Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just got this Peugeot and have no idea what I've done

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-27-21, 09:04 PM
Ayeobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

G'day! i am the new owner of a blue Peugeot Mixte frame bike. listing said 1970, but i have no idea where they figured that from.
I did some searching for help ID-ing it, but i found nothing - excpet some very kind and willing ID-ing of other bikes that arnt the same as this one, apparently.

She's made in france, and has a simplex front derrailleur and the rear is apparently a unit named Sumano Tourney, a vintage item at least.
Serial number on the frame is Y607 01777, which is pretty sweet. Does that confirm 1970? What does it mean, what does it mean?!
There is an issue, though. i do not have a chain stop or guard or whatever on the outside of the drive gears..the chain just derails all over the place. Ill have to refrain from using the front derailleur till i get that resolved. Im pretty sure it needs an adjustment too.

I used to have what i refered to as a 103, but it's not like that was the model. Im glad i got another one, and i can't wait to ride it a bunch!

I gotta make 10 posts before i can post photos... whoops.
Old 04-27-21, 10:40 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Well your Peugeot looks pretty nice (pics in album). I think it is a model uo18. There are typically two limit screws on derailleurs, one for each direction, to prevent the chain overshooting. The adjustment of those is pretty intuitive. The front derailleur cage should be roughly parallel with the chainrings and should travel just above the rings- just a few mm gap. Check that first before fiddling with the limit screws. Enjoy your bike. It's a beauty.
Old 04-27-21, 11:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Nice... This is a keeper.
Old 04-27-21, 11:13 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

cycle looks to have begun life as a model U018

it has been the recipient of a spot o' work

original wheels would have been large flange quick release hubs rather than small flange solid axle hubs

original rear gear mech would have been Simplex Prestige rather than Shimano Tourney

it is slightly later than stated by seller as this transfer set did not exist in 1970, nor 1971, nor 1972

you may be able to read a date on the Simplex Prestige front gear mech; if present it shall be marked on the underside of the body

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-28-21, 07:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
My guess 1976 from the graphics.
the wheels might be original.
these varied by market, note no half chrome on the fork, no chainring guard.

Check the trueness of the chainrings- these were vulnerable- poor storage bent many can usually be adjusted if in trouble.

the front mechanism has two adjustments- one screw on the body for the lower and the cage attachment fastener for the large chainring.
these plastic bodied mechanisms are notorious for cracking without warning. For function I would exchange it if the bike is to be regularly used. Be sure to purchase a mechanism that uses a cable stop for the existing housing.

you did not mention which direction the chain was departing course from.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-28-21, 08:45 AM
Ayeobe

Originally Posted by repechage
My guess 1976 from the graphics.
[...]
you did not mention which direction the chain was departing course from.
Both. it comes off in both directions..

Thank you all for the help so far! also, ive realised it has a mount for an air pump?! ive seen some photos that have the mounts with no pumps, and some fully decked out bikes with them.. Also, do you guys count 5 or 6 rear gears in the photos? im going to have to go count em when i get home..

you have all been super helpful and kind. thank you muchly! i look forward to many hours spent on this beauty
Old 04-28-21, 09:23 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
For age I agree with repechage , but it does depend somewhat on where you are located. What is interesting is that it appears to be based on the AO series (AO-18? AE-18? I thought the xE series came with fenders and lights and the xO series did not) due to the lack of chrome fork socks, no quick release, the low flange hubs and lack of chainguard. And I had not seen genuine Mafac half-hood brake levers with both the turkey levers and the plastic hand grips..... I think you will find this a very enjoyable bike to both clean up (which is all it really appears to need) and to ride.
Old 04-28-21, 09:30 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 148 Posts
Pic assist (more in OPs gallery)

Old 04-28-21, 09:54 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The S/N indicates July 1976 manufacture. It could be either an A018C or U016C, as the Canadian market changed the model designation of the base model sometime in the late 1970s and my documentation for this era is incomplete.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-28-21, 10:08 AM
juvela

