Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Help! Cracked frame-mount derailleur hanger - '92 Trek 2100. Heart sunk.

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Help! Cracked frame-mount derailleur hanger - '92 Trek 2100. Heart sunk.

Old 09-08-22, 11:36 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
That's a real shame. I rode one of these briefly. Lovely riding machine.
I wonder if you can utilize one of these 60's/70's steel Campy hangers.
These were quite common on many frames that lacked the hanger built into the dropout.
This version indents toward the cogs, which might place your derailleur in the same position horizontally.
With the 2100's vertical dropouts, you would need to cinch it in place.
The backside is flat. You would, of course, need to saw off your existing hanger.
Only issue I see concerns your derailleur pushed a half inch aft.
Anyhow, these cost a bit used or new on eBay, when you can locate one.
I can send you a well-used one for ten bucks shipped. PM me if interested.

Old 09-08-22, 12:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
I'll throw in a comment... If the repair doesn't play out consider the fact that this bike could be a...

"PRIMO FIXY!!!"

Old 09-08-22, 01:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I don't think it would make a good fixed gear bike because you would need to take up slack somehow and the hangar is your only choice with vertical dropouts.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-08-22, 07:02 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't think it would make a good fixed gear bike because you would need to take up slack somehow and the hangar is your only choice with vertical dropouts.
Well, there are the hubs with eccentric axles to give you a smidge of chain take-up. I forget who made those, but I have also just cut the axle flush with the ends of the locknuts, so you get 5 mm of takeup before the skewer hits the inside of the dropout slot. Just make sure your QR is tight since friction is the only thing keeping the axle from moving...
Plus Phil's eccentric BB that fits in a regular threaded BB shell, for a tad more take-up.
Finally there's the FixMeUp computer app that tells you what gear combos will work with a given chainstay length, for people with verticals and no eccentric anywhere.

Not that I'd do any of those things, I hate riding fixed on the road! Did my time, back when you had to ride fixed in the winter to train with certain clubs, but it was only under duress. The freewheel is one of the world's greatest inventions, use it people!

Mark B
Old 09-08-22, 07:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
You're thinking of the White Eno hub. Those are good suggestions. Also a half link.
Old 09-11-22, 08:09 PM
djordan

Bikes: 1992 Trek 2100; 1988 Peugeot Versailles; 2006 Motobecane Grand Sprint; 1989 Raleigh Technium 400; 200X Lemond Victoire

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
That's a real shame. I rode one of these briefly. Lovely riding machine.
I wonder if you can utilize one of these 60's/70's steel Campy hangers. * * *
Good ideas, roadcrankr - thanks for offering!
I've been sizing up various derailluer hanger options either like that one to fix with the wheel...
or maybe I get some tools and learn how to grind down and shape the frame to attach a replaceable hanger.
But still investigating the welding with local metalworkers - hopefully I'll make some progress this week.
Old 09-11-22, 08:24 PM
djordan

Bikes: 1992 Trek 2100; 1988 Peugeot Versailles; 2006 Motobecane Grand Sprint; 1989 Raleigh Technium 400; 200X Lemond Victoire

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Not that I'd do any of those things, I hate riding fixed on the road! Did my time, back when you had to ride fixed in the winter to train with certain clubs, but it was only under duress. The freewheel is one of the world's greatest inventions, use it people!
LOL! I definitely don't want to give up the multi-gear transmission.
For me, starting from zero in stop and go city traffic with a fixed gear would be hard on my joints - or if I fix the gear low enough, I've got a pretty limited top speed.
Then again, people love fixies, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 09-13-22, 07:06 PM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Back in the dark ages, Cannondale’s original bikes did not have replaceable hangers, and many bikes suffered the same fate as this one.

Cannondale made a special bolt-on hanger as a fix. You would hacksaw off the offending hanger at a certain place and bolt this hanger onto the frame by drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the appropriate place. I did dozens of these, back in the day.

Whether you could find one of these nowadays is unknown. My ex-bike shop had a couple, several years ago but dunno if they are still around. I’m away for a couple of weeks so I can’t check. Mr Google might know, though.

Mark Beaver
Halifax, NS, Canada
Likes For Mark Beaver: