Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Abiding hatred for bicycle derailleur drive trains

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Abiding hatred for bicycle derailleur drive trains

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 12:35 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
You may be interested to know that "Disraeli Gears," an album by Cream, is named after Jack Bruce's term for derailleurs. As an engineer, I love them. You need a lateral transfer and a speed change without reversing direction, and you don't have much width available. The Derailleur gives you a whole new path for each ratio, instead of adding a second, power-robbing element. It is also a fairly good use of material, giving a much "stiffer" pedal per pound than a shaft.

I can't remember the last time mine needed attention, but I never haul the bike by car or lay it down.

That said, if you have a trike or a velomobile, you should have a completely re-designed system that could easily include an oil bath, and if cyclists would ever accept a clunky appearance, it would be better there, too. The chain length take-up should be done with larger jockey pulleys arranged horizontally, and the chain guided onto the rear cluster by a simple cage as on the front. It is slack there, and easier to displace. The pulleys can be in a tight-fitting case to keep the chain on even if it is thrown sideways by a trike hitting a bump with one front wheel or odd handling in transit. The take-up case can actually float sideways with the chain, only constrained in other dimensions. The big pulleys are to bend each link through fewer degrees to get through. If the bike will be kept upright, you can put a puddle of oil at the lowest point of the chain and not lose much of it while enjoying great chain life and low friction. The puddle goes onto the chain in use, and then drains back.
Old 11-18-19, 01:51 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Kapusta

Originally Posted by Kapusta
II find rear derailleur drivetrains brilliantly simple, work nearly flawlessly, easy to adjust, light, and efficient.

Road, gravel, MTB, commuting... they just work. Like someone else said, a silent partner.

I gather you do not share my thoughts on the matter
I

Mmmmmm....Kapusta.

I used to love having a big bowl of kapusta , with rye bread!
Old 11-18-19, 02:05 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Kovkov
Derailleurs are a simple but crude way of shifting gears. Bend the chain until it has to go to the other sprocket. They work pretty well in nice weather with friction shifters and 5 or less sprockets on the rear. They make sense in niche applications like racing and mountain biking where weight is believed to be a factor.

For normal everyday riding, commuting etc. IGHs are more suitable. But only Rohloff and SA-AW.
I see you haven’t quite moved into the 21st century with derailleurs😊
Likes For Artmo:
Old 11-18-19, 02:40 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Between the Rohloff Speedhub, Nuvinci CVT, and Pinion gearboxes (combined with belt drive), you have plenty of much cleaner, more self-contained options at your disposal.

Mass-market bicycle design is more focused on light weight, speed, and efficiency, not necessarily convenience and longevity of wear components.
Sell people what they need and you'll probably survive.
Sell people what they want and you can make a pretty good living.
Convince people to want what you're selling and you'll die rich.

Most people focus on the marketing hype but the biggest factor for the mass market is price. Enthusiasts can debate endlessly the relative merits of slightly different products. Buyers only have so much money to spend. The hype is still a factor. They want to get as much as they can for their money. As you hit higher and higher price points your pool of buyers shrinks. Rohloff if truly impressive technology but the mass market is down at the big box store looking at entry level machines priced lower than the LBS could sell at a profit.
Old 11-18-19, 02:46 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Why not go for the original direct-drive... a penny farthing? No messy, complicated drivetrain. A real man's bike, for sure.

Check out this guy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...-farthing.html
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 11-18-19 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For horatio:
Old 11-18-19, 03:25 PM
mad max

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
seen it before

Originally Posted by Old ABLA Member
Derailleur drive trains are putrid piles of pus. They are promulgated by the industry for two reasons: 1. To make your cycling life at some point in the not too distant future dysfunctional, filthy with grease, out of adjustment, worn out and miserable which then sends you to number 2. A bicycle shop or mail order house for new freewheels, chainwheels, cables and housings, and chain. My hatred for this lousy dirty exposed to the elements high maintenance system goes back to the 70's when I first got into bike racing. I've been stuck dealing with this crap system ever since.

I've wanted a drive shaft system with an infinitely variable ratio from say 20inches to 110 inches, with the only adjustment knob on your handlebars being selector of pedal rpms you want to maintain which the infinite ratio adjuster adjusts so that your pedal rpms stay within that general ballpark setting. There would be no visible parts with all the drive train hidden behind protective shrouding in an oil bath.

Ahh! just think about it - no maintenance, you just grab your bike and go, no more roadside filthy greasy hands anymore when the chain pops off, no more cable adjustment of new or stiff cables, no more derailleur screws to finagle with etc.etc.

I've wanted this for the last 4 decades. We could put a man on the moon with the computing power of a modern smart phone but we can't come up with my desired drive train. Why? Because the industry is not willing to put in the R&D to design and tool this because they know they will be shooting themselves in the financial foot. They don't want a bunch of happy cyclists simply doing what they want to do which is just go for a ride and not have to deal with the grief and expense of the derailleur system.

