Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 08:19 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Comments are appreciated, specially on final stretch. What could have I done to move up? I ended up sixth, and I think with better position I could have been in the money.

Thank You.
It looks like you had good position going into the sprint, but the last straight was only about 20 seconds long - you could have gone from the corner? Now it's fuzzy as I've been looking after Junior after I watched the end of the clip, but at 5:35 you're basically good to go to the line.

Also, and please don't take this as other than an objective view, a good sprint is one where you blast by the other guys who are going their max speed. Passing blowing up riders doesn't count. If you're not one of the few guys blasting by others in the sprint then you need to be as far forward as possible, even leading out the sprint. You'll also do better in sprints that start at high speed, rather than sprints that start slower or after a second or two of coasting through a turn.

Not sure where the wind was from but when I skimmed through the clip there were a few times where you could have slid up the right side and moved up. I couldn't see if there were guys to your inside, if the wind was from the right, but that would have been a viable move. The last turn also, can't see what happened to the right but the left seemed a bit crowded. Was the wind from the right? Tailwind?

At the very beginning you were sitting second wheel and dying to hang on. Second wheel is not a great shelter position - it might have been better to let the guy go and ease back into the field, sit maybe 10th-15th wheel, behind at least a 3-wide bunch of riders. Sitting behind one rider doesn't offer as much shelter as sitting behind a 3-wide bunch of riders, or even 2-wide. Sitting behind more-than-one-wide means you get shelter from the wind even from the sides. At the back you get sucked along, but those roads (yellow line rule not in effect) seem pretty narrow, the pace pretty fast/steady, so I imagine it would have been hard to move up or it'd have increased the chances of getting caught behind a crash if you sat at the back.

Overall I think you did fine, it's just honing your tactics to your strengths/weaknesses. 6th is a great place in a race so you did great. I'd take a 6th any time I could, except the rare occasions where I get better than a 6th. All the wins and stuff you see here on BF are anomalies - a top 6 is a great result.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-07-14, 01:12 PM
Inquisitor.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes hard work pays off, and things end up as they should.

Old 04-07-14, 02:18 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you use the table of contents to skip to the good parts. I positioned myself so well for the sprint, specially considering I started in 60th place and had to maneuver through riders on a tiny single lane and then blew the sprint.

Old 04-09-14, 09:27 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Thank you for taking time to reply and analyze my vid. Replies are below.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
It looks like you had good position going into the sprint, but the last straight was only about 20 seconds long - you could have gone from the corner? Now it's fuzzy as I've been looking after Junior after I watched the end of the clip, but at 5:35 you're basically good to go to the line.
At 5:35? That seems a tad to far from the line. There is still a roller, long down hill, and flat. Before right turn to a down hill, 6:29, we are going in to the wind. So for the final curving right to finish the wind is from the left. I had room? Really didn't seem that way. On a downhill I was spinning out. There was an opportunity at 7, but I think I was still spinning out at that point. Will keep an eye on it next time.

Also, and please don't take this as other than an objective view, a good sprint is one where you blast by the other guys who are going their max speed. Passing blowing up riders doesn't count. If you're not one of the few guys blasting by others in the sprint then you need to be as far forward as possible, even leading out the sprint. You'll also do better in sprints that start at high speed, rather than sprints that start slower or after a second or two of coasting through a turn.
The comment was in comparison. Last time I did this race I was one of the guys blowing up, so it was a good sprint all things considered, and not in overall terms. Which I agree in overall terms it wasn't all that stellar.

[quote]Not sure where the wind was from but when I skimmed through the clip there were a few times where you could have slid up the right side and moved up. I couldn't see if there were guys to your inside, if the wind was from the right, but that would have been a viable move. The last turn also, can't see what happened to the right but the left seemed a bit crowded. Was the wind from the right? Tailwind?

The wind was head on on descent, and on curving right from the left. I might need to re-evaluate my rear cassette for this race. I am running 50/34 front 12/27 on back. This allows to stay in big and not shift. Down side on the down hill section I spin out.

At the very beginning you were sitting second wheel and dying to hang on. Second wheel is not a great shelter position - it might have been better to let the guy go and ease back into the field, sit maybe 10th-15th wheel, behind at least a 3-wide bunch of riders. Sitting behind one rider doesn't offer as much shelter as sitting behind a 3-wide bunch of riders, or even 2-wide. Sitting behind more-than-one-wide means you get shelter from the wind even from the sides. At the back you get sucked along, but those roads (yellow line rule not in effect) seem pretty narrow, the pace pretty fast/steady, so I imagine it would have been hard to move up or it'd have increased the chances of getting caught behind a crash if you sat at the back.

