Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Climbing on Zwift

Old 01-13-21, 08:22 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Also I just learned that elevation numbers to unlock the Tron bike only count if you're participating in the "Mt Everest" challenge. I'm still on the "Ride California" challenge, so I guess I'll have to finish that one (which unlocks an S-works Tarmac... not a bad prize), and then start in on the Mt Everest challenge.
Old 01-13-21, 08:56 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Pretty sure if you're paring to Zwift via compatible dumb trainer and speed sensor, the "trainer difficulty" setting isn't even available
I was talking about the actual/physical trainer difficulty setting on the dumb trainers, which is often a dial or knob that you can attach to your handlebars.
Old 01-13-21, 09:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
A relentless effort of 90 min or longer is going to be tough on anyone. Climbs like AdZ or Ventoux don't really let up, unlike flatter or rolling routes where you get the opportunity to recover by freewheeling. For AdZ, becoming familiar with it helps, as mentally knowing what to expect makes it feel so much less daunting. Ride it enough (it's great that there's a prize wheel to further incentivize doing so) and it'll eventually become no big thing. Those climbs are great for improving your sustained power.
Spot on...I know a few people who use elevation in their training plan to do 1hr sweet spot or threshold sessions.

Originally Posted by base2
Absolutely, more natural.

Set the trainer difficulty (realism) to 100% for the most real experience. The trainer will grind even the most capable cyclist to a halt if the wrong gear is selected on a steep incline.

If you are spinning a weirdly high cadence on a 15% grade, there is something wrong somewhere & that is why people (myself included) spend the big bucks on a smart trainer. The best ones simulate a 20% grade or more.

The trainer difficulty is effectively scaling the "game" grade down to some percentage to a "trainer" grade & then the game calculates your avatars progress in the game world accordingly. Which can be useful in cases where your real world bike has a 32 cassette, but the trainer has a 28 cassette, you can set the slider to 85-90% & have a reasonably close approximation to the gearing on your real world bike.

What this also means is: If you have it set to zero difficulty, (ie dumb trainer) you are effectively on flat land no matter what the game world shows & you can spin ridiculously fast on stupid steep grades. Realism=0 That's not necessarily a bad thing. It can be useful in it's own right if you'd like to do a climb, but don't have the strength or fitness, or a disability (hand cycle) or appropriate equipment (like a 14-23 cob) but have lots & lots of time to do it.
You have to find the right balance which considers the gearing of the bike you are using and your fitness level. Even the pro's have bikes geared for climbing when doing epic climbs. It makes no sense if your bike is geared a 53/39 - 11/23 to set it at 100% (which effectively replicates those gears) when you would really have a compact 50/34 and 11-32 or 11-34 in the rear if doing it for real.

That's the other thing people need to consider whenever someone says set it to 100%..... chances are they have a bike with compact (50/34) or semi compact (52/36) chainrings and at least 11-30 rear.....It's apples to oranges when someone else is running a standard setup...not nearly the same.

What someone needs to do is find the TD setting that allows them one extra gear to fall back on while they are spinning at sweetspot or threshold power. This ensures that you will stay working, and you will have that one gear to fall back on just in case.

Last edited by jadocs; 01-13-21 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-13-21, 09:56 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Also I just learned that elevation numbers to unlock the Tron bike only count if you're participating in the "Mt Everest" challenge. I'm still on the "Ride California" challenge, so I guess I'll have to finish that one (which unlocks an S-works Tarmac... not a bad prize), and then start in on the Mt Everest challenge.
As a point of information, you can switch between challenges and not lose anything you have already acquired. So if you are going to do a ride with a lot of climbing change to the Everest Challenge, a flat route with a lot of miles use Ride California. Of the three challenges, the Everest is by far the most difficult but offers the best in-game reward. The California and Italy only require miles, the Everest only requires feet or meters of ascent.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-13-21, 10:07 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
As a point of information, you can switch between challenges and not lose anything you have already acquired. So if you are going to do a ride with a lot of climbing change to the Everest Challenge, a flat route with a lot of miles use Ride California. Of the three challenges, the Everest is by far the most difficult but offers the best in-game reward. The California and Italy only require miles, the Everest only requires feet or meters of ascent.
I did the Italian Challenge and the reward was the Pinarello Dogma F8 which I was super excited about. It's my go to bike now of all the bikes in my collection, mostly because i wish I was riding one in real life! I know the Tron bike is the ultimate goal for most, but if you look online there are a few other bikes that are comparable or close to it in performance, weight, etc....
Likes For gthomson:
Old 01-13-21, 10:39 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Originally Posted by gthomson
I did the Italian Challenge and the reward was the Pinarello Dogma F8 which I was super excited about. It's my go to bike now of all the bikes in my collection, mostly because i wish I was riding one in real life! I know the Tron bike is the ultimate goal for most, but if you look online there are a few other bikes that are comparable or close to it in performance, weight, etc....
I can understanding using a virtual bike that you either own or want.

