Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best cheap full coverage sunglasses?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

best cheap full coverage sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 02:31 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What does that mean to you?

I just use tinted safety glasses for cycling. They wrap around somewhat and fit nicely. Mine also have readers on them so a tad more expensive:

Pyramex V2 Reader Bifocal For normal daytime going from sun to shadows.

Radians Rad-Sequel RSx Bifocal with Coffee Lens For really sunny conditions. But a little dark if you are going from sun to shadows often. Unless your eyes are younger and react quicker to the change.

If you don't need the bifocal they are even cheaper.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safety-sunglasses/

You can buy them by the gross and throw them away each ride. <grin> However using a cotton cloth to clean them, they'll last for a year or more. Use a paper towel and they be scratched up in less than two weeks.

Clear works well for twilight and night rides to keep the wind from drying your eyes.
you just cost me $23... I bought 2 pair
Old 04-30-21, 03:35 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Ever since I had a stone come off a car tire and break my glasses, I only wear safety glasses with UV protection from Home Depot.

They’re inexpensive, lightweight, and look good.
Old 04-30-21, 09:17 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Kroops are about 11 bucks if you find a good evilbay snag.

i got 3 pair, two tinted and one clear for twilight rides, very comfortable , vented,

then i got some Rainex anti-fog for cleaning them before each ride.

make sure you et the jockey goggles, not the bicycle goggles
For $11 bucks brand new for Kroops? I would have to think that those might be counterfeit, if you ever have a warranty issue that's when you'll find out for sure. Ebay sells a lot of counterfeit stuff as does Amazon nowadays, with Amazon though you can ask the community if the item you are buying is coming from an authorized retailer, if not you won't have a warranty, with Ebay you probably won't get a response.
Old 05-01-21, 07:55 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Personally, ever since I found a helmet with a magnetically attachable sun visor I'd never go back to regular sunglasses.

So much better coverage than regular sunglasses, and I can wear my regular glasses underneath the visor.
Old 05-01-21, 09:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I use these and love them. Cheap but well, and purpose made for sports including cycling. Excellent coverage and have UV lenses. The best part besides all the lenses is they include an insert for prescription lenses if you need them. https://www.amazon.com/COMAXSUN-Pola...EBS6EE0ZBNG9TD

Old 05-01-21, 01:20 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I use safety glasses from an industrial supply company I work with regularly. They are like the ones August West posted but I have them with bifocal lenses . They cost about six dollars a pair and I buy a few pair at a time. They are light and fit well in my helmet with zero discomfort. The ones I buy fit my face perfectly so my eyes don’t water even in colder weather
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-01-21, 01:49 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
Personally, ever since I found a helmet with a magnetically attachable sun visor I'd never go back to regular sunglasses.

So much better coverage than regular sunglasses, and I can wear my regular glasses underneath the visor.
But in rain, it will go right down into the "visor"
Old 05-01-21, 05:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
My experience: cheap sunglasses are false economy, as they offer poor fit, poor optical quality, and then break more easily and quickly.

I typically buy high-end sunglasses (like Oakley - try Amazon for better prices) and get many years of heavy use out of them. I think I've had my oldest pair of Oakley riding shades for about five years, and they are still going strong.
Old 05-01-21, 10:19 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Oh, do I recognize Shanghai? I did a two week China trip just before Covid struck. But back on topic - what is the helmet/shield combo?

edited to add: whoops replied to the wrong person and I see that it is Shanghai!!
Old 05-02-21, 06:58 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by kahn
Oh, do I recognize Shanghai? I did a two week China trip just before Covid struck. But back on topic - what is the helmet/shield combo?
This is a helmet shield combo, you've seen these around on cyclists haven't you?

Sorry I couldn't resist, but that helmet would look cool riding around on a bike with, though it maybe a bit heavy. Actually he's referring to this:

Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-02-21, 07:37 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
I suppose that's possible, but it'd have to be pretty heavy rain for that, as it doesn't happen with light rain. If the rain was that heavy I just wouldn't be riding anyway.

Originally Posted by kahn

edited to add: whoops replied to the wrong person and I see that it is Shanghai!!
Yes, I live in Shanghai. Lived here for nearly 14 years now.