-----

would expect the cycle's gear block to be a five cog

---

wheels -

one of the things which made me think wheels replacements was the spoke protector

in small format of photo it appeared alloy to my eye

after enlarging image can see it is chromed steel as one would expect with a Peugeot bicycle

---

the MAFAC brake levers with extensions appear to have been achieved with the adaptor hardware kit from Bicycle Research Products -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-28-21 at 10:14 AM. Reason: correction
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-28-21, 11:44 AM
Ayeobe

Loving the feedback so far.. i am hoping to ride tonight, though i dont even have a helmet yet. the sky is quite gray, though, so i hope it does not rain.

ill look at the derailleur if it does rain.
I have an itch to get out of work immediately and ride all afternoon..but i have not ridden since about 2009. not sure i can do a whole.day like i used to!

Edit: its raining. Well.

Last edited by Ayeobe; 04-28-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-28-21, 03:27 PM
juvela

-----

dating note -

since cycle may be model A018 rather than U018 wheels may be original

possible they may carry a date

rims are likely to be Rigida SUPER CHROMIX

near the marking of the name on the wheel rim there is a small diamond symbol

this may carry a two digit number inside

if present, it indicates year of manufacture

here is an illustration showing the Simplex Prestige front gear mech marking mentioned earlier -

-----
Old 04-28-21, 03:49 PM
markk900

Originally Posted by Ayeobe
Loving the feedback so far.. i am hoping to ride tonight, though i dont even have a helmet yet. the sky is quite gray, though, so i hope it does not rain.

ill look at the derailleur if it does rain.
I have an itch to get out of work immediately and ride all afternoon..but i have not ridden since about 2009. not sure i can do a whole.day like i used to!

I assume based on T-Mar 's comment and your indication of the rain that you may be in Canada! Ontario maybe? Anyway looking forward to your ride review.....
Old 04-28-21, 07:21 PM
Ayeobe

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

dating note -

since cycle may be model A018 rather than U018 wheels may be original

possible they may carry a date

rims are likely to be Rigida SUPER CHROMIX

near the marking of the name on the wheel rim there is a small diamond symbol

this may carry a two digit number inside

if present, it indicates year of manufacture
-----
Thank you very much, the rear wheel says 76 im pretty sure (the top of the 6 is really close to the o, so it kind of looks like 70)
the front wheel has the size and says 1976 on it!

I assume based on T-Mar 's comment and your indication of the rain that you may be in Canada! Ontario maybe? Anyway looking forward to your ride review.....
I am in Quebec, infact. I tend to go to Ottawa often enough, though not recently, as you can probably guess..

im hoping to review this tomorrow! Speaking of which, as i said, if it would rain, i'd adjust the front derailleur..which, it did, and i have!
I am adding photos to my album now, maybe ill be able to link and post 'em soon.
I've yet to give it a proper test, owing to the rain, but it SEEMS to derail from one gear to the other, and not off on ither side, and it seems to sit well centered, so that the chain does not rub, but i could not shift the rear properly so i may need re-adjusting for it to not rub when in the lower gears in the rear.

at any rate, i should have a helmet and clear skies tomorrow, so ill be spending most of my evening (til 8pm, for now) roaming around figuring out how long it takes me to get tired.

Thank you all again for your extensive knowledge and kindness...
i may be asking more questions soon, because there are two other Peugeots i have my eye on, and one is 175$ and a "12 speed", which may be very interesting indeed.
Old 04-30-21, 08:19 PM
Ayeobe

Welcome back to some dude tries to mess with a bike for the first time in 12 years, and a forum for the first time in ?? years.

I made posts yesterday thinkin i could mingle, learn and insert commentary on a few topics and then come back here and make a post with photos, knowing i have a limited amount of posts i can make in a day..
Well, that didnt go well, because i ran out of posts. Editing counts as a post, it seems, so i ended up unable to make my grand review of the bike while my legs were still warm from riding 12km.
Actually, i did make the review, but i could not post it...so i copied it and didnt paste it anywhere, then i copied a photo or something and now its gone forever. RIP, no one ever even got to see you.

