Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotel in this day and age

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-14-20, 10:10 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts

My once a year MTB trip is approaching and I am soliciting opinions.
I go to the mountains and stay in a nice hotel. The kind with pools, saunas, whirlpools, the works. It's the one week where I spend the money and do some incredible mountain biking.
My question is; is it worth it this year? Theses hotels are not cheap, but I am also concerned about their facilities being limited due to CoVid.
If they severely limit the number of people in the pool, sauna or whirlpool, I may never get the chance to use them or have long waits.

Is it worth the financial risk?
Old 06-14-20, 10:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Im in Oregon cannery pier hotel https://www.cannerypierhotel.com/ is nicest one in town ..

"is it worth it" questions get the expected reply 'worth it for who'?

how are we who are on this site to judge satisfying your needs?

seek out a Spa place separately then find a cheap B&B nearby..

Old 06-15-20, 03:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Call and ask about the availability of facilities. Maybe people can schedule times. Can’t believe I actually needed to suggest this.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 04:03 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I go to the mountains and stay in a nice hotel. The kind with pools, saunas, whirlpools, the works. It's the one week where I spend the money and do some incredible mountain biking.
My question is; is it worth it this year? Theses hotels are not cheap, but I am also concerned about their facilities being limited due to CoVid.
If they severely limit the number of people in the pool, sauna or whirlpool, I may never get the chance to use them or have long waits.

Is this real life?

People are dying, our country is in shambles, and you're worried about sauna availability, on a MOUNTAIN BIKE trip?

If it's such a big deal just call the dang hotel.
Old 06-15-20, 07:06 AM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Is this real life?

People are dying, our country is in shambles, and you're worried about sauna availability, on a MOUNTAIN BIKE trip?

That pretty much sums it up.
Old 06-15-20, 07:56 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Call and ask about the availability of facilities. Maybe people can schedule times. Can’t believe I actually needed to suggest this.
Always a good idea. I can't tell you how many times I've picked out a particular hotel because of an advertised spa, sauna or whirlpool only to find that it was "closed" for maintenance when I got there.
Old 06-15-20, 08:08 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Luxury in my world during non-pandemic times means I got an Air BnB with a kitchen and bathroom which isn't shared. My standard in the mountains is a tent near a stream just so I can clean up a bit.
This year's 'vacation' is to pitch a tent on my little piece of land I am going to build my little house on someday and pop a couple beers open from the cooler. It's an 18 mile drive but it should be feasible. I may even take the wife along.
Old 06-15-20, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Is this real life?

Judgmental much? And it seems that might think the OP is intending on taking a MTB TOUR. That's not what he describes. What he describes is going to one spot for a week for MTB rides. Nothing wrong with a soak after something like that. Indeed, one could argue that one is more warranted than after a day of road riding from at hotel.

And are we all supposed to stop pampering ourselves because of the pandemic?
Old 06-15-20, 09:12 AM
MarcusT

Is this real life?

My apologies. I did not realize that people were dying on this planet. I guess if I do nothing for the rest of my life, I will contribute to people not dying.
I guess you have not ridden your bike at all since the pandemic started, I am sorry for this. I wish I had the courage to stay at home even when the spike has passed and our numbers are way down, I guess I should wait for the rest of the world to get passed this as well
And to think I was taking vacations during SARS, Mad Cow, the Bird Flu, what shame I should feel.
Ross look around a bit before you start to be the SJW. The best way to re-start the economy is by helping the worst hit business like hotels and restaurants

Last edited by MarcusT; 06-15-20 at 09:16 AM.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-15-20, 09:28 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
IMO I would not stay anywhere but in my house. I have no idea if the people in the room before me where Covid positive. I’m not taking the chance of getting it my self or being asystematic and spreading it to others. If you check the news just about everywhere thAt has relaxed restrictions has seen big upticks in cases. I just don’t feel that jump starting the economy at this time is worth more deaths or sick people. Remember the country did come back from the depression.
Old 06-15-20, 11:12 AM
Ross520

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Judgmental much? And it seems that might think the OP is intending on taking a MTB TOUR. That's not what he describes. What he describes is going to one spot for a week for MTB rides. Nothing wrong with a soak after something like that. Indeed, one could argue that one is more warranted than after a day of road riding from at hotel.

And are we all supposed to stop pampering ourselves because of the pandemic?
That's rich coming from you in-particular..