Overall I think you did fine, it's just honing your tactics to your strengths/weaknesses. 6th is a great place in a race so you did great. I'd take a 6th any time I could, except the rare occasions where I get better than a 6th. All the wins and stuff you see here on BF are anomalies - a top 6 is a great result.
At the time I thought that break would stick, in retrospect should have let it go. You are right. Only time I have seen break succeed is when one guy would ride of the front, and when gap is formed just hammer. They were also in CAT3s by middle of the season and kicking ass there.
Old 04-09-14, 10:57 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i'm glad those guys weren't seriously injured.

at the crit, a photog jumped on the course just after the start/finish, with 4 or 5 laps to go. i don't know if he thought me and the few riders i was with were off the front (we weren't....just the opposite!), but it almost caused a crash for a meaningless shot. the rider in front of my just rotated off, the photog jumped out, then as i made a move to one side he also moved to that side. it all worked out ok, but not by much.

and all for a meaningless mid-level race at an inconsequential point in the race...for riders who weren't even in a break.
My philosophy when shooting is if I look down and see asphalt and don't see a pylon between me and the course, I'm in the wrong place. Murrieta crit was sketchy because they didn't have pylons after the finish line and so it was tough to know where to be. Turned out going wide into turn 1 was a popular move and yeah, that's where the photographers were. I may bring my own pylons next time.
Old 04-10-14, 05:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
At 5:35? That seems a tad to far from the line. There is still a roller, long down hill, and flat. Before right turn to a down hill, 6:29, we are going in to the wind. So for the final curving right to finish the wind is from the left. I had room? Really didn't seem that way. On a downhill I was spinning out. There was an opportunity at 7, but I think I was still spinning out at that point. Will keep an eye on it next time.
Sorry, my typo. 7:35, which makes more sense. It was just over 20 seconds from the end of the clip. 5:35 would have been a Cancellara kind of move!

I think you're experiencing where a big gear could help a lot. I'd be in a 53x11 minimum on the fast downhills, and if I'd approached this as my A race I might even fit the tandem ring on (55x11). This would give me the ability to rest and recover on the downhills, leisurely pedaling to either hold or make up position, compared to the guys around me spinning like mad. I find big gears especially useful when moving up hard when guys have given up on moving up (so they tend to be less defensive). A few rpm can make a difference when I'm already stressed. On group rides, when I had the 55, there were some specific circumstances where the gear really worked well, typically in the "fast-but-not-coasting-in-a-tuck" type sections.

Even in crits, on relatively flat sections, a big gear can really help punch up your speed. You can shift almost immediately in order to take advantage of the extra time you have on the gear, meaning if you drop your rpm you have more downstroke time on the jump. Of course this depends on your physiology - for me it works because I have good burst power, but if I try and spin a little gear I'm redlined pretty quickly.

Okay on the good sprint, it's hard to convey those things in the few lines of text you can use. As far as the sprint goes recently I've had similar type sprints. I realize now that for me positioning is much more critical than it was before. I used to assume that I could pass 5-10 riders in the sprint and hoped that the good sprinters wouldn't be in front of them (they usually were). Now I don't assume I can pass - I hope but I don't assume. In that kind of situation I'd be focusing on getting the best position, even "sprinting backward" i.e. being too far out and then getting passed. In one race in the rain I did that, I knew I couldn't go from the last turn but I also knew I had to be first through the last turn due to the rain (and my wood-like prematurely aged clinchers). I led out the sprint and got 3rd, which is only one place worse than I ever did in my life on the course. I was disappointed as I crossed the line but the reality was that the 3rd place was probably the absolute max for me that day. Now I'd kill for a 3rd there.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-10-14, 11:57 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Inquisitor.

Ha that's great. The problem took care of itself!

my race videos
Old 04-10-14, 01:10 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what overlay software are you using here? also hilarious.
Old 04-11-14, 02:53 PM
Inquisitor.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
what overlay software are you using here? also hilarious.
I use a Garmin Virb and a Virb Elite camera with Virb Edit software. I love the cameras and the software is easy to use.
Old 04-11-14, 11:59 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by collin2985
Make sure you use the table of contents to skip to the good parts. I positioned myself so well for the sprint, specially considering I started in 60th place and had to maneuver through riders on a tiny single lane and then blew the sprint.

how did you make the battery last 2 hours? did you switch out the battery somewhere in the middle, while you were still racing??
Old 04-11-14, 11:59 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I need to learn that jedi mind trick
Old 04-12-14, 05:53 AM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
how did you make the battery last 2 hours? did you switch out the battery somewhere in the middle, while you were still racing??
I got new batteries recently for my gopro2 and they last around 2 hours and 15 minutes. After 3 months or so they start losing some longevity.
Old 04-12-14, 07:21 AM
Inquisitor.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by collin2985
I got new batteries recently for my gopro2 and they last around 2 hours and 15 minutes. After 3 months or so they start losing some longevity.
One thing I like about the Garmin Virb is that the battery lasts close to 3 hours.
Old 04-12-14, 11:36 AM
ovoleg