Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has Cycling Clothing Sizing Gone Bonkers?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Has Cycling Clothing Sizing Gone Bonkers?

Old 05-16-21, 06:52 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
6', usually run between 160 and 165 lbs, although age has been pushing the upper limit. I have been a medium - large in every kit I've worn for a decade, domestic or foreign. I have four pair of Assos bibs, and the mediums fit better than the one pair of large.

With that in mind, I ordered a pair of Dotout in medium last year. Poked my thumb through the fabric trying to get them on the first time. My wife patched them and, as long as I'm careful putting them on, they are a great ride. Ordered bib tights and bibs in the same brand in large. Both need to be peeled on, just like the mediums. Not sure they make a pair big enough for me.

Almost all of my jerseys come from events I have ridden. My wife balks at the thought of actually buying one when there are twenty of them in my drawer. The Primal stuff - which is often the supplier of choice in Colorado, fits great in a medium.

Moral of the story if there is one - this seems to be a trial and error process.
Old 05-19-21, 06:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I don't see that overall sizing has changed all that much. That said, our club used to get our club jerseys from Louis Garneau. Until some whiner laid out jerseys from 5 successive years (all L) and showed that the jerseys were shrinking a bit each year. LG denied it but the picture was undeniable. They'd lost over a full size in that 5 years. Shortly after that we stopped using them even though they had very good pricing.
Old 05-20-21, 06:46 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
I too just can’t find jerseys that fit so refused to wear them for the longest time and going with t-shirts. Once warmer weather hits the t-shirts get soaked so I really needed to find a cycling shirt that fit comfortably. What I did was find 4 shirts on eBay that fit my shoulders and chest and then had them shortened and hemmed in the length.
I’m not an out of shape couch potato as I can do a century pretty much anytime I choose to but I’m not built like the model cyclist.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 05-22-21, 03:26 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Strange, my regular suppliers of moleskin trousers, Harris tweed jackets, covert coats and cokes (bowler hats to those not 'in the know') are more than able to outfit my expanding parts.
Old 05-22-21, 04:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Last year I ordered a L size jersey that would be tight on a 14yr old. Insane.
Old 05-24-21, 12:21 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Jersey sizing is all over the map. It depends not only on the cut, but the manufacturer, and even the country where it is likely going to be sold.

I bought a size L jersey in Slovenia and it barely fits me when I am in shape, and I am no Clydesdale. Right now, my "fat" jerseys are getting a lot of use.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-24-21, 12:37 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Bikes: Bianchi Caurus Proto frame that needs tlc and re-equipping with difficult to source parts that I cannot afford!

The most stylish cyclist ever, the late, great Sid James:

Likes For OlderNotWiser:
Old 05-25-21, 05:21 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Even the jerseys that I could squeeze into a few years ago don't fit me now after gaining more than a few pounds. And the other thing that I always notice is that they are too short. We are all bent over on our bikes and they never cover the crack.
Old 05-25-21, 05:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Even the jerseys that I could squeeze into a few years ago don't fit me now after gaining more than a few pounds. And the other thing that I always notice is that they are too short. We are all bent over on our bikes and they never cover the crack.
Hmm. I don’t seem to be having problems getting kits that fit. These are size medium:

Old 05-27-21, 07:57 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
At 5'9" and 125 pounds, I can finally fit into bike clothes. I have been slowly replacing my street clothes with smaller sizes. My husband doesn't understand. He can't see why I can't just wear things that are 3 sizes too big (until my pants fall down). He figures, if he can physically squeeze his body into something and nothing essential hangs out, it is fine. I guess I'm supposed to wear a tent because I used to be bigger.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 05-27-21, 08:46 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
At 5'9" and 125 pounds, I can finally fit into bike clothes. I have been slowly replacing my street clothes with smaller sizes. My husband doesn't understand. He can't see why I can't just wear things that are 3 sizes too big (until my pants fall down). He figures, if he can physically squeeze his body into something and nothing essential hangs out, it is fine. I guess I'm supposed to wear a tent because I used to be bigger.
I was reading up on LIV and how the company started because the CFO of Giant Bike Co. was frustrated that no bike clothing and bikes fit woman very well. Her story is interesting: https://totalwomenscycling.com/lifes...cling-industry

Old 05-28-21, 01:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't see that overall sizing has changed all that much. That said, our club used to get our club jerseys from Louis Garneau. Until some whiner laid out jerseys from 5 successive years (all L) and showed that the jerseys were shrinking a bit each year. LG denied it but the picture was undeniable. They'd lost over a full size in that 5 years. Shortly after that we stopped using them even though they had very good pricing.
Were they all the same style and cut? Garneau, Pearl Izumi and others make a variety of jersey styles in various cuts, lengths, etc. A medium club fit jersey won't be the same length or fit as a medium aero or race jersey. That's normal.