For me I don't think I've used the Dogma F8 yet. Usually for climbing I use the Specialized Tarmac Pro with Millies, for when I think I'm a racer (LOL) the Venge S-works with either ZIPP 808 or ENVE 8.9 all other riding I use the Tron. I'm not sure that wheels make a difference to a guy at my fitness level, I have about 6 million drops to spend, could get better wheels but I doubt it would make me any faster.
Old 01-13-21, 11:52 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
I have read on zwift insider that you must complete the everest challenge for it to count before changing challenges. the climbing must be consecutive to count. so, switch challenges at your own risk, it would be a shame to have to start over.
Old 01-13-21, 01:42 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I have read on zwift insider that you must complete the everest challenge for it to count before changing challenges. the climbing must be consecutive to count. so, switch challenges at your own risk, it would be a shame to have to start over.
Nah, you can always change challenges and keep progress. I switched all the time, including in the middle of riding, depending on how hilly or flat the route was. You're probably confusing what ZwiftInsider was saying, which is that elevation gain only counts for the challenge when it's active.
Old 01-13-21, 06:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
you are exactly right, and i think this is a key part of what a lot of people do not understand. work = power * time.

so, yes, resistance is reduced and so too will power be and consequently speed. it will just take more time to get up and like you said.
You might also be able to put out the same power at a higher cadence with a lower Trainer Difficulty setting. Probably not if you change it from 100% to 50%, though.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-13-21, 07:46 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by genejockey
You might also be able to put out the same power at a higher cadence with a lower Trainer Difficulty setting. Probably not if you change it from 100% to 50%, though.
I feel like i did something dirty if it is not set to 100%.
Old 01-13-21, 09:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I feel like i did something dirty if it is not set to 100%.
Like swapping in an 11-34 to replace an 11-28?

Old 01-14-21, 08:12 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by genejockey
Like swapping in an 11-34 to replace an 11-28?
yeah.
Old 01-14-21, 09:46 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
But the thing about Zwift's trainer difficulty slider is that it affects both uphill and downhill. At 50%, a 10% climb on Zwift would feel like a 5% climb and a -10% descent will only feel like a -2.5% descent. Which may actually be a good thing when racing... but just throwing it out that the cassette swap analogy is only half the story.
Zwift Trainer Difficulty on Descents: Did You Know? - Zwift Insider
Old 01-14-21, 02:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by atwl77
But the thing about Zwift's trainer difficulty slider is that it affects both uphill and downhill. At 50%, a 10% climb on Zwift would feel like a 5% climb and a -10% descent will only feel like a -2.5% descent. Which may actually be a good thing when racing... but just throwing it out that the cassette swap analogy is only half the story.
Zwift Trainer Difficulty on Descents: Did You Know? - Zwift Insider
Good point. In fact just last night I did the Innsbruck Short Lap, which has a big climb and steep descent, at 100%, which meant even though I suffered on the way up, I was able to spin up to 36 mph and use the "Super Tuck" to rest on the way down. That would have been a lot harder at the 50% setting.

Old 01-14-21, 04:33 PM
msu2001la

I did the Radio Tower climb today. I love that mountain route. 18.9 miles, 2240ft of climbing. I banged it out in a little over an hour total, with 30-40 mins of solid climbing.

