Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cuts from brake discs and Recall

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 07:57 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

a Stroller, the $600 All-Terrain RIDGE Jogging Stroller has been recalled by this CPSC for amputating a child's finger.
Apparently a child outside of the stroller got a finger into the brake disk of a spoked wheel.
HOW OFTEN ARE DISC BRAKES CUTTING FOLKS?
I noted how sharp the edges of bicycle discs can be incidentally ,
and despite my propensity for getting fingers caught in gears have never enjoyed this particular trauma
Baby strollers really need disc brakes too, yeah.
I have trailers , and they at the most need a parking brake. IMHO
Old 09-02-22, 08:38 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts

The manufacturer page says, "Disc hand brake system. Reliable performance hand brake to slow your roll, even when running downhill." This is what their idea was.

The recall message does not say it was a sharp edge, instead it says,
HAZARD: The stroller’s rear disc brakes have openings that can cause amputation or laceration if a non-occupant child’s fingertip gets caught in the openings while the stroller is in use.

Photo from https://uppababy.com/ridge/
Old 09-05-22, 10:26 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Disc Brakes aren't cutting folks, sure if you get caught in a moving object like that you can get hurt. It is up to the parents to teach their kids to keep their fingers out of there or use solid rotors.

Disc Brakes on a jogging stroller aren't a bad idea or at least some sort of brakes.
Old 09-05-22, 12:03 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is up to the parents to teach their kids to keep their fingers out of there
Not realistic for a product specifically intended to be used in the presence of toddlers just staring to discover the world.

Should parents be teaching babies not to put their heads through improperly spaced crib bars, too?

or use solid rotors.
And that's more realistic.

Just as we've learned that crib bars need to be spaced close enough that a little head can't fit between and get stuck, so it becomes apparent that a stroller can't just borrow parts as is from the bike industry, but needs to alter the design to suit. The issue would appear to be with the weight-saving "spoke" cutouts while the smaller perforations are probably fine. If eliminating the spoking would yield a disc stiff enough that a dual acting caliper or one on a mount that can flex a little would then be needed is a question that industry should be able to figure out.
Old 09-05-22, 02:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Not realistic for a product specifically intended to be used in the presence of toddlers just staring to discover the world.

Should parents be teaching babies not to put their heads through improperly spaced crib bars, too?

And that's more realistic.

Just as we've learned that crib bars need to be spaced close enough that a little head can't fit between and get stuck, so it becomes apparent that a stroller can't just borrow parts as is from the bike industry, but needs to alter the design to suit. The issue would appear to be with the weight-saving "spoke" cutouts while the smaller perforations are probably fine. If eliminating the spoking would yield a disc stiff enough that a dual acting caliper or one on a mount that can flex a little would then be needed is a question that industry should be able to figure out.
True. I was more thinking while in motion how they would get a hand that close to the rotor.
Old 09-05-22, 04:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
True. I was more thinking while in motion how they would get a hand that close to the rotor.
What I learned from my kids is: If it can happen within the laws of physics, it will happen. Curious kids can do things that you didn't think possible.

My mom had a kiddie seat on her bike. I somehow got my heel into the spokes. I don't think she was moving very fast when it happened, and my dad fashioned some shields to prevent it from happening again. Modern kiddie seats are designed better.

My spouse and I had a Baby Jogger, the original model. It had a single hand brake on the front wheel. The instructions with the jogger actually addressed the possibility of the kid reaching into the wheels.

I can't see the point of disc brakes on a stroller. But a lot of baby products are basically expensive bling for bougie moms and indulgent grandparents. And then the knock-offs come out with the same bling but made like crap. It's a racket. I don't think we would have bought the Baby Jogger, had it not been a gift. Also, a lot of baby products seem to be engineered by waiting until something bad happens, and recalling the product. We suspected that companies would let their older products go onto the recall list, so they were less likely to be handed down or resold.
Old 09-05-22, 04:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
There is no remotely rational reason for a stroller to have any type of brake, except a parking lock. Whomever thought this was a good idea is an idiot.

Generalizing to disc brakes on bicycles is at best a reach.
Old 09-05-22, 05:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I suppose it is completely unrealistic ti think that maybe someone would see that putting these dangers at the height of a child's hand could lead to problems. What kid ever put his fingers where they didn't belong?
Old 09-05-22, 08:39 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
They appear to have created a problem by using bike parts.
If the wheel is removed the disc is vulnerable to being bent in transit, solid wheels and discs could be used
Who needs that kind of braking performance anyway? Running down hill that steep and fast conjures up more problems than braking.
Dangerous "solution" to nobody's problem other than the craving for mo' better, fancy.
Did I miss something?
Is there Olympic 100 yard downhill baby racing where fine modulation and brake fade are concerns and differential brake steering is a plus?

