Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got yelled at today

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Got yelled at today

Old 05-27-20, 08:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Got yelled at today

I'm riding up a hill, it's steep, one lane on each direction, and the fog line is about a foot from the curb. Which is fine, it doesn't get much traffic.

A line of a few cars comes up behind me, the first one slows down and paces me for a moment. Then takes off again. Very weird.

A lady yells out the passenger side of the next car at me "You're almost there! Keep up the good work!"

I've done this loop before and knew she was lying about being almost to the top, but it's nice not to hear "get off the road." As usual it took a second to register what the person said, at first it's just I'm getting yelled at from a car.
Old 05-27-20, 09:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
It's nice to read a positive story for a change. You probably got some extra oomph once the words registered.
Old 05-27-20, 09:25 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Nice. I thought this was going to be another get of the f'ing road threads. I got one of those the other day But I also got some bikers (motor) fist up hell yeah . That wiped out the other.
Old 05-27-20, 09:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm riding up a hill, it's steep, one lane on each direction, and the fog line is about a foot from the curb. Which is fine, it doesn't get much traffic.

A line of a few cars comes up behind me, the first one slows down and paces me for a moment. Then takes off again. Very weird.

A lady yells out the passenger side of the next car at me "You're almost there! Keep up the good work!"

I've done this loop before and knew she was lying about being almost to the top, but it's nice not to hear "get off the road." As usual it took a second to register what the person said, at first it's just I'm getting yelled at from a car.
i got slapped on the caboose once.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-27-20, 09:36 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

Did you wave?
Old 05-27-20, 10:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i got slapped on the caboose once.
My ex got slapped so hard she almost went down. When she got home there was a red handprint on her butt.
Old 05-27-20, 10:58 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think I got honked at for not wearing a face covering.

Empty, rural road, car was going the other direction- long honk.

Only thing I can figure.
Old 05-27-20, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Did you wave?
I did wave! I think it's against the Velumanati rules to wave at a motor vehicle, but once it registered that some random stranger is yelling encouragement I felt like I had to or there'd be a thread on car forums about how some ahole cyclist who didn't wave.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-28-20, 12:24 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I did wave! I think it's against the Velumanati rules to wave at a motor vehicle, but once it registered that some random stranger is yelling encouragement I felt like I had to or there'd be a thread on car forums about how some ahole cyclist who didn't wave.
Actually, jokes apart, it is nice to encourage positive interactions between cyclists and motorists. If I am hogging the lane for some reason, i always make a point to give a signal to the cars behind me so they know i am aware, and i do peel off and give them space to pass when i can - and add in a wave as thanks.

And as i wrote this post, I just realized that i end up waving more to motorists than to other cyclists....
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-28-20, 02:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Well, they did say they're going to yell at you. We've been warned. It just wasn't what we expected.

I've had similar reactions from drivers -- thumbs up, waves, etc. At least I think those were thumbs. Always a nice change. Not that many overtly hostile drivers here anyway, and lots of recreational cyclists in my area. So we're not really the oddballs.

Thanks, Lance Armstrong, for almost making cyclists seem semi-cool in Texas.

Now Lance will probably yell at me in his new documentary.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-28-20, 07:58 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Nice. I thought this was going to be another get of the f'ing road threads. I got one of those the other day But I also got some bikers (motor) fist up hell yeah . That wiped out the other.
Tuesday night I was riding along a nearby lake and I had a dude on a Harley pull up beside me and hold there for about 30 seconds to keep a DB in a giant diesel pickup from passing me on a hill with no visibility.

Once you could see oncoming traffic he told me to have fun and took off. The truck laid on the horn as they went by of course.
Old 05-28-20, 08:14 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I love it when I get cheered on by passing cars. It’s a nice change!
Old 05-28-20, 08:22 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
People lie about the remaining hill height all the time in running races.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-28-20, 08:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My ex got slapped so hard she almost went down. When she got home there was a red handprint on her butt.
My wife gets harassed way worse than I do. Still, in recent weeks, we've both had drivers tell us to be safe while riding. Which was nice.

I also got called Lance recently.
Old 05-28-20, 08:48 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
IA lady yells out the passenger side of the next car at me "You're almost there! Keep up the good work!"
Better than "Hey Lance, get on the sidewalk".
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-28-20, 08:49 AM
big john

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife gets harassed way worse than I do. Still, in recent weeks, we've both had drivers tell us to be safe while riding. Which was nice.

I haven't been called Lance in ages. In years past I have been spit on, buzzed, coal rolled, hit with bottles and cans and a ball of ice, and squirted with an unknown liquid from a squirt gun. Not to mention screamed at and honked at. All that pales compared to someone hitting my wife by hanging out of a car window. True cowardice.
Old 05-28-20, 09:32 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
All that pales compared to someone hitting my wife by hanging out of a car window. True cowardice.
Maybe time for a video camera.

Some people are animals.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-28-20, 09:51 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I admit to being an angry AH but I try to make up for it by acknowledging courteous drivers and peds whenever possible.
Old 05-28-20, 10:09 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Did you tell them you're no longer doped up or else they'd never catch up to you?
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 05-28-20, 03:02 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I was riding out in the country when a guy on a motorcycle passed me. He then proceeds to slow down to the point I catch him, sticks out his arm and waves me to give him a fist bump. Fist bump done, he waves, I wave back and he speeds up and is gone. Made my day.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 05-28-20, 04:47 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts

I was doing an above-threshold effort through the long main drag of this one housing community near me in an attempt to challenge the KOM. I was doing around 25-26mph and a car pulled up besides me, rolled the window down, and I was expecting to get yelled at. Instead I looked over and the dude gave me a big thumb's up and yelled something apparently encouraging but which I couldn't understand in all the wind and car noise. He was smiling, though. He then sped up and drove on. I'd imagine he was probably a roadie himself, paying his respects.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-28-20, 07:50 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
People lie about the remaining hill height all the time in running races.
I don't think it's a lie -- just they have no clue what "almost there" really means. There's a race I do every year, and there's one spot where spectators tend to gather and they give you the "almost there" bit, but I know it's effing BS because there's a rise between there and the finish that can be really tough.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 05-28-20, 07:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

People "like"-d this more than anything I've ever posted here.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-28-20, 08:42 PM
big john

People "like"-d this more than anything I've ever posted here.
I had neglected to add mine earlier so it's there now.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-29-20, 02:24 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

I like your story! Some years ago, while descending a big long canyon in Utah on my Ti road bike, I was really hitting it hard, carving the corners and using most of the road. It was late in the day and typically no cars. Then, whoops, I realized I had an auto behind me so I behaved and stayed on the white line. He pulled up next to me, put down the passenger side window and I thought, "ok, here it comes..." Yet he yelled, "very cool clinic you just put on there! Neat!" and drove away. I smiled all the way home...
Likes For Fox Farm:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.