Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

On Low Carb / Keto Diets for Track Sprinters

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

On Low Carb / Keto Diets for Track Sprinters

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 10:30 PM
mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thought I'd stoke the fire here on the Keto front.

I'm now on my 14 or 15th week on a strict, ketogenic, calorie deficit diet. Almost at my target weight (almost 30lbs lighter, from a stocky 207 to a svelt 179), but the final lbs are stubborn, although slowly getting there. Thankfully my legs don't seem to be much smaller! Keto = protein sparing!

Has anyone tried using MCT oil to supplement their diet? I just bought some and I'm excited to see if I notice any changes in my energy / weight loss.

Oh, and also, I've modified my keto diet so that I'm on a caloric surplus (only by about 200 calories) on my squat days. Since doing this, my squat is going up, up, up, every week, improving my power-to-weight dramatically, while still losing weight. I've also just started taking creatine every day, and my weight shot up almost immediately by about 5 lbs. I'm reading it's just water weight. Anyone ever experience that?

Also, I'm feeling great on the bike! Won't have any numbers until I get my SRM batteries replaced (hassle).
Old 02-11-15, 11:31 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Creatine is noted for water weight gain. In most folks it diminishes a lot over time but cutting it off completely always seems to drop a couple of pounds.

Supplements are an individualized response. Think bell curve...most people end up with the middle, but there a folks on either side.

If your squat is going up you're going to see some of the numbers up as well on the SRM. Very linear tracking in the 1-5s range. As you push further out it doesn't track quite the same because you start moving into other support systems.