Imagine my excitement about the new Pinion 12 speed 637% gearbox and totally greaseless Gates Carbon Belt Drive. It's not my dream system but it's a huge leap forward. I recently purchased the Priority 600 and am setting it up now. I live on a dirt road and am pretty excited about it.

On my other old primary bike the derailleur drive train is worn out now and slipping under torque when hauling groceries. I'm thinking the next best thing is to have a Nexus multispeed hub on the rear with the perfect chain alignment that a single rear cog gives you, along with no god awful rear derailleur.

They don't call'em derailleurs for nothing - they derail your cycling happiness when they irritate your cycling life.
In the late 1970s I received a mail solicitation for a new type of drivetrain. The freewheel was replaced with an exposed cone that allowed for infinitely adjustable ratios between 130 and 20. It had a driveshaft, and some sort of articulation that slide up and down the cone. The system was built into a road bike The solicitation was nicely presented on heavy 8 x 11 trifold card stock. I think i was on their mailing list as a subscriber to Bicycling. I received the same solicitation again a month or two later. After that, nothing. Never saw it in a store, a catalog, or anyplace else. Anyone else remember that thing?
Old 11-18-19, 09:13 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still having four bikes I still ride with friction shifters and one with Shimano 10sp click shifters, that's just part of cycling and it's cool. Wouldn't want it any other way. A bicycle is a mechanical, not an electronic device.
Old 11-18-19, 11:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I like the concept of modern IGH's & gearboxes but to me it only makes sense when paired with belt drive that eliminates messy frequent chain cleaning. Derailleurs themselves are low-maintenance & with indexing/pins/ramps/shaped chain plates they run quietly & shift smoothly. Now 1x is even simpler. However I'd like to see Shimano etc popularize IGH/belt for commuter & casual bikes, the simplicity & easy maintenance could be a big selling point.
Old 11-19-19, 06:30 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
I see you haven’t quite moved into the 21st century with derailleurs😊
No need, my bikes are from the 20th century and work perfectly
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 11-19-19, 07:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I like the concept of modern IGH's & gearboxes but to me it only makes sense when paired with belt drive that eliminates messy frequent chain cleaning. Derailleurs themselves are low-maintenance & with indexing/pins/ramps/shaped chain plates they run quietly & shift smoothly. Now 1x is even simpler. However I'd like to see Shimano etc popularize IGH/belt for commuter & casual bikes, the simplicity & easy maintenance could be a big selling point.
Huh? Chains are messy and require frequent cleaning, but only when used with IGH equipped bicycles, but are just fine when used with derailleurs? Makes no sense to me.

If you like belt drives - fine, but note that chains are and have been simple and easy maintenance on bicycles equipped with old or new IGHs.
Old 11-19-19, 07:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by mad max
In the late 1970s I received a mail solicitation for a new type of drivetrain. The freewheel was replaced with an exposed cone that allowed for infinitely adjustable ratios between 130 and 20. It had a driveshaft, and some sort of articulation that slide up and down the cone. The system was built into a road bike The solicitation was nicely presented on heavy 8 x 11 trifold card stock. I think i was on their mailing list as a subscriber to Bicycling. I received the same solicitation again a month or two later. After that, nothing. Never saw it in a store, a catalog, or anyplace else. Anyone else remember that thing?
I vaguely remember that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Huh? Chains are messy and require frequent cleaning, but only when used with IGH equipped bicycles, but are just fine when used with derailleurs? Makes no sense to me.

If you like belt drives - fine, but note that chains are and have been simple and easy maintenance on bicycles equipped with old or new IGHs.
Yeah, I don't get this either. It's been several decades since I've had an IGH, but the one clear advantage is you got a whole hell of a lot more miles on a chain before it wore out. For me, having to buy a new chain every few thousand miles is by far the most annoying aspect of chain maintenance. Lubing a chain isn't any big deal, and cleaning on an IGH chain is pretty much limited to running a cloth over it once ina blue moon.
Old 11-19-19, 10:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Agreed. At first glance, belts are much better, but not when you weigh the pluses against the minuses. It's not fair to compare a belt drive with IGH against a chain drive with derailleurs. And as @livedarklions points out, a 1/8" chain is not a maintenance nightmare at all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 11-19-19, 10:35 PM
mtbvfr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Typo? Maybe he was once part of:

Benny looks a little bored.

