Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-22, 09:07 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
A couple posts about guns were deleted. Let’s avoid those discussions because the talk never leads to anything good. That’s why the subject isn’t allowed.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 08-15-22, 01:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Anyone get road rage on a bicycle, or seen it happen? Yesterday I got into an altercation with a truck heading into a parking lot and looking back am not impressed with my behavior, but cars honking their horn at me when theyre in the wrong really gets me going.
yes, you are not alone
Old 08-15-22, 04:25 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I was honked at on Thursday. What did I do? What I normally do: held my line, took the lane and when I had passed all the parked cars, moved over to the right about a metre from the curb.

I didn't know if the honk was a 'I'm here' honk or a 'get out of my way' honk but I'm guessing the rear facing camera gave him some patience as he passed me when I allowed him to pass only for him to get into the left turn lane.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-15-22 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 06:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Had another incident this evening on my way home. I was on a busy street riding in the “door zone” and a car passed me way too closely. I was kind of perturbed, and saw another car looking like its going to do the same thing. The other car (suv) starts passing me kind of slowly and i reach over and bang on the side of the car a few times and throw a bird. Then we got to a red light and i banged on her car some more and gave her a look and threw up my arms to display exasperation. Im thinking that i should have politely knocked on her window and told her to give atleast 12 inches when passing cyclists because she could spook someone and cause a crash. Might go over better than banging on her car
Old 08-22-22, 07:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Had another incident this evening on my way home. ...
It's possible these aren't random. Perhaps they know you.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-22-22, 08:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by jon c.
It's possible these aren't random. Perhaps they know you.
Im pretty recognizable but most of the comments I get from drivers are encouraging
Old 08-22-22, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Apparently they are encouraging you to go to violence.

When drivers yell at me I tend to yell back "I love you too" because usually they are saying something unintelligible that I assume is potential anger or some stupid comment and also because it completely screws with their head.
Old 08-22-22, 09:39 PM
Daniel4

.. I was on a busy street riding in the “door zone” and a car passed me way too closely. ...
That would be totally expected.

Don't ride in the door zone. Take the lane until it's safe to get back into the right lane.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-22-22 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 10:00 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Apparently they are encouraging you to go to violence.

When drivers yell at me I tend to yell back "I love you too" because usually they are saying something unintelligible that I assume is potential anger or some stupid comment and also because it completely screws with their head.
Slapping a car that got too close to you is not "violence" in my opinion. I didn't hurt their car just got their attention. If I wanted to I could have damaged their car but I wouldn't do that.
Old 08-23-22, 07:42 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Had another incident this evening on my way home. I was on a busy street riding in the “door zone” and a car passed me way too closely. I was kind of perturbed, and saw another car looking like its going to do the same thing. The other car (suv) starts passing me kind of slowly and i reach over and bang on the side of the car a few times and throw a bird. Then we got to a red light and i banged on her car some more and gave her a look and threw up my arms to display exasperation. Im thinking that i should have politely knocked on her window and told her to give atleast 12 inches when passing cyclists because she could spook someone and cause a crash. Might go over better than banging on her car
1. Don't ride in the door zone. Make the cars wait until there is room to safely pass.
2. Your initial slap on the car was okay, because any vehicle that is close enough to touch is already way too close.
3. Your second round of banging on her car was too far, because the immediate danger was gone. If this had turned into a police matter, you would've been hammered for escalating the conflict when the danger had passed. If she tried to use her vehicle as a weapon or she got out of her vehicle to confront you, then it would be a different story, but neither of those things happened.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-23-22, 08:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When I was younger, I may have has an incident that I had road rage on a bike. I worked 50 years as a service tech for a large computer Co. I was on call 24/7/365 except when I was on vacation. But now I am retired, and dont have to be in a hurry to do anything. When someone cuts me off or some other infraction, I just tell myself well I guess he is in a hurry and thinks he is far more important than me, and just let it go. Being retired and relaxed is fantastic.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-23-22, 09:09 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by JW Fas
1. Don't ride in the door zone. Make the cars wait until there is room to safely pass.
2. Your initial slap on the car was okay, because any vehicle that is close enough to touch is already way too close.
3. Your second round of banging on her car was too far, because the immediate danger was gone. If this had turned into a police matter, you would've been hammered for escalating the conflict when the danger had passed. If she tried to use her vehicle as a weapon or she got out of her vehicle to confront you, then it would be a different story, but neither of those things happened.
I prefer to ride as far to the right as possible, I try to look at all of the parked cars mirrors to see if someone is inside. I take liberties with the rules of the road and my main ethos is to stay out of the way. This means that I don't take the lane because I don't want to slow traffic, but in doing so I don't insert myself and force cars to change lanes to pass. I trust that cars will still respect my space and stay atleast 12 inches from me.
Old 08-23-22, 09:55 AM
Daniel4

I prefer to ride as far to the right as possible, I try to look at all of the parked cars mirrors to see if someone is inside. I take liberties with the rules of the road and my main ethos is to stay out of the way. This means that I don't take the lane because I don't want to slow traffic, but in doing so I don't insert myself and force cars to change lanes to pass. I trust that cars will still respect my space and stay atleast 12 inches from me.
This kind of comment belongs to the "When will they ever learn" thread.