I ran today's ride at 100% on the trainer difficulty just to see how it went. My previous attempts had been done at 50% and 75%. The bike I use on my trainer is a 1x setup with 42T ring, paired with an 11-32 cassette. So, not super climb-friendly, but not terrible either.

I PR'd the "Epic KOM" today with that setting, and for the most part was riding in the 25 or 28 on that section. My average cadence over that stretch was 77.
The bonus climb section where it kicks up between 10-15% is pretty tough. I was in the 32 the whole way on that and definitely at/near the limit, but managed to keep my average cadence at 76. That bonus climb is only around 10 minutes for me, so I knew I could just grind it out.

When I think about doing longer climbs like Ven-Top or Alpe again, I'll probably lower the difficulty setting back down a bit just so I have some bail-out gearing available if I feel like I'm about to pop. 10 minutes of mashing in my 32 gear is fine. 60 or 90 mins... not so much. This all makes sense to me because there's no way I'd try to do a major mountain climb with a 42T 11-32 gearing. I'd at least want a 39T front ring.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-14-21, 04:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
These "smart" trainers sure seem to need a lot of tweaking. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to ride a smart trainer, so maybe I'll just keep my PM+fluid trainer and turn the pedals over harder when I want to go faster on screen.
Old 01-14-21, 05:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by caloso
These "smart" trainers sure seem to need a lot of tweaking. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to ride a smart trainer, so maybe I'll just keep my PM+fluid trainer and turn the pedals over harder when I want to go faster on screen.
I did that earlier this year, using a video someone recorded of climbing Old La Honda Rd in Woodside, and using my memory of it to adjust the gearing to how it feels at certain points - like the 20% grade on the inside line on that one hairpin - and it works, but it feels strange to shift to a bigger gear when the grade increases.

The thing I like about the smart trainer is that I can just shift like I normally would when the road kicks up, because it gets harder to pedal. Feels more like riding on the road, to me, which I need to stay engaged, if I'm not on the actual road. But you're right, you don't actually NEED a smart trainer.

Then again, I don't really NEED 4 bikes, either..........

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-14-21, 05:51 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I don't bother tweaking the settings on the trainer. It's enough that when I see the road tilting up I know to downshift as the resistance is about to go up. I'm not interested in perfect realism with built-in motors to generate trainer speed on downhills. I'm mainly interested in a workout and don't want to run out of gears while climbing or spin out while descending. There is a 'tuck' mode on zwift but I'd rather keep pedaling. Using the default zwift difficulty of 50% seems to work fine for climbing and descending. At the end of the day all these distractions like shifting or trying to maintain contact with a group just help to make the time go a little faster. I never had much luck trying to sprint on a KK trainer although I suppose it's feasible if you have the right tires and roller pressure. It's a no brainer on a wheel off trainer.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 01-14-21, 10:24 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
If simplicity is a objective perhaps a single speed coaster brake bike when on the road would be a way to go.
Old 01-14-21, 10:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fixed gear is simpler than a coaster brake.
Old 01-15-21, 10:15 AM
msu2001la

Fixed gear is simpler than a coaster brake.
I do all my training on a unicycle. Simplest of all.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-15-21, 10:23 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by gregf83
There is a 'tuck' mode on zwift but I'd rather keep pedaling.
I also recall reading that there is some high-end trainer that actually includes a motor to drive the flywheel on downhills to better simulate coasting. I don't see the point of coasting on Zwift, but I suppose it is more realistic.
Old 01-15-21, 10:25 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I am an absolute Zwift newb using a Zwift compatible dumb trainer. I, too, am a slow climber so the fast cadence I maintain throughout the whole 30min session in a high gear even on the 15% section in Yorkshire is totally counterintuitive to me. That's going to take some getting used to.

For those on smart trainers where the resistance is more like real life on hills, does it feel more natural?

Originally Posted by pennpaul
In my dumb trainer Zwift setup, the program IIRC told me to set my trainer to level 3 (out of 5). Again, total newb question and sorry to hijack this post, but does this setting need to change depending on the course I'm riding or will it always stay there?

When I say hi cadence, I'm talking 80rpm (not high) but it would be weird/impossible for me to be doing IRL 80rpm on a 15% climb in the big gear. IRL it would almost certainly be small/big and me barely crawling along at 40-50rpm. Zwift had me going at 2mph last night. I'm not even sure I can stay upright on a hill at that speed.

