Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fenders For 27" Wheels -- Recommendations

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-16-21, 09:30 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Just bought a Miyata 215 ST (will update with pics later) intending to use for commuting and possibly occasional touring. I'm having the hardest time searching online for fenders that specifically state they fit 27". I know they exist but most likely have to be adapted from some other size.

It has a rear rack attached. A set of eyelets front and rear (same one the rack is bolted on in the rear), cantilever brakes, seat stay bridge with a hole in the center, and a bridge aft of the bottom bracket also with a mount hole.

The online retailers and manufacturers seem to have written us vintage dudes off..

Any make and models or even better LINKS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Doc James
Old 04-16-21, 09:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Are you running especially large tires? If not, I'd guess that a 700c fender of appropriate width (if plastic) will expand enough to fit just fine. I say this not having ridden 27" for 40 years but all the fenders I've used can be pushed out enough to clear a wheel 4mm further easily. The stays are plenty long and will need to be cut back even for 27".

I'd guess, based on my experience, that the Planet Bike fenders would do the stretch easily. I might go a width wider than the narrow road SKS. My front fits nice and tight on a 25c 700 and is stiff enough that the circle might distort a bit expanding it. A generous shop might let you buy a pair and try them without cutting anything to see and let you return them if they don't work. (and I" am sure you could make them "work"; just maybe not be elegant.
Old 04-16-21, 09:54 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have put VO Zeppelin fenders on bikes with 27" x 1-1/4 tires, and never had a problem. They are easily massaged into a slightly tighter or wider radius depending on what you're doing with them.
Old 04-16-21, 10:04 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
You can compare the approximate size of a 700c vs 27” wheel and tire combination with this site:

https://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

It assumes the tires are equally as tall as wide which isn’t necessarily true, but it’s a start.

A fender large enough to clear 700x37 should have no trouble with a 27x1-1/4 tire.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 04-16-21, 10:06 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I have put VO Zeppelin fenders on bikes with 27" x 1-1/4 tires, and never had a problem. They are easily massaged into a slightly tighter or wider radius depending on what you're doing with them.
Oh man these are nice! A bit pricey compared to many others out there, but they have a really nice, classic look. And I like that they're not plastic! The description actually says designed to fit 700C AND 27" wheels. So many others neglect to point that out.
Old 04-17-21, 12:00 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I’ve always used the 700c Velo Orange fenders for 27” wheels.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-17-21, 02:08 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
SKS Bluemel polycarbonates. I have them on my Univega.
Old 04-17-21, 11:33 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
As others have pointed out anything that fits 700C would fit a 27" wheel, it is that close. I have used polycarbonate fenders from Planet Bike, Blummels and SKS, and Velo Orange aluminum fenders. If I'm going for style, the aluminum fenders win. I like the Zeppelin fender too. For just function and the ability to take a bit of a lickin', the polycarbonate fenders will bend and come back. Both Planet bike and SKS make break away front fender stays. This is handy if something gets caught in the between the tire and fender. The stay will disconnect. Something to consider for touring and commuting.

I had an issue last year on my LeTour with SKS polycarbonate fenders where somehow a stick went through my back spokes and when the wheel turned it brought the stick into the rear stays and bent the fender pretty badly. My fender now looked like an inchworm when it brings it rear close to it's front. I was able to reverse the wheel, remove the stick, get the fender back to shape enough to continue riding. Once home, I was able to get a better fix. I don't know if that could have been done with aluminum.

The LeTour above has 27" x 1-1/4" tires. The fender line fits pretty well. These are SKS fenders on it. I believe that they are called a Hybrid Commuter model. They are shorter in the rear than I would like. Perhaps because there is only one stay in the back, whereas the Planet Bike fender has two per side and has more coverage.

One more note, the SKS fenders have plastic hardware which can and will break in a situation like the stick above. For me, I was able to get a small piece of Delrin plastic, file two grooves into it at the appropriate distance and replicate the original hardware.
Old 04-18-21, 03:12 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with aluminum fenders if you want a classic look. They take time to install correctly, but work so much better than plastic - especially when establishing correct fender lines.

Anton over at Velo Lumino does an excellent write up of fender installation on his blog in a four part series: Part 1

He makes some great products for lighting systems too. No connection, he’s just been a great seller to work with.
Old 04-18-21, 06:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
I've used the VO fenders before and they were beautifully made. One data point though is they were also quite noisy. Every bit of gravel picked up by the tires made quite a bit of racket as they slide around inside the metal fender. Plastic fenders are much quieter in that aspect.
Old 04-18-21, 03:13 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've used the VO fenders before and they were beautifully made. One data point though is they were also quite noisy. Every bit of gravel picked up by the tires made quite a bit of racket as they slide around inside the metal fender. Plastic fenders are much quieter in that aspect.
I kind of like the sound.
Provide proper space between the wheel and the fender and it happens much less often. I have a fender/tire combo that has a pinch point where the tire has to be perfectly positioned and I hear every tiny piece of gravel go through.
Old 04-18-21, 04:14 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
As others have pointed out anything that fits 700C would fit a 27" wheel, it is that close. I have used polycarbonate fenders from Planet Bike, Blummels and SKS, and Velo Orange aluminum fenders. If I'm going for style, the aluminum fenders win. I like the Zeppelin fender too. For just function and the ability to take a bit of a lickin', the polycarbonate fenders will bend and come back. Both Planet bike and SKS make break away front fender stays. This is handy if something gets caught in the between the tire and fender. The stay will disconnect. Something to consider for touring and commuting.

I had an issue last year on my LeTour with SKS polycarbonate fenders where somehow a stick went through my back spokes and when the wheel turned it brought the stick into the rear stays and bent the fender pretty badly. My fender now looked like an inchworm when it brings it rear close to it's front. I was able to reverse the wheel, remove the stick, get the fender back to shape enough to continue riding. Once home, I was able to get a better fix. I don't know if that could have been done with aluminum.

The LeTour above has 27" x 1-1/4" tires. The fender line fits pretty well. These are SKS fenders on it. I believe that they are called a Hybrid Commuter model. They are shorter in the rear than I would like. Perhaps because there is only one stay in the back, whereas the Planet Bike fender has two per side and has more coverage.

One more note, the SKS fenders have plastic hardware which can and will break in a situation like the stick above. For me, I was able to get a small piece of Delrin plastic, file two grooves into it at the appropriate distance and replicate the original hardware.
nice job on the fender lines on this bike. You have a good eye.