My actual concern was that discs add cost and complexity most don't need and injury risk may be higher, as well, both from cuts and
accidental over braking, and this may be another hidden hazard.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 09-05-22 at 08:53 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 09-06-22, 05:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
A simple plastic cover over the rotor and caliper would solve the issue. It's not like you're going to build a lot of heat in the rotor without enough ventilation.
Old 09-06-22, 06:46 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Seems like a problem with parenting, not the brakes. But that's just going off the OP.
Old 09-06-22, 08:47 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Recall mentions non-occupant children getting injured - which I could see happening say walking on a park path with kids walking alongside the stroller. i.e. slightly older siblings or friend's toddlers

Originally Posted by work4bike
Seems like a problem with parenting, not the brakes. But that's just going off the OP.
As much as I'm a proponent of proper parenting instead of bubblewrapping the world, we need to recognize that no child is perfectly obedient all the time, just as no parent is 100% perfect 100% of the time. Taking basic precautions against obvious potential dangers - such as preventing the curious child walking next to the stroller from suddenly poking its fingers into an open brake disk - is a reasonable precaution.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 09-06-22, 09:10 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
As much as I'm a proponent of proper parenting instead of bubblewrapping the world, we need to recognize that no child is perfectly obedient all the time, just as no parent is 100% perfect 100% of the time. Taking basic precautions against obvious potential dangers - such as preventing the curious child walking next to the stroller from suddenly poking its fingers into an open brake disk - is a reasonable precaution.
This is true. I didn't mean to pass judgement, I was simply going off very little information, but interested in reading more about how this happened. Actually, when I first read it, the thought immediately came into my head of the countless times I've seen people on bikes with dogs in tow on long leashes. I wonder how many of them gave thought to the chance of the dog/leash getting caught up in the spokes.

My picture of this incident brings to mind a young toddler (but I don't know the age) who is at an age that you can't say, "don't do this..." and expect them to listen. That's why people child-proof their houses. Kids are curious, so you have to be extra vigilant. I'm always paranoid when I'm told to watch little kids.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 09-06-22, 09:44 AM
UniChris

The concern was specifically a non-occupant child. Either the barely self-mobile older sibling of the one in the stroller, or the kid who's getting to the point where they demand to walk some, but not the whole way, so the stroller still has to come along for when they get tired out. Parent pauses to look at traffic before crossing the street, curious kid's hand goes in the rotor, parent monitors that kid is still next to them in peripheral vision but attention is on deciding if that driver really is yielding the crosswalk.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
There is no remotely rational reason for a stroller to have any type of brake, except a parking lock.
Might have something to do with how big and heavy strollers have gotten (especially the ones for two kids plus gear), that some of these are marketed under the idea that the parent can fairly seriously jog (or even rollerblade) with them, and the presence of hills - holding back the descent of something that's at arms length in front of you isn't fun, even as a person a lot bigger than some of the parents pushing these.

Last edited by UniChris; 09-06-22 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 11:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It would be easy enough to redesign the disc so that there are no holes big enough for a kid to fit their fingers into them.

And, of course, round all corners so there are no sharp edges.

My guess is the manufacturer of the really expensive strollers decided to go cheap and buy the cheapest brake discs they could find.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-06-22, 04:39 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I would also add a brake which is (when switched on) engaged by default, and pressing the lever releases it. The idea is to stop the stroller if the jogging adult falls or releases it for any other reason. This way the stroller will not roll downhill unattended.
Something like the pneumatic lines trains have: the line that runs between the cars provides pressure to counter the lines within each car and stop the brakes from being engaged. If the cars decouple, the line that runs between them is torn and it loses the pressure, the brakes are engaged to prevent the decoupled cars from running away.
The mechanism would be different, but the idea is the same: when the stroller is released parking brakes are activated.
Old 09-06-22, 08:06 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
A simple plastic cover over the rotor and caliper would solve the issue. It's not like you're going to build a lot of heat in the rotor without enough ventilation.
Maybe, and I thought about that. But there's also the issue of the inward facing side needing guarding. And plastic guards can break..

Ultimately though it's probably an engineering exercise beyond a forum to figure out if it's more practical to make a rotor without large cutouts, or a rotor shield.

A stroller (vs bike) rotor could probably be smaller, too.

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Who needs that kind of braking performance anyway?
I doubt the disc is for performance reasons, rather, the lack of something taking the role of a "fork" (or rear triangle) means that it would be a bit harder to figure out what to mount a rim brake caliper to. Also that would probably need an aluminum, vs plastic rim.

The person who said "hey there's this technology that's showing up on cheap mass market bikes that we could use" was on to something.

The only problem is, they didn't finish the task of adapting it to a distinct use with distinct concerns.