If it were anyone else I would just agree that, yes, I am judgmental.
Old 06-15-20, 11:15 AM
Ross520

My apologies. I did not realize that people were dying on this planet. I guess if I do nothing for the rest of my life, I will contribute to people not dying.
I guess you have not ridden your bike at all since the pandemic started, I am sorry for this. I wish I had the courage to stay at home even when the spike has passed and our numbers are way down, I guess I should wait for the rest of the world to get passed this as well
And to think I was taking vacations during SARS, Mad Cow, the Bird Flu, what shame I should feel.
Ross look around a bit before you start to be the SJW. The best way to re-start the economy is by helping the worst hit business like hotels and restaurants
Nothing to do with SJW, I'm not saying you shouldn't go, I'm questioning why you're so worried about being pampered when the world is burning.
Old 06-15-20, 11:29 AM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
wow. judgmental.

Is this real life?

judgmental.

what if this guy is an ER doc in a poor community, where he gets modest pay and saves lives of needy people every day? And his colleagues beg him to take a well-needed vacay so he does not get burn-out or start hitting the laughing gas?
Old 06-15-20, 11:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Recent reports indicating that STAYING IN HOTELS OR MOTELS will not be like BC-19. Very possible the NEW NORMAL will be no saunas, no fitness room, no free breakfast buffet, no valet service no - no -- no ----.

I fault not the OP's desire to have a VACATION and to take offense -- -- just seems LUDICROUS SPEED.

BTW, wife and I enjoy DEEP WATER cruising and understand that when the waters open up for us, some RIVER CRUISING has already resumed, everything will be different. There are many who profess that if "wearing a mask IS MANDATORY," they will not cruise. WHATEVER floats or doesn't float your boat. We have already cancelled an upcoming cruise but have other reservations still active. ONLY TIME will tell.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 06-15-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 11:33 AM
Bmach

Originally Posted by PJay120
judgmental.

what if this guy is an ER doc in a poor community, where he gets modest pay and saves lives of needy people every day? And his colleagues beg him to take a well-needed vacay so he does not get burn-out or start hitting the laughing gas?

if he was An er doc, one most likely would not put himself in a position to risk getting infected. Two he would have to be tested before going back to work
Old 06-15-20, 11:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Location says NE Italy, you guys don't even know what continent much less what country he plans to do this trip in.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-15-20, 11:34 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

a bigger question is is it worth the health risk?

Oh I totally get the desire for pools and saunas, whirlpools..... but maybe this year you need to MTB in a local of natural hot springs?
Old 06-15-20, 11:36 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Glad to see the easy offended have not left me hanging in this thread. LOL

At least we know If choosing the pampered vacation you most likely won't be around any buttercup snowflakes melting.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-15-20, 11:42 AM
Bmach

I don’t consider myself a snowflake. Just someone that that does not want to risk getting sick, dying or spreading it to to a family member who might die. I can ride locally and put off a trip (which I did for this summer) until things are safer.
Old 06-15-20, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

That's rich coming from you in-particular..
How so? The fact that I think the OP should call the hotel directly has nothing to do with whether or not the OP should be taking the trip in the first place. I forgot that he is in Italy. IIRC, Northern Italy. I have ridden in Northern Italy twice. (Once in the Northwest and once in the Northeast.) I can imagine how nice what he has planned is. Jealous. Right now I should be climbing Lost Trail Pass from Lake Como, MT, on my way to Idaho with camping in the forest before a short day to Salmon, ID tomorrow.. Sadly, I had to cancel my trip for various reasons beyond my control Otherwise, I would be there right now.
Old 06-15-20, 11:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Nothing to do with SJW, I'm not saying you shouldn't go, I'm questioning why you're so worried about being pampered when the world is burning.
Oh puh-leeeze...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-15-20, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dedhed
Location says NE Italy, you guys don't even know what continent much less what country he plans to do this trip in.
My guess is somewhere in Northern Italy. Lots of beautiful, high-end lake places up that way. Lots of MTB-ing as well. Did some road riding in the Northwest back in '95 and more than a weeks' worth in the Northeast (stayed in Bassano del Grappa) in 2013. If so, I am jealous.
Old 06-15-20, 12:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I would email the place of stay to have in writing if amenities will be limited or under "maintenance" . At least if those areas are off limits or under unusual restrictions once there, you may be entitled to compensation. Most places around by me tell you over the phone that everything is good, but you get there & it's heavily restricted.
Old 06-15-20, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I just don't get why you want to take your bike into a sauna.
Old 06-15-20, 12:24 PM
MarcusT

You must be quite young. The world is always burning.
Being pampered? Why not? We followed the rules and that's why we are in a good spot now. The countries that did not follow the rules are struggling.
So, did you ride your bike while the world is burning?
Likes For MarcusT:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.