I used for over a year a Zwift supported dumb trainer, mine is a Kinetic Road Machine with InRide3. During that year I did a lot of climbing, a lot.

My understanding is that Zwift came up with a formula that calculates power in watts for this and a few other dumb trainers. The formula mimics power readings in watts and the curve takes into account the predictable resistance increase that a fluid trainer produces when the rider increases either cadence or leg power. With this information, the Zwift program calculates the riders speed. On an incline, the rider must increase speed or power (or both) to keep moving forward. The end result is that a rider will need for example 180 watts to move at a speed of say 6 mph on a 8% gradient. The same rider on a flat (0% gradient) road might go 25 mph at that same 180 watts output.

Some riders, myself included, would rather grind away at a slow cadence on a steep incline. To keep moving forward, I might select a steep gear and low cadence. With the increase in the resistance caused by the fluid in the trainer, the combination of the two (steep gear and increased trainer resistance) I would experience a somewhat realistic hill climbing adventure but in a gear that I would never select out in the real world. For example, every single one of my 40+ rides up the Alpe du Zwift was done using the large chain ring.

The only other option would be to use a low gear and spin like crazy to achieve the necessary watts to keep moving. So I conclude that gear selection is a personal thing and for me a high gear works better than a low gear. Of course watts are watts but spend a few months on a trainer using high gears on a trainer then go outside a pull a hill you will at first by instinct select the wrong gear, too high, for the application.

Some here might disagree with me on some of my details or be able to provide additional insights but I think I have the basic theory correct. But this is my understanding of how Zwift works with a supported dumb trainer.

I have since moved on to a smart trainer. It took a little bit of time to get used to using low gears on the ascents. Now I have to use the small chain ring on my trainer which I had hardly had to do with my dumb trainer. With a smart trainer I feel small hills that I didn't know existed out there in Zwift land when I was using my old set up.

All of this is a point of discussion not a criticism of using a supported dumb trainer. Sometimes when logging into Zwift, during the pairing screen, Zwift would recognize my InRide as a controllable device. It isn't of course. Allow me to say that my dumb trainer and Zwift transformed my outside riding. In summary I would say that a smart trainer offers a more realistic ride but since watts are watts, a dumb trainer will achieve a fitness result if the rider does their part.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-15-21, 11:58 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Naw, it's as complicated as you want it to be. If you're really into the numbers your generating then yeah, you can go all out on trying to do the calculation on how to get your trainer to match out what it would be like in real life, but considering I'll probably never climb up Alpe D'Uez in RL I'm not gonna worry about it. With my trainer set at the Zwift default level (50%) the road starts to up and my wheel gets harder to pedal so I gear down like I normally would. I have a standard road bike gear ratio so I go down to the smaller ring for those bigger climbs and spin away.
In the end, the sweat carnage is apparent that I did a decent workout and that's all good.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 01-15-21, 03:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I also recall reading that there is some high-end trainer that actually includes a motor to drive the flywheel on downhills to better simulate coasting. I don't see the point of coasting on Zwift, but I suppose it is more realistic.
I think most folks don't realize how much coasting one does in the course of a normal outdoor ride. It's not just descents, but rather a lot of brief moments, just a couple seconds each, like when you hit the flat part after a climb and just want to rest for a moment, or stand up and stretch, etc. On the road, you slow down maybe an mph or two, so whatever gear you're in is still fine and you just start pedaling again. On my old dumb trainer, if I stop pedalling, it spins down within a couple seconds, and starting to pedal again means pushing whatever gear I was in from a stop. With my month-old Kickr Snap smart trainer, the spin down is MUCH more gradual, so I can stop pedalling for a second and still be in the right gear to start up again. It doesn't quite coast like a real bike on the road, but it's a lot better!

Now, of course, most of that is the flywheel weight, but I don't know of any dumb trainers with that heavy, or that large a flywheel.

As far as descents go, the other night I used the super tuck on the descent from the Innsbruck climb on Zwift to rest my legs after the climb. It is unrealistic, of course, because if you descended at those speeds with no braking you'd die.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.