I think a lot of us thought that way until we realized that drivers don't care how courteous we are and just want us off the road or until we learned getting doored AND run over right after getting doored is more risky than getting honked at.
Old 08-23-22, 10:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Are you trying to get shot? Knock that crap off.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Slapping a car that got too close to you is not "violence" in my opinion. I didn't hurt their car just got their attention. If I wanted to I could have damaged their car but I wouldn't do that.

You said you banged on her car when it was stopped--that's a threat in pretty much anyone's eyes because it has no legitimate purpose and it's freaking scary when you don't know what the person doing it is capable of. Slapping a car that's actually moving towards you or too closely to you is a whole different matter because that might be a legitimate way to call attention to your presence.
Old 08-23-22, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Have you ever driven? When you're in the door zone as you describe, you're in the way of the cars to your left, they just don't know it because you're probably in their blind spot. TBH, if I'm a driver, what you're describing doing as a cyclist is generally my worst nightmare.
Old 08-23-22, 05:41 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you trying to get shot? Knock that crap off.
I'm pretty sure I've seen Larry in the news before.

Old 08-23-22, 07:47 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You said you banged on her car when it was stopped--that's a threat in pretty much anyone's eyes because it has no legitimate purpose and it's freaking scary when you don't know what the person doing it is capable of. Slapping a car that's actually moving towards you or too closely to you is a whole different matter because that might be a legitimate way to call attention to your presence.
The purpose was so the driver knew i was displeased and hopefully she doesnt pass another cyclist that close
Old 08-24-22, 04:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The purpose was so the driver knew i was displeased and hopefully she doesnt pass another cyclist that close

That's not a legitimate purpose for making contact with the vehicle. If you're actually hitting the car, you're possibly crossing the line into criminal threatening, and if you damage the car in any way you will definitely be criminally liable. If the driver wants you arrested, guess where they're suddenly going to "find" a new scratch on the car.

Generally, the law doesn't look kindly on shows of displeasure while operating on a road, especially if they include contact. If you keep doing this, you're being an idiot.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-24-22, 08:49 AM
Daniel4

Let's put it this way.

Here you are in a discussion forum arguing anonymously with like-minded cyclists who may disagree with you what violence is.

When you actually meet people who are drivers in a real life situation, the best that can happen is that you get the results you want.

The worse that can happen is that they may retaliate and escalate into something I don't want to imagine.

When has drivers teaching each other a lesson ever resulted in overall better driving?

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-24-22 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-24-22, 09:13 AM
LarrySellerz

I slapped the car a few times when it was stuck in traffic and then went on my way, gestured to the driver throwing my arms up like "what the heck, why would you do that?" trying to look exasperated. The car couldn't possibly have retaliated besides taking out a gun and trying to shoot me, which frankly im not worried about.
Old 08-24-22, 10:21 AM
Daniel4

I slapped the car a few times when it was stuck in traffic and then went on my way, gestured to the driver throwing my arms up like "what the heck, why would you do that?" trying to look exasperated. The car couldn't possibly have retaliated besides taking out a gun and trying to shoot me, which frankly im not worried about.
Is there only one driver where you cycle?
Old 08-24-22, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

A lot of people drive armed. You're a fool not to take that into account.

If you were just trying to send a message, stick to the gestures. You obviously aren't good at gauging how threatening people are going to find your conduct. Someone goes even a little bit out of their way to audibly hit my car, I'm absolutely perceiving that as a threat if I'm stuck in traffic. You want to set yourself up to be the test case on the limits osf a driver's right to self-defense, that's on you, but the only time I'm going to do ANYTHING that could be interpreted as a threat is to deter the occupant of the car from getting out of the vehicle to start something. I've had to do that a couple of times.
Old 08-24-22, 07:38 PM
Geergirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, ive gotten road rage

Once, right next to a school, where i had to turn left, so was attempting to take the middle of the lane when a car started going side by side with me, preventing me from making the left turn. He flipped me off, so I gave him one back, he yelled some obscenities and drove off, then finally I could turn left. That was a corner known for accidents (and the new bike lane hasnt really fixed the visibility problem.)
Old 08-25-22, 08:17 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Geergirl
... (and the new bike lane hasnt really fixed the visibility problem.)
Bike lanes really need to have physical separation right up to where the pedestrian crosswalk starts. And then barriers in the intersection to force drivers into making wide turns. Keeping their cars from getting scratched will make drivers pay attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.