OK to the point of the matter!:
I rode a bike yesterday for over an hour, for the first time since about '07, and i enjoyed it way, way more than i thought i would (and my expectations were pretty high, too)
The bike is a beauty, and a joy to ride. I could not get to high gear because of some derrailleur issues ive yet to reslove (or know about till that point) so i didnt get to go faaaast, but honestly, first ride, a bit of the wobbles, and old tires have me thinking that it was for the best. That bring said, low gear up front and 4th of 5 in the back had some decent speeds and plenty of fun, and i barely had to shift down for smallish hills.
The bike can roll for days, and even though i found some fancier Peugeot-style period correct wheels with brand new tires and the big hubs with quick release and ... anyway, they sold in an hour... but even though i was going to get those, these wheels ARE perfectly acceptable..Really could have used those tires though..and they were selling for 40CAD. A steal, i think?!

Despite that crushing dissapointment, i really wish this darn rain would stop, because i swear i'd have been out biking instead of in stuffing my face with salad and watching MotorTrend if it were nicer out..

Anyway, a condensed version of my ride yesterday would be: The bike rides great, though i still need to deal with the gear shifts being horrid, and also, the brakes are super loud. I find that quite unbearable. Other than that, i had a blast, and am super glad i bought the thing. There are many many more bike paths around the area here than when i used to ride, and the one that was always there was pretty sweet..and still is! As you can see in the photos below, it is by a river, and honestly goes on for miiiiles. I can't wait to ride more!

I am currently debating on wether or not to remove the back rack. i have my old reflector for the rear that mounts on the side along the frame, so i'd install that.. (and i plan to)
also, i need wheel reflectors. Ideally oldschool ones.

Tomorrow its gonna be nice out.. im thinking im going to put quite a few more km on the bike, clean it and wash my cars.. gonna be a great day

Now, PICS:

1976! (i did not have my phone yesterday when i looked)

One of my cars, and my bike, right before i took off for the ride

Look at that pretty contrast stitching! It's not much for comfort, but it sure is nice to look at

I really wanted to grab some ice creme, and i was wondering if i'd even make it this far... i went on to ride another 40 minutes

It has been far too long since i last took a photo by the river!

She dont wana drop past 4th.. what do i do, doc? I have no idea how to adjust this..
Old 05-01-21, 06:06 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts

She dont wana drop past 4th.. what do i do, doc? I have no idea how to adjust this..
It could be as easy as loosening the high limit screw a little bit. If that doesn't do the trick look at cable tension, old cable friction, kinks, etc.
Old 05-01-21, 08:14 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Dump some wd-40 in the derailleur pivots and springs and manually work back and forth. You may need to lube up the cable friction points also.
Old 05-01-21, 08:41 AM
juvela

-----

model designation -

checked the online available catalogues of this date without locating an example of an A018

kept looking and found this Canada market brochure of 1979 (closest date found for a Canada market material to the cycle's 1976 birth date)

it has this page for a model termed the U0 16C "SPORT" -

next to it in the brochure is a nearly identical model save that it exhibits an upright bar; this is termed the model U0 16 "SPORT" -

for comparison, here is a Dutch market catalogue page of 1976 for the UE 18 model -

-----
Old 05-01-21, 09:00 AM
markk900

juvela Great sleuth work as usual. I seem to recall that by 1979 they had gone to cotterless cranks across the line, so that difference is accounted for.

Ayeobe To get rid of the small amount of rust on your rims, try the very inexpensive method of aluminum foil and a lubricant (I use WD40, some use vinegar); ball up the foil lightly and use it as a buffing pad with the lubricant and you will be amazed at how well the chrome responds. The screeching brakes are a MAFAC brake characteristic: new pads plus adjusting the "toe in" can eliminate pretty much all of the screech. You can look up how to do toe in, and yes it involves using an adjustable wrench in a seemingly inappropriate way!
Likes For markk900:
Old 05-01-21, 01:22 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
That just means you need fenders...

Likes For polymorphself:
Old 05-01-21, 03:47 PM
Ayeobe

You all do such great work.
The mystery remains, how come i have air pump brackets?
Also, a clear way to reslove this, is obviously to aquire an air pump.