Last edited by UniChris; 09-06-22 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-06-22, 08:14 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I would also add a brake which is (when switched on) engaged by default, and pressing the lever releases it. The idea is to stop the stroller if the jogging adult falls or releases it for any other reason. This way the stroller will not roll downhill unattended.
Something like the pneumatic lines trains have: the line that runs between the cars provides pressure to counter the lines within each car and stop the brakes from being engaged. If the cars decouple, the line that runs between them is torn and it loses the pressure, the brakes are engaged to prevent the decoupled cars from running away.
The mechanism would be different, but the idea is the same: when the stroller is released parking brakes are activated.
The original Baby Jogger had a strap that you were supposed to put around your wrist, to restrain the jogger in case you let go or fell. It also had a catch on the brake lever that would let you lock it.
Old 09-07-22, 06:35 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by csport
It should be easy enough to just design a reverse brake lever and handle, so you squeeze the lever and it releases, and when you release, a spring simply opens up the lever and activates the brakes. Make it so it is comfortable squeezing.

The E-Brake would also be nice when simply stopping the stroller and grabbing the kid.

Note, most modern trucks are also like you describe. A heavy spring at the brake which activates the brakes. Then air pressure releases the brakes. If a trailer is decoupled, either intentionally or otherwise, the brakes are automatically on.

I think many 3 wheel strollers only brake the center front wheel. But, this discs on the two rear wheels may be more stable.
Old 09-07-22, 07:32 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
What I learned from my kids is: If it can happen within the laws of physics, it will happen. Curious kids can do things that you didn't think possible.

My mom had a kiddie seat on her bike. I somehow got my heel into the spokes. I don't think she was moving very fast when it happened, and my dad fashioned some shields to prevent it from happening again. Modern kiddie seats are designed better.

My spouse and I had a Baby Jogger, the original model. It had a single hand brake on the front wheel. The instructions with the jogger actually addressed the possibility of the kid reaching into the wheels.

I can't see the point of disc brakes on a stroller. But a lot of baby products are basically expensive bling for bougie moms and indulgent grandparents. And then the knock-offs come out with the same bling but made like crap. It's a racket. I don't think we would have bought the Baby Jogger, had it not been a gift. Also, a lot of baby products seem to be engineered by waiting until something bad happens, and recalling the product. We suspected that companies would let their older products go onto the recall list, so they were less likely to be handed down or resold.
Could not agree more (and I've got three kids -- I have extensive experience with strollers ).

Look, small children are basically intensely curious monkeys with slightly more intelligence than your average monkey, but way less sense of self-preservation and understanding of consequences. This has to be taken into account when designing products for small children.

And you're right that double disc brakes for a stroller are bull***t. They're totally unnecessary. But probably a big seller in brownstone Brooklyn (where I live). People around here will spend ridiculous amounts of money on baby junk, including strollers. They'll buy UPPAbaby strollers that cost more than a thousand dollars. They'll buy so many of them around here that UPPAbaby has their physical walk-in service center, one of only three nationwide, right here in this neighborhood. Pretty much most of the moms in the neighborhood think that if you don't spend a thousand bucks on your stroller, and another thousand bucks on your car seat (to put in either your Tesla or your Volvo, could go either way), you're guilty of child abuse.

It's just stupid all around.
Old 09-07-22, 11:12 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
manufacturer’s warning mentions ” non-occupant child”. Which appears to be what happened.
It would indeed be clumsy and worthy of a recall if the occupant could reach around and get hurt.

Last edited by dabac; 09-07-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-07-22, 12:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Disc brakes on a stroller make about as much sense as explosive armor on a stroller. How the heck is the thing supposed to stop faster than the person pushing it will?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Disc brakes on a stroller make about as much sense as explosive armor on a stroller. How the heck is the thing supposed to stop faster than the person pushing it will?
Brakes are popular on them. Consider jogging down a hill pushing a cart with a 30 pound weight in it, then having to stop suddenly for a vehicle pulling into/out of a driveway. A little extra help holding it back would be nice.
Old 09-08-22, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
It wouldn't be hard for the manufacturers to make a cover to go over the disc's. However for bicycles UCI doesn't allow fairings. And a cover on the disc would be considered a fairing by them. And also, it's still a little hard to justify as statistic for the incidents of such are rare. Though of course the few that do happen get overly re-used on the internet.

I wonder if eventually there'll be covers on the disc for those of us not doing UCI sanctioned events. Will many of us will think of them as fondly as we do chain guards or dork disc's?

Perhaps I strayed from the stroller topic of the OP, ..... but that wasn't bicycle to begin with!

And this is a bicycle forum.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-08-22 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-08-22, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Brakes are popular on them. Consider jogging down a hill pushing a cart with a 30 pound weight in it, then having to stop suddenly for a vehicle pulling into/out of a driveway. A little extra help holding it back would be nice.

Honestly, I suspect the physics of that are such that if the brake actually produced more stopping power than planting your feet alone, you'd actually end up pushing the stroller forward when your forward momentum drove you into the back of the stroller and it might actually be harder to control. I think for the idea of brakes to actually make the stroller safer, the dead man's switch approach would have to be used--it's braking unless you're actively pulling the lever. That prevents the run-away stroller if you lose your grip on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.