempt the ghetto tubeless..
I spotted this and it stood out; what size tires are you running and what kind of bike?

Because I weight the same as you and my road bike needs to be at 100psi (700x28) and the mountain bike at 40psi (29x2.4"), so I'm not sure if you're running at a suitable pressure.

Also, unless you're having difficultly stopping quickly enough, or having problems with flats or tire pressure being too high, I'd just leave them alone and but the money into your next bike instead. I've spent a small fortune upgrading almost all of my bikes and then lost it all when I've inevitably just got a better bike.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 06-13-22, 09:57 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
tJust got this one a few weeks ago though. Decent platform for upgrades.
Do what you like, but it is far more cost efficient to ride the heck out of this bike and save your money. If things do wear out before you are ready to purchase the next bike, then upgrade the worn out component as appropriate (the next level up or maybe two levels up). Otherwise you end up with a box of lower grade components that are still perfectly useful, small increments in performance, and the risk that you are putting titanium lug nuts on a Yugo.
Old 06-13-22, 11:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I'm spending the big bucks (well sorta) to downgrade from non-tubeless to totally tubular. (Well, the city bikes will stay tubed with Paselas for the time being,) The rest are starting the transition back to the sewups I rode exclusively for 15 years and 25 years total.

Several reasons. I've had a flatted clincher roll off the rim and jam in the seatstays. Ugly. painful crash. I can no longer enjoy downhills (Portland and Oregon have some great ones) going twice the speed I crashed at. Can't block the "what if"s. Also love how much abuse a tubular wheel can take (hitting a bottomless pothole for example) and roll along just fine like nothing happened, even with deep dents in the rim. Rare pinch flats. Tire stays on even with 1" or deeper rim damage. Wheel bumps home just fine. (Little rough on the brakes. Oh well.) Confidence inspiring.

The ride! All that air between the road and the rim. None of it hiding in some valley doing nothing. Secure cornering. Everything else being equal, tubulars get better grip. (Learned that the hard way when when I transitioned to clinchers in the '80s and tried to take a downhill wet corner I'd done dozens of times on tubulars.)

Fewer flats than clinchers. I don't know why. But it seems to be. Just hoping that luck resumes. And when it happens. so much easier to deal with! Rip the old tire off. Stick on a new one. Ride. Whatever caused that flat is between the road you are now leaving and the flatted tire under your seat. It cannot cause the next flat. 5 minute tire changes - on good days, on bad days, in the snow, inebriated, in the dark. Very little you can do wrong. (But just roll easy the next few miles, 'till you get home if you use a hard glue.)
Old 06-13-22, 11:15 AM
Cnguyen323

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Both tubeless and hydro discs have their place. From what you've described, the biggest difference in putting them on your bike is you'll be able to say you put them on your bike.

I'm somewhat close to your weight and most of my miles, in much hillier areas, are done using cantilever brakes. Good quality brakes, well adjusted, with Koolstop pads. The bike seriously STOPS.

You say you're new to cycling. Take a deep breath, buy some really good tires, and ride the bike (and learn how to maintain it).
Its a well made bike and I will definitely ride the hell out of it! I think I’ll just try and improve my skills and awareness as much as I can until I’m ready to replace worn out parts or buy a whole new bike. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think I will eventually get the juin techs if these tektro’s ever start acting up or getting difficult. Are those other juin tech exactly the same or are you talking about z race and similar hybrid calipers?

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I spotted this and it stood out; what size tires are you running and what kind of bike?

Because I weight the same as you and my road bike needs to be at 100psi (700x28) and the mountain bike at 40psi (29x2.4"), so I'm not sure if you're running at a suitable pressure.

Also, unless you're having difficultly stopping quickly enough, or having problems with flats or tire pressure being too high, I'd just leave them alone and but the money into your next bike instead. I've spent a small fortune upgrading almost all of my bikes and then lost it all when I've inevitably just got a better bike.
It’s a gravel bike with 700x37 wtb riddlers. I think I’m within the recc psi but I’m new to all things cycling. they feel good. But my average speed is usually 11-13 mph. I assume that’s due to the knobs and width of the tire. I think you’re right about just riding until I get a new bike. I splurged for compressionless housing because many said it’s a game changer for my bike specifically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.