I went for another ride. Did just shy of 14km today.
Tomorrow if i go any where ill need to take it easy, my legs are quite tired now.

I went to a bike shop to ask about tires. They said there are no 27x1 1/4 around.. so uhh if anyone has some..mine are about ready to fly to peices
I'd quite like some white-beige sidewalls..
Another thing they said was that my seat post was basically backward. that is to say, where the seat mounts was toward the front instead of the back. I've resolved that, and i gotta say it's much more comfortable now!

One thing ive noticed is that there are a few spokes that are loose.. like one or two up front and one or two in the back. Not sure what i can or should do about that..

In better news, i FINALLY got the bike to shift through all gears fairly well with out shooting the chain off the cogs. i imagine it could be better..but it'll do just fine. i can't wait to ride with all gears and a proper seat!

I also got a reflector and 'Jagwire' pads at the bike shop..i installed the reflector, but boy does it throw the wheel off balance..
Originally Posted by polymorphself
That just means you need fenders...
That bike is very nice.. i actually really love the look of the chrome fenders. Especially with the mud guards at the bottom, flappy style, up front. No idea why..

Anyway, pics!: (pics soon to come.. dosnt work too well from the phone?!)

I love this lil spot, it looks like its up north but it's 5km from my house

Needed a break.. may aswell use that rack for somethin eh?

The reflector and pads i got..

as you can see, quite backward indeed!

I tried to bring all this back to zink or brass but its not dirty, the coating has come off.. im going to, perhaps, brass and clearcoat it.

Lookin good in the sun!

I love this detail work..

Old bike shop? i wonder if they're still around..

Last edited by Ayeobe; 05-01-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-01-21, 03:48 PM
juvela

-----

mudguards on a cycle operated in the land of aridity?!?!

perhaps fitted to keep the gila monsters one runs over to get thrown up and slap one in the face...

-----
Old 05-01-21, 04:40 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Don't feel bad. You're not alone with no 27 inch tires to be found where you are.

Wal-Mart Canada and Canadian Tire no longer list them on websites. My son works at CT and was told they were no longer ordering 27 inch tires. I personally can't find any 27s for sale here. You might watch for sales in USA or UK and order 4 so you have spares for the future.

Alternatively you could consider 700c rims and switch over..

Last edited by WGB; 05-01-21 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-01-21, 07:45 PM
Ayeobe

I just went around ebay and found some pretty decent tires at good prices but then obviously shipping is pretty steep.. they're all in the UK
Or, amazon has a few, but none on Prime and they end up even more expensive or similar and are china specials...
Oh well, this is nothing im un-used to. I own a car with 185/70R13 or 195/60R14 H rated tires... and those are not the only difficult to find parts. This is basically my life. It's been a pleasant experience owning a Ford F-series pickup from the 70s, though. Despite being a lot heavier duty, the parts are cheaper and much easier to come by.. it's almost confusing to me hah
Old 05-02-21, 06:35 AM
markk900

Ask your local bike shop if they can order in Panaracer Pasela in the ISO 630 size. They are a medium priced tire that I really like. If you are considering ebay or europe for tires you would be better trying to support local.

I used to get the Kenda/CST nylon tires at Crappy Tire when I needed 27" fast/cheap so I am sorry to hear they are dropping them. I guess I didn't buy enough. My local bike shop has the same tire branded Evo Corsair in the 27" size, so if you are on a budget ask your LBS for these instead.

Edit: I had to sell my early 90s F150 a number of years back - my first and only Ford and I really liked it. 5speed, straight 6, and as you say parts were easy to find and cheap (except for the damn ABS controller - I tried just removing the bulb so the fault wouldn't show but Ford actually put in an alarm for that specific bulb failure.....)

Edit 2: while biketiresdirect.com is in the US, they have some OK tires for $20 each and even with shipping you are still under $100USD to Canada. They have some more expensive ones that fit as well.

Last edited by markk900; 05-02-21 at 06:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.