I have a few PI aero race fit jerseys in medium that fit me perfectly... if I'm wearing bibs. The cut is short, intentionally.
I have no preference between bibs and shorts and often wear padded shorts for casual rides, so I have casual fit jerseys with longer tails for that. The Garneau Lemmon 2 may be the best summer weight jersey I've ever found. Ultra thin, soft, well ventilated, wicks sweat perfectly, fits closely but not snugly and doesn't ride up.
Old 05-28-21, 07:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
At 5'9" and 125 pounds
Is that your target weight? 5'9" 125lb is a BMI of 18.5, at the low end of the healthy range (18.5-24.9).

Old 06-10-21, 09:22 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Is that your target weight? 5'9" 125lb is a BMI of 18.5, at the low end of the healthy range (18.5-24.9).
No. Weight loss was unintentional. Can't seem to gain.
Old 06-10-21, 05:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
Most of my cycling clothes are either M or L. I’m 6’1 and vary from 165 to 180 lbs depending on how much I starve myself. If I buy anything described as race fit, I usually just go up a size and don’t seem to have any issues.
Old 06-14-21, 02:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Us "full figured" riders with aero bellies shouldnt be wearing lycra anyway. My wife would point and giggle.
Old 06-14-21, 05:00 PM
OlderNotWiser
Ageing Warrior

Originally Posted by rydabent
Us "full figured" riders with aero bellies shouldnt be wearing lycra anyway. My wife would point and giggle.
My wife would take pictures, send them to her 2,000 Prosecco drinking friends who are just as evil as she is so that they will all be pointing and giggling. For months!
Ps. I love my wife and all of her evil, barmy friends because I love them too but they are all still evil!!
Old 06-14-21, 06:27 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
And AeroTech sizing caters to real cyclists, which is 95% of us.
LOVE Aerotech designs!!!!

With the cheap but good Chinese no-name/weird-name jerseys, it's all guesswork. I usually buy small or medium in those oddball shorts like Przewalski, Spotti, BBBppptttiii or whatever the heck names they come up with from falling face-first onto the keyboard. But with Black Bibs I get medium.
right, you really never know!!! the Asian people are typically much smaller than americans are!
Old 06-30-21, 09:34 PM
BianchisOnly

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Nuova Racing 12 Vel, 1985 Bianchi Centenario, 1988 Bianchi SuperLeggera, 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV (Ultegra), 2017 Bianchi Infinito CV Disc (Red eTap)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
6' even, between 185 and 190 - I've given up on anything other than XL (except Castelli, which I would probably need a 2x or 3x!). Way back in the 80's I had some jersey's from Vigorelli (Second Skins) - I'm not sure I'd get those over my head now!

My gripe is the length of shorts these days, especially Voler which our club uses. If I go with a Voler large, i feel like I need to grease my body to get them up. If I go with an XL, the grippers on the bottom are hanging (not gripping) at the top of my knees. I have no issues with PI, Garneau, or Sugoi shorts in XL, but even then I can see that lengths have increased an inch or more over the last 10 years or so. I guess it's the trend, but I like my shorts a bit shorter, please. I worked hard for these sculpted legs, darn it, stop hiding them!
Old 07-03-21, 11:03 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by OlderNotWiser
My wife would take pictures, send them to her 2,000 Prosecco drinking friends who are just as evil as she is so that they will all be pointing and giggling. For months!
Ps. I love my wife and all of her evil, barmy friends because I love them too but they are all still evil!!
Women love MAMIL's
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 07-04-21, 07:41 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Just turned 51 and getting back into cycling after about a 8 year break. I've put on about 20lbs and the old jerseys don't fit any more. Not fat, just not as slender as I used to be. Used to wear the whole racing kit, now I wear my bibs under shorts and a lose fitting shirt. Hard to find good moisture wicking shirts that aren't skin tight. I prefer them to fit like a t-shirt but with a zipper at the neck. Found these on Amazon and they should be here in a few days. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else have any links to shirts similar to this?
Old 07-04-21, 09:43 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yeah, they really don't want us porkers wearing their stuff. Bad for the brand image. Nobody wants Lampre Man as an "ambassador."
Oh Lawd.... I forgot all about that guy!!!
Old 07-05-21, 09:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Just turned 51 and getting back into cycling after about a 8 year break. I've put on about 20lbs and the old jerseys don't fit any more. Not fat, just not as slender as I used to be. Used to wear the whole racing kit, now I wear my bibs under shorts and a lose fitting shirt. Hard to find good moisture wicking shirts that aren't skin tight. I prefer them to fit like a t-shirt but with a zipper at the neck. Found these on Amazon and they should be here in a few days. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone else have any links to shirts similar to this?
The Garneau Lemmon 2 jersey is by far the most comfortable I've worn, especially in hot and humid weather. The fabric is unlike anything else on the market. It's thin, feels like fine, soft, brushed cotton, but it's all poly wicking fabric. The fabric under the arms is a bit different, meshed for better ventilation.