The helmet is one I bought from Taobao, an online marketplace website in China. The brand is Eroade. Giro also makes a similar helmet, but it's much more expensive. The visor is magnetic which is really nice because you can replace it or choose not to use it. I also have a yellow visor which is nice for cloudy or rainy weather, as well as nighttime riding.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 05-03-21, 09:13 AM
jszollo

Bikes: Marin, Specialized, Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tifosi are decent for the price.
Old 05-03-21, 11:13 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by jszollo
Tifosi are decent for the price.
I've had two pairs of those Tifosi glasses, the lenses are cheap to replace unless you get the photo jobs, but they scratch extremely easily, I've never had a pair of glasses scratch as easily as the Tifosi lens do, not even cheap $10 safety glasses that I treat like crap!!!
Old 05-03-21, 11:55 AM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
As a retired Ophthalmologist, eye health has always been a concern of mine..
Cosmetics aside, any tinted sunglasses dilate your pupils, allowing more harmful light into your eyes, which hastens both cataract formation and macular degeneration. Both are leading causes of vision loss.
Make sure the glasses you wear filter out any light radiation below 400 nanometers. Price does not always equal quality in glasses ,as the profit margin in that industry is huge. However my opinion is don't be penny wise and dollar (health) foolish.

"UV400' refers to UV rays at the top end of the UV spectrum, up to the 400-nanometre wavelength. Sunglasses with this level of protection block an even wider spectrum than the CE and British Standard models, making them the ultimate protection for your eyes."
Likes For bfaIllini:
Old 05-03-21, 04:33 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
It’s always best to save as much/spend as little as possible on eye protection, helmets, seatbelts and birth control. I read it on the internet.
Beat me to it. Glasses is NOT the place to cheap out. I bought a pair of Oakleys with their brand prescription lenses. Not cheap, but I haven't regretted it for a single day.
Old 05-10-21, 10:39 AM
jpjuggler

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
finally tried the kroops jockey goggles that i bought yesterday. pros: good full coverage, no fogging due to little holes in lens.$27 plus shipping. Cons: not as comfortable as sunglasses, but additional benefit is eyes fully protected from the wind/pollen and as a result much less affected by hay fever. Overall very happy with the purchase and grateful for the reccomendation on this thread.
Likes For jpjuggler:
Old 05-10-21, 10:44 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I use these and love them. Cheap but well, and purpose made for sports including cycling. Excellent coverage and have UV lenses. The best part besides all the lenses is they include an insert for prescription lenses if you need them. https://www.amazon.com/COMAXSUN-Pola...EBS6EE0ZBNG9TD
Thanks, I will give these a try.
Old 05-10-21, 12:16 PM
fixinbikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just get disposable walmart sun glasses. You are going to break them anyway and they all protect your eyes the same.
Old 05-10-21, 12:16 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I've been using a pair of Bolle Rogue glasses. They're ballistic/safety glasses and come with three lenses (although not that easy to swap) and were $30. I originally got them late last fall to have something with clear lenses in low-light riding but like them well enough that I've been using them with the tinted lenses as well.
Old 05-17-21, 07:40 AM
jpjuggler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i just bought these as recommended here in this thread. it says they are uv 400. hoping that's true. so far very happy with the purchase.
https://www.amazon.com/COMAXSUN-Pola...EBS6EE0ZBNG9TD
Old 05-17-21, 12:11 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Not sure what "cheap" means but Tifosi is a good bang for the buck.

Yep- have a couple of pairs

Pit Vypers are getting traction too thanks to theit aggressive social media marketing and colorful 80's chic coloring - but i havent tried them yet , just an observation
Old 05-17-21, 12:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Not sure what "cheap" means but Tifosi is a good bang for the buck.
I'm about a month into a pair of Tifosi glasses grabbed during one of their sales - black Davos w/ amber photo lens. So far, my only complaint is that they fog up a little easier than I'm used to. I suspect that the frame on the bottom edge is hindering ventilation more than my previous Oakley M-frames. Other than that, I'm happy.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-17-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-17-21, 03:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Roka.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.