Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pin in the neck and back, wrong frame size?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pin in the neck and back, wrong frame size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 06:43 PM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Pain in the neck and back, wrong frame size?

I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.
Attached Images
File Type: png
1.png (341.2 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by PimpMan; 02-08-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 07:26 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
While your bike may be too small, the pain is caused by your bike being incorrectly set up for you. Go get a professional bike fit. While I'm not generally a fan of them due to too many fitters just relying on generalised systems, in your case, I think it'd be money well spent because it'd get your bike close to 'right' for you. The fitter will also be able to advise on your next bike.
Old 02-08-18, 07:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Mountain bike
Flat bars
Food delivery
15 lb road bike
WTF
Old 02-08-18, 08:48 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.
Hey pimpdaddy it sounds like you know your problem and you know the solution but still you pursue a road bike simply for its weight so what's wrong with you , generally people who start experiencing back problems try to get away from that aggressive stance,you know trying to get upright by converting their bike or just buying another one ,,,
Old 02-09-18, 12:20 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lower back pain can be caused by poor core body conditioning, riding on rough roads with very high pressure skinny tires, having a non-compliant frame / seatpost / saddle setup, among other things. Sizing, wouldn't make the top of my list as to the cause of your lower back pain, but that's just my opinion. Neck pain is probably bars too low, imo.
Old 02-09-18, 04:49 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
'Road bike' needn't mean racer nor an aggressive racer's position. Both my bikes have the bars at saddle height, have stable handling and have me stretched out across them - what some call a 'French fit'.
That may not be the answer to the OP's issues, I've only put this comment in here to counter the 'road bike = racer' thoughts.
Old 02-09-18, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,528 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Mountain bike
Flat bars
Food delivery
15 lb road bike
WTF
Combine that with that name and I think you have your answer.
Old 02-09-18, 06:04 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
[QUOTE=PimpMan;20159059]

Probably not any more stupid than that leaking bag of Jimmy John’s drinks on the rack.

15 lbs and using it for delivery-more time to lock up a high end bike than make the delivery. Plus how to finance a $4000+ bike on delivery wages.

Plenty of information out there on bike fitting, and your LBS or Co-op can help. You should already be familiar with one of them, considering putting all that wear and tear on the bike. Stem length can be make it or break it for neck pain, hard nowadays not to make a good fit without breaking the bank.
Old 02-09-18, 06:54 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Before changing anything on your bike, try taking the "pin"s out of your back and neck first. Those might be causing the pain.
Old 02-09-18, 07:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
8 hours a day is a lot of riding. Every day?

However, my big question is how you're carrying your load? Racks? Panniers? Backpack? Shoulder bag?

Getting the load on the bike may well help some if it isn't already. Lugging down may be associated with low back pain. But, some may also be helped by just giving it time... depending on how long you've been on that delivery schedule.
Old 02-09-18, 07:31 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
8 hours?

a lot of things will probably hurt
Old 02-09-18, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I looking stupid is another problem..
Old 02-09-18, 04:52 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics
You do food delivery but you don't care how fast you go? I'd think you could get more tips if you can get the stuff delivered quicker (especially if it's hot). Make more deliveries, too.

But if you really don't care about top speed or aerodynamics, look for something like a Dutch bike with solid racks. It'll weigh closer to 50 lbs than 15, but you'll be comfortable on it. And if you're using it to make money, don't worry about what it looks like.