The fit is hard to describe -- it conforms to the body yet never feels tight. It's very stretchy. I can overload the pockets with a ridiculous amount of stuff for a century ride, yet it returns to shape later.

Lots of nice custom touches, such as subtle black graphics that are highly reflective at night under headlights. A silver-gray reflective strip along the pockets too, but not that cheap plasticky looking and feeling reflective trim used on some lower priced jerseys (including some of Garneau's own low priced jerseys). Four rear pockets -- the middle pocket has another smaller pocket over that, which I use to hold my trash from gels, Clif bars, etc., or, the past year, my mask in case I needed to stop along the way for snacks.

I can't vouch for the Lemmon 1, which appears to be unavailable, or recently released Lemmon 3. I'd be disappointed if the Lemmon 3 changed the fabric at all. It was perfect the way it was with the Lemmon 2.

The Garneau website shows a very limited selection of the Lemmon 2, but other online retailers still have some.

In sizing, the fabric makes this less critical. I'm 5'11", around 150 lbs now, but weighed 165 when I bought the jersey. The medium still fits fine, but I could go a size smaller. And the Lemmon 2 runs long in the tail, so you can wear it with shorts rather than bibs and not worry about the midriff being exposed.

Reminds me, I need to buy another before they're all gone. I got the Lemmon 2 in green in 2018 and thought I'd wear it awhile to see if it held up. It still looks good as new and is my most frequently worn summer jersey. I think I lucked into that one for around $25 from Amazon back then, but it's so good I wouldn't feel like I paid too much even at $50.
Old 07-06-21, 06:46 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
The Garneau Lemmon 2 jersey is by far the most comfortable I've worn, especially in hot and humid weather. The fabric is unlike anything else on the market. It's thin, feels like fine, soft, brushed cotton, but it's all poly wicking fabric. The fabric under the arms is a bit different, meshed for better ventilation.

The fit is hard to describe -- it conforms to the body yet never feels tight. It's very stretchy. I can overload the pockets with a ridiculous amount of stuff for a century ride, yet it returns to shape later.

Lots of nice custom touches, such as subtle black graphics that are highly reflective at night under headlights. A silver-gray reflective strip along the pockets too, but not that cheap plasticky looking and feeling reflective trim used on some lower priced jerseys (including some of Garneau's own low priced jerseys). Four rear pockets -- the middle pocket has another smaller pocket over that, which I use to hold my trash from gels, Clif bars, etc., or, the past year, my mask in case I needed to stop along the way for snacks.

I can't vouch for the Lemmon 1, which appears to be unavailable, or recently released Lemmon 3. I'd be disappointed if the Lemmon 3 changed the fabric at all. It was perfect the way it was with the Lemmon 2.

The Garneau website shows a very limited selection of the Lemmon 2, but other online retailers still have some.

In sizing, the fabric makes this less critical. I'm 5'11", around 150 lbs now, but weighed 165 when I bought the jersey. The medium still fits fine, but I could go a size smaller. And the Lemmon 2 runs long in the tail, so you can wear it with shorts rather than bibs and not worry about the midriff being exposed.

Reminds me, I need to buy another before they're all gone. I got the Lemmon 2 in green in 2018 and thought I'd wear it awhile to see if it held up. It still looks good as new and is my most frequently worn summer jersey. I think I lucked into that one for around $25 from Amazon back then, but it's so good I wouldn't feel like I paid too much even at $50.
That's a nice jersey. I always liked LG gear. I'm just not into the cycling jersey thing any more. I prefer shirts that fit more like t-shirts with an open, lose fitting bottom. Don't need rear pockets, but I like a zipper neck. Not a full zipper, just a 1/4 zipper enough to get some air flow. They are hard to find.
Old 07-12-21, 05:55 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I had a custom kit made by Owayo. They were on sale, and not much more than your 'run of the mill' jersey and bib shorts.
I've found their clothing to be incredibly comfortable and well made. And, best of all, you can order samples of the item(s) you're interested in in various sizes to try on, then just send them back and order what you know is going to fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.