Old 03-24-21, 06:29 AM
SDadi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice on bike size!

Hi All,
I'm newbie to this form and getting back to cycling after 20yrs to get fitter. Once situation gets better and offices open, I would like to bike once a week to work - 25miles together.

I am almost convinced that I would go for Boardman URB 8.9. However, I am confused as the frame sizes suitability given on website contradicts to advice I got from store.

I'm 167cms/5'6" - with inside leg of 75cms/30".

Boardman site says:
Small for height range 170 - 179 cm and inseam between 74 - 82 cm
Medium for height range 177 - 183 cm and inseam between 78 - 85 cm

Should I go with site and take 'Small' or go with 'Halfords' advice and take Medium.

I tried 2 Halford stores, none have Medium and Small in store to try on.

Can you please give your expert advice?

Thanks,
S Dadi.
Old 07-09-21, 11:03 AM
mrkavin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also looking for an answer.
Likes For mrkavin:
Old 07-09-21, 12:20 PM
Sorg67

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Apex, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 2020 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 58 Posts
My advice is not expert, but I think you have to test ride and some personal preference is involved.

I was between the 54 and 56 for Specialized Diverge. I test rode the 54 and my legs were too long. Had to put the seat too high. I bought the 56. The cockpit is a bit long on the 56. I have moved the seat all the way forward and the reach is still a little longer reach than I prefer. I may need to get a shorter stem to move the handlebars a little closer. Although I am told that doing so will make the steering a bit more twitchy. I could have investigated the 54 a little more. Perhaps if I raised the handlebars some, the seat height would have been okay and maybe the reach would have been more to my liking. Or maybe the reach on the 56 is fine for me and I just need to get used to the riding position.

Anyway, it is my belief that sizing guidelines and bike store recommendations are beginning points. You have to also weigh your personal preference for riding position.
Old 07-19-21, 09:54 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts
Generally, if you're on the edge of sizing then you want to go up for comfort or down for agility, but you sound a good 3" too short for the medium. So I'd go for the small.
Get it ordered into a store if you can and try it out for size before leaving.