I'm ABBAsolutely INXSive.
Old 11-19-19, 10:48 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

I didn't mean that, I said "derailleurs themselves" meaning not including the chain. If cost was no consideration I'd put Rohloff-14 w/chain on my touring bike. Rohloff w/chain has some advantages over derailleur but for me those would be marginal & not justify the cost. One of the main attractions of IGH is reduced maintenance; a belt only adds ~10% to the Rohloff price & means a drastic reduction in maintenance time esp for those who are a bit scrupulous about keeping a clean chain.
Old 11-19-19, 11:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
One of the main attractions of IGH is reduced maintenance; a belt only adds ~10% to the Rohloff price & means a drastic reduction in maintenance time esp for those who are a bit scrupulous about keeping a clean chain.
You say "a bit scrupulous", others might say so "obsessed and/or compulsive" about performing chain maintenance and cleaning rituals that the price and hassle of replacement of a belt drive makes sense.
Old 11-20-19, 12:36 AM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, I don't get this either. It's been several decades since I've had an IGH, but the one clear advantage is you got a whole hell of a lot more miles on a chain before it wore out. For me, having to buy a new chain every few thousand miles is by far the most annoying aspect of chain maintenance. Lubing a chain isn't any big deal, and cleaning on an IGH chain is pretty much limited to running a cloth over it once ina blue moon.
Perhaps chain maintenance is not as critical with IGH chains since the straight line means less drag & wear. But with continuous commuting or touring etc a weekly lube-wipe, at least, would seem to be in order. OK, 5 or 10 minutes extra maintenance per week doesn't seem like much but if one is busy or weather is bad that would be nice to avoid. Chain life is not crucial, one can buy 10+ chains for the price of a Shimano Alfiine 8-sp IGH. Belt life is reputedly so good that they're cheaper than chains in the long run. Chains stain clothes & car interiors.
Old 11-20-19, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Perhaps chain maintenance is not as critical with IGH chains since the straight line means less drag & wear. But with continuous commuting or touring etc a weekly lube-wipe, at least, would seem to be in order. OK, 5 or 10 minutes extra maintenance per week doesn't seem like much but if one is busy or weather is bad that would be nice to avoid. Chain life is not crucial, one can buy 10+ chains for the price of a Shimano Alfiine 8-sp IGH. Belt life is reputedly so good that they're cheaper than chains in the long run. Chains stain clothes & car interiors.
When I used IGH to commute through the 1980s, I think my average chain cleaning time was pretty much 0 minutes per week. They just don't really get dirty enough to care on normal road riding unless it's winter.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-20-19, 12:08 PM
dick29662

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange your remark concerning CVT transmissions. Toyota is using CVT's. Honda is using CVT's. They are programmed to act like 6 speeds.
Ask a Toyota driver about their experience. Both are cars that are known for going 225,000 miles with minimal maintenance. There are a few people who have had problems but look at the record for standard 6,7,8,9 speed transmissions. Yes, there are bad experiences when a fast lube jockey puts in the wrong oil. Try the same with any automatic and you will end up in the transmission shop.
When CVT's were new back in the last century there was some terrible trials. They wanted to save money as they do today. Manufacturers had to learn cheap was not cheap in the end. Ask old timers, there aren't many left, about the early automatics in the 1940's. I am one who remembers back then.
Old 11-21-19, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
When I used IGH to commute through the 1980s, I think my average chain cleaning time was pretty much 0 minutes per week. They just don't really get dirty enough to care on normal road riding unless it's winter.
At the risk of turning this into a chain lubrication thread, I spend 0 minutes per week, month or year cleaning chains. The key is to not use lubricants that need constant cleaning. I get about the same chain life as most people report but I just don’t spend a lot of time on chain cleaning. The only time my chains get cleaned is when they are installed. They don’t need cleaned again. These are chains in the dead of winter that had hundreds of miles on them

IMG_0365 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
2013-07-26 08.06.29 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I use a bottled wax lubricant (White Lightning), I get about 700 miles between application and I don’t have to constantly clean the drivetrain. Yes, I have to lubricate after rain but anyone who says that they don’t doesn’t understand how oil, water and chains interact.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-21-19, 11:43 AM
mtbvfr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
The OP is a one time poster and has not returned to this thread.

We’ve been well trolled.
Is possibly from Shimano as they have a new patent for a CVT system which I read about on bike198.com before I saw this thread.
Old 11-21-19, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mtbvfr
Is possibly from Shimano as they have a new patent for a CVT system which I read about on bike198.com before I saw this thread.
Doubtful that Shimano would crap all over derailleurs like that as a bet on something they haven't even demonstrated anywhere.

More likely, the one-shot poster is a guy who thinks he's the first person who ever thought such a thing, then realizes there's umpteen people who know way more about it.

I actually think IGH vs, derailleurs vs. SS is a pretty good thread topic, I've had some laughs, maybe learned a few things, and if it ends in a hug, could be a "very special" sitcom Thanksgiving episode.
Old 11-21-19, 02:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by mtbvfr
It's not a CVT, it's an enclosed gear system near the crank.

Old 11-21-19, 06:53 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Why not go for the original direct-drive... a penny farthing? No messy, complicated drivetrain. A real man's bike, for sure.

Check out this guy.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...-farthing.html
Nah... he'd be doing something if he did it on one of these...

Old 11-21-19, 10:11 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I use a bottled wax lubricant (White Lightning), I get about 700 miles between application and I don’t have to constantly clean the drivetrain. Yes, I have to lubricate after rain but anyone who says that they don’t doesn’t understand how oil, water and chains interact.
OK, & belts don't require any lube. But I'm not saying that chains are horrible, just questioning why spend extra money